• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why are falcos so good at fox

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
i used to play fox for a main until i switched to falco, and now i can't seem to get the hang of fox at all. But other good falco players i play against are preety much equally good at there fox. so i couldn't help but ask why are other people falcos as good as there fox.

i hope yall happy now. yall can stop yall *****in now, i refraised the words.
this is the first and only time i'll actually type proper

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
It would probably be nice if you spelled words out, used correct punctuation, and didn't shorten words. It's common courtesy, and you're using a keyboard so it's not much more difficult to type properly. (Their, not there).

The answer to the question is that they likely put as much effort into their Fox as they did in their Falco. Your problem may be you are trying to hard to play Fox like you would normally Falco. Falco is solid moves that string into one another. Fox is a flowing character more strongly based around mind game and edge-play via Shine Spiking.

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
yeah i do tlk dat way. n just 2 tell u i write alot betta den i type or speak, but i still get n trouble n english 4 tlkin like dis

Dice

Smash Lord
so you manage you somehow pronounce "talking" as "tlkin"? I would be very interested to see how that works out...

Link-NY

Smash Ace
i used to play fox 4 a main until i switched 2 falco, n now i can't seem to get tha hang of fox at all. But other good falco players i play against r preety much equally good at there fox. so i couldn't help but ask y r other people falcos as good as there fox
Because falco takes more tech skill and so.. they would have to use less tech skill when they convert to fox.
It would probably be nice if you spelled words out, used correct punctuation, and didn't shorten words. It's common courtesy, and you're using a keyboard so it's not much more difficult to type properly. (Their, not there).
common courtesy over the net? -_- noone has to use correct puncuation or grammar or good english. as long a syou undertsand what they say. as for the rest of you lmao. at replying to his post because of his english.

Spartamus

Smash Apprentice
People that start out as falco tend to have a little trouble with fox at the beging of playing fox. I personly did when i started could not do the simple things like short hope or fast fall, because fox is so much faster. Maybe if you play fox then go to falco it evens out more. im just guessing i never played fox as a main for very long.

Link-NY

Smash Ace
awwww how nice =( i got a neg rep =( and the person didnt even leave his name =(. Silly ppl. cant wait until the rep system is removed =)

Smash Master
Are you sure Falco requires more technical skill than Fox. I made the transition from Fox to Falco pretty easily but I don't think I could have made it vice-versa. Fox has four frames to Short hop, Falco has six. The faster jumping speed also reqiures a faster wavedash/waveshine. SHL is not as hard as some make it out to be, and it's even harder with Fox.

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
Are you sure Falco requires more technical skill than Fox. I made the transition from Fox to Falco pretty easily but I don't think I could have made it vice-versa. Fox has four frames to Short hop, Falco has six. The faster jumping speed also reqiures a faster wavedash/waveshine. SHL is not as hard as some make it out to be, and it's even harder with Fox.
pretty much some of the problems i'm havin right now, but i don't think my fox is gonna ever get as good as my falco

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
To reiterate, it's likely that you've trained your hands for Falco, and those movements just don't carry over as well for Fox. That and if you went to wavedash with Fox, you'd likely be too slow now. Also, you're probabaly used to the best appraoch in the game, a la Falco's SHL, where as with Fox, you now need to mind game your way to the opponenet to begin your less impressive combos.

PetaNybble

Smash Cadet
Ha, for me, it's much easier to wavedash with fox than falco. But ya, I switched from fox to falco really easily, now i'm losing my touch with fox..

Apøc`

Smash Apprentice
I think my Falco is better then my Fox, because I play more often with Falco, that is normal, just switch between those two characters, because anyways, they don't have the same gamestyle, not at all... :/

Eci4

Smash Ace
I switched from falco to fox, and now I can't go back to falco... SHFFLs became so much harder for me with falco when i got them with fox...

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
well i'm startin 2 think tha reason y i suk so bad at fox is because my mindgames suk. 2 me fox is more of a strategy character than falco

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
It's pretty tough to keep your Fox up to speed. His SHFFL, SHL, RSHL, Waveshine, Shieldshine, Wavedash, etc, etc , etc...it's all more difficult.

I play Fox, but not Falco. I gotta say though, I feel like I can do every character's advanced techs because I've mastered the fastest one!

xelad1

Smash Ace
My fox wasn't up to par at all compared to my falco but its the same with any character you switch to. Just because your falco is good doesn't mean your fox will be, their movesets are similar but playstyles are completely different along with animations. Eventually I just played fox enough against friends and worked on his techskill so that its comfortable for me to switch. Actually switching from falco to fox is much easier than fox to falco for me since I find it much easier to speed up my movements (since there is no real awkward timing with fox) than to slow them down to falcos bizarre wavedash for instance. Either way its just practice... technically sheik is a much easier character to master than fox but my sheik is much worse than my fox just because of less practice.. same with my marth, captain falcon etc.... I just play falco and fox more so I play them better!

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
My fox wasn't up to par at all compared to my falco but its the same with any character you switch to. Just because your falco is good doesn't mean your fox will be, their movesets are similar but playstyles are completely different along with animations. Eventually I just played fox enough against friends and worked on his techskill so that its comfortable for me to switch. Actually switching from falco to fox is much easier than fox to falco for me since I find it much easier to speed up my movements (since there is no real awkward timing with fox) than to slow them down to falcos bizarre wavedash for instance. Either way its just practice... technically sheik is a much easier character to master than fox but my sheik is much worse than my fox just because of less practice.. same with my marth, captain falcon etc.... I just play falco and fox more so I play them better!
i guess i'm all mixed up then. i find shiek harder to play with than zelda. i guess i'm just not naturally good with fast characters

Ghostype

Smash Champion
Because falco takes more tech skill and so.. they would have to use less tech skill when they convert to fox.
Meh...I find Fox much more difficult to use than Falco. I've always thought his SH, SHL, WD, WS.... All of his techs, to be more difficult than Falco's. I'm working on it, but the bird has always been easier for me and I'm certain others; as well.

Smash Master
Yeah. I use Falco as a crutch when I'm having a slow fingers/poor mindgames day.

Link-NY

Smash Ace
Falco does take more tech skill the reason for this is because you have to move alot more then with fox. you have to consistently keep jumping around SHLing and so on. Remember fox starts out much more faster then falco. remove falcos tech skill and he is almost as slow as Link. Fox on the other hand you doesn't really need tech skill as long as he can avoid getting grappled, the same cannot be said for falco

Spartamus

Smash Apprentice
all you have to do to get good with fox if you have never really played him is start from the begining, learn to short hop l-canecle ect, but make sure ytou still play falco so you dont lose the skill you already have.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Holy crap, I've been sigged!

Also, I main Falco and my Fox is just horrible. Fox is one of my worst characters. The problem is that I try to play him like I play Falco, and that doesn't really work. Also, since I play against Falco way more that I play against Fox, I just know more about Falco.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
That's how my fox started too, same with fluxwolf. As falco players we have the instinct to just drill, shine, repeat over and over again, which can work with fox but it's not giving him his full potential. With fox it's all up-stuff: up air, up tilt, up throw, up smash... all of those are part of falco's game but aren't nearly as useful (k maybe uptilt is as useful for falco).

Binx

Smash Master
I started smash 64 with fox cause he was the fastest, this when I came over to melee I was still using fox, however I was noob, never used shine to spike, I used it to push away after a standing aaa combo, but other than that... Then I saw some advanced tactics video and switched to Marth, cause hey, I like swords. My two friends I played with stuck with fox, then one of them went to Falco. We all got good at wavedashing and whatnot together, and then I switched to falco for a long time, when I eventually decided that I wanted to be good with fox also I was much better just because my tech skill had improved so much, I had seen what I could do in videos and fox has an amazing grab game, which I was used to because of Marth. Plus because of all my lazering with falco I could then take advantage of the free damage with fox. I have recently decided that falco is hands down the best character in the game, because if you dont mess up he has the best approach defense and pretty much as good as fox at edge guarding, the only thing I dont like is his grab game, which IMO sucks ***.

Top Bottom