• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do actually good people leave in FG? T_T

holymario

Smash Apprentice
Seriously I had this for 1 hour straight now and stopped playing because I just got annoyed. Whenever I find someone who is skilled he/she leaves after the first match... Seriously... why? I had a lucky day and found 3 good people in 1 hour and they all just left. first one was pretty equal with me. I lost but only close, he already was at high percentage. He leaves without a message. The next one was a Daraen player who doesn't suck balls which made me glad because it was a ditto fight ^^ Again really close, he just made a dumb mistake and got stage spiked. I changed named to "nice match" he changed to "GG" and.. left. I was very sad about that one. The last one stayed at least for 3 matches. I won the first 2 really close. He captain falcon and I played daraen in first round and G&W in the second. 3rd round he took Fox and I choose mewtwo. He won that match and just left as soon as he could.
Are these people worried about their statistic if they play against good players on FG? Its annoying as hell to find good players that are on your level. And fighting against weak players is no fun for me. especially if they triple taunt after they kill me the first time after 4 matches... Sometimes I think why I even try to play smash without friends. Maybe thats why the the WiiU just was unused for whole 2 weeks. I used to play on a daily basis before I gave up on online matches. :|

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm, Pretty sure it's the stat thing. Also, I stopped playing for 2 weeks too, it was before Christmas.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
I'll admit that I used to do this until recently. It wasn't because I wanted to keep my win rate up, but because I was only focused on finding a player that could give me a challenge. At the time, the thought that some of the less skilled players I run into may also be looking for the same thing never occurred to me, so I would sometimes leave after one game if I won easily. It was only recently that I realized that my actions may have been hypocritical.

Nowadays, as long as I feel that my opponent is actually trying, they aren't acting like jerks or getting salty, and there isn't lot of lag, I'm willing to stay a few games regardless of skill level.

Last edited:

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Haha
Yeah, that happens to me too.

I have a "gotta win twice in a row" rule because, who knows, maybe they weren't their main or maybe they'll beat me the second time. Winning once could have just been luck, y'know?

So I give everyone (unless it's lagging), two tries and I'll only leave them after two wins in a row.

I'll be playing the worst people and I really don't wanna play them again, but I'm always like "c'mon, you hate it when people leave you after one match and you're not your main". So I stay.

Then when I finally play someone who can beat me...they leave. And it's usually the ones who taunt. If they don't taunt, they're likely to stay.

Tweens. Watcha gonna do?

Nah

Smash Champion
They might have a legitimate reason for leaving, like they only had time for that one match and then had to go do something important or something.

And sometimes, like Nexin, I'll leave after the first match because I'm not interested in inflating my win rate with wins from people I beat kinda hard, and kinda hope to run into someone skilled in the desperate hope that maybe I'll get better from fighting someone skilled. Never really thought that other people might be sad at me leaving early because they think I'm skilled and want to fight a skilled player cuz I don't really think I'm that good.

I'll also leave after round 1 if there was significant lag. If it lags once, it's bound to lag again and I ****in' hate lag. i occasionally also leave after the first battle if i get a bit salty

Morbi

Scavenger
Sometimes, it comes down to character variety. I never leave a lobby if it is a good lobby, connection is the only aspect of the opponent that I care about. They can be a professional player, or they can be a scrubby dubby doo that just got the game. As long as there are no latency issues, I will not be the one to leave. However, one time, I was up against a Falcon and we played for literally over twenty matches. I was my main, Falco, for about three or four of those matches before I started to get bored (most people leave or switch by this time). So I started trying the rest of the cast to mix things up. I was hoping he would leave after match ten, but he did not. Eventually, I just left and quite For Glroy to go do something else. If I stayed, I have no doubt we would have been playing the game all night.

My example was extreme. But after a best of five of both players using the same main, most people probably feel as though it is time to move on.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
I do this for character and player variety. I can fight a ton of different people in a short amount of time. Also because there is a 50% chance the next match is going to be a mirror match(Why the hell are you picking charizard, you dont even know how to use him), or an annoying counterpick with an projectile camper or some bull**** like that(I'd still beat em though).

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
I generally don't quit at all unless my opponent lags a ton. Whenever I get a player that's good enough for me to go toe-to-toe with, we both usually stick around for quite a while. I fought a dude's :4zss: yesterday for an entire hour and a half before I decided to give it a rest. Even if my opponent REALLY sucks I won't quit for a while, because I know that playing people much better than you is the best way to improve. The people that I go even with usually beat me pretty badly 1st match, but I stay and manage to catch up pretty quickly. So, yeah. Good players don't usually quit on me, but that could be because I'm not actually that good and we're just an even skill level. Been awhile since I've been completely thrashed, though.

PerryEllis

Smash Cadet
Because Smash(fighting game) community are as bad as Destiny Community so I only play each player once regardless of the result and move on to the next opponent.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
It could honestly be for a variety of reasons, so it's hard to say to be honest. It could be maybe they wanted someone that could beat them, maybe they want a variety of opponents, perhaps they didn't feel like fighting a certain character... It can go on.

I know it can be frustrating to find a really good opponent who leaves after the first match, especially if you had a fun time with them. It's not often I come across some players who will literally get my heart going and have me shaking during the match. Those are the kinds of matches I wish I encountered more of and would love it if the person stayed for more. Those kinds of matches are as exciting as one can get for me; however if they leave they leave. I can't force them to stay or even hold it against them either.

As for me, I'll try to stay for the best 2 of 3 or more if I really enjoy playing against someone. If it's someone who I truly dislike (someone that comes off as cocky, overly passive player, etc) I will leave after the first match. I want to have fun, and I cannot have fun with people like those to be honest. I'd get more stressed/bored than get enjoyment out of smashing with them...

There have also been times when my friend is over and we're doing 2V2 matches where we have to leave after the first match if he has to go. So just keep an open mind. I know it can be a little upsetting but it's not like you can control it, so don't stress over it.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Seriously I had this for 1 hour straight now and stopped playing because I just got annoyed. Whenever I find someone who is skilled he/she leaves after the first match... Seriously... why? I had a lucky day and found 3 good people in 1 hour and they all just left. first one was pretty equal with me. I lost but only close, he already was at high percentage. He leaves without a message. The next one was a Daraen player who doesn't suck balls which made me glad because it was a ditto fight ^^ Again really close, he just made a dumb mistake and got stage spiked. I changed named to "nice match" he changed to "GG" and.. left. I was very sad about that one. The last one stayed at least for 3 matches. I won the first 2 really close. He captain falcon and I played daraen in first round and G&W in the second. 3rd round he took Fox and I choose mewtwo. He won that match and just left as soon as he could.
Are these people worried about their statistic if they play against good players on FG? Its annoying as hell to find good players that are on your level. And fighting against weak players is no fun for me. especially if they triple taunt after they kill me the first time after 4 matches... Sometimes I think why I even try to play smash without friends. Maybe thats why the the WiiU just was unused for whole 2 weeks. I used to play on a daily basis before I gave up on online matches. :|
Who the hell is Daraen?

I AKU I

Smash Cadet
NNID
murphed
Lag and extreme differences in skill level are the only reasons why I tend to leave after 1 match. Delayed inputs aren't fun and won't help anyone get better so there's that. On second thought, skill level gaps might not be the best way to describe the other instances where I would leave. I guess the only thing that matters to me is if my opponent is thinking the game through on a somewhat competitive level. I'll just style on them hard for one game and then be on my way if they clearly aren't doing this.

Providing that I have the time do so, I will always give someone a couple more shots even if I destroy them so long as I can see that: A) They know how to use their character; and B) They are putting some serious thought into their adjustments as the game goes on. This is really only out of courtesy though because I hope that players much better than me will grant me the same opportunity.

I personally can't offer any insights into why good opponents are leaving against you, but I recommend that you play offline with competent friends or online with members of the smash community (at your skill lvl) as much as possible. I've had some great luck with FG lately, but only go on it when I can't do one of the two things I just mentioned.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'll leave if for some reason, I'm not really satisfied or hooked on the one match or two.

In other words, if I wind up getting bored in the match for whatever reason, I'll most likely leave afterwards. I usually only get bored with the worst players, though.....

Toxicational

Smash Rookie
I play at least 3 matches unless im fighting someone terrible. Good players just leave because they have the "your not good enough to fight me" view or they're just getting bored.

Top Bottom