• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people play Smash Bros competitively? [video]

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Good stuff, sheds a light on the competitive smash community. The competitive scene gets a lot of slack and is misunderstood, thought this is a good vid that helps explain why people play smash bros differently, and how that's not a bad thing. Coexist :p

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Good for the competitive scene because the big players play Brawl for the bigger payouts.

Ray Robo

Smash Ace
NNID
RayRobo
This was a great video. Players shouldn't bash each other because they play a game differently or prefer one over the other. We all love the same game; Smash so we should all respect each others' opinions.

SmashCentralOfficial

Voice of SmashCentralOfficial
I liked how in the comments he said "a random guy walked by and asked what we're doing tonight. We told him we're at a smash brothers tournament. He was surprised such a thing exists. "Smash brothers is my favourite game ever! But you know what I think is overpowered?? Fox's tank special, that thing kills everything!"
He was a casual player, but damn it if he wasn't enthused and excited at the idea of a smash brothers tournament."

This is often the response I get from people as well when I mention Smash tournaments. It really is cool to talk about Smash with people, on any level.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
It is a shame that so many people are just going to ignore this thread and video and more importantly the message.

Renji64

Smash Lord
I almost shed a tear this video was perfect. The fact sakurai is finally appealing to both groups. This game might not be as i dreamed about but i'm gonna enjoy either way. This video has even helped me respect brawl players more.

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace
Yeah I'm a very casual player of Smash Bros. Never really wanted to go to tournament, I know my weight class. And personally I think I have more fun playing the game casually rather than having to worry about knowing how to DACUS, edgeguard, Wavedash, DI, SDI, L-cancelling, advanced Teching, etc.
All my friends we all play the game causally we all win and we all lose to each other at times but most of all we have fun playing it. Do I welcome competitive players? Sure. I am always looking to learn how to be better at Smash. And I really don't mind if I get my but kicked because Smash is still fun to play either way.
I know I wouldn't last long in a tournament and I'm okay with that. I like to stay "intermediate" at the game. I still have fun beating my friends (when they don't beat me). And I feel that if I did know how to play smash like a tourney player then it might make it less fun for me and my friends because then my friends wouldn't be challenging for me. I don't know about all of you but I don't care about the win or the loss I care about the challenge.
And that's probably what cements me a as a casual player.

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
Yeah I'm a very casual player of Smash Bros. Never really wanted to go to tournament, I know my weight class. And personally I think I have more fun playing the game casually rather than having to worry about knowing how to DACUS, edgeguard, Wavedash, DI, SDI, L-cancelling, advanced Teching, etc.
All my friends we all play the game causally we all win and we all lose to each other at times but most of all we have fun playing it. Do I welcome competitive players? Sure. I am always looking to learn how to be better at Smash. And I really don't mind if I get my but kicked because Smash is still fun to play either way.
I know I wouldn't last long in a tournament and I'm okay with that. I like to stay "intermediate" at the game. I still have fun beating my friends (when they don't beat me). And I feel that if I did know how to play smash like a tourney player then it might make it less fun for me and my friends because then my friends wouldn't be challenging for me. I don't know about all of you but I don't care about the win or the loss I care about the challenge.
And that's probably what cements me a as a casual player.

Your attitude seems the kind of attitude coming from a non-tournament competitive player. You want to win against your friends but not in a stomping manner so you don't care about all aforementioned techniques so you can still have a challenge against them and get better without techs. Not hardcore competitive, but still sounds competitive to me.

Edit: Cool video. Hope it actually does something about all this Casual - Competitive war.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Amazingly well-done video. I think the best medium indeed is Casual/Competitive, the setting Melee more than succeeded at, and hopefully SSB4 will try to attain (but not being Melee 2.0).

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
It is a shame that so many people are just going to ignore this thread and video and more importantly the message.
The same way people ignored Sakurai saying he was thinking about us during development and blaming casuals for "making him ruin our game". -_-;

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Great video man. I really wish people would stop saying that there's a "right" or "wrong" way to play Smash.

Trav11111

Smash Cadet
I like the video. I agree that the're many ways to enjoy the game, but when I get the game and want to play randomly against people I really hope I don't keep getting taunt parties. I'm not saying people can't have fun playing that way, but I don't and I expect to be "smashing" other people when I play online.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Competitive players hate casual players because they like Brawl, which is the anti-christ of the competitive community because it's not Melee 2.0.

Casual players hate competitive players because they are constantly ****ting on us for liking Brawl and treating Melee like the Jesus Christ of the Smash community.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Great video, Conda! I really appreciated your message and I like the visual presentation of your clip.

I'm mostly a casual Super Smash Bros. player but I have and enjoy all three games in the series. I'll probably buy a Wii U for Mario Kart 8 but the next game I buy for the system is certain to be the new Smash Bros. installment. Hopefully the on-line will be improved and inviting to both casual and competitive players alike.

Thanks again for your wonderful video!

Competitive players hate casual players because they like Brawl, which is the anti-christ of the competitive community because it's not Melee 2.0.

Casual players hate competitive players because they are constantly ****ting on us for liking Brawl and treating Melee like the Jesus Christ of the Smash community.

Eh. Not exactly, but i'm not gonna get into that.

I really liked this video, especially as someone who plays both Melee and Brawl.

Top Bottom