• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why did you choose your gametag?

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
As the title says, I'm interested in how yiu chose your tag.

I play a crap ton of Monster Hunter and one of the big monstets is named Kirin. It ringed with me.

Last edited:

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
considering I just thought of a name swap but decided against it, this is relevant. so I'll go first.
my old tag was DJXYZ, since as early as 4th grade, to sound like I was an anonymous electronic music artist. but it eventually started to transform into a single word pronunciation, "di-jik-zys", and since I knew nobody would comprehend what eventually became a meaningless jumble of letters, I gave it some meaning and combined it with a high school nickname to become DJBor.

And no, I'm not a boring DJ. Nor do I want to be. But the tag has history and it's good history. And plenty others here have just as enticing stories behind their own tags, for sure...

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Well, I chose my tag in from my adoration of the fanciful Lola character from Hannah Montana, a past TV series I really got into during my senior year in high school (which was almost 10 years ago).

KirbCider

Smash Ace
My Game Tag is "KirbCider" just like it's my username here.

I chose it mainly due to the fact I used to be a Kirby main (been using Kirby since N64, but dropped him a year ago). Despite the fact I dropped Kirby it still works as I happen to main King Dedede now, plus I'm a fan of the Kirby series as it was one of the many favorite game series I grew up on. Not to mention it can potentially make my opponents assume I use Kirby and expect me to.

Of course, if they choose to assume so they'll be in for a surprise when they see King Dedede, ROB, or Bayonetta appear...

Other than that it helps players I face on For Glory/Online in general find me on here if they wish to and happen by some odd coincidence be a SmashBoards member as well. I also just kinda like it, even if it may seem kinda uncreative. Whatever works.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
People like to think "FamilyTeam" is just some random pretentious name with a lot of meaning behind it
Not really.
I was a child that liked playing Super Mario World
I loved it so much I wanted to make levels for it (this was long before I ever could've thought something like Lunar Magic existed)
I resorted to drawing a bunch of new levels on my notebook
When it came time for me to draw a title screen, I couldn't write that it was made by Nintendo because it really wasn't, so I came up with FamilyTeam on the spot.
"Family" because my family
"Team" because Sonic Team, which was another gaming related name I could remember.
Then the name just kind of stuck with me forever. Though I didn't start using this name on the internet until maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaany years after I started using it. Before I used FamilyTeam I just used random names I came up with on the spot.
Then I joined SMWCentral, which was a forum about hacking Super Mario World, and really there just wasn't better time for me to finally start using this name.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
Kneutronic came from my original tag that I used; Ken Neutron.

Ken is a nickname for my actual name, and Neutron is a play on my last name, which is Newton. This nickname originated from one of my PE teachers in middle school, and it stuck with me to this day.

Now I just have Kneutronic as my gamer tag because I felt that it looked cooler.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Dark = My favourite magic element from a long time ago when I was a kid. Still remains my favourite magic element.
Aura = I had a pretty weird obsession with that term. It was integral to the theme of a Nintendo yet non-original RPG based fan fiction I though about.
ful = Something cool to end it off. I was pretty surprised I thought of it like that! Powerful was actually the first thing that came up when thinking of a ending for my developed gametag.

It stuck with me in 2010 and I would not think of anything else to replace it. It's made me who I am, and is how I go in the world of the internet.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Tino is a nickname my family calls me by. It's taken from the last four letters of my full name, Faustino.

Big Green

Smash Rookie
NNID
keg2810
3DS FC
4957-3913-9423
My first tag, back in 2013, was Master of Yoshis. I guess I liked Yoshi back then.
In either 2014-15, I changed it to Big Green, named after DBZ's Piccolo from a crappy english dub. This
Since a friend has a handle with the Green motif, I changed mine to Bluey very recently (last month), after a line from Brawl in the Family.

I created this account in the second era.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My gamer's tag is Shizuka Kawai for these reasons:
  • Based on the character Shizuka Kawai from the Yu-Gi-Oh manga/anime. A sweet name, that.
  • Shizuka roughly means quiet or calm in Japanese. This also explains why I play Smash with the music turned off and why I'm on these forums no more than once a week.

pink

Smash Rookie
I played alot of CS with a group of friends and we all took one alias from reservoir dogs. Then most stopped playing and I changed to pink only.

Jaruto

Smash Cadet
NNID
JarutoATD
Back in my teen days, my life consisted of two things: TF2, and Mall Emo music (fall out boy, panic! at the disco, ect.), so I didn't have a constant name on steam back then and i wanted one. So i used to mainly play medic in TF2, so middleschool me decided on the name "Medic! at the disco" obviously referencing one of my favorite bands at the time and my TF2 main. I got annoyed with the name after i was confused if someone was calling for a medic or trying to talk to me over the mic. So while i was in a skype call we were talking about pokemon at the time my friend made a fake pokemon name called "jaruto", so i liked the sound of it and changed my name to "Jaruto! at the disco", and then it kinda just digressed into "Jaruto"

nonnonuru

Smash Rookie
There's literally no meaning behind my name to be quite honest. It's just a random jumbled up name I made up 10 years ago.
Pronounced: Non-Non-oo-roo. You can just call me Non or NonNon, though.

Faelysis

Smash Rookie
NNID
johnlequebecois
It's quite complicated

"Fael" came from a elf in the first age of LOTR named Faelivrin. I used that name in the par for some RP game in which I wrote some RP story. Then I kept the Fae for other name (like Faebora (came from Kaebora Gaepora in OoT) or

Then later, I wanted a name with the word "Lys" since I'm living in Quebec (Canada Province) and the Lily flower is signifiant but I found the word Lysis, which is a name used by Platon for one of his book (it's about friendship) In the same time, I found the English and French meaning of Lysis and it was good for me. So with all those defintion, it was perfect for me and kept it

So sometime I go with Lysis and if someone already use it, I go with Faelysis

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
It's quite complicated

"Fael" came from a elf in the first age of LOTR named Faelivrin. I used that name in the par for some RP game in which I wrote some RP story. Then I kept the Fae for other name (like Faebora (came from Kaebora Gaepora in OoT) or

Then later, I wanted a name with the word "Lys" since I'm living in Quebec (Canada Province) and the Lily flower is signifiant but I found the word Lysis, which is a name used by Platon for one of his book (it's about friendship) In the same time, I found the English and French meaning of Lysis and it was good for me. So with all those defintion, it was perfect for me and kept it

So sometime I go with Lysis and if someone already use it, I go with Faelysis
Quite the transition of forming your name. \[T]/ PRAISE THE SUN!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I use different names on every site.

Wario Wario Wario was just created on the spot. I had Wario on the mind, and since that was already taken, I just wrote Wario 3 times without much thought.

FINNTHEGREAT

Smash Rookie
NNID
FINNTHEGREAT
Switch FC
SW 0590 7208 0815
When I first started playing more multiplayer oriented games, I was also watching Adventure Time at the same time. Finn was my favorite character in the show, and so I used finn4271 for a while until I switched to FinnTheGreat around 2014. I forgot why I switched it to “TheGreat” (maybe because it had a nice ring to it), but it ultimately stuck ever since. I usually go by FTG or Finn for short.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I've gone by a lot of tags, MaskofGears, Ersatz, but nothing really had "swagger" to it or relate to who I was.

I'd gone by the sub-tag "The Fool" for a while, both as a Socratic and JoJo's reference. So then when I decided to make a tag based on my Italian last name, the word for "Crazy" or "Mad" stuck out.

"Pazzo", short and to the point.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
My tag was initially just Zatch but people kept thinking I derived it from Zatch Bell and inquiring about that.

Got the idea to add "iel" after using a close nickname "jashiel" when I played Shiek in Brawl. Just stuck with me since then, still love it and it rolls off the tongue nicely.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
Caravan Palace is my favorite band and I decided to take Caravan from their name. I also have a history of Roblox where I had the persona of being the coolest noob on Roblox. Badda bing badda boom Caravan of Noobs was born.

Most just call me Caravan but there are some out there who call me Noobs.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
'Sarki' is how I've gone by in most circles. It doesn't really have a meaning behind it. Its a name that came to me through what I can only describe as pure intuition. The earliest use for it was when I was about 9-ish, and my brother & I were going to start a Halo 2 team with our cousins (it never panned out) after watching the old MLG Pro Circuit on the USA Network. Sarki was the gold & red color palette I made for my Spartan.

Otherwise, Sarki means whatever I want it to mean. Apparently its the Yoruba word for 'king' and is used in one of their folktales to describe a serpent. I've seen it used as British slang for 'sarcastic' after reading V For Vendetta - except the I was replaced with a Y. Then I always see a bunch of Turkish soccer stars or something when I search it otherwise, as its a surname in some cultures. But it is apparently an Ottoman music genre too.

'Soliloquy' is a recent appendage to my moniker. I was pretty content going by just Sarki for years. Except there was one problem: there's enough Sarkis online installed in art communities, that my own art might not be as visible caught in the rabble. I am known for my verbose diction especially through writing, and soliloquy was always a peculiar word to me. Its a literary device for a character monologuing their subconscious thoughts & feelings to the audience, often portending irony or strife. Besides the alliterative & syllabic appeal, the noun suits my character quite well. I am something of a madman, after all!

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I like Mario. Mario shoots fire. Meteors catch fire. There you go.

I sometimes go by “Cygnus,” though, simply because it’s one of the coolest-sounding and most satisfying words ever spoken.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I picked the name Originality a long time ago when I was joining a site and I couldn't think of anything original myself. I'm a sucker for irony if you can't tell. It's stuck with me, with some of my close friends using Ori interchangeably with my real name (A few even calling me Oreo). Although unsurprisingly it's a name that is usually taken. I used to use OriScrub or OriSpacebear (Both of which have their own convoluted reasons) but I found them to be lacking recently so if I can't get Originality I've started going with some variation of BearWithMe, most often SoBearWithMe.

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
My tag comes from another nickname I was given long ago. One of my cousins introduced me to her online friends, and for some reason they all decided to call me Ricky. To this day no one truly knows why this name was chosen, lol. My cousin then started calling me "Ricky" irl as well, and then spread it to several of our other cousins our age along with her irl friends. So a small branch of our family along with a few other people outside the family just referred to me as Ricky.

Eventually I gave up fighting it and started to embrace it. Thus "Rickster" was born (Ricky was a bit too basic sounding for a game tag imo). However, I introduce myself as Ricky at tournaments and online. It's a funny coincidence that I go by a shortened version of my tag, exactly like my real name.

I like to joke that I could break off from everyone I know and start a new life under the name Ricky sometimes

Megakoopax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Supermario196
3DS FC
2320-6609-3767
I was 13 and Pokemon X and Y had just came out. I thought Mega Charizard X looked awesome, at that point I also really liked Mario games. So, I thought I was clever and came up with this atrocity of a name.

PixelSun

Smash Apprentice
Pixel - Love drawing pixelart.
Sun - Sounds cool

Although I'm currently holding another nickname at this moment.

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice
It's a respect thing, I'm way too young to be taken seriously (middle schooler, no joke), but I have a gift for writing, so I went with "Meritocracy", to represent the belief that I should be respected because of my skill, and not disrespected because I'm young.
Also, it sounds cool

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Well Michael is my real name and then Spikester refers to spikes something featured in reptiles which I love as my avatar shows.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

i love the Linux OS, and Sudo -i is the command for getting root access to the system and Princess Zelda is my main in Smash, so i decided SudoZelda would work just fine :-)

Top Bottom