• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why did you choose your main(s)?

Why did you choose your main(s)?

• Total voters

Melonfrog

Smash Apprentice
I'm weird, originally I played as Bowser Jr because Iggy is my favourite Koopaling, then got bored and went with Bowser.
Then got bored and enjoyed Pikachu, dropped him went with Lucario, then Charizard, then Samus, then Game and Watch.
I then took about a 2 month break from the game and came back to play the new DLC, I mained Lucas and couldn't play as any of my previous favourite characters, but the cycle continues...
I dropped Lucas as lag online ruined his recovery, I then stuck with Roy as he is strong and I like his voice, but once again I got bored. So then I tried out Dedede, my favourite character from Brawl, really, really like him but then I tried Greninja and can't go back.
So now I am playing mainly as Greninja, but I bet that will change over the next week or two.

Edit: Throw Meta Knight and Palutina in the mix too, they were my mains before the Wii U version released.

Last edited:

AppleTart

Smash Rookie
NNID
AppleTart64
3DS FC
5129-4151-5077
From the beginning I thought Shulk was an interesting character gameplay wise. I wasn't very good with him and didn't have much interest in maining him, but one day I decided to look up videos of other players using him. Stumbled across @Jerm's Really Feelin' It combo videos and they inspired me to main him.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
:rosalina:- I love her as a character for her in-depth personality, her background story and her overall appearance. The role she portrayed in Super Mario Galaxy is the main reason why she will always be my all time favorite Mario character ever. And whenever a Mario game came out where she is a playable character, she is the only one I go with. Since then, she's been my most wanted newcomer for Sm4sh and I knew then that once she was revealed, she would definitely be my automatic main. Now that Sm4sh is out, I'm having a **** load of fun playing as her and she will be the only Mario rep I'll ever play as.
:4megaman:- Eh, long story short. His reveal trailer is what convinced me to play as him. He's also a fun character to use. I never played the Mega Man games before, though.
:4littlemac:- I never played a Punch-Out!! game before but once I picked him up, he turned out to be an awesome character to play as. Plus, I'm a huge fan of boxing.
:4falco:- Nothing really special about him. I did used him a few times in Brawl and I eventually picked him up again for Sm4sh, which I find myself using him more than I though I would. Plus, I'm a fan of the Star Fox games.
:4ganondorf:- Personally, he's my favorite Nintendo villain ever and I had a lot of fun playing as him in Brawl and now Sm4sh. And even though his movesets are somewhat identical to Captain Falcon's, they're pretty satisfying in my book. Plus, I got a thing for heavyweight fighters like him.
:4myfriends:- Now at first, I didn't really care about him or Marth until I played my first Fire Emblem game in the series, which was Awakening. Since then, I got interested in picking up Ike and after a while, he eventually grew on me. I even tried Marth as well but he didn't really work out for me. Ike is once again one of my mains in Sm4sh and having a great time with him. And just like Ganondorf, I got a thing for heavyweight fighters.
:4link:- He's been one of my mains since the beginning of Smash. At the time, I didn't know anything about the Zelda games and when I played him, I eventually grew fond of the way he plays. I eventually would play as him again throughout the series all the way up to Sm4sh and he never ceases to amaze me. Years have passed since then when I started playing my first Zelda game in the series, which was Twilight Princess, and it would then become one of my favorite Nintendo franchises ever.

pbjezgoud

Smash Cadet
NNID
PBJezGOUD
I can't commit to any characters as of yet either, but here are a few I enjoy.

:4pikachu: He is fun to play as and I really like combo characters.

:4falco: He was my favorite in Melee and Brawl. I'm just finding now that he is a wonderful character in Sm4sh. He may replace Pikachu soon.

:4mario: Combos...that is all. haha

Other characters I'm deciding on:
:4ness:, :4metaknight:, :4diddy:, :4sheik:, :4marth:, :4sonic:, :4pit:, :4darkpit:, :4bowser:, :4dedede:, :4fox:

All in all, I love the play styles. The only character I chose because I like them for who they are, was Falco, Ness, Dedede, and Bowser.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
I was originally a Luigi main due to just enjoying the character as a whole (personality and such)

But I fell in love with Roy's play style the minute I picked him up, and I've been doing really well with him so he just kind of stuck.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Metroid Prime is my favorite game of all time, so naturally I picked Samus in Melee. Since then, I've mostly played projectile spacing type characters; I've never played a Metal Gear game or Mother 3, but I liked Snake and Lucas' playstyles.

Last edited:

ewItsBoo

Smash Cadet
Saw Brawl at GameStop and I loved Pokemon Diamond at the time and when I saw Pikachu on the cover I instantly bought it, when Sm4sh came out I learned Pikachu, and had fun with him. Later, when I got Smash64 I also used Pikachu, but since he isn't that good on Melee, I chose Marth and having played Marth in melee I picked up Roy in Sm4sh when he came out.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
:4tlink:- Non stop maining for 8 years strait, with no secondary's... Because of this I am unable to master any other play style.

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
I figured I'd make a quick poll on the subject because it's interesting to me. Personally, my two main mains, Dedede and Wario, are both characters that I enjoy from their source materials, namely the Kirby games and Warioland/ware. A couple of other characters that I use, like Dr. Mario, are purely because I like their playstyles, as I've never even played a Dr. Mario game.

What about you? You can pick multiple reasons if you want.
Guess who else mains :4wario2: and uses :4dedede:as a secondary.

Anyway, I prefer lower tier characters and usually heavyweights. Some characters I love in games but not as much in smash bros like luigi or bowser jr.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I mostly play :4zelda: simply because she is the princess of Hyrule. Luckily for me, it's also the playstyle that suit me the most. :4ganondorf: is also a character that I like and that suit me well.

The exception is :4robinf: that I play more for the gameplay as I never played Awakening (and the fact that she is also a mage with twintails).

Lyserdon

Smash Cadet
NNID
420BlitzIt
When Smash 4 put me back on the hype train, I planned to learn both Melee/PM and Smash 4 simultaneously, and I quickly became very attached to Marth's movement and tippers in Melee. I mained him in 4 for a while, before deciding I wanted to have different mains in the different games, because two different Marths was too confusing.

Charizard has always been among my favorite Pokemon, and he seemed like a good balance of unique without being overly unconventional. Plus I tend to like heavies since they work better with my slow fingers and never die (DK 64 main rep). So I did a ton of research and started playing Charizard. Every improvement I've made in my game with him and every technique I master makes me fall more and more in love with the character. Eventually I abandoned serious training in PM. To seal it off, my first offline tournament was the fabled day of his throw buffs, and some wonderful soul here discovered and posted them before brackets started. I felt like a god surprising people with dthrow combos and uthrow kills.

But you want to know the real reason he stays my main? The most viscerally satisfying aspect of this character that makes me addicted to playing him and improving with him? Super armor. Fly is without a doubt the most satisfying kill move I've ever used. Flare Blitz is, well, iconic and stylish. And Rock Smash is Charizard's YOLO take on a counter that kills, shield pokes, helps him land, avoids edgeguards, breaks combos, and favorably trades with almost anything. Maybe the honeymoon will end one day, but right now all I have to say is

Zard til I Die

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823
:4olimar:: I didn't care for Olimar or the Pikmin series until I watched Chuggaaconroys let's play of the original game (I was a big fan of him at the time, not as much anymore though). After that I bought the second game and it propelled into one of my favorite series of all time. Tried Olimar in Brawl and discovered he fitted my play style perfectly and I continue to use him in Smash 4.

:4lucas:: Opposite of Olimar. Discovered he also fitted my play style perfectly when trying out SSE and he instantly became my main. Although I enjoyed his character in Subspace (his personality was like my real life self which appealed to me a lot as a kid), I never truly understood it until I watched chuggaaconroys LP of Mother 3 which really gave me a appreciation of him and his character (I have yet to play the game myself but it will be a day 1 purchase if they ever translate and release it). Of course as soon as he was released as DLC he became my main yet again.

Kamui Nohr

Smash Journeyman
:4alph:: Watched a playthrough of Pikmin 3. I like how he's the ship engineer.
:4zss:: I don't like Metroid 2D games too well, but her appearance in this game did it for me.
:4feroy:: Paid for him. Has my favorite playstyle out of all the sword users.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
When Smash 4 put me back on the hype train, I planned to learn both Melee/PM and Smash 4 simultaneously, and I quickly became very attached to Marth's movement and tippers in Melee. I mained him in 4 for a while, before deciding I wanted to have different mains in the different games, because two different Marths was too confusing.

Charizard has always been among my favorite Pokemon, and he seemed like a good balance of unique without being overly unconventional. Plus I tend to like heavies since they work better with my slow fingers and never die (DK 64 main rep). So I did a ton of research and started playing Charizard. Every improvement I've made in my game with him and every technique I master makes me fall more and more in love with the character. Eventually I abandoned serious training in PM. To seal it off, my first offline tournament was the fabled day of his throw buffs, and some wonderful soul here discovered and posted them before brackets started. I felt like a god surprising people with dthrow combos and uthrow kills.

But you want to know the real reason he stays my main? The most viscerally satisfying aspect of this character that makes me addicted to playing him and improving with him? Super armor. Fly is without a doubt the most satisfying kill move I've ever used. Flare Blitz is, well, iconic and stylish. And Rock Smash is Charizard's YOLO take on a counter that kills, shield pokes, helps him land, avoids edgeguards, breaks combos, and favorably trades with almost anything. Maybe the honeymoon will end one day, but right now all I have to say is

Zard til I Die
Preach it, brother!

:4charizard: all day, all the time.

:4pikachu: when I gotta go fast. He was also my main in 64 and Melee

And that's it.

There's over 50 characters and I only need my 2 favorite Pokemon (here and in Pokemon in general)

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
:4olimar:: Like some other people in this thread, I'm a big Pikmin fan and I was thrilled to see Olimar make to Brawl. I remember that before the game released I planned to play my first match on Isle Delfino with him and when I actually did that, I had no idea what I was doing. He felt really weird. I was tripped up by how his specials worked in tandem rather than doing distinctly different things like a lot of characters'. I ended up playing as him a ton in Brawl and while I never got good with him, he's still my favorite character in Smash and as such he remains my #1 in Smash 4. If I remember right, he tends to rank pretty highly in tier lists. That said, I don't think he's all that easy to get into, especially for people who aren't competitively minded, so I don't feel "cheap" using him. For someone at my skill level, I doubt stuff like that really matters much anyway.
:4ness:: I mostly learned about Ness from Smash and I liked what I heard and saw. I thought the idea of a bunch of kids with psi powers (plus Jeff) adventuring through "Eagleland" sounded really cool. I never had a chance to play Earthbound on the SNES though, so all I could do was use Ness in Smash. And that's what I did. Playing him in Smash 4 has been a sort of odd experience for me because of his buffs. I'm used to a worse Ness, so sometimes I do better with him than I expect (more so against coms than human players, I'm still terrible against humans). I also find landing PK Flash and side smashes satisfying, even if it's just against coms. Playing through Earthbound recently was fun and made me appreciate Ness even more.
:rosalina:: Ice Climbers were my #3 in Brawl and in the run up to Smash 4 I looked for a possible replacement for them among the newcomers. That replacement ended up being the Rosalina & Luma pair. Mario is one of my favorite series, I'm a fan of Rosalina's character and backstory, and enjoyed playing as her in 3D World, so I was glad to see her in Smash. That said, I think I might like the lumas even more. They're small and friendly, but willing to come to Rosalina's aid and fight alongside her if need be. So yeah, it's been pretty neat to see Rosalina and the lumas cooperate in Smash. Thinking about it now, it's a bit ironic that the character I decided to replace the Ice Climbers with is also a cooperative duo. That wasn't planned. I guess I just like co-op characters.
:4villagerf:: Animal Crossing is another series I've spent a lot of time with, so Villager was someone I was considering using before Smash 4's release. I wasn't really sure whether he/she would be one of my "mains" or just someone I played from time to time though. Trying out the turnip dress villager in the Smash 3DS demo and having fun with her is what ultimately solidified her as one of my handful of favorite fighters. Even so, I initially struggled a lot with KOing other fighters with her and she went in and out of my top 4 because of that. While I still don't really know how to use her "properly," I've gotten a bit better. Plus, I feel like she's definitely earned a spot in my top 4 now after being the fighter I used to clear 9.0 classic in both Smash 4 games. These days I associate Villager so highly with the turnip dress variety that any other Villager doesn't even really seem like Villager to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom