• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why cant I win at for glory

Gibstack693

Smash Rookie
I don't understand. I've played every character im seemingly half-good at (against cpus) but i always lose. People seem to shield basically every attack, no matter what. But whenever i use my shield, they just hit right through it. How does that even work??

I remember one time, i got put up against a peach, and 5/6 (yes, i counted) times, she pulled out a bomb from her turnip move. what am i supposed to do against that? it's ridiculous. I try playing as peach but i dont even understand how to play as her whatsoever.

My win rate is 10% out of 40 battles. 2 of the wins was when i fought against AFK players. Why do i suck so bad and how do i get better?

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
CPU's are not a good test of your skills.

People are probably shielding all your moves because you're being predictable with your attacks. They're hitting through your shield because they're shield stabbing you, which means your shield has shrunk to the point where certain moves will be able to hit you.

That Peach got really lucky with RNG. Don't get hit by the Bob-Ombs, that's all I can really say. And Peach is not a pick up and play character.

It's hard to tell you how you can improve when you basically don't give us anything to help you out. Try to be more specific with your question.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Practice makes perfect. You have to learn to take losses as a learning experience. Save replays and watch them, look for mistakes you can improve upon.

CPUs are bad practice because they don't adapt, they react based on situations (Try jumping above 3 cpus as Bowser and using a Bowser Bomb, watch them roll around like crazy)

Watch your shield, they can hit you if it gets small enough. Peach getting 5 bob-ombs...ehhh never seen this happen. But if it did, you'll just have to get on the defense.

Gibstack693

Smash Rookie
How am i supposed to figure out what characters im good at if 1. CPU's don't test skill and 2. I always lose?

How do I not be "predictable"? what is "predictable"? Because no matter what move i try to use with any character, they shield it. I'm not even joking. I mean, its not like I've never gotten a percent on someone, but you get what i mean. Almost every attack - any attack i try - gets shielded.

And when I try and shield - whether its midair or on the ground - they hit through it. Even when the shield is brand newly formed, i get hit full power by any attack.

And how am I supposed to be defensive against bomb ombs when, like i said, no matter what, characters hit through my shields?

I try to play Wario. I am fighting a Little Mac. No matter what move I try, he stops me with any of his punches, and doesn't even have to shield. I can't knock him off the stage, because like i said, i cant hit any attacks on him. Then I'm 2 stocked because he kills me in like a minute since he hits so hard.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
What people mean when they say that you are being predictable is that you are playing in a way that makes it very easy for your opponent to figure out what you are going to do next. This often happens because you have formed bad habits that you may not be aware of that your opponent is exploiting, and playing against computers too often form some especially bad habits since they don't adapt the way they play partway through the match.

One bad habit that is very common to see is that some players will always roll behind their opponent before throwing a smash attack. The first few times it happens may catch the opponent off guard, but if you do that too much, they will shield every time you roll behind them because they know you are about to throw a smash attack. There are many other very bad habits that are common, but I won't get into each of them right now.

When fighting a Little Mac player, you shouldn't be trying to fight him the same way you would fight a Captain Falcon or a Mario. His ground game is stronger than the rest of the cast, so you would be a fool to try and challenge him on the ground; however, calling his aerials pitiful would be generous, so your entire strategy when fighting him should be getting him into the air and keeping him in the air until you get him offstage. This is especially true if you play Wario due to him having some of the best aerials in the game. Little Mac is a character that seems broken at first, but once you learn how to exploit his weaknesses, he becomes ridiculously easy to fight.

Anyways, if you want to get much better, I'd recommend playing against some people from Smashboards. The players here are generally much better than those on for glory, plus since you will be in direct contact with your opponents, they can let you know what areas you need to work on and how you can improve.

Winnnn _AKA_Walt Piffney

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Winnnnnnnn
How am i supposed to figure out what characters im good at if 1. CPU's don't test skill and 2. I always lose?

How do I not be "predictable"? what is "predictable"? Because no matter what move i try to use with any character, they shield it. I'm not even joking. I mean, its not like I've never gotten a percent on someone, but you get what i mean. Almost every attack - any attack i try - gets shielded.

And when I try and shield - whether its midair or on the ground - they hit through it. Even when the shield is brand newly formed, i get hit full power by any attack.

And how am I supposed to be defensive against bomb ombs when, like i said, no matter what, characters hit through my shields?

I try to play Wario. I am fighting a Little Mac. No matter what move I try, he stops me with any of his punches, and doesn't even have to shield. I can't knock him off the stage, because like i said, i cant hit any attacks on him. Then I'm 2 stocked because he kills me in like a minute since he hits so hard.
Basically your gonna have to just play bro. Pick up some tech in training mode. It does wonders for your options in game. c -sticking aerials, shield grabbing, short hopped fast fall aerials, b - reversing, RAR's... but yea basically just keep playing. Is this your first smash game?

Last edited:

Gibstack693

Smash Rookie
When fighting a Little Mac player, you shouldn't be trying to fight him the same way you would fight a Captain Falcon or a Mario. His ground game is stronger than the rest of the cast, so you would be a fool to try and challenge him on the ground; however, calling his aerials pitiful would be generous, so your entire strategy when fighting him should be getting him into the air and keeping him in the air until you get him offstage. This is especially true if you play Wario due to him having some of the best aerials in the game. Little Mac is a character that seems broken at first, but once you learn how to exploit his weaknesses, he becomes ridiculously easy to fight..
But like i said, if he shields basically every attack, then how am I SUPPOSED to get him into the air?

Basically your gonna have to just play bro. Pick up some tech in training mode. It does wonders for your options in game. c -sticking aerials, shield grabbing, short hopped fast fall aerials, b - reversing, RAR's... but yea basically just keep playing. Is this your first smash game?
No, Melee was. But it's impossible for that game to test skill for me because it has no online mode against real players. Same with brawl since I never played online. And when you say to "pick up some tech" where do i start? Those words mean nothing to me if I don't know what to "pick up", and googling those terms didn't help. Also, how does fighting an idle AI help me train at all? And if im supposed to fight it on attack mode, then what's the diff. between that and just fighting an AI in smash?

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Grab him. Grabs, as well as special moves that function like grabs such as Wario's chomp, ignore shields completely. If your opponent is really just sitting in shield, then that is how you beat them. That is also the easiest way to get Little Mac off his feet in For Glory.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Watch videos! There's videos of how the competitive players play, how to do certain techs, etc. etc.
Search up video guides on your mains, or just read text guides here. Find out how to play your mains!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7Tqh9MN57X-dLX2HFjUXtWCjZLtLwUwS
This playlist has techniques for new players
https://www.youtube.com/user/mysmashcorner/videos
This channel has lots of other good techniques
https://www.youtube.com/user/VideoGameBootCamp/videos
This channel has a lot of tournament footage
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Category:Techniques_(SSB4-Wii_U)
This is a wiki, with even more techs! Make sure to check the top right corner of every page to see if the techs work in SSB4 specifically.

Some people say that For Glory isn't even good for finding out how good you are, either. Don't let the win ratio bring you down! It honestly isn't your fault if half the players you play are actually tournament players, and if half the players somebody else plays don't even know how to play.
Try to find someone close to or slightly above your skill level on For Glory and play them a bunch of times, too.

Also, yeah, grab beats shield. But honestly, against good Little Mac players, it's never as easy as grabbing them and throwing them off the stage. I don't know why everybody says that. o_o
Good Luck! :happysheep:

Gibstack693

Smash Rookie
Should I ever be using my down air as Wario? That seems to get me punished a lot when i try it. The grab thing works, but what do I do when i grab exactly? The opponent gets out if it basically instantly.

Another scenario: Fighting a luigi, he keeps getting the misfire with his green missile. When he's right in front of me, how do I dodge that within the 1/2 second between him using it and hitting me with it?

Whenever he uses it, and falls to the ground, I try to punch him while he's still in the animation. When he hits the ground, i punch him, but it does nothing, and THEN he shields? Wtf is going on?

Last edited:

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Generally, you should go to the Wario boards in the character discussion if you want more info about your character. I'm not a Wario player, but I'd say it is mainly for offstage edge guarding.

When you grab your opponent, they are able to mash buttons in order to escape more quickly. At low percentages, it is very easy for your opponent to escape while at high percentages, it takes a lot more time to escape, giving you time to pummel them. If they haven't then much damage, immediately press the control stick in the direction you want to send them so they will be unable to escape.

Nah

Smash Champion
At 0% its pretty easy to get out of a grab but at a percent that low you should just immediately throw them. Best way to improve imo is to go the the section(s) for the characters you wanna use and see if one of the more skilled people there will do some matches with you and give you more specific feedback on things, and then perhaps work on some of those things in Training mode. You may even learn something from seeing them fight. Asking questions in that character's Q&A thread may help too (like the "should I use Wario's Dair" question).

Training mode isn't really for combat experience but to practice certain moves and techniques and stuff. You want the CPU to be idle so it doesn't punch you in the face while you're practicing short hop fast falling or whatever is you're trying to learn.

Last edited:

salaboB

Smash Champion
It sounds like you're not adjusting to the input lag that online play has.

My theory is that your shields are failing because you're using normal offline timing: With input lag, that means you'll be shielding an instant after the attack hits you. This also affects the success of air dodges.

Similarly for all the moves you're getting punished with, you can't really react in For Glory. You need to look at what options their character has, assume they'll do one that can hit you from where you are (If they have one), and approach in a way that avoids that before they start it -- if you try to respond after they start it, see: Input lag.

Because it's so proactive, paying attention to their patterns to see what attack they're likely to use -- and thus which the safest way for you to approach and try to hit them -- is much stronger here than it normally is. And changing up what you do in response to a given situation will help make it harder for them to do that back to you, so you have to make sure you don't always use the same move when they're at a certain distance.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
CPU's are not that way of testing your skill, unless those are Lvl 9 (they have scary timing). About Shielding, it probably means you're relying on a obvious strategy/ being predictable. By "obvious strategy", I meant something most players do, e.g. Dash Attack with Little Mac.
Speaking of Little Mac, his Smash Attacks have something more; Super Armor. Despite receiving the damage percentage, he still attacks nonetheless. What I would recommend is trying to trump him via the lag of his moves, or even when he is charging them. Abuse your grab; since Mac goes flying, combo'ing him is basically guaranteed. Watch out for his Slip Counter too!
Peach's Turnips have high RNG; you never know what you are going to get. A happy Turnip, a Stitch-Face, a Bob-Omb... Luck kind of counts in this case. It's not going to happen every time; but, be prepared for the random factor.
I also recommend enhancing your timing against Input Lag. It's not so easy, but try "studying" the moment that character will attack so you can defend successfully! Since Shields are pretty good this time, you can defend yourself easily as long as you don't keep it too active. I would recommend Spot Dodging more if your Shield gets medium-sized. Despite being much better than SSB64/Melee (Brawl's Shield was actually OP), Shields are very breakable.
Hope it helps you :bee:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
For luigi (which the pictures say on the bottom of your username) use mainly air attacks (Down if the opponent is off the stage, forward air for comboing, anything otherwise,) and use down-B. If you grab him, use a down throw followed by forward airs or down specials at low percents, back throw at high percents)

For Wario, whom you've mentioned many times, I have no idea. I don't use him.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Should I ever be using my down air as Wario? That seems to get me punished a lot when i try it. The grab thing works, but what do I do when i grab exactly? The opponent gets out if it basically instantly.

Another scenario: Fighting a luigi, he keeps getting the misfire with his green missile. When he's right in front of me, how do I dodge that within the 1/2 second between him using it and hitting me with it?

Whenever he uses it, and falls to the ground, I try to punch him while he's still in the animation. When he hits the ground, i punch him, but it does nothing, and THEN he shields? Wtf is going on?
Wario is not a pick up and play character i suggest you use someone easier to play but above all play who you love Wario is good but difficult head to the wario boards if you wanna still use him.
Use his forward and neautral air the most his up smash and forward tilt are good kill moves aswell as his Up Air and Forward throw.
His best move is chomp and down tilt.
Use down tilt for a opening then run and grab em.

If they shield alot chomp em.

Last edited:

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
I suggest going on youtube to check out some guides.

Last edited:

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
I used to be the worst smasher on the planet. Train level 9 Cpu's and choose a character you want to learn who you are good at. But CPUs are not people so don't think cause you fight them 24/7 means you can do the same with humans.

Practice makes perfect.

Winnnn _AKA_Walt Piffney

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Winnnnnnnn
For glory is terrible and more so a proxy indicator of skill then actual skill level but pretty close to your overall skill most likely. The lag is what makes it unreliable if I kill somebody that picks little mac when I beat them by gimping then at %23 and ending the match in 0.53 seconds then that person is bad but this same person can turn around and beat me twice because my movement is handicapped by lag. I do decently on for glory and most of the time I'm fighting people beneath my skill level who after playing 3 -4 matches with start getting read like a book so don't feel bad. Or just main rosa and luma problem solved. I almost wanna start going to tourneys just to rekt all the for glory **** that think their hot **** in a lag less match but I'd also want to compete with the actual pro players and I'm not quite there yea... do not take for glory personally. It's hard when someone beats you with all rolls and smashes because your so frustrated you stop using strategy.

Also learn to react in real time smash is all about reaction / countering the opponent. If you grab someone them up air them twice most likely there scared and think this guy is pro he knows combos. Or some other nervous assumption 12 year olds make lol. Next time instead of going for the up airs immediately and missing wait hit them with one then jump away turn around a b reverse pararlyzer then grab again for example is something I do sometimes and it may net me 3 grabs in a row and 80%. Get inside your opponents head. Against players that are better than you or most likely from smash boards block / spot dodge absolutely everything you can and Jab lol.

Last edited:

Zenya

Smash Rookie
NNID
zenyamk8
Whatch videos on better players that use your character. Study them and study opponents habits during the match. Thats what helped me get somewhat decent

Top Bottom