• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Why aren't all 3DS Stages on the Wii U version of SSB4?

Astra_

Smash Cadet
Now I know that a lot of stages on the 3DS are very different compared to ones on the Wii U, but the Wii U has stages that don't even fit it's own platform such as that Kirby map(I think it's called Crystal Caves?). I mean they could have at least made all stages on the 3DS also on the Wii U.

Thoughts, explanations?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Answer is simple, really; They're still two different games and there needs to be incentive to have both. They have intentional differences that are going to stay different.

That's why they were separated too, to be their own unique game, but also both be a variation of Smash 4, hence every character being the exact same. Just about everything else has differences beyond that.

Halvorsen

Curious kid
Now I know that a lot of stages on the 3DS are very different compared to ones on the Wii U, but the Wii U has stages that don't even fit it's own platform such as that Kirby map(I think it's called Crystal Caves?). I mean they could have at least made all stages on the 3DS also on the Wii U.

Thoughts, explanations?
Why aren't all Wii U stages on 3DS?

Astra_

Smash Cadet
Some of them are too big and tbh just wouldn't look good on 3DS

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Some of them are too big and tbh just wouldn't look good on 3DS
That kind of answers part of your original question. My full answer:
1. If that were the case, then Smash 3DS would be strictly inferior. While many already believe Smash Wii U is the better game (and many who bought the 3DS version did so only because of its earlier release date), Sakurai intended for them to be equally enjoyable as standalone games.
2. (The point you touched on) The 3DS stages are in lower resolution/quality. It takes time and resources to make the stages that look just fine on 3DS even remotely acceptable on Wii U.
3. Tying into #1, basically the only reason to buy the 3DS other than its earlier launch date (portability and Smash Run might also be factors, but they're smaller ones) is the stages. You'd basically be making the 3DS a not-even-free demo for the Wii U version.

Alexis357

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alexis357
3DS FC
4210-4531-2184
This is also a marketing choice.

"Look you have the 3DS version with all its content, but why not buying another version with different stages and different content ? :)"

But yes, it's quite expansive for a "DLC" ... :/
If I'm not wrong, Sakurai stated that Smash 3DS and Wii U were basically different games, but with balance and consoles constraints. Imagine how much money you will spend if you have these 2 games, but also buy the Switch version ...

Dripple

Smash Cadet
NNID
qugasl09
3DS FC
1693-5939-6738
User was warned for this post
<content redacted>
While I agree with..most of you I'm surprised you haven't noticed that a lot of the 3ds stages are handheld games and the WiiU stages are console games.

Example: Pokemon Stadium a game on the N64. A stage on WiiU only. Unova Pokemon League based on the Pokemon League from Pokemon Black and White. A stage on 3ds only.

Last edited by a moderator:

Astra_

Smash Cadet
<content redacted>
While I agree with..most of you I'm surprised you haven't noticed that a lot of the 3ds stages are handheld games and the WiiU stages are console games.

Example: Pokemon Stadium a game on the N64. A stage on WiiU only. Unova Pokemon League based on the Pokemon League from Pokemon Black and White. A stage on 3ds only.
Pokemon X and Y Elite Four
Wii U stage
Not 3DS stage

Top Bottom