• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Why do people dislike Smash Tour?

IceeKnight

Smash Rookie
Smash Tour is the funnest thing for me, It's interesting to collect all the power ups and characters, and duking it out in the end. Then I see almost everyone talking about how it's the worst and whatnot, and I don't see why. Why do you guys dislike it?

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
For me it's just too chaotic. I only played two matches of it and the only things I found cool were the strategic items and the battles(especially the final battle). I tend to feel that the board game part is far too random, it starts to feel like a mosh pit, and usually someone winds up with most of the characters just by dumb luck. I am probably not giving it a fair chance though. I just have no real desire to play it again whatsoever.

Raijinken

Smash Master
It's chaotic, lacks customization options, is too random (took so many tries to get that stupid Metroid challenge cleared, seriously that was one of the last ones I got out of the whole grid), and none of my friends like it. Particularly knowing that Smash Run was the alternative that is only on the 3DS version (that most of my friends have moved on from), it's just not a particularly entertaining way to play.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Also, the final scoring system is pretty bad: It doesn't really matter how many characters you've built up, because it's based on how many kills you get in the final FFA.

Random on top of random.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
I personally think it was a great idea, but executed poorly.

The mode is way too chaotic and you have nearly no control over the outcome. Making strategies is impossible because everything is constantly changing, and it's impossible to adapt.

But what absolutely killed the mode for me, was having the final battle have a time limit, as well as using the scoring system in time. It simply would have worked far better as simply a stock battle using the team you managed to build up.

What would I do to improve it?

First off, I'd make it so that each player has a turn separately. Having every player use an item at once and then all moving at the same time simply takes away any sort of strategy away from the game. Sure, randomness is good in these kind of games, but Smash Tour takes it too far to the point it puts Mario Party to shame.

Battles? Honestly, only the players that are actually in the same space should participate. It would make it feel more personal, and there'd be an actual reason to avoid or chase other players.

Something that should also really be possible is the ability to actually choose the character you want to use from the ones you have collected. If I have three different characters on my list, I shouldn't be forced to use a specific one in the next fight. Let me use the one I like the best, or the one I'd rather not lose. And talking about fighters, each one simply feels like a random button now, they're constantly rotating due to fights and items, and it's impossible to preserve one you like. How about making it so that the only way to lose a character is by losing a fight? Doing that coupled with the ability to choose from your list before each battle, as well as perhaps choosing the fighters you start with, would make the whole thing feel like you're customizing a specialized team of your own rather than collecting a bunch of random slots.

Also, this isn't necesarily needed for the game to work, but just imagine it.

Remember the games in Smash Run? There was a Race to the Finish, a jumping event, a game where you had to defeat the most monsters... How about implementing the same mini-games in this thing? After each round of turns, a minigame could be selected at random (much like in Mario Party) as well as some other possible fun stuff, like a Multi-Man Smash, or a competitive Home-Run Contest. All players would have to play, winners are rewarded, losers lose a fighter. It would also be separate from plain battles, each turn you get a mini-game that's not a Smash fight, but if two or more players end up in the same space, they fight for eachother's characters. Doing this might make the whole thing a bit too similar to Mario Party on a basic level, but the whole thing about collecting fighters and ending it on one big battle with the team you have been building throughout the game would have made it more than different enough to be worth it.

And that is why I dislike this mode. It was simply a massive waste of potential. It could have been so much more with only a few rule adjustments, but we instead got a huge mess of chaos that completely lacks direction.

Last edited:

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
^In addition to all what has been said so far, it also pisses me off that we could have gotten better stuff instead of it.

The time and money that went into this completely redundant mode could have gone into new characters (ok, maybe a big stretch), or a story mode (something more simple like melee's adventure mode), or a better smash run where you can actually meet and fight your opponents BEFORE the battle (you know, during collecting power-ups), etc etc.

Smash Tour really isn't fun at all.
Even Mario Party had a balance between luck and skills. (Can only talk for the first 4 Mario Party games though, haven't played anything after 4)

I'm sad that they wasted part of their budget on this nonsense. : (

But oh well...

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
what is there to like about it??
just play Mario Party, you'll get a 10x better gaming experience out of it...

I played it once just to try it, and never played it again... it's the dumbest thing I've ever seen in smash.

would be nice if I could play smash run on the big screen while my brother connects his 3DS to my WiiU and plays with me.
at least there's some quality that could've been in sm4sh.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
To me, it's a disappointing excuse for Smash Run. At least on 3DS, I can play a few rounds of Smash Run and get some enjoyment out of it. It's nowhere near as good as SSE (which I really liked), nor is it anywhere on par with Melee's Adventure Mode. However, it is a decent mode, and the power-ups make sense.

Tour, on the other hand, is chaotic for the sake of being chaotic. Its one saving grace is the fact that it always makes the CPUs a low enough level that I can win 90% of the time. It seems every time I play, I end up angry at the game. Why do I drop three characters when I get launched, but nobody else does? How can I go from 10 characters one turn to only two the next? Wait, I need to try to get everyone out at 300% while they all have hammers or I lose my main? I usually end up with a team of my worst characters, and just get nothing but annoyance out of it.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
Smash Run blows Smash Tour out of the water in terms of fun, the final battle could have been its own unique mode, which is a shame because that's the most interesting/fun bit of the entire thing for many people who dislike Smash Tour.

Also, some of the Challenges that Tour have are a bit too luck-based when it comes to accomplishing them, or generally tedious to complete, potentially egging you into wasting a precious hammer.

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
I think it's a design flaw that there are AI players in Smash Tour.

Getting screwed over by my friends is fun. Getting screwed over by AI is tedious. Especially when you have a certain Challenge goal in mind.

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I can enjoy this mode when I'm more or less playing for the heck of it and I'm in the mood to play some random characters and/or farming crazy orders etc. I have a bro who hates the mode for many reasons stated above and a cousin who plays with me, again for the heck of it, cause we pretty much enjoy just screwing each other over (using Tingle when one of us gets our mains or actively going out of our way to snatch up said person's main). We easily enjoy the mode when we take it for what it is and have fun with it.

It is more fun with human players though obviously as most everything is. If anything annoys me about the game it's what Khao mentioned above, being restricted to play a certain character and not being able to pick and choose. I've had plenty frustrating moments where I had to send out a good main of mine in a battle of characters who are more or less subpar and jump into the battle only to have the CPU spawn with a bomb or hammer or something and lose in the first five seconds. LOL. I wish we could choose and pick who we wanted to send out.

Improvements can be made to it of course. I don't particularly get the dissatisfaction with how the final battle plays out though. With how random things are as the game plays out its turns, you can easily go from 10 characters to like 3 or something lol. So I do like when it comes to unfortunate bad luck where my cousin gets like 10 characters and I have just 3 of them, I still have a chance to win if I get more KOs than him and it's not dependent on lives cause let's be honest there'd be no way most of us could beat someone who had 10 characters when we had 3 (even more so taking into account all of the stat bonuses and random items making everything complete chaos) unless they all happened to be our mains and chances are they won't be lol.

Maybe if there was more strategy involving how you actually got the characters/a bit more effort put into how you obtained them than simply walking over them on the field, locked behind challenges or whatever (which obviously would have to be balanced out by us not being able to lose our characters so easily to random shenanigans). Then yeah I'd agree that the final battle being based on the stock score instead of time would make more sense. As it stands now you can easily pick up characters like take out and also literally lose like three characters that took you say five turns to get in like one turn. Getting/losing your characters is completely luck based most of the time. So the time score seems more appropriate to me based on that.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Smash Tour is obviously very flawed and poorly implemented, so I won't repeat everything above.

However with the right state of mind, it can be useful. I often let it run in auto-pilot to farm Crazy Orders passes. I once earned FIVE of them in one run, though admittedly I was actually playing for many of the turns. If you're just starting out and don't have much equipment, it is great for farming that as well. But if you already are approaching the limit of nearly 3000 pieces of equipment like me, I usually end up selling everything I earn there since nearly everything gained there is inferior to existing equipment.

I earned nearly every Smash Tour "challenge" within the first few games before I even knew any of them were challenges, so here are some tips on the ones that seem to come up often:

1. I cleared the Metroid challenge in my second game ever, long before I thought of using 4 GameCube controllers, so maybe I was just lucky. Even if you don't have four controllers handy, just acquire the Excitebike item, DON'T move, let the Metroid hit you, and then you have an easy shot at getting your stats back. Even on a GameCube controller with no Home button, you can roll sixes all the time just by pausing the game approximately between a 4 and 5, then unpause and quickly hit the A button. With free roam to move 12 spaces, this challenge is a breeze.

2. Finishing with ten fighters is obviously a no-brainer with four controllers. Barring that, the challenge is easiest on the largest board. Keep your distance from the others to avoid the dreaded chain chomp, and make handy use of the battle spots on the board if you don't yet have ten fighters. Initiating battles on those spots almost ensures you don't get launched if you lose a battle (barring certain items from CPUs.) Avoid those spots when you do have ten fighters.

3. The boss battle was my last Smash Tour challenge to complete, only because no bosses ever showed up in my first few matches. Again, this one is cake if you have four controllers. Just attack the boss once each with two fighters, suicide the other players, and you've cleared it. If you don't have four controllers, hoard Ore Clubs. Its wind is so overpowered, that Metalhead goes down in two fully charged strikes.

BTW, 5000 turns of Smash Tour counts as a milestone for those who can stand to play it or allow it to frequently play on auto-pilot. Heck, I have it running now while I type all this. Multitasking FTW.

Last edited:

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
@ D David Wonn , The problem with the most of the above methods is that you have to hope that the event spawns; I did 2 tours with turns set to 40, I couldn't get a Metroid to show up for the life of me. I eventually said "screw it," and wasted a hammer on that particular challenge.

PrincessDoorknobs

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silent.Rhy
From most people said I agree it's too chaotic. If I had people to play with though I'd probably enjoy it more like it's good idea, but also executed poorly but it can be fun still. At least I think so, but I don't enjoy it.

TroperCase

Smash Cadet
- Too much stuff for beginners to read and learn that doesn't make it any more fun (I'm looking at you, blue items)
- Not enough interesting types of battles. Special Smash modifiers are barely touched, there could have been better item set ones, and there's no rare wacky stuff like 3 vs Giant.
- Not enough minigame style "battles" (such as Home Run Contest, which is in here)

To be honest, outside of those complaints, I think it's okay for what it is: quick, chaotic, different from the main game.

It matters how many fighters you have. Generally, having the most fighters isn't any better than having the 2nd most, but having less than 2nd most is definitely a disadvantage, unless it goes to time.

Soup's On!

Smash Cadet
Smash Tour, after a few games of it for its unlocks, I've concluded is probably the saddest game mode I've seen in Smash.

You know those moments in other video games where a cutscene or event is about to happen, but the game lets you control your character for a while longer before the inevitable? Think in RPGs how there are those fights you're supposed to lose. Smash Tour felt a lot like that: my decisions, if they actually had any impact in the first place, felt no more or less important than anything else I was doing. There was no feeling or realization of "a good play", "a tough choice", "a big mistake": just endlessly doing Actions until it's over.

Smash Tour is controllable helplessness.

And what makes me sad about it is that it's not a stupid idea. There's other posts that agree that the idea itself is sound and could have worked really well. The problem is they chose to go Maximum Wacky with it. So instead I sit here staring at my Gamepad watching Smash Tour autopilot itself, fantasizing about the mix of luck-and-skill strategy board game we didn't get. It almost makes me want to try and create a "Smash Tour" to play online, using some external tool for a "board" and cooking up my own rules for how it'd work.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
@ D David Wonn , The problem with the most of the above methods is that you have to hope that the event spawns; I did 2 tours with turns set to 40, I couldn't get a Metroid to show up for the life of me. I eventually said "screw it," and wasted a hammer on that particular challenge.
If by 40, you mean two games each at 20 turns, I always recommend going with 25 turns. You have the greatest chance of spawning more random events and consequently clearing the challenges with the maximum number of turns available. I usually see a Metroid and / or boss every other game as very rough approximations. Surprisingly often both appear in the same game. Maybe their frequency increases since clearing the challenges? They definitely did not want to spawn as often in my very early days of playing, oddly.

Personally I found the headgear and 50,000 blocks challenges to be much more time-consuming, while All-Star on Hard with the entire cast was the one challenge that took me the better portion of January to clear. By comparison, Smash Tour challenges were extremely minor, but maybe I was just extra patient with the chaos of Smash Tour.

Strangely it has grown on me somewhat, despite its numerous flaws, but I like that I always earn stuff from it, regardless of how often the CPUs do the cheapest things all at once. Hit me with 100% damage, put me to sleep, then hammer me in the same match, but I always get the last laugh against the CPUs in the end with all the winnings, even if I don't win the final battle either.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Because all it does is to rip you off. It took me DAYS and a lot of mentel insanity to get Pac-Land. After which, I signed a treaty with the game to never play the mode again, or even, look at the menu screen of it. Okay, I didn't do that, but playing it made me just about mental enough to actually try to do it.

First, you go in..... WTH????? ZELDA, ROB AND SHEIK ARE MY FIGHTERS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I SUCK WITH THOSE THREE AND I HATE PLAYING AS THEM!!!!!! Oh good, a Bowser Jr. Spawned next to me. I can use him. GADANGIT TWO OTHERS COMPUTERS ARE IN A FIGHT AND I WAS ONE TURN AWAY FROM GETTING IT!!!!! Ok, it's just them, I'm not part of it...... AHHHHHH WHAT THE HECK I'M NOT PART OF YOUR FIGHT!!!!! Oh, no items, I'm sure it'll be fine.

CPU 1:Start with a hammer

CPU 2:Start with a Super Scope

CPU 3:Start in Giant form

GOD DANG IT!!!!!! *Dies in 5 seconds* SRRSLY I DIDN'T EVEN GET AN ITEM WTH!!!!!!!

*Five Minutes Later*

FINALLY!!!!!!!! LUIGI, YOU HAD A SUPER SCOPE!!!!! WHY DIDN'T YOU ATTACK GIANT MARIO? Well, I lost Zelda..... Oh, Villager spawned next to me.Just need a 2 to get him.... DANGIT A 1. Well, I'll move that way... NOO A CPU PURPOSLY HIT ME!!!!!!! Well, at least I only lose Rob...... Hey, I might Win!!!!!!

CPU 1:Make another player start in small form (Directed to Player 1)

CPU 2:Make Another Player start without being able to move (Directed to Player 1)

CPU 3: Make another Player start with 100% damage. (Directed to Player 1)

*Dies in 2 seconds*

SERISUALY?????? WHATTTTTT?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!? THAT'S I, I QUIT!!! HOPEFULLY NEXT TIME COMMON SENSE IS USED!!!!!

*Second Game*

YES!!!!????!?!??!?!?!?!!?!?!? KIRBY, LUIGI, AND JIGGLYPUFF!!! AND SHULK's NEXT TO ME!!!!!!!!! AND A 6!!!!!! YES, I GOT HIM!!!!!!!

*Turn 14*

*Computers uses the swap Characters item (Tingle?)*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOW I HAVE GRENINJA, SHEIK, ROB, ZELDA!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!??!?!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I'M NOT PLAYING THIS!!!!!!!!!!

*Pretty much how the average Smash Tour game is*

But serisualy, how to fix Smash tour:

1:Remove Stamina Mode from Smash

2:Add a Smash tour final batlle-like mode into normal smash,along with Stamina, similar to Time and Stock (and make Stock the default mode, While they're at it)

3:Replace Smash Tour with Subspace Emissary 2

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
yea... not likely...
if anything that'd be an adventure mode (if they ever get any smarts to put one in), and another opportunity for them to F-up the annoying menu even more.
(the 3DS menu was really nice (other than the Brawl-ish style), but the WiiU menu is a disgrace)

if anything, replace Smash Tour with Smash Run like everyone wants, and make it compatible with 3DS

if my main arrives in Sm4sh, I'll have higher hopes for the game...
the high hopes of which were destroyed by all of the style, the not included content, the horrid content, the unruley gameplay, and the major lack of common sense that went into the programming.

if Sakurai wanted Sm4sh to be fun... there's alot he messed up on (almost everything in the WiiU version)
the only good the WiiU version has is the customs, everything else is just from OK to extremely lacking.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Because it sucks balls.
Too much random bull****.
I lose like 70% of the matches.
I end up using characters I'm not even good with.
I end up using characters I hate.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Because it sucks balls.
Too much random bull****.
I lose like 70% of the matches.
I end up using characters I'm not even good with.
I end up using characters I hate.
Exactatly.

Hey game, I don't like playing as Zelda. I suck as her. so HOW do you expect me to get anywhere?

As for the matches........ It's obvious Sakurai perfers No items, Fox only, Final Destination, that just proves it.

The only good part is the ending match, and even then, you can't choose what characters you can use (again)

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
I would at least like to walk around the board as Pika (or Pichu for once)
my only main is Pika (my better main is Pichu for his strength)... I suck with everyone else.

what's the point in playing something you can't win unless you're lucky.

As for the matches........ It's obvious Sakurai perfers No items, Fox only, Final Destination, that just proves it.
umm...
I know you're being sarcastic, but Smash Tour and match preference have absolutely no relationship...
it wasn't meant to be that way as not every player prefers those standards.

by those standards you must hate Smash Run as well

btw, this is another reason I hate Smash Tour.

Smash Run is only not customizable (that's all I have against it).
but Smash Tour... OMG where do I start with the list of things I hate about it.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
First, you go in..... WTH????? ZELDA, ROB AND SHEIK ARE MY FIGHTERS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I SUCK WITH THOSE THREE AND I HATE PLAYING AS THEM!!!!!! Oh good, a Bowser Jr. Spawned next to me. I can use him. GADANGIT TWO OTHERS COMPUTERS ARE IN A FIGHT AND I WAS ONE TURN AWAY FROM GETTING IT!!!!! Ok, it's just them, I'm not part of it...... AHHHHHH WHAT THE HECK I'M NOT PART OF YOUR FIGHT!!!!! Oh, no items, I'm sure it'll be fine.

CPU 1:Start with a hammer

CPU 2:Start with a Super Scope

CPU 3:Start in Giant form

GOD DANG IT!!!!!! *Dies in 5 seconds* SRRSLY I DIDN'T EVEN GET AN ITEM WTH!!!!!!!

*Five Minutes Later*

FINALLY!!!!!!!! LUIGI, YOU HAD A SUPER SCOPE!!!!! WHY DIDN'T YOU ATTACK GIANT MARIO? Well, I lost Zelda..... Oh, Villager spawned next to me.Just need a 2 to get him.... DANGIT A 1. Well, I'll move that way... NOO A CPU PURPOSLY HIT ME!!!!!!! Well, at least I only lose Rob...... Hey, I might Win!!!!!!

CPU 1:Make another player start in small form (Directed to Player 1)

CPU 2:Make Another Player start without being able to move (Directed to Player 1)

CPU 3: Make another Player start with 100% damage. (Directed to Player 1)

*Dies in 2 seconds*

SERISUALY?????? WHATTTTTT?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!? THAT'S I, I QUIT!!! HOPEFULLY NEXT TIME COMMON SENSE IS USED!!!!!

*Second Game*

YES!!!!????!?!??!?!?!?!!?!?!? KIRBY, LUIGI, AND JIGGLYPUFF!!! AND SHULK's NEXT TO ME!!!!!!!!! AND A 6!!!!!! YES, I GOT HIM!!!!!!!

*Turn 14*

*Computers uses the swap Characters item (Tingle?)*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOW I HAVE GRENINJA, SHEIK, ROB, ZELDA!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!??!?!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I'M NOT PLAYING THIS!!!!!!!!!!

*Pretty much how the average Smash Tour game is*

But serisualy, how to fix Smash tour:

1:Remove Stamina Mode from Smash

2:Add a Smash tour final batlle-like mode into normal smash,along with Stamina, similar to Time and Stock (and make Stock the default mode, While they're at it)

That's how I feel. The Cups do nothing, but play cheap and gang up on you to give you the foot in the a**. Also, everything I see a character like Luigi, Dr Mario, or Pikachu that I'm good with, Al either moves me away from that player with Boss Galaga or when I get my main, my fighters gets taken away from me, thanks to f***ing Tingle. 300% and High lanuch are the worst matches for me. Tingle is the pain of my existent along with Bus to the city, Dillon, Poison Mushroom, Wolfen, and Chain Chomp.

Top Bottom