• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do I feel Ike is OP?

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Ok, so Ike is the most frustrating character in Project M to me. Whenever I play against my brothers (who is a bit better than me), they always beat me like heck when using Ike. Now, before you say anything, please don't bash me or be rude. I might be completely wrong, and that I only don't know Ike's playstyle.

Let's compare, well, maybe Bower and Ike. All of Ike's attacks are super powerful compared to Bowsers (except for the smash attacks and a few others). Bowser is slower than Ike. Bowser is bigger (easier to hit) than Ike. Bowser has worse recovery than Ike. Bowser has shorter attacks than Ike. And I think Bowser is not underpowered at all in PM, so that says a bit. All in all, Ike is in fact very quick in his moves (at least I think so), his attacks are super long due to his sword, ALL of his attacks are powerful, his up-special is very high for such a powerful and heavy fighter (plus that he has his side-special for recovery, too), his Neutral-Special has a super-armor and works as a meteor smash if you hit correctly, etc etc etc. I can't even get close to him. His attacks are fast as I said, they are super long, and only his side tilt and most areal attacks are more powerful than any attack of many fighters.

So again, I might be misunderstanding something, so please don't be rude, but I think Ike is OP as heck. AGAIN (haha!) please don't bash me, simply explain why (if) I'm completely wrong here :)

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
He really isn't. Most of his moveset is susceptible to crouch cancel unlike Bowser, his attacks don't do as much shield damage as Bowser's, his attacks in general are slower than Bowser's, none of his OoS options are even anywhere near as good as Bowser's Up B, he's lighter than Bowser and he doesn't have Bowser's armour (Ike has it on one or two moves, Bowser has it on half his moveset).

You see the flaw in your argument is that you're trying to compare to characters with very fundamentally different playstyles as though you'd play them the same way. Not only do I believe a lot of what you're saying with regards to Ike is hyperbole, but you ignore his weaknesses.

I actually think Ike is one of the most balanced and well designed characters in the game in his current incarnation. He's good, but not even close to being OP. He has some really cool tech and is satisfying to use.

SSS

Smash Ace
Ok, so Ike is the most frustrating character in Project M to me. Whenever I play against my brothers (who is a bit better than me), they always beat me like heck when using Ike. Now, before you say anything, please don't bash me or be rude. I might be completely wrong, and that I only don't know Ike's playstyle.

Let's compare, well, maybe Bower and Ike. All of Ike's attacks are super powerful compared to Bowsers (except for the smash attacks and a few others). Bowser is slower than Ike. Bowser is bigger (easier to hit) than Ike. Bowser has worse recovery than Ike. Bowser has shorter attacks than Ike. And I think Bowser is not underpowered at all in PM, so that says a bit. All in all, Ike is in fact very quick in his moves (at least I think so), his attacks are super long due to his sword, ALL of his attacks are powerful, his up-special is very high for such a powerful and heavy fighter (plus that he has his side-special for recovery, too), his Neutral-Special has a super-armor and works as a meteor smash if you hit correctly, etc etc etc. I can't even get close to him. His attacks are fast as I said, they are super long, and only his side tilt and most areal attacks are more powerful than any attack of many fighters.

So again, I might be misunderstanding something, so please don't be rude, but I think Ike is OP as heck. AGAIN (haha!) please don't bash me, simply explain why (if) I'm completely wrong here :)
The thing with Ike is that while he has relatively fast startup to his moves (fast compared to Bowser, slow compared to Fox), he has a significant amount of afterlag. You should never really be getting in on Ike. A lot of his stuff is easily telegraphed unless they're mixing up really well with their side-B approaches (side-B>grab, side-B>usmash, side-B>aerial, side-B>wavedash>whatever, etc). Even so it's easy to see what he's doing. My advice is to play more patiently and wait for him to do something wrong and then punish. Ike's main game also works this way, off of waiting to punish, so if you're losing to Ike a lot, you're doing a lot of stuff that can get punished. Then again, it's Bowser, who I imagine has a hard time with Ike. That being said, Bowser does have a significant amount of armor on his moves that can give you a free punish if he's too approach-heavy. After Ike gets punished a few times for trying to side-B>nair into a Bowser Fsmash, he'll be more careful with his approaches, and a lot less likely to approach. He'll be waiting for you to approach and make a mistake. At this point you should bait him until he comes in foolishly (try to make it look like he has an opportunity and then read him and try to use an armored move to beat him). If you're feeling overly pressured by Ike, upB out of shield does wonders for Bowser. Now this is all assuming you're playing Bowser, who probably (at least from what I know about both characters) has a bad matchup against Ike, especially since he can QD>JC Grab you out of all of your armor options. Ike isn't OP, I just think it's not a great matchup for Bowser. Also tell your friend not to use neutral special as a spike and to use d-tilt instead.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun

Who were you using to fight Ike? Cus I played against Coney's Wario and got wrecked.

Everyone else has posted Ike's flaws and how to beat him in general, but maybe you need something more matchup specific.

Une

Smash Apprentice
he has relatively fast startup to his moves

Lol pretty sure on average Ike's moves are noticeably slower then Boozer's

NQuad1Zero

Smash Cadet
Alot of my friends who I introduce Project M to have all told me that Ike is a little too strong/good, Ike is my secondary (Being a Roy main) and basically everyone have told me that my Ike is far better than my Roy (how insulting). So I can kind of see how Ike may appear overpowered, especially to less experienced players like you and me. But judging from theorising, his ending lag on alot of his moves, and his still relatively predictable recoveries (unless you're playing on Green Hill Zone and Dracula's Castle) and him being generally easily juggled (although that kind of applies to most of the cast) is what makes him rather mediocre. Ike;s Smash attacks are still like near impossible to land against decent players as well unless hard reads are made, and his Aether still doesn't sweetspot until he finishes the spinning part of the animation.

This is just what I think about him anyways

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Ike's quick draw can be used to give him a lot of speed, which in combination with his strong attacks can be devastating. However, he still has his downsides, most of which have been mentioned already. However, a lot of his out-of-QD options (jumping out into an aerial, u-smash, JCG) give his play a lot of variety.

Top Bottom