• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why am i so bad

Bluemeanie

Smash Rookie
I am so bad at smash. I can do like basic combos with falcon and I can throw bombs and rangs well with link. I cant do anything else. I always forget to z-cancel with falcon because i dont notice much lag. And I never tech, or even try to. I just forget. I also cant short jump. I really need to get those things down. If anyone has advice of how to efficiently train in those areas then please let me know. Thanks.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
For train all this, pick Samus.

Is so bad... but is really good for train those. His short jump and his floatibility makes her much easier to do that.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
for z cancel and short hop just go into training mode, vs any character it doesn't really matter. Do 100 short jumps in a row. If you mess up, start counting over again. This will make it so you can short hop on command at any time. For Z cancel, pick link and do a short hop (which you now have perfected) and then your dair, and z cancel it 200 times in a row. If you mess up start over again. Then play your main (falcon) and just practice doing his short hop air attacks, and Z cancel all of them. Do 100 of each (nair, fair, bair, dair, uair) until you can get it perfect every single time.

This method is pretty boring, but if you really want to improve at these skills, here's a routine.

For teching, just think of it like z cancel, and hit z when you're about to hit the ground.

And one last thing, stop saying you suck all the time. you aren't really that bad, I've seen way worse. If the whole time you're playing you're just thinking about how much you think you suck and how terrible you are, well then you aren't going to do good.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Also, if you get beaten a lot just think about why.

Why did my opponent use the moves he did?
Why did my opponent move the way he did?
Why did I do that particular attack?
What did my opponent do when I did that attack?
Do my attacks connect? Am I always missing?
Do my enemies evade my attacks easily and counter-attack?
etc.

Given the chance of you playing against good people you can still improve. Even though you may be thouroughly defeated you can still learn how and why they beat you. You learn far more from losing then you do from winning. It may be frustrating and despairing to lose but if you really focus on why you lost you'll improve drastically.

It's not so much about the tech skill (though it helps a LOT) it's more what you do. On a bad day (which is happening more and more since I play less and less) I miss my z-cancels a lot. Does it make me suck? Not really. I'm very good at reading my opponent and evading. Sure, there are a lot of times when I die/get hit because I missed my z-cancel and I'm playing with higer caliber players but I still do fairly well.

The most important thing to do is to just get experience. Knowing when to f-smash and when to shzc a d-air is the most important thing.

Top Bottom