• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why did you choose your main(s)?

Why did you choose your main(s)?

• Total voters

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I wonder how many people haven't actually admitted to looking at tier lists for their choice. Didn't either m2k or zer0 say when asked about their mains consistently being the top tier character that the character just so happened to fit their playstyle? Maybe other people are using the same excuse.

I'm not trying to hate on people who go for viability, it just feels like the poll's results are a bit too skewed away from them.
Not gonna lie, I choose mains based on playstyle, and it just so happens that many of those characters are high/top tier.
I've been maining ZSS since Brawl and I've only recently found out she even was high tier there. I just like her playstyle, so I continued maining her in Smash 4 and she's high tier here as well.

I enjoy having a very aggressive playstyle and typically characters that compliment those are the high tiers.

I also main Roy; because he's my boy. But really because he's also really aggressive and always in your face.

Then there's Palu, who I understand I shouldn't play aggressive, but I don't care. I'm rushing you down, especially if I have customs on.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Because KOing the entire cast at 50% is fun.

Richard & Blaziken

Smash Cadet
NNID
Richard_Blaziken
3DS FC
1547-5283-8177
The moment I saw Greninja in the reveal trailer I knew he'd be my main in Smash 4, and I don't regret it, even suffering through the mountain of nerfs. I really enjoy his playstyle, his speed, his projectile game, everything about him. Plus, I battle competitively in Pokemon and Greninja was one of my favorites to use before being very justifiably banned in competitive play.

As for 64 and Melee, Ocarina of Time is my favorite game of all time, so being able to play as him was quite fun. As I don't like Twilight Princess at all, I stopped playing Link, since there's no emotional attachment there.

I mained Squirtle in Brawl. I didn't have a good time with Brawl.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
I absolutely loved FE:A, so that's why I picked Robin.
I picked Captain Falcon as a secondary because Captain Falcon was supposed to be the "cool" character choice, and then I liked his playstyle, so I kept using him.
I chose Jigglypuff as another secondary because one day I was like "I should learn how to play Jigglypuff." Not even joking.

Mr.Baconsock

Smash Rookie
:4rob::4pikachu::4kirby::4mewtwo::4ryu:

Those are my top 5 right now I think.

ROB is my main main. I started using him in brawl and loved what I could do with him. Picked him up again in Smash 4 and loved him even more. I find every one of his moves to be useful.

Pikachu I also got good with in brawl. Fun to use and quick.

Kirby was my main in Melee. Never stopped using him lol.

Mewtwo is my all time favourite pokemon. He's the most powerful pokemon. Glad he's back.

I've been a Ryu advocate for the longest time. I was ecstatic when he got in. I play a little bit of street fighter, and I find his move set translated well into smash. Want to get good with him.

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
I main Marth/Lucina because I love their playstyle in Sm4sh and I love Lucina in Fire Emblem: Awakening. ZSS I Iove maining also because of her playstyle too.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Watched Chibo play a few matches on 3DS with his R.O.B. Unlocked R.O.B. on 3DS. Went to town on the singleplayer modes with him. New main acquired. Objective: terminate all inferior characters.
Bowser Jr.'s moveset in general interested me because of the many tools hidden inside the Jr. Clown Car, and when I played him, he just clicked with me. Those first two characters I mained in Sm4sh were the ones that revealed my preferred playstyle to me since I didn't really have much of a main in Brawl. Though sometimes, I like to wonder how things could've been different if Mewtwo was playable in the base game instead of as DLC...

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
:4jigglypuff: I learned what her down special actually does, and the rest is history.
:4gaw:I've actually been playing him since melee when I was about 7. To quote my 7-year-old-self "I like him because he's weird."
:4megaman:Mega Man 2.
:4bowser:I always used him in Mario Kart, so I decided to use him in Smash as well.

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
I'm a giant hipster when it comes to competitive gaming, so I chose to main :4drmario: based solely on his low tier placement. Out of the low tier options that were available, he's the one I clicked with the most. (and he was pretty darn low, too) After spending immense amounts of time practicing with him, he's also the character I click with the most! I feel like he has an option for any situation, which I love out of a character. :) All other characters I play, I play only for playstyle reasons.

If my character selection was based only on my emotional connection to and history with the character, my main would be :4megaman:, and my other characters would be :4tlink:, :4lucario:, :4pikachu:, and :4kirby:. If Paper Mario or Classic Sonic were in the game, though, they'd easily eclipse Mega Man for the spot.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
:4dedede: is my favorite Kirby character, and I knew I was going to main him when I first saw they were adding him to Brawl. I've mained him in 3 separate Smash games now (counting PM) and though each incarnation is different, I've had a blast playing every version. I think my personal favorite is the Smash 4 incarnation, the options for stage control give him an interesting mental game and I tend to lean towards characters with a strong punish game anyways.

My secondary :4rob: I initially picked up on the recommendation of a fellow smasher as I wanted to find a character to compliment Dedede. As it turns out, many of the things I love about Dedede's playstyle show up in ROB's kit as well, albeit in different ways. Plus he can go even with some of the characters I particularly dislike playing as Dedede.

Kulty

Smash Ace
:4mario:(1st main) : My personal favorite character in the entire Smash series. He has been my main playstyle since the original Smash 64. Since I grew up with the Mario franchise, that's why I love Mario so much because of his fantastic gameplay and level design as a whole (especially the 3D Mario games like the Galaxy series in general). In Smash, like that I can rely on this character at any time, because not only he's just average, he's just so good with his combos, great mobility, good edgeguards.

:4feroy:(2nd main) : For this character, I haven't played a Fire Emblem game ever in my entire life, but I thought that characters like Marth look really cool-looking, because I really loved when Marth starts speaking Japanese (a language that I'm a big fan of since I start watching animes). I started to pick Marth back in Melee, and he was AMAZING, same goes for Brawl, but not so much for Smash4. This is where when I saw Roy being that good, I was like ''Thank God. They make him good!'' Even though I love Roy back in Melee, in Smash4, MY GOD, HE'S AMAZING! He feels like the Marth I used to play back in previous games, just without the tip. Fast mobility, good air speed, ok range but not as good as Marth, hits hard, kills early, good combos, good throws. Overall, ROY'S OUR BOY. NO LONGER A BOY, BUT A MAN who trained for one generation in order to compete against the best characters in the game.

Last edited:

Forty4

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThePriceIsWrong
I've always liked Luigi and Yoshi, so I knew I was going to use them. It turned out that they were hella good as well, so that's the frosting on the cake.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
It's a combination of all of these to an extent. The one I keep going back to, Dark Pit, is mainly because I enjoyed reading his story on the Kid Icarus wiki, particularly the redemptive aspects of it (That's why his white and red costume I like to call "Dark Pit found Jesus"). Nevertheless, I am aware that Pit is more consistent at getting KOs so I play as him also. Duck Hunt and all the Miis are mainly for sentimental reasons, the latter because my inner child still wants to see Goku in Smash. Peach was also a combination because she was my main in Melee but strategic in that I went to videos of Mew2King playing as her to learn how to improve my game (Armada's playstyle is harder to carry over to Smash 4).

Radiant Hero

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mattiroquai
(first post, so hello everyone!)

:4myfriends:: He's my all time favorite FE and just in general video game character. His addition in Brawl was a dream come true, and hearing that he was coming back in 4 was such a relief. I didn't even care if he was bottom tier back when it first released... besides, sticking with the radiant hero has really, really, been paying off with all these buffs he's been getting lately.

:4marth:: Honestly, I was a Roy guy back in melee. Then when I heard Roy wasn't coming back in Brawl, I started using Marth to prepare. Because of Marth though, I actually began getting into the competitive scene, and he quickly stole all the fondness I had for Roy (also being such an awful unit in his own game didn't really help me want to keep playing Roy).

:4falcon:: I love F-Zero, and I love the personality Falcon got in SSB. 'nuff said.

:4lucina:/:4robinm:: As much as I love to hate on Awakening for being such a bad game compared to most of the previous FE titles, I still have a soft spot for it I guess.

:4feroy:: Roy (and to a lesser extent at the time Marth) got me into FE after seeing them in Melee, which has now became my favorite video game series. Even though I dropped Roy for Marth for a plethora of reasons, he's still my boy. Plus, I fell victim to the hype of his return in SSB4. A little.

tl;dr I'm an FE nerd who loves his weeaboo swordsmen + Captain Falcon for good measure.

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
I mained :4marth: because of :marth: and I chose him because he was hot. No, seriously, that was literally the reason why I picked up Marth in Brawl and his playstyle carried over to Smash 4 well.. most of them.. RIP SH Double Fair.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
:4ness: He was my first true main in back in my casual days in Brawl, became my main in Project M, and I sticked to him since he doesn't suck in Smash 4. I enjoy using PKT2 and disrespecting people with PK Flash and Dair. And I was glad they changed the awful voice he had in Melee/Brawl. My favorite character in the Smash series.
:4feroy: Played him in Project M. I enjoyed his playstyle then and now. Marcina didn't pleased me, and Roy comes in, and he is an insta favorite of mine. His appearance, the voice, the moveset, everything about Roy screams awesome. Even if his recovery is garbage.
:4lucas:I started playing him in Brawl back in my casual days when I wanted to defeat Tabuu in Intense until I liked Ness more for serious matches. Then he came back to Smash 4 and I was like "might as well play him." I find him tedious to play yet fun.
:rosalina: I needed her for some matchups, then I played her more seriously, and started to like her. I started bullying bad players (specially bad Rosalinas) in online with Rosalina and I started having true joy.
:4link: The first character I ever played in Smash 4 (I'm not a boring one who started with Mario) and everytime I play him I remember a weekend vacation I went when I played the Smash 3DS demo. Besides, Link is cool and is currently the only amiibo I have.

Last edited:

Otsillac

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gobbledy-gooker
I main :4pit: because I've always enjoyed the whole jack of all trades, master of none thing, and I liked him better than Mario. I mean, he's got everything; good disjoints, a solid projectile, amazing recovery, decent mobility, he just doesn't excel at anything. I play :4fox: as a secondary because I think he's really fun and he does really well against heavies, who I have a hard time with.

Cyre

Smash Apprentice
I chose :toonlink: for somewhat arbitrary reasons. My criteria going into smash was that I wanted a character with white hair and a bow. Toon Link fit the bell and turns out that his play-style really resonates with me. I'm happy.

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
:4peach: Since Melee. I didn't have to think hard (or at all); something compelled me just to choose her. It felt so natural.
:4peach: And then Mario Kart for the DS came along. It never really occurred to me that I chose Peach before. I just picked her again because it felt so natural.

After that I heard about Super Princess Peach, and I knew I had to have that game. I really love bright, fun, and sunny games and I enjoyed it a lot.
Then brawl came out, so I just picked what was most familiar, which is :4peach:. She was very fun to use and I loved her turnips and float.
Then you know Sm4sh my :4peach: experience carried through.

She is an extremely fun character to use and is very interesting. The reason why I picked her is because she isn't so linear like other characters and her float mechanic is extremely fun. I get irritated with her sometime because I actually need skill and extreme patience to be able to use her properly, but, you know, in a relationship you gotta give some and you gotta lose some. :chuckle:

So I guess I was always drawn to her. I love Peach!! :shades:

Actually now that I made this post, I didn't realize that I loved her this much... Embarrass

Last edited:

CSWooly

Smash Cadet
NNID
WulfenGale
:4robinm:/:4robinf: - I saw his/her reveal trailer and I decided right there and then that I would main him/her in Smash 4

Last edited:

LMarucha

Smash Rookie
NNID
LMarucha
:4kirby: :4zelda: :4mewtwo: :4palutena: :4feroy:

Those are my mains. My MAIN-main is one of those. It depends on the day.

I went with these characters blind from knowing how they do in the tier list, actually. I like the characters themselves and their playstyle works for me. I always get unlucky because the characters I prefer to main aren't high tier, but they are the ones I play best with. I haven't checked Roy on the list but so far I am doing well with him. It doesn't matter where he is positioned to me.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
:4luigi:- Favorite Mario character. I liked him as a character and has been among my mains throughout all 4 games. His buffs in Smash 4 is just the icing on the cake.

:4falcon:- The sole reason why I'm a fan of F-Zero. He's my second consistent main throughout the 4 games. His mock superhero playstyle, speed-power fighting style, and combo ability makes him my second go-to character. His Smash 4 buffs were a godsend, he was almost unplayable in Brawl.

:4drmario:, :4wario2:, and :4fox: are more secondaries but I also like their aesthetics and playstyles.

Furret24

Smash Master
I've played :4gaw: for as long as I can remember playing Smash (I've been playing since I was about 6). Since I played him in Brawl, I also mained him in Smash 4 and eventually Melee.

I ended up with something similar with :4kirby:, but I don't have as much of a connection to him as I do G&W.

At the time of the reveal trailer of :4pacman:, I was really into the Pac-Man World series, so he ended up being my main until I got G&W. I ended up dropping him for a bit due to under preforming with him, but PEPESPAIN helped me get better with him.

:4duckhunt: really intrigued me when I saw that he was going to be in the game, so I tried him out and loved him. Plus, I found him to be a funny character, which gave him charm.

Scatta Tha Rat

Smash Rookie
Bowser was the first fighter i used in Smash, so he's always been a main. DK, as well, but I noticed he's more of a tank in 4, so I had to drop him to "Double-Exclusive Secondary." Wario took his place. As far as secondaries...Pac-Man, Jr., Ganon, R.O.B., Luigi, GW, Charizard, and a few others.

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
:4lucas:: I recently played Mother 3 and I grew emotionally attached to that game, like, a lot, due to personal happenings in my life.
As soon as they announced Lucas will return, I immediately knew that he'd trump my old main and that I will focus on him
to become my main.

:4wario2:: Always loved to play as him. Wario Land is wonderful, WarioWare is fun, He's the most relatible mario character, imo and I
just love his design and voice.
A fat greedy guy only in it for the gold and his own benifits? No damsel in distress to rescue or some other ulterior motive?
Fart jokes galore? Yes, Wario just feels so much more real than any other Mario character (except maybe Luigi)

:4dedede:: D3 is my "for fun" character, but I still love his playstyle. He is all about good spacing, Gordo traps and inhale-shenanigans,
which i totally love. One of my favorite characters for sure (Until K.Rool comes around, though!)

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
I wish that, just ****ing once, I could click that option on the bottom. Every ****ing game, Sakurai destroys or straight up removes my main and secondary (my secondaries in Melee and Brawl were Ganon and Wolf respectively).

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
:4drmario:: I originally played as Mario on N64 (and every game after) and I was pissed when they took out the original down B and replaced it with FLUDD so I just started playing Doc from then on. In melee too. Pure blood Tornado boyz.

:4kirby: : I've played him (like Mario) since I was like 5 on N64 and every Smash game after. Besides he's so cute who couldn't like Kirby?

:4lucina: : Well I originally played Marth in the other games but the sword swings in this game look much closer to how they did for Marth in melee for Lucina than Marth in this game. Plus Lucina is bae (no, not waifu). I do still play Marth tho.

:4ness: : My brother plays Lucas, I play Ness. It's been one of our rivalries since Brawl. And not to mention his expression seems hilarious to me sometimes.

:4feroy: : Like Marth I like him in Melee. Its always great to see him back and way more aesthetically pleasing in this game.

I try to play these guys throughout all the smash games, Mario and Marth replacing Doc and Lucina in other games they aren't in.

Last edited:

vypex

Smash Cadet
Played Melee back in high school and took a liking to :4sheik: , skipped brawl all together cause friends were doing there thing and I lost time to play, so when smash 4 released I knew i wanted to go back to my old character.

:4myfriends: picked up as a secondary, just so enjoyable to play being someone who is almost the completely the opposite of sheik, reading your opponent is a requirement for ike, so much so that playing ike has improved my sheik as i'm not just throwing out attacks now i see what my opponent is doing and I react with blazing speed before they know whats going on.

ShortcutButton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShortcutButton
I came to Smash last January or so from the TF2 competitive scene where I was since October 2013. It's your typical FPS comp scene, nothing I would recommend. I did play scout though. The Scout is known for his excellent mobility (hes the fastest class in the game) and weaving around his opponents to get a perfect shot, a meatshot as they called it. So I shouldn't have been surprised when I took a liking to :4sonic: for the exact same reasons, but I was.

I was never good at Brawl, being like 12 when it came out. But :pit: (as well as :lucario: and :yoshi2:) were the ones I always played. In Sm4sh :4yoshi: just didn't interest me :4lucario: was weak as hell, so :4pit: was the one I gravitated to.

Last edited:

Beach

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CallMeBeach
Always liked Falco and his lasers and dair and shine and whatnot but now even though they are all gone I still the little blue bird.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
:4lucina:- The day Lucina was announced I was really happy, because she is one of my favorite characters from FE:Awakening and was my most wanted character for Smash 4. Picking her up was a lot easier thanks to the fact she's Marth without the tip.

:4robinm::4robinf: - Now this is a funny story. The day Robin and Lucina were announced, I actually cared more about Lucy than our dear tactician here. But the more I thought about it, the more I was interested in Robin. And when I picked up my copy of Smash 4 3DS , I immediately loved their play-style, it was as if I felt right at home.. Still one of my favorite characters to play.

:4feroy: - He was my favorite character back when Melee and I were still young. He has that special place in my heart from my childhood and nothing's really changed. He was also the reason I got interested in Fire Emblem as a series.

:4shulk:- I regretfully never played Xenoblade Chronicles when it came out for the Wii, and I lack the New 3DS to get a copy of it. Alas, I watched chuggaconroy's walkthrough of the game and I know more or less the details of Shulk's journey.
When one day I decided to pick this guy up, he easily comforted with my play style involving spacing my opponent. His Monado Arts mechanic also makes him a really fun character to play, and he's one of my favorite newcomers for Smash 4.

:4kirby::4pikachu::4link: -These guys are my favorite characters since 64. Pikachu, my childhood's favorite Pokemon. Kirby, my favorite piece of star puff platformer. Link, my favorite adventurous tunic-clad hero. If I were ever to need a character to pick up in past and future games, these three will always be there for me.

Last edited:

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
Time for some drama.

:4ness:: Earthbound is like... my favorite thing of all time. And I loved each and every game of it's franchise since always. And how did I met the game? Because of this kid being on Smash 64. I love Smash even more than other people because it showed me one of the greatest game of all time, and Ness it's the representation of that love for Smash AND Earthbound. I got lucky that he got to be one of the best character on this game, but even if he would have been the worst character in the game, he would have ended up being my main and love.

:4megaman:: My childhood? Mega Man. Megaman X5, X, 7. Then got MMX Collection. Then Anniversary Collection. Then the Zero Series, Battle Network, Starforce, ZX, Legends EVERYTHING THAT GOT MEGA MAN ON IT! He was, is and will always be my blue hero, the one special hero that I learned everything from (Well, except shooting lemons), and that showed me the wonders that videogames (and their catchy music) had.

And he got in Smash.

:4feroy:: Nostalgia. First Smash game I remember playing was Melee, playing Marth vs Roy on Temple non-stop. Then I got to play his game and I loved it (Because I love FE). What else can I say? He just has the nostalgia factor everywhere

Top Bottom