• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do I suck at the game so much?

Sprenzy

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if it's my neutral game or its punish game or if it's lack of intellectual thinking but all I know is that I practice and play more than my friend but he could still beat me and just totally read me

He gets them crazy shield grabs and cc and don't even notice it, how can someone that's not even trying beat me who always trying? It seriously ticks me off

I'm such a failure

dvatch

Smash Cadet
New, more difficult things are learned through practice. They require a lot more mental energy early on in the learning process. Once you master these, and can use them without thinking, it will be much easier to focus on what your opponent is doing.

Your friend is good against you precisely because he doesn't practice and doesn't try. He sticks to his game and has a solid mentality. However, he will definitely plateau if he fails to practice. He will only improve at learning your play style and your weaknesses.

Keep practicing and you will surely surpass him.

EDIT: NVM you just suck. You dont practice very much tbh. Hes way, way better than you.

Last edited:

mangú

Smash Rookie
I have, under much stress and angst, often made myself the same question, and decided that I am a failure. It's a hard game, man. Maybe you are a failure. If by failure you mean that you've failed to achieve your goal of improvement, then yes, you could be. That doesn't mean you should value yourself as a person based on that. And that doesn't mean you won't ever achieve your goal.

I have a friend who doesn't know any tech. He doesn't l-cancel, he doesn't wavedash, he only edgehogs accidentally. I can be extremely technical, but that doesn't make you a better player. However, when I reached this conclusion, I decided to stop grinding tech, which was also a bad idea. You need to have consistent tech to be able to have a good mental game.

Now; I don't know how much you practice, how long you've been playing, if you have any tournament experience, or anything about you really. I assume you main Fox. If so, it's possible that maining fox and being a scrub is detrimental to your improvement since focusing on such a technical character without a solid foundation makes it much more difficult to gain that foundation. I know that was part of my problem.
Another part of it was training regiment. You have to grind tech. A lot. My practice partner grinds about two hours in the morning, but you need that tech so you can focus on more important areas, like your neutral and punish game.

The biggest problem that I'm certain you have is mindset. You can't be thinking you're a failure cause you lost in a game. Or cause you constantly lose to the same person. I can tell you from experience that nothing good will come of it except further delaying your improvement. It's possible you're going into autopilot, or not paying much attention to what your friend does, or a myriad other things. What you gotta do is force yourself to have fun, even when you lose. And force yourself to pay attention. Pay attention to why things happen, why you die, why he dies, why he does something, what bad habits you have, Focus on those things and fix them, or exploit them. I started recording my matches, and if you play on dolphin it;s really easy to set up obs and do that, which helps you focus on those things when you rewatch, pause and rewind, and it helps you focus on those things ingame once you've seen them. If you're getting too competitive, switch to Luigi and have fun for a while, go get some water, and then get serious again.

This thread has helped me with that, and I've only read the first couple of paragraphs, so give it a read if you want. Good luck man.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
This sounds like you have a lot of bad habits. If you frequently play with this friend he'll begin to recognize what moves you'll use and when, how many times you dd back and forth before approaching, etc. You should ask him if you have any weird patterns. After finding out what they are, play your next few matches but be conscious of these problems and try to prevent them.

Sprenzy

Smash Apprentice
I have, under much stress and angst, often made myself the same question, and decided that I am a failure. It's a hard game, man. Maybe you are a failure. If by failure you mean that you've failed to achieve your goal of improvement, then yes, you could be. That doesn't mean you should value yourself as a person based on that. And that doesn't mean you won't ever achieve your goal.

I have a friend who doesn't know any tech. He doesn't l-cancel, he doesn't wavedash, he only edgehogs accidentally. I can be extremely technical, but that doesn't make you a better player. However, when I reached this conclusion, I decided to stop grinding tech, which was also a bad idea. You need to have consistent tech to be able to have a good mental game.

Now; I don't know how much you practice, how long you've been playing, if you have any tournament experience, or anything about you really. I assume you main Fox. If so, it's possible that maining fox and being a scrub is detrimental to your improvement since focusing on such a technical character without a solid foundation makes it much more difficult to gain that foundation. I know that was part of my problem.
Another part of it was training regiment. You have to grind tech. A lot. My practice partner grinds about two hours in the morning, but you need that tech so you can focus on more important areas, like your neutral and punish game.

The biggest problem that I'm certain you have is mindset. You can't be thinking you're a failure cause you lost in a game. Or cause you constantly lose to the same person. I can tell you from experience that nothing good will come of it except further delaying your improvement. It's possible you're going into autopilot, or not paying much attention to what your friend does, or a myriad other things. What you gotta do is force yourself to have fun, even when you lose. And force yourself to pay attention. Pay attention to why things happen, why you die, why he dies, why he does something, what bad habits you have, Focus on those things and fix them, or exploit them. I started recording my matches, and if you play on dolphin it;s really easy to set up obs and do that, which helps you focus on those things when you rewatch, pause and rewind, and it helps you focus on those things ingame once you've seen them. If you're getting too competitive, switch to Luigi and have fun for a while, go get some water, and then get serious again.

This thread has helped me with that, and I've only read the first couple of paragraphs, so give it a read if you want. Good luck man.
I do have some of the matches recorded from netplay https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC1ZMXrrOaV9fGn98dbOhYw?spfreload=10

Sprenzy

Smash Apprentice
This sounds like you have a lot of bad habits. If you frequently play with this friend he'll begin to recognize what moves you'll use and when, how many times you dd back and forth before approaching, etc. You should ask him if you have any weird patterns. After finding out what they are, play your next few matches but be conscious of these problems and try to prevent them.
he could do it but I cannot, maybe that's the case heck I can't even figure out 20xx cpus patterns and people say that they are so predictable

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
he could do it but I cannot, maybe that's the case heck I can't even figure out 20xx cpus patterns and people say that they are so predictable
How long have you been playing with this friend? How about 20xx bots? It takes time to start recognizing patterns. Some people recognize patterns faster than others.

Sprenzy

Smash Apprentice
been playing for like a while now, just like 1-2 hours every week
how do I train myself to recognize patterns faster?

Last edited:

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
been playing for like a while now, just like 1-2 hours every week
how do I train myself to recognize patterns faster?
1-2 hours a week and you'll be 50 by the time you start recognizing patterns. Try learning about common habits in a lot of players, such as spot dodging when they shouldn't and shield stopping, and look for those

Lunar Dusk

Smash Rookie
just like 1-2 hours every week
1) Start playing 1-2 hours A DAY minimum to get your tech skill up to par. With Fox, you can't afford to get sloppy consistently on your techs.

2) Watch matches like Mango vs. MacD. Ask yourself why he doesn't get CC d-smashed. What options does he pick, when does he approach and how, etc. Or, watch MacD vs. lower tier players, and look at how he gets D-smashes. Try to find parallels between that and your play.

3) Play your friend's character a bit. Learn how it feels, how floaty it is, its air speed, ground speed, attack speed, combo potential, crouch cancelling percentage, projectiles, game plan vs. Fox, and whatever you feel he's getting you with. Understanding your opponent is half the battle.

4) If you don't succeed, die, die again. You probably won't beat him consistently after a day, or maybe a week or two, and that's okay. I had a problem with a Samus in my region, but I learned the MU and now I'm 3-0 vs. him recently. Just know that all the effort pays off eventually, if you're willing to invest it.

atara

Smash Cadet
Ok, I just watched a couple of your matches. You don't shine as Fox, you don't fsmash as Marth, you don't dash-dance at all, you don't know the meta, and that's why you suck. You played Fox against Samus, then your friend switched to Ganon, so you switched to Marth! Your preferred approach with Marth is nair.

You could learn what you're doing wrong by playing, but it would take a while, and you don't seem to be enjoying it. Instead, you need to spend less time playing and more time watching. Watch other people play the characters you play, preferably at low- or mid-level (top-level is OK but it involves a lot of tech you can't do); go to weekly tournaments in your area and pay attention to how other people play your favorite characters.

And if you want to get good, like, beating people who don't suck good, pick a main (character) and stick with it for a while (always/almost always play your main) until you can win at least two sets in the same tournament with said main. It's not the only way, but it's definitely the fastest.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Ok, I just watched a couple of your matches. You don't shine as Fox, you don't fsmash as Marth, you don't dash-dance at all, you don't know the meta, and that's why you suck. You played Fox against Samus, then your friend switched to Ganon, so you switched to Marth! Your preferred approach with Marth is nair.

You could learn what you're doing wrong by playing, but it would take a while, and you don't seem to be enjoying it. Instead, you need to spend less time playing and more time watching. Watch other people play the characters you play, preferably at low- or mid-level (top-level is OK but it involves a lot of tech you can't do); go to weekly tournaments in your area and pay attention to how other people play your favorite characters.

And if you want to get good, like, beating people who don't suck good, pick a main (character) and stick with it for a while (always/almost always play your main) until you can win at least two sets in the same tournament with said main. It's not the only way, but it's definitely the fastest.
Wow this guy tells it like it is, no sugar coating.

sace

Smash Rookie
frustration comes with every game.
every player is going to experience this no matter what.
but i perfectly understand since you're going against peach, - character that can be REALLY annoying at low levels. be more cautious of what you're doing agianst peach / stop autopiloting.

Sprenzy

Smash Apprentice

I just started picking random characters because I couldn't stand my fox being beaten to the ground plus the alway switch characters just when I'm about to get used to the character.
You damn right, I don't know the ****ing meta alright I get it but I think this my core problem is the inability to pick up on patterns.
If I could pick up patterns and analyze the high-level matches then I could have some chance of learning the meta, mixups and everything.

Could someone please help me train to be able to notice patterns and be able to analyze effectively? the only reason why leffen became so good so quickly is because he could pick up patterns quickly and figure out ways to practice efficiently

EmpireCrusher203

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-7161-9170
I just started picking random characters because I couldn't stand my fox being beaten to the ground plus the alway switch characters just when I'm about to get used to the character.
You damn right, I don't know the ****ing meta alright I get it but I think this my core problem is the inability to pick up on patterns.
If I could pick up patterns and analyze the high-level matches then I could have some chance of learning the meta, mixups and everything.

Could someone please help me train to be able to notice patterns and be able to analyze effectively? the only reason why leffen became so good so quickly is because he could pick up patterns quickly and figure out ways to practice efficiently
First of all, in order to git gud at a competitive game, you must understand the mentality and mindset of a competitive game. Give this a read, it will take you several days, but it really does open your eyes to a lot of things.

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/

After you've read it, i suggest you head to the melee library, a collection of super helpful articles and videos which basically cover any topic imaginable, from matchups to tech skill to practice guides.

http://www.meleelibrary.com

Lastly, in order to learn the metagame and form your own neutral game, you MUST watch others do it. Watch vods. Go to YouTube and watch as many melee sets. Take notes on every set. I suggest watching video analysis (i recommend druggedfox's videos), since the narrator analyzes the game for you. In order to play melee, you must learn melee, and in order to learn melee, you must watch melee.

CupNoodIes

Smash Cadet
Pick one character. for newer players I suggest Marth, Captain Falcon, or Peach.

Don't switch away when you lose

Don't call yourself a failure

Practice your character every single day for at least 40 minutes.

Do some major research on your character on Smashboards, Facebook, Reddit, YouTube, etc.

Ask others who play your character for advice

Be ready to become a student and accept that you're bad now but will get loads better.

Top Bottom