• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why am I being so salty?

Cobaliptic

Smash Rookie
Yo smashers,

So I've been playing competitive since almost 4-5 months now, I'm mostly practicing alone, but I'm also netplaying almost every evenings with my friend (who also started playing competitive at the same time as I did). I try to go to every melee weeklies as often as I can.

I'm mostly maining Falcon. What I've learned so far is that he requires such perfection on every moves, because one **** up and you'll basically get destroyed really fast.

When my friend and I started playing, we, sometimes, were you know... "normal salty" where nothing was really serious... but now, I don't know why, but we both (but mostly I) get really angry at ourselves because of some missed techs or wavedashes or whatever... is it normal? Like (lol) am I in THAT part of the learning curve where you get angry because you wanted to do such thing but it doesn't happen because you suck? Or am I ******** and need to take a chill pill?

You'd think it's only with Falcon but even when I pick Marth (wich is, for me, a little slower, so much easier at OUR level) I get super angry when I lose. Sometimes, even when he's on a 3 stock lead I just LRAStart the **** out of there and call another game. :( Isn't this game made FOR FUN DAMNIT?

like I'm not the kinda guy that doesn't rage at all, but not that much. especially on Smash. Halp pls?

Maybe I'm just ********, also. don't be shy to say it.

Last edited:
For a quick answer I think you're letting your expectations get the best of you, becoming a pressure on you: now, when you fail, it 'matters' because you 'should' be able to do the move, but you aren't. Just know that each step is continual practice and nothing is given to you fairly, because small variables change all the time. (One possible thing that could be stimulating this frustration is you having gotten used to a tech over time you've slowly and accidentally shifted the timing off, and so now you're messing up tech when you should be getting it, but really you just have to relearn it and it'll take almost no time.)

silkys

Smash Cadet
Yeah I really feel this. I get salty all the time with my pal who started playing comp with me, and whenever he whoops my ass I get frustrated and I wont stop playing him 'till I win a game. It sucks but there's not much else I can do about losing besides practice more and play him, which in turn just makes me more frustrated.

Cobaliptic

Smash Rookie
For a quick answer I think you're letting your expectations get the best of you, becoming a pressure on you: now, when you fail, it 'matters' because you 'should' be able to do the move, but you aren't. Just know that each step is continual practice and nothing is given to you fairly, because small variables change all the time. (One possible thing that could be stimulating this frustration is you having gotten used to a tech over time you've slowly and accidentally shifted the timing off, and so now you're messing up tech when you should be getting it, but really you just have to relearn it and it'll take almost no time.)
Yeah, you're right. But it's hard to do so. Thinking about "nah, it's alright, I'm still learning". But if I was able to do that, I would probably stop being so salty.

Yeah I really feel this. I get salty all the time with my pal who started playing comp with me, and whenever he whoops my *** I get frustrated and I wont stop playing him 'till I win a game. It sucks but there's not much else I can do about losing besides practice more and play him, which in turn just makes me more frustrated.
See the biggest problem on my part is that I, when we first started, was winning most games, and now it's becoming slowly the opposite. It's like if I was going to get all the wins ALL the time because jee I'm so good. I just need practice. And less salt.

You don't need practice. You need to have fun by simply playing the game. Don't care about winning vs losing. Playing Melee is a victory

Top Bottom