• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why did we have to lose Dracula's castle?

Did you enjoy Dracula's Castle?

• Yes

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • no

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • Yes, But could be better

Votes: 14 22.6%

• Total voters

_rumbler97

Smash Rookie
This was one of my most favorite stages in project M as it felt unique. I liked the platforms as well as the large strike out area and the background art was amazing. Why did we have to lose it? Why couldn't it have been made into an alt of another stage? What stage will I use my castlevania remixes on now? I need these answers people! Also any note on whether or not it will be re added would also be great.

Kati

Smash Lord
Simply put it back in yourself by replacing something on the second page. Like Luigi's mansion where it was before.

Delfino's Secret has its platforms and is only a little bit smaller.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Using assets ripped from Castlevania Judgment was a bit legally questionable, so they couldn't keep it.

Captain Birdman

Smash Rookie
I liked Dracula's Castle, but the blast zones were just ridiculously far away. I personally enjoy Delfino's Secret more both aesthetically and as a practical stage.

Celestis

Smash Ace
Delfino's Secret =/ Fits in the game better since you know, no Dracula in smash. I dunno if the blast zones are the same, but the idea is.

The Party

Smash Rookie
I mean, Dracula's Castle was just kind of quietly ignoring the PMDT's self-imposed "no things that haven't been in Smash" rule. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
I'm surprised it got in there in the first place. Lucky that it did manage to slip in though, because mechanically it's a wonderful stage and I'm so glad it can live on as Delfino's Secret now - which likely would never have happened if not for that.

DarkMatterGaming

Smash Rookie
I did enjoy it honestly, but PM is already in a tricky spot legally, and if Konami caught wind of that... Oh dear.

interpunct

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EliteInterpunct
3DS FC
3110-5751-3360
I don't think they removed it for legal reasons. I guess we'll never know unless PMDT say something about it.

I do think it didn't fit however. And on top of that, that level for me wasn't pleasing for the eyes. Its was the colour scheme it had. I just thought the red was a bit too strong and I usually just ended avoiding it altogether because of it.

Last edited:

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I'm surprised it got in there in the first place. Lucky that it did manage to slip in though, because mechanically it's a wonderful stage and I'm so glad it can live on as Delfino's Secret now - which likely would never have happened if not for that.
iirc It was a Brawl Vault stage before PM became a thing. I'm pretty sure they just adopted Dracula's Castle early on in the project's life not knowing PM would be as big as it is now.

I don't think they removed it for legal reasons. I guess we'll never know unless PMDT say something about it.
Literally right here.
Not much more to say here other than this, lol. Sorry OP.

Last edited:

Juken

Smash Ace
Completely randumb and out of place.

I would've preferred that they used the Luigi's Mansion mod that kept the Dracula's Castle layout instead of making a completely different Delfino Plaza and Luigi's Mansion alt. Now there's a big ratio of Mario series maps and a bunch of the new stages (excluding Luigi's Mansion) that have unfitting music. I liked the layout/atmosphere of the Luigi's Mansion Dracula's Castle mod too, too bad they just did Delfino's secret.

Last edited:

interpunct

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EliteInterpunct
3DS FC
3110-5751-3360
iirc It was a Brawl Vault stage before PM became a thing. I'm pretty sure they just adopted Dracula's Castle early on in the project's life not knowing PM would be as big as it is now.

Literally right here.
Ah. I don't know who exactly makes up the PMDT. I guess I should learn the names of the people there. Do people with the back room tag make up the PMDT?

Still. Even if it's for legal reasons it doesn't make much sense imo considering they modded mewtwo in and roy, the melee stages, they were in past smash games but not in brawl so that's another legal issue right there. Plus the Jet Set Radio sonic skin. There's other things too as well but those are the ones off the top of my head.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Ah. I don't know who exactly makes up the PMDT. I guess I should learn the names of the people there. Do people with the back room tag make up the PMDT?
Yes. PMDT = Project M Dev Team. Strong Bad for some reason doesn't boast that banner cause he doesn't want to.

Still. Even if it's for legal reasons it doesn't make much sense imo considering they modded mewtwo in and roy, the melee stages, they were in past smash games but not in brawl so that's another legal issue right there. Plus the Jet Set Radio sonic skin. There's other things too as well but those are the ones off the top of my head.
Mewtwo, Roy, and Melee stages have all appeared in the smash series at one point, making their legal liability less of a question. Jet Set Radio Sonic is a costume, so it faces less of a risk. Plus, Jet Set Radio is an extension of Sega, which has closer connections to Nintendo. Castlevania is an extension of Konami, but nobody knows how far the Konami x Nintendo partnership has over Snake. Plus, the stage is from Castlevania Judgement, where other companies other than Konami were involved.

More legal stuff and ****, not sure about the finer details, but I'd wager this is it.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Considering Konami's current meltdown, I'd just stay as far away from them as possible.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
delphino's secret is objectively better for competitive play

the side walls are no longer blocked by the pillar models

the blast zones are pulled in to reduce MU polarization

The more simplistic textures look much better at 480i/p resolution than the overdetailed drac castle ones

Drac's castle was a cool looking stage that was well made, but it wasn't fit for standard definition IMO

interpunct

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EliteInterpunct
3DS FC
3110-5751-3360
Yes. PMDT = Project M Dev Team. Strong Bad for some reason doesn't boast that banner cause he doesn't want to.

Mewtwo, Roy, and Melee stages have all appeared in the smash series at one point, making their legal liability less of a question. Jet Set Radio Sonic is a costume, so it faces less of a risk. Plus, Jet Set Radio is an extension of Sega, which has closer connections to Nintendo. Castlevania is an extension of Konami, but nobody knows how far the Konami x Nintendo partnership has over Snake. Plus, the stage is from Castlevania Judgement, where other companies other than Konami were involved.

More legal stuff and ****, not sure about the finer details, but I'd wager this is it.
Idk why it still seems like a stretch to me. I'm not trying go against you I swear btw. It's just that usually when it comes to legal issues because of IP's just because the same company owns them it doesn't make the issue less severe.

It's true however that Konami is being very volatile lately.

Anyway I do prefer Delfino's Secret still. Although it could look a tad bit better imo it's definitely a lot easier on the eyes than Dracula's Castle and it fits way better the tone of PM.

Top Bottom