• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do we have to go through so much to play a demo?

YamiKitsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1006-0928-7336
I see stuff online all the time about how huge it is that you might get "a chance" to play a DEMO of smash 4. Why don't we get our own demo on the eshop? Something to satisfy those that don't have transportation or time to go to these events. Its ridiculous that "getting a chance" to play the Smash 4 demo is so huge. Why can't we just get a demo on the eshop? Its not like they have anything to lose...

It's just really confusing and annoying.

Last edited:

Petrichor

Smash Apprentice
I see stuff online all the time about how huge it is that you might get "a chance" to play a DEMO of smash 4. Why don't we get our own demo on the eshop? Something to satisfy those that don't have transportation or time to go to these events. Its ridiculous that "getting a chance" to play the Smash 4 demo is so huge. Why can't we just get a demo on the eshop? Its not like they have anything to lose...

It's just really confusing and annoying.
This was sort of explained by a few people over in another thread about the demo. There are two major reasons why we haven't had a downloadable demo of Smash 4 yet:
  • Downloadable demos are usually made for small name games or games that desperately need to sell well. Smash 4 will sell millions upon millions of copies regardless of whether a demo is released, meaning that to Nintendo it probably isn't worth the time or resources.
  • The E3 build is extremely unstable and it's through sheer luck that it didn't crash during the invitational. As far as I'm aware no other early build has been released. Stabilising the E3 build takes time and resources that Sakurai may be unable or unwilling to spend, and could end up delaying the game yet again.
The two are sort of connected in that the demo exists, but would take time and money to stabilise (assuming they can stabilise it at all). But these are likely the two major reasons why we haven't seen a downloadable demo for Smash 4 yet. I'd say it's probably not going to happen anytime soon, either, since the game launches in Japan in just 12 days.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
In addition, I would be terrified of releasing a demo to you guys. Before the game is even out you'll have already judged it, broken it, and declared your final thoughts on it. Heck, some of you are already doing that. Releasing a demo for the smash community would be major risk from an advertising perspective. Word of mouth is extremely powerful through social media.

Trisongs

Smash Apprentice
that is very true ryuutakeshi. I was once turned down from a game because of a early multiplayer demo because of its mechanics that were bound to be transferred into the new game. All though I did pick it up another time when it was on sale.
However when it comes to a smash demo I would see players using there 30 play time tokens or points to form an opinion (could be good or bad).
But this is up for Nintendo to decide.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
Ryuu has it right. If they were to release the demo to tons of people it would be a nightmare. Much better to idea to just force us to wait.

Reminds me of how people are judging Starbound which is nowhere near complete.

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
FYI, Theathrythm Final Fantasy Curtain call will get a demo this week in Europe. Still waiting on that Smash Demo that DOES exist, Nintendo...

Raijinken

Smash Master
FYI, Theathrythm Final Fantasy Curtain call will get a demo this week in Europe. Still waiting on that Smash Demo that DOES exist, Nintendo...
Curtain Call is a fairly obscure spinoff of an enormously popular franchise. I doubt they'd have a demo if Final Fantasy was typically a rhythm game.

Like always, I would play the heck out of a demo, but there are more good reasons to not release one, that have been mentioned here and in the old thread, than there are reasons to release one.

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
E3 Build has bugs. No body wants a demo with bugs.
Also, for a game that's popular, I don't think it needs a demo.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I think part of it is the exclusivity. Going to best buy for the E3 promotion was brilliant. They made an event out of it.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I've seen popular series with demos EX: The "Tales of" franchise. And everyone should know that the semi is not the final product.
I've never played a Tales game, so I can't speak on it directly, but any demo I've seen for a game already guaranteed to sell millions involves some new feature they really want to sell potential customers on.

For Resident Evil 5, it was co-op. For Resident Evil 6, it was alternating campaigns. For Final Fantasy XIII-2, it was to differentiate it from FFXIII by showing off the new mechanics and non-linear progression. For Dragon Age II it was to introduce the voiced protagonist, dialogue wheel and new combat. For Mass Effect 3, it was the introduction of multiplayer. Etc.

Smash 4 doesn't have any such change. All a customer needs to know is "it's Smash", then see the box art with new characters that clearly weren't in past Smash games. No demo is really necessary and would likely be overly compensating.

IPaRTy

Smash Rookie
NNID
SuRRealIPaRTy
does Nintendo even release a demo thoe if the game is not out on shelves? and would a demo get released before the games actual release date or has it depending on the game itself ?. i don't really download demos from Nintendo so i don't really know. i just buy the games i like.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
@ IPaRTy IPaRTy : In general, demos come out shortly before the game releases. Typically the week-of. If a demo comes out significantly before that, it's typically a beta meant to test online servers and whatnot.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
I tried to play using a normal battle at Smash-Fest, but it had an error, and I was told that Smash Run was the only working mode, so that may count for something.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Also there are ways to hack into and view the demo game's files and with a popular and anticipated game like Smash 4 it is bound to happen. I am willing to bet it is haphazardly thrown together and probably has stuff they would rather keep hidden until release, especially if there are almost finished characters, etc. who didn't make the cut that might make a return as DLC in a separate announcement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom