• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why are so many idea against the idea of Power Rankings?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
It creates competition for everyone who wants to get higher, rewards those who do well for being recognized for their achievements, and it also gives a solid way to seed tournaments to make sure brackets are fair. Not only does it do all that for in-state people, but out of state players can get a good idea of a scene through power ranking topics.

The only reason I can think of for being against them is that you're mad that you're not on it :laugh:. But seriously, why are so many people against them?

DJRome

Smash Hero
i doubt too many people are against them. it's just that there is no fair way to do them so whatever group is at a disadvantage because of them (well, everyone who thinks they are) complain. also those who like to ***** complain as well

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
The actions of the few represent the many, I guess.

I'm the only one making a real fuss. One should not let a program do its work and never be questioned.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
It promotes competition, which benefits everyone, especially us NC bros. I 100% support publicly posted rankings.

-Ran

Smash Master
Really, a ladder system is more effective than a stagnant Power Ranking System. It promotes competition outside of tournaments, and makes people seek out new characters and methods to beat the people that are one spot above them, and the same is true about preventing the person from beneath them from beating them.

Power Rankings are over-rated.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Really, a ladder system is more effective than a stagnant Power Ranking System. It promotes competition outside of tournaments, and makes people seek out new characters and methods to beat the people that are one spot above them, and the same is true about preventing the person from beneath them from beating them.
How exactly do publicly posted PR's not do this also? Promoting competition is promoting competition imo. In NC we update ours fairly frequently (as soon as we have enough data to work with).

Power Rankings are over-rated.
If you say so...

-Ran

Smash Master
I say this, because Power Rankings are slow to change typically. A lot of states will do a power ranking once every four months, if that. They aren't really 'alive' and don't really push people in direct competition. A Ladder paints a target on your back and dares the person below you to beat you, and demands you become better than the person above you.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
but a ladder is a continuous tournament basically, it's not a way to rank players on how well they do in comparison to others in the state at tournaments.

I think that people should be ranked by how they perform in tournament, nothing more nothing less.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
money matches should count.
or if its really really really close between 2 people you could just make them play each other and see who wins...i guess that'd be like a "power ranking match" or something

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Yea but Florida's Power Ranking Match is a minimum of $10 xD

And for our state we just have biased people who underrate the stuffing out of our new and upcoming players.

I'm all for PR's even if I'm never on them :p

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
I agree with MM's/power ranking matches to a certain extent, but they are much more specific to a particular match-up, and there needs to be a line drawn somewhere: Are we ranking people as to who is best in the state, or who does the best at tournaments in the state? This is why some rankings are so open to skepticism. Discretion is used by those deciding the rankings and the two methods of ranking I just mentioned are blended in some cases; but not all. Therefore different logic is being used for different ranked players, which equates to no guaranteed fairness. For example: counting a close set for rankings which in turn uplifts a loss and downplays a win. When has the closeness of a set or match ever mattered in a tournament?(it hasn't)......then why should it matter for rankings?

i've always supported fairness > aiming to please, aka sacrificing one's satisfaction for guaranteed fairness is worth it.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
A ladder would only work if all the player always went to all the tourneys.

$10 for PR MM's mean something, but then again, and MM is a MM... iunno how I feel about that one.

-Ran

Smash Master
I'm going to be doing a Ladder in Louisiana at the start of the new year, I'll let you guys know how it goes. My goal is for it to be used as a supplement to the PR which ultimately is just a guide for seeding tournaments. When a PR comes out, it tends to be accurate, but as the weeks go bye, the ladder should with enough participation be a better source of who should be what seed.

Top Bottom