• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why are two of Sonic's special moves the same?!

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Good question!

No I'm just kidding, they are different in a few note worthy aspects, although not nearly as different as most every other character's b moves.

Ok some of the differences:
1) The charging method is obviously different, both in input and what you see on the screen. For down b, you hit b repeatedly and Sonic stays in place. For side b, you hold b but Sonic pulls back a bit.
2) There is initially a hop for the side-b move after you release it whereas down-b shoots straight along the ground.
3) Side-b has invincibility frames for a short time after it is released.
4) Side-b seems to be better for comboing.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Not really.

EDIT: And if there were, do you REALLY think I would have hidden them from you only to crack under your sophisticated questioning?

Nao Hikari

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NaoHikari
Switch FC
SW 1055 2032 9641
i can see in a lot of video's that side b is the more commonly used move for combo-ing but it just seems really slow for me, so i use down b ._.

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
One other slight advantage that the down B has is slightly greater speed at closing short distance. Since the speed of the side-b "hop" stays the same regardless of charge, you can close a medium-to-short distance faster with the down-b. That makes it pretty good for fakeouts and punishing misses.

Still though, the extra comboability, faster charge, and invincibility frames make side-b usually the better choice.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
personally i like down B more.

but i think both are great in their own situations.

i definatly use down b more often for frontal attacks, mainly because:
-its way faster as it jets off initially, while over b jets after it lands
-its starts on the ground
-the great speed at start makes it hard to counter, because the counter is all about timing, and really only a handfull of moves can stop it anyway.

either spin dash can do a total of 3 hits from the ground (one is form the spin while its on the ground, then you jump and hit while spinning in the air, and then you cancel the spin into any ariel attack: forward A seems to be the best, but it just depends really), but if u hit with the over b while its in the air, you can only land 2 attacks in quick succession.

side b is definatly better for returning to the stage though... it still hops even in the air..
i eman really... you should use both anyway, i think the moves are different enough atleast in timing to catch people off gaurd with them.

Top Bottom