• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why are high ceilings good?

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
I always hear people saying to choose Kongo Jungle 64 as Jigglypuff because it has a high ceiling, but why does that help? Wouldn't a lower ceiling help Rest kill earlier?

Psyruby

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Psyruby
3DS FC
3007-8155-8661
High Ceilings allow low weight characters to live much longer as you can DI kill throws and moves in general much easier. Another thing is that a bunch of low weight characters normally kill by gimping which is not easier to survive with higher ceilings or farther away blast zones.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Lightweight and floaty? Characters like Jiggs and Peach benefit from high ceiling stages simply because alot of their early deaths come from getting killed off the top at ridiculous percents, and since their recoveries are good anyway, this benefits them more than it hinders them.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Rest isn't everything OP. Sometimes, you gotta WoP the opponent instead.

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
Rest isn't everything OP. Sometimes, you gotta WoP the opponent instead.
I know, I know, but it's still a major asset for any Jiggs. But I do get what you're saying.
Lightweight and floaty? Characters like Jiggs and Peach benefit from high ceiling stages simply because alot of their early deaths come from getting killed off the top at ridiculous percents, and since their recoveries are good anyway, this benefits them more than it hinders them.
Hm, that makes sense. I guess that answers my question, so thanks.

TSKHAN

Smash Cadet
I always hear people saying to choose Kongo Jungle 64 as Jigglypuff because it has a high ceiling, but why does that help? Wouldn't a lower ceiling help Rest kill earlier?
Tbh I like lower ceilings, high ceiling is a preference from melee where jigs rest would basically always kill and the knock back from a lot of up airs was ridiculous. In smash 4 lower ceilings and mid--high level platforms are better IMO, but if you aren't gonna be playing a heavy rest game, higher ceilings are def better.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
In smash 4, people don't kill off the top as much anymore. I actually think wider screens are better for Jiggs in this game, but high ceilings were for living in Melee and 64, when rest usually killed by the sides.

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
Wut. Basically every character can kill with at least upsmash and many have other upwards kill moves, and they're generally good options due to speed and coverage. Killing off the top is huge.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
Well yeah, but most good match ups against Jigglypuff kills off the side more, at least for me. I could just be moving in a certain way that makes it hard for my opponent to U-smash. High ceilings are still useful.

TSKHAN

Smash Cadet
Wut. Basically every character can kill with at least upsmash and many have other upwards kill moves, and they're generally good options due to speed and coverage. Killing off the top is huge.
It's nothing like melee's fox though. The problem is that in melee and 64, jigglypuff had kill options in big stages. Jigglypuff no longer has kill options on big stages. She no longer has Wall of Pain, Her rest is affected by stage height (unlike in melee where it just killed at 25%), and gimping is freaking impossible in this game.

Jigglypuff needs small stages to be able to kill easily, otherwise you're just running around hoping b-air will kill while taking damage because your opponent isn't gonna just let you b-air him 6 times for free.

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
It's nothing like melee's fox though. The problem is that in melee and 64, jigglypuff had kill options in big stages. Jigglypuff no longer has kill options on big stages. She no longer has Wall of Pain, Her rest is affected by stage height (unlike in melee where it just killed at 25%), and gimping is freaking impossible in this game.

Jigglypuff needs small stages to be able to kill easily, otherwise you're just running around hoping b-air will kill while taking damage because your opponent isn't gonna just let you b-air him 6 times for free.
I never said large stages are good and small stages are bad. I didn't even say having high ceilings is a better pick than wide sides (although it is, imo). I said that killing off the top is not something that was only limited to Melee, and choosing low ceilings just because ermahgerd Rest and ignoring every other character's options is foolish, especially when we are both the lightest character and more importantly the slowest faller.

Top Bottom