• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why did they take charizard jump away after glide?

narizard

Smash Rookie
I know it used to be a thing but I don't get why they took it away. I mean before he lost one of his jumps, but look at pit. His is faster and he retains all three jumps out of it. Why was it unfair for charizard to have at most a jump out of it? I don't think he should have more jumps or be able to glide more than once but should retain his jumps after the one he has at least.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I personally think they should take that away from Pit rather than give it back to Charizard. There are already too many characters that are almost impossible to edgegaurd atm. =\ Though in these cases it would also double as immensely effective gimping/edgegaurding power as well.

Or at least make it consistent between both of them. Example they both retain one jump after gliding.

narizard

Smash Rookie
I personally think they should take that away from Pit rather than give it back to Charizard. There are already too many characters that are almost impossible to edgegaurd atm. =\ Though in these cases it would also double as immensely effective gimping/edgegaurding power as well.

Or at least make it consistent between both of them. Example they both retain one jump after gliding.
I would be fine with that. That extra jump would be all I need. I just find that against a good player it's only use is to recover high. Using glide attack at all on them is a death wish since the glide sucks your jumps up.
Oh and pit can also use trials right from his glide lol that I don't care about I just want his glide to take one jump not two.

Last edited:

JOE!

Smash Hero
Pit and Charizard should instead spend a jump per glide. So instead of keeping a jump, you spend a jump to glide and have any remaining jumps available after to jump or glide again (with some sort of Diminishing Returns)

narizard

Smash Rookie
Pit and Charizard should instead spend a jump per glide. So instead of keeping a jump, you spend a jump to glide and have any remaining jumps available after to jump or glide again (with some sort of Diminishing Returns)
I feel like that could be excessive. I think gliding more than once would make him way to broken. I just wish that his glide went back to only removing one jump. That provides so much utility to use it for more than just high recovery. I mean, I use the glide attack sometimes but because of the lack of jump I find myself not using it more. The glide attack can easily be shielded or beat by other high priority moves.

OmegaPyron

Smash Cadet
Personally, I'd love to Charizard get that kind of Buff that JOE! was saying. He still isn't used competitvely, and I think it would help. I think it would also help if the rising fly move (Ground Down Special) could be used in mid-air too, at least once. I'm not sure how many jumps Charizard has, but because his attacks are slow, I think he needs these abilities to make him more competitive than ever. It's just a jump, or a Fly, and it's not even damaging etc. Charizard's Flamethrower is hardly a projectile, so he needs to close the distance between his foes easier. Let's look at Mewtwo's teleport. It is one of his best features, and for good reason. Charizard's movement doesn't even compare to that. Charizard's flights are newer than Brawls, but they need to be much better than they already are. He's the fastest of the Starter-Trio for a reason: let him spread his wings and FLY!!!

Also,
wouldn't it be neat to have a Final Smash? If Charizard, Ivysaur, Squirtle, and PokeTrainer go back to 1 slot with Trainer, they have the Final Smash AND keep their down special so they can't switch mid-game. Brawl made it possible to choose which Pokemon you wanted to start as by clicking the specific pokemon from their larger Portrait in the character select screen, so that should be enough for players that want to play as Ivysaur and Squirtle (default could be Charizard.)

Alternatively, if that wouldn't work, I noticed that Dr. Mario has the pills instead of Fireballs. Well, that seems like a second moveset all in one slot! Maybe the same can be done for the Pokemon? Ex: first 6 clicks could be Charizard, the next 6 Ivysaur, the last 6 Squirtle! Then, PokeTrainer, the Final Smash, and their new badass specials could work!!

Worst case scenario, taunts can be used as an attack. They can be used to switch Pokemon, while Down B still acts as a special. Up taunt could always go for the more evolved PKMN, whlie Down Taunt could go for the other. Here are examples:

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/Bra...er&SubtypeSearch=and&Subtype[]=PSA&Target=ZSS

and:

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/Bra...r&SubtypeSearch=and&Subtype[]=PSA&Target=Link
(Link's Up Taunt is his FS, XD)

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman

The thing is, Zard and Pit are easy to EG.

They don't put out any obnoxious hitboxes when recovering.

And whatever they DO put out can be traded with/stuffed.

BluntedMask

Smash Apprentice
Just use your double jumps to get to the stage first. If you get knocked back you have glide.

If you get knocked back again try to di high and use sideb.

On another note I would love being able to jump again after glide.

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
This would be a pretty big buff for Zard. I think the idea was to add a weakness to his near impossible to edgeguard high recovery. Double jump is your best way to dodge a juggle in most circumstances. Since he loses all his jumps, when he glides high he gains a free return to being over a stage for a relatively unsafe decent back to the stage. He still has tools to deal with this, but the loss of a double jump is pretty significant.

It would also add the very slight nerf of not being able to glide after two jumps... You can combo into glair, so that matters a little, though most of the time you have a jump left when you do this so for the most part it's fine.

While I'm always okay with my character getting buffed :p I don't really think he needs anything. He's doing fine in tournaments, and no one's reached his potential or has even gotten particularly close imo.

I don't think he'd be OP with this change, admittedly, but I do think that he doesn't need it.

Admittedly, I miss the days where you could jump out of glide... Maybe just make it so you can jump out of glide (if you had a jump left), but after your glide ends (be it from glide cancel or jump canceling it or getting hit), then you have no jumps? That'd be less of a buff, but would bring back the fun of using glide to follow for juggles/combos into something not glair. This could be used in conjunction with glide taking a jump, though I'd rather it not...

I don't know. While I miss it, Zard needs weaknesses.

Last edited:

JOE!

Smash Hero
Admittedly, I miss the days where you could jump out of glide... Maybe just make it so you can jump out of glide (if you had a jump left), but after your glide ends (be it from glide cancel or jump canceling it or getting hit), then you have no jumps? That'd be less of a buff, but would bring back the fun of using glide to follow for juggles/combos into something not glair. This could be used in conjunction with glide taking a jump, though I'd rather it not....
Yeah, if he could retain like, just 1 jump that would be so awesome.

Top Bottom