• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why can't I finish the job with Squirtle?

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
I do a good job at building up damage with aerials and grabs, but I can't seem to knock out my opponent without major edgehogging and stuff. His smashes seem a bit laggy to pull off on anybody. Any ideas?

Jebin_Zedalu

Smash Cadet
Squirtle does a way better job with KOs in the air, in my opinion. Forward air and back air are both pretty powerful knockback-wise after you've gotten them to high percents, the up-air is somewhat good for killing them from the top, and down air sends them a nice distance if you get them with the last hit. You ARE going to have to do some edge-guarding with Squirtle to kill them, but that's how it is with a lot of characters.

Renufus

Smash Apprentice
I rarely, if ever, get a straight K.O. with squirtle. Most of my squirtle kills come from jumping out and gimping recovery with a fair. Against heavy characters with good recovery (dedede, snake, charizard, rob) your best bet is to get them far enough away that you can safely switch to Ivysaur and use one of his multitude of finishing moves since these characters are all inherently slow and leave themselves open to Ivy's powerful smash attacks.

Remember that no one Pokemon can do everything. The ability to switch Pokemon depending on the situation is what gives PT his strength. It might take a while to get used to, but once you get a feel for how to play each Pokemon, when to switch, and which matchups give you the advantage, you have a very powerful character on your hands.

HammerWang

Smash Apprentice
topic is to finish the job with squirtle... not to switch

my point: SAVE YOUR DOWN THROW! depending on the character, u can %build up the *** then dthrow at like 120-150+%
his side smash is ok if u can get the guy in range
and up smash is best hyphened or hydroplaned

other than that, just wall ur opponents n get some sweetspot hits
i believe squirtle's fair n bair a kinda like sex kicks
gotta hit them right when it sticks out. my advice

Renufus

Smash Apprentice
topic is to finish the job with squirtle... not to switch

my point: SAVE YOUR DOWN THROW! depending on the character, u can %build up the *** then dthrow at like 120-150+%
his side smash is ok if u can get the guy in range
and up smash is best hyphened or hydroplaned

other than that, just wall ur opponents n get some sweetspot hits
i believe squirtle's fair n bair a kinda like sex kicks
gotta hit them right when it sticks out. my advice
You might as well be asking how to play hit and run with charizard or how to gimp with ivysaur. Yes, it can be done, but not without a much greater degree of difficulty than could be accomplished by using your vB. They give you the option of using three pokemon for a reason, no sense in trying to make the circle peg fit the square hole.

Yes, you can finish with his upsmash but it's situational, short-ranged and leaves you open for attack if it misses. It's basically squirtle's only means of direct off-screen K.O. meaning that it eventually becomes very predictable and smart opponents will learn ways around it quickly. Not to mention by the time you're able to rack up enough damage to get it to K.O. a heavy-hitter, you're likely suffering stamina fatigue on top of all this. Squirtle's fair and bair kills the heavy characters at upwards of 150-160%, while by switching to ivysaur you can finish at 90% or less.

Why would you want to create more work for yourself this way? It doesn't make any sense from a tactical point of view.

infernovia

Smash Ace
Still, its understandable to figure out what to do just in case that scenario comes about. Or when Ivysaur has a hard matchup against that specific opponent.

Usmash may be a bit predictable, but its your best bet (hydroplaning/shellshifting really helps to make it unpredictable). If they are at high enough percentage, Fair/Bair will finish them off.

But, as already pointed by Renufus, Ivysaur has a lot of KO potential.

HammerWang

Smash Apprentice
Why would you want to create more work for yourself this way? It doesn't make any sense from a tactical point of view.
lol he was asking why he couldnt kill
i say how to kill

sure its more logical how u answered it, but i just went with the more immediate question :p
but there are situations that can arise like infernovia said, n plus take into account fatigue n the switch timings. yep.. dont flame MAH balls

Renufus

Smash Apprentice
lol he was asking why he couldnt kill
i say how to kill

sure its more logical how u answered it, but i just went with the more immediate question :p
but there are situations that can arise like infernovia said, n plus take into account fatigue n the switch timings. yep.. dont flame MAH balls
Haha, let me put it another way then.

The easiest way to K.O. with squirtle, besides recovery gimping, is to use his down B and combo into fsmash or usmash.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
down throw is really useful
percent building is easy, and squirtles grab is good. just keep it fresh and you will be okay

squiser

Smash Apprentice
I've recently been mixing hyphen upsmashing with hydroplaning and getting a lot of kills in the low 100%'s that way. Just save it until you're around 100% for light characters, higher for the heavier ones. For characters like Metaknight, ROB, Pit, etc. who can basically recover from anywhere on the map, usmash off the top is your best bet. But really, Squirtle isn't your best matchup against Metaknight/Pit anyways.

If you're finding it hard to edgehog, try to predict where your opponent is coming from. Most opponents will try to come from below, so you can hang on the edge, drop down, bair/fair, double jump and up+b back onto the edge. If they're more from the side, drop, double jump out, bair/fair, then up+b back. Just takes some practice and you'll get it down. Works wonders against characters like Ike and Link.

Tipzntrix

Smash Apprentice
Squirtle's top KO moves:

The Down throw is awesome. it's this or Usmash. I go with this because it is easier to get.

Usmash. This is pretty powerful and has a nice surrounding area. It's just a lot more slow.

Fair. This is fast, but does not have the power of the other two.

Gonzoyo

Smash Cadet
I've recently been mixing hyphen upsmashing with hydroplaning and getting a lot of kills in the low 100%'s that way. Just save it until you're around 100% for light characters, higher for the heavier ones. For characters like Metaknight, ROB, Pit, etc. who can basically recover from anywhere on the map, usmash off the top is your best bet. But really, Squirtle isn't your best matchup against Metaknight/Pit anyways.
Yeah, it's great stuff. Hydroplaning ftw

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i always go to ivysaur to kill once the opponent is in the hundreds. usually squirtle is up there too and dies since he's so light.

but it is much much better to just go to ivysaur, kill with a quick (FRESH) fsmash or something, and then SWITCH again to charizard when the opponent is respawning, since likely you'll have quite a bit of damage as well, and charizard is your stock tank and can rack up some damage before you die, at which point you can go back to squirtle...which brings us to the point of the topic!

save your dthrow. it has helped me countless times. i always go for the grab and dthrow once my opponent is in 130+ range. BUT it can get REALLY repetitive. especially if you are dumb like me and keep trying to grab and nothing else haha. just be smart with it and you can get the kill.

usmash is good for vertical kills and the like, as has been stated.

fsmash is really underrated. if you save it, it'll kill before dthrow does (i think...)

fairs and bairs and such are alright, but only for edgeguarding and gimping. you won't be killing with those before any of the above three. why? well aren't you using them to rack up damage in the first place?

Captain Stupid

Smash Apprentice
you start with ivy build damage, switch to charizard, kill, and then switch to squirtle to build up damage- best way to use PT-

and as kill move for squirtle: down throw and usmash :D

Sasuke_1259

Smash Rookie
Best way has been already stated, but maybe needs reinforcement:
- Down throw is a good idea for the good recovery people. (pit, meta)
- Or, learn to hydroplan and upsmash. But, I recommend hydroplaning and use tilts first. Then, when the player doesn't expect it, upsmash. A bit of mindgames always helps...
- Otherwise, edgeguard with f-air and b-air.
- This doesn't apply to your thread, but switching is always a good option too.

I also try using watergun.....in hope that one day, by shear luck itself, I will find a use for it lol.

dobee

Smash Apprentice
I dunno... I seem to kill quite a few people with d throw and fairs and bairs... sometimes i even throw in a dair because it has the mario tornado effect with the last hit... but it is kinda difficult to hit with. Other than that? I guess Ivysaur's always a choice...

Top Bottom