• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people hate SF: Adventures so much?

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
The game played excellently, the game had a great soundtrack, the game is one of the best looking GCN games, so I don't get why it's hated so much.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I don't hate it, but the reason why most people hate it is because it's nothing like the traditional star fox games like 64 and the first one. It's like a Zelda-esque style game, people don't like a complete change, from the series that they like, tbh. Most people consider it a good game, but not by SF standards

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I don't hate a game because of it being different from others. I judge games on their own terms.

-Combat is boring, boring boring. I could probably win every sharpclaw encounter blindfolded. They were that predictable & repetitious. There was a particular intersection in the snow area that I dredged having to go back to because of the respawning enemies.

-Tons of items that you use once & then are forever clogging space in the inventory.

-Dungeons were frequently confusing to me. They seemed to lack Zelda's polish & care in their design.

-Flying levels were so pointless they might as well been left out entirely.

-Krystal's demotion & Sabre's outright removal.

-General Scales bossfight cop-out.

-& for that matter, a TON of story elements planned for Dinosaur Planet that was cut from SFA.

-The Test of Strength, why do so many devs assume I can button mash THAT fast (had to rub a spoon over the button in order to beat)

-Test of Fear sucked too. Why bothered showing something on the screen if players can't look at it?

-Pointless, adds nothing to the game, day/night cycle that changed way too fast. Making the BGM obnoxious.

So yeah, the game alternated between boring & annoying. What was actually fun about it again?

finalark

SNORLAX
Because the game was mediocre and forgettable, plus people wanted Star Fox 64-2. Frankly, since Adventures was the first Star Fox game I ever played I didn't have that disadvantage when I played it. To me, it was always just kind of a less fun Zelda.

RyanR

Smash Apprentice
This game was the first game I got for my gamecube way back in the day.
I only got it because I was a huge Star Fox 64 fan.

When I finally got home and poped it in, I was shocked "where is my SF64 clone" I thought.
Needles to say I hated it and didn't play it.

But then about a year ago I decided to pick it up again and play through it.
In all honesty its an average "Zelda clone" at best. (I get bored with it really quickly)
If people go into it without super high expectations then I think they'll find some fun out of it.
And you can find it for pretty cheap now a days.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
People didn't like the game for a few reasons. Even though I can't say for sure if it's actually really all that bad, having not played it. I can at least give off the perspective of a guy whose heard word of mouth. Here's the three biggest complaints I've heard and seen. One, it was a Star Fox game with little to no flying segments. Two, it played like a lamer version of Zelda. And Three what little Star Fox elements that were present, were merely shoehorned.

From what I've seen, it isn't terrible. But by no means is it spectacular. It should've just stayed as Dinosaur Planet. But hey, at least we got Star Fox Assault after that. And that game looked pretty cool. It had land missions sure, but it was at least still some kind of arcade style shooter.

1500th post, weird.

finalark

SNORLAX
From what I've seen, it isn't terrible. But by no means is it spectacular. It should've just stayed as Dinosaur Planet. But hey, at least we got Star Fox Assault after that. And that game looked pretty cool. It had land missions sure, but it was at least still some kind of arcade style shooter.

I actually really enjoyed Star Fox Assault, ground segments and all. Especially the multiplayer in particular, I had some really fun times with that one.

But it's a Star Fox game that wasn't on the N64 for its automatically bad apparently.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I actually really enjoyed Star Fox Assault, ground segments and all. Especially the multiplayer in particular, I had some really fun times with that one.

But it's a Star Fox game that wasn't on the N64 for its automatically bad apparently.

I did really like Star Fox 64, from what I played of it. But I can see myself liking Assault a lot too. The game seems to have a lot of flair, so to speak. Like it has really good presentation and junk.

finalark

SNORLAX
I did really like Star Fox 64, from what I played of it. But I can see myself liking Assault a lot too. The game seems to have a lot of flair, so to speak. Like it has really good presentation and junk.

I actually played the Star Fox games like this:

Adventures -> Assault -> Command -> 64 -> Original

I never had an N64 as a kid, hell, I only knew one person that did back then. I didn't even own a single Nintendo console or handheld until the GCN/GBA came out. Because of this, I really didn't have any sort of expectations when I jumped in Adventures and Assault. I will be honest, Star Fox 64 is a good game and has actually aged rather well, unlike most games from the N64/PS1/SAT era. But I actually like Assault more if only because 64 got a bit too samey for me in places.

Plus I actually liked the ground segments from Assault, clunky controls and all. It's probably because I didn't know that they "weren't supposed" to be there.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Star Fox Adventures was a good Legend of Zelda game. It was one of the most visually impressive games on the console with decent gameplay, puzzle design, vehicular sections (not enough though), and atmosphere. I always hoped that SFA would continue as a subseries, taking Fox and friends to other planets. Dinosaur Planet may have been a better game on its own, as a N64 original. Perhaps karma kicked Nintendo for forcing DP into a Star Fox game by tanking sales and reception and convincing Nintendo to sell Rare.

I still don't understand why they did that. Rare had done nothing but good for Nintendo. Retro Studios is now their new Rareware, albeit far more limited. They should allow Retro to develop an original IP stat! Maybe they've been testing them with Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong Country Returns. Pretty sure they're over-qualified now.

birdy21

Smash Cadet
Nintendo hated to see third party franchises be more popular than their own franchises.

Banjo kazooie vs mario 64.
diddy kong racing vs mario kart.

Dinausor planet was going to vs zelda and they did not want that to happen. They forced rare to change their game into a starfox game and delayed the game that was supposed to go on n64 because they wanted a starfox on the gamecube to sell the new console.

They made rare mad, rare afterward decided to change the happy and nice conker into a mature game with everything that is anti nintendo(drugs,bad language, alcool, etc)

Just look at conker's intro with conker slicing a n64 logo usin a chainsaw. The game of course got close to none publicity from nintendo, then later microsoft bought rare!

finalark

SNORLAX
Actually, Banjo and DKR were second party franchises, meaning that they might as well has been part of the Nintendo stable. Especially since, you know, DIDDY KONG Racing.

I'm pretty sure that the decision to change Dinosaur planet into a Star Fox had nothing to do with Nintendo not wanted Rare's games to compete with their own. I'm pretty sure it was because they wanted Star Fox on the 'Cube to get it to sell.

Plus that proposition is pretty absurd, Mario is an icon recognized world over. Banjo and DKR have never reached that level of popularity.

Last edited:

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Like people have already said, it is generally looked down upon for being nothing like SF64. Even with that being the truth however, I have still heard many good opinions about the game, as well as have a good opinion about the game, myself. If you play it with an open mind, and try to expand your mind from SF64, it can actually be quite enjoyable; and that's coming from someone that has SF64 listed as their favorite game. It is practically exactly like replacing Link with Fox, the Master Sword with Krystal's staff, and Hyrule with Dinosaur Planet; and I'm sure a bunch of other Zelda-esque things. BUT, it's Zelda-like gameplay I felt was actually a strength for the game. It's very easy to play and learn, and I felt it's storyline was, at the least, decent. The game was also one of the better games released on the Gamecube imo, and featured some killer BGM and (for it's time) some very nice graphics. Do I wish they released another SF64? Yes. Am I highly disappointed that they didn't? No.

Last edited:

birdy21

Smash Cadet
Yeah about didy kong racing, you need to remember diddy kong was created by rare, not nintendo, diddy never existed before donekey kong country. In diddy kong racing everysingle characters are creations of Rare.

Ive read some interviewsa abotu ex rare members saying they were trying to make diddy kong racing like mario kart more than mario kart itself.

Most critiques acclamed diddy kong racing saying it was mario kart without its weaknesses. Similar stuff were said about banjo kazooie,etc.

It created some fanbase rivalries too, not as big as ssbm vs ssbb or Cod vs battlefield. But still, lot people saying banjo kazooie was ''****'' cuz they liked super mario 64 more or other way around.

finalark

SNORLAX
Yeah about didy kong racing, you need to remember diddy kong was created by rare, not nintendo, diddy never existed before donekey kong country. In diddy kong racing everysingle characters are creations of Rare.

Ive read some interviewsa abotu ex rare members saying they were trying to make diddy kong racing like mario kart more than mario kart itself.

Most critiques acclamed diddy kong racing saying it was mario kart without its weaknesses. Similar stuff were said about banjo kazooie,etc.

It created some fanbase rivalries too, not as big as ssbm vs ssbb or Cod vs battlefield. But still, lot people saying banjo kazooie was ''****'' cuz they liked super mario 64 more or other way around.
Okay, let me explain why your conspiracy doesn't make any sense.

1: Nintendo is a company, companies exist to make money. Banjo and Diddy Kong Racing made them money, so they didn't care the possibility of them eclipsing Mario.

2: Rare was a second party studio, any profit they made went partially into Nintendo's pockets.

3: Companies look at numbers, not opinions. Mario 64 sold 11 Million copies, Banjo-Kazooie sold 2 million copies. Mario Kart 64 sold 9 million copies, Diddy Kong Racing sold 4 million copies. I'm pretty sure that neither one of those numbers comes anywhere close to "threat" range.

Last edited:

Justin Bailey

Smash Cadet
Because it was more of a mediocre Zelda game, and barely a Star Fox game. Personally I didn't hate the game, just didn't care for it or anything that came from that game after I beat it.

Now when's Krystal going to be in SSB4?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Nintendo hated to see third party franchises be more popular than their own franchises.

Banjo kazooie vs mario 64.
diddy kong racing vs mario kart.

Dinausor planet was going to vs zelda and they did not want that to happen. They forced rare to change their game into a starfox game and delayed the game that was supposed to go on n64 because they wanted a starfox on the gamecube to sell the new console.

They made rare mad, rare afterward decided to change the happy and nice conker into a mature game with everything that is anti nintendo(drugs,bad language, alcool, etc)

Just look at conker's intro with conker slicing a n64 logo usin a chainsaw. The game of course got close to none publicity from nintendo, then later microsoft bought rare!
I always wondered why Conker turned out the way it did.

But hey, we got a pretty damn good game as a result.

Top Bottom