• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why are the Ice Climbers the most hated characters in SSB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
I don't get it. When the update first came on the site I was excited. Sure I didn't main them but I loved play as them in Melee. Well the I went to school I told my friends about it and I couldn't believe what I was hearing, they hated Ice Climbers.

I ask why and the only response I could ever get was 'Because they are stupid'. Then after school I read up at gamefaqs and i see topic after topic seeing at least 100+ topics about how they were dissapointed that Ice Climbers returned.

Really what gives? The only reason I think they would hate the character is because the character is really difficult to master.

Your thoughts on this?

Edit: Fixed a typo

ledhead

Smash Apprentice
Because there's 2 of them. And with desyncing, it makes them cheap. I've grabbed one, then been fsmashed by the AI. If they were separate characters, no big deal. But having 2 characters controlled by one person (and AI) really makes them a broken character that isn't fun to fight.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
God, I know. All of the hatred towards the Ice Climbers is ridiculous.

Probably the main reasons they're hated are:

1. They're "cheap". (or that's what a lot of people say anyways.)
2. The whole "duo" thing is something really different, and it may be too hard for some of them to adjust to, so they just hate on them for that.
3. There's more shallow reasons: "They're stupid looking.", "Their voice is annoying."

Who cares, though? They're in! There's not anybody that can stop that.

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
They're just weird. I mean, two characters for the price of one is kind of strange. Their stage sucks. They're from a series not known well to a lot of people.

Having said all that, I'm really looking forward to them in Brawl. Not sure why. Guess it's to see how they've changed.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I really don't know why so many people hate them. I mean, yeah, they have a stupid annoying stage in Melee, but everything else is okay. I think the Ice Climbers are really fun to play as and I'm looking forward playing as them in Brawl! Oh, and the new stage they have is really beautiful =)

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Because there's 2 of them. And with desyncing, it makes them cheap. I've grabbed one, then been fsmashed by the AI. If they were separate characters, no big deal. But having 2 characters controlled by one person (and AI) really makes them a broken character that isn't fun to fight.
It's not the AI, it's the human player controlling nana (or popo depending on costume). It can be seen as a big advantage but the ice climbers lack speed, weight and only have small range with their neautral-B. Psy.

Hellbeing

Smash Journeyman
lol they arent cheap at all, they have no really strong attacks and were made to be evend out with other characters

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Because they take WORK to master, unlike Sheik or Marth which any even a drunken monkey can master in 5 seconds.

Elec Man EXE

Smash Apprentice
I don't think people hate the characters as players in Smash. Not entirely, at least. I think they hate them because they got in at all.

I mean, they aren't popular characters. At all. Heck, I didn't even know who they were until Melee. The single game they were in didn't have stellar popularity, it didn't have people clamering for a sequel (Like Kid Icarus, for instance)... it was just another NES game. That, like many NES games, only has a small following. Video games weren't as mainstream back then, and the game didn't generate tons of buzz like other Retro games either. A "background" game, if you will.

They were basically brought in because of the pair gimmick. And I think people resent that. A character who's fairly unknown and not at all popular, getting in over the other retro's that are more "deserving". Especially since the 2 character thing could have been done by Diddy and Dixie, who are probably more popular and well-known.

Thats not the way I feel. I like them. The pair mechanic is cool, plus they're all-around unique even beside that. Hammers for weapons, ice powers... both things that no one else in Melee had. I don't mind they got in over other characters.

Meta_Knight_14

Smash Cadet
I personally don't like the Ice Climbers because if the person controlling Ice Climbers get lucky and their opponent accidentally kills the ai controlled one, then they're still in the game. It's almost as if you have to do twice as much work to kill them.

I'm not saying I don't have any problem beating someone who mains IC, it's just annoying as all hell

PaperDream

Smash Apprentice
I think it's jealousy. Smashers are too busy smashing to have a special someone who will smash alongside them no matter what, hammering anyone that grabs you, following your lead in combat, and sacrificing themselves to propel you that much higher so you don't loose a life.

I admit I'm jealous too; I wish I could have a Popo or Nana with me, but I don't hate the Ice Climbers for it.

Or wait, were they siblings? Whatever.

SiD

Smash Master
Some people hate them because they think Wobbling is cheap. Others think that they are easy to win with only using, and I quote, "simple button combinations". Others just don't think they matter in general, not talking in Smash but as characters.

But really, I think they just haven't given them a try in Melee yet. After picking up the IC's for 2-3 days, I have alot of fun using them. Desynching is fun. If people would just give them a little bit of their time, 90% of the complainers would go away. Most of the rest of them would go away if they'd learn not to let themselves get grabbed when facing them.

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
That's pretty lame. It doesn't matter if there's two of them. So what if you get f smashed when you grab one? that means your grab game is less useful. Becauese there's two of them, they're grab game rocks. I don't hear anyone saying Samus is cheap because her projectiles game rocks.

And it doesn't take twice as much work to ko them. KO the right one, people. And you can't say "fighting them is annoying." It's only annoying if you're not up to the challenge. Not to mention pretty every character upwards of the ice climbers is annoying to fight, by that logic. Chainthrowing, infinites, etc.

Simple fact is, they're just like any other character. Don't get grabbed by the ICs is the same as "don't get grabbed by sheik," "don't get shined by fox," "don't be off the side of the stage at a certain damage and get faired by marth," and "don't get shined by falco."

Thing is, all characters have something you need to be watching out for, just with the ICs, it's a little different than most characters. Go cry about it.

STEREO_226

Smash Apprentice
its just because their different. 2 characters one of which is an AI... Pkmn Trainer might end up the same way

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Why hate Ice Climbers when you can just beat them? Seriously. Ice Climbers are fun to play and there are just things you have to watch out for. They're not as dangerous as Marth or Fox.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
alright since this thread is based on...
well...

nothing

i'm gonna close it

that and theres really nothing to discuss after the first post

*wobble*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom