• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why are people picking their mains already?

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
I forgot if I already replied to this thread. It seems not... So, yet another duplicate thread.

People are picking their mains already because they're excited. If they want to change, they can. No one's forcing them to stay with their decisions.

AmericanBison

Smash Cadet
i only want to main the top two tiers because this game is serious business. playing bad characters isn't fun. only winning is fun.

this thread is about as useful as tier list threads.

Qaszimon

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if it's been said already, but I think some people are choosing mains already just to give them something, anything Brawl related to do before the game comes out. We've been waiting a long time for this, so spending the previous weeks/months before the game comes out on something like choosing a main and watching videos/learning movesets is at least semi-productive.

I refuse to choose a main until I unlock everyone and try them all out.

QueTee

Smash Apprentice
Well, I guess I'm maining Lucas because from what I've seen he's a solid character and his moveset suits me best.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Well, why can't everyone say who they want to main? It's natural that you want to main your favourites.

After some years of play and when players are getting really good and such... well, you can still change your main, no? Why does it make someone look like an idiot? Everyone can main who they want to main. And if they later decide to main someone else then they can.

Right now players are playing with any character they like, later it maybe won't be like that because some characters are just better than others.

I'm not saying the game isn't balanced, but if characters are different, well... it's (nearly?) impossible to make it perfectly balanced.

UrajKingofDarkness

Smash Journeyman
I've played the game, and so far I've had fun playing every single character I've played; that includes characters I thought I'd hate. Nobody should have a huge problem picking their 'mains' early (though the term 'main' indicates a character they use the most, in which case very few people have one since hardly anyone's played the game).

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Who cares if someoone names their main? It is not a contract, if they chose the wrong person...they can change to whoever they would like.

End Game

Smash Journeyman
I said i'd main wolf back when the 35 characters rumor began and I'm definitely going to try to stick to it. I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to use random at the beginning until i run by every single character, THEN i will know for sure.

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
There's just so many awesome characters to choose from ~_~. Just because we favorite something doesn't mean we aren't going to play as other characters. I've got to play a little bit of brawl at a convention and I mostly played as Kirby (King Dedede and Lucario once). I'm pretty sure we're all hyped for the release so that's probably why we like maining people ~_~.

I know this can be said about just about almost every character in the game (with some exceptions, but I can't comment on those), but he's gotten massive improvements from Melee with pretty good KO potential and lag time improvements. A lot of the neutral B attacks in this game are a lot better now (Ike's B move is pretty freakin powerful) so there's a lot of open possibilites ><.

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
I'm maining Ness because he is my namesake. He has been my main for the past two games(that's what? like a decade now?) and im still not bored of him. I have so much fun maining him and i love his style of play because it fits mine perfectly. But i can understand where the OP is coming from with regards to choosing newcomers as mains.

6footninja

Smash Ace
I think its just a matter of who they like better mentally. A lot of people want snake cus he uses guns and hes plain cool. Me, im leaving myself open until I get my hands on the game

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
I'm gonna main the IC's because I played as them alot in Melee.

However, I have no idea which new characters I'm gonna enjoy playing as, so atm my other mains are up in the air.

entrapment

Smash Apprentice
"force yourself to main"

I'll force myself to enjoy the **** game and force myself to main Kirby...
now what... I'm having fun from forcing...
I forced my nonsense on you...

lol....good time sorry for the troll but an eye for an eye

Elidibus

Smash Cadet
When i say i'm gonna "Main" a character, it means i'm giving them priority over the other characters and i'm going to try real hard to be competitive with them, regardless of whether it fits my style. When i say i'm gonna main Sonic, as soon as i unlock him, i'm going to practice with him. If he works out, awesome. If not, i'll pick another "Main" I did the same thing with Melee and ended up with Peach as my main (tried samus, Falco and a few others before i found Peach)

So, the characters i main will be given "dibs" on my playing time over the others.

Top Bottom