• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why alternate costumes is a horrid idea:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tera253

Smash Ace
okay, it's time of an old-skool debate hall style rant, complete with 1st person tags.
[1stperson]
I'm sick to death of people saying things like "XX character should be an alternate costume of ZZ character". do you know what that would do to the tier list? (let's face it, there WILL be one)
Middle Tier:
Mario
Mario w/ Doc costume

and, they'd have to have like 9 or 10 different costumes for them, since they need at least a red, a blue, or agreen for each for team battles.
alternate costumes of a particular character should be just that: alternate costumes for A specific character. No Young Link for Link, no Doc for Mario, and ,(get a load of what some idiot n00b once said) no Pichu for Pikachu.

the only possible exception would be if the announcer announced the names differently, AND that each A.C. had the exact same moves.
better than clones? I think not.

an answer for clones: Luigification.
[/1stperson]
~Tera253~

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Fine, then Dr.Mario will surely not make any sort of apperance. It's whatever you want. ;)

MarsBitrona

Smash Apprentice
You should specify at some point exactly what you mean by "alternate costumes." I would like to see Doctor Mario as an alternate costume for Mario so that he will look like Dr. Mario, not so he will play like Dr. Mario does in Melee. He'll play the same either way. And, as many people fail to realize, all the characters are going to play differently than they did in Melee. So the people that like Dr. Mario because he's Dr. Mario will be happy because he's in there. Anybody who wants Dr. Mario in Brawl because they like how he played in Melee will be disappointed no matter what. Even if Dr. Mario is his own character in Brawl, they'll be disappointed because he will play differently, almost guaranteed. So, alternate costumes are a great idea because players who really liked the characters because of who they were and not how they played will be satisfied. Anybody so married to the how the characters played in Melee will never be pleased with Brawl.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You should specify at some point exactly what you mean by "alternate costumes." I would like to see Doctor Mario as an alternate costume for Mario so that he will look like Dr. Mario, not so he will play like Dr. Mario does in Melee. He'll play the same either way. And, as many people fail to realize, all the characters are going to play differently than they did in Melee. So the people that like Dr. Mario because he's Dr. Mario will be happy because he's in there. Anybody who wants Dr. Mario in Brawl because they like how he played in Melee will be disappointed no matter what. Even if Dr. Mario is his own character in Brawl, they'll be disappointed because he will play differently, almost guaranteed. So, alternate costumes are a great idea because players who really liked the characters because of who they were and not how they played will be satisfied. Anybody so married to the how the characters played in Melee will never be pleased with Brawl.
I LOVE YOU! <3 I was about to say that, but you where so sweet to do it yourself. *blush*

Okay, I'll quit the gay ****, but seriously that's what would happen if Doc would come back. Not that he would, since he WILL not return. Btw for all you guys and Tera's; it ****ing confirmed that characters will leave! And please... do you REALLY think that Doc'll return? >_>;

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Some alternate costumes make sense, others don't. Doctor mario as an alternate costume for Mario makes sense because they can easily make it the same size and give them the same moveset. Young Link as an alternate costume for Link doesn't make sense because Link is smaller and faster when he's young, and it wouldn't make sense for a 10 year old to be the same size and weight when he grows up. What they should do with Young Link is make his moveset different completely. Give him different items from the game as Link has.

As far as what it'd do to the tier list is concerned, it'd do nothing. We don't list on the melee tier list, for example:

High tier:
Peach
Peach w/ blue costume
Peach w/ Daisy costume
etc...

An alternate costume is exactly that. It's just appearance based. All other variables, such as weight, moveset, lag, fall speed, etc. remain the same. Peach doesn't become suddenly better if I pick the blue costume instead of the red. So if they make Doc an alternate costume for Mario, he wouldn't suddenly be better or worse if you pick the Doc costume over the classic Mario costume, or any other color, such as green.

Tera253

Smash Ace
[1stperson]
the only possible exception would be ... that each A.C. had the exact same moves.
better than clones? I think not.
[/1stperson]
~Tera253~

bridged. but there you go.
Diddy Kong sux. Doc pwns him and the member like a nub.
if you want a character that won't return, here's a hint: it starts with a 'young' and ends with a 'Link'
~Tera253~

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Well, yeah, alternate costumes would have to be just that, costumes. If you changed the states behind the moves along with the costume, then you have a clone, exacly like in Melee now, except less because most clones in Melee have a few tweaked animations and extra particle effects too.

But just changing the appearance of a character b itself is a fantastic idea that allows for a lot of creativity. Skeletal Bowser, Zora Armor Link, etc... You could even have some really weird stuff, like an alternate costume of Link that's Zelda, or omething. You know, Zelda weilding the sword and sheild, sounding like Link? That's hilarious.

And as for young link... consider that we now seem to have two styles for the Zelda franchise: The realistic one that we see in Oot and TP, and the cartoony style that started with WW and continued with MC and now Phantom Hourglass. Since the cartoony style always has link lookin' like he first did in wind waker, I don't think it's too far fetched that Young Link may return with a brand new cartoony look. Either way, he wouldn't be an alternate costume.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Once characters start being different from each other, they cease being alternate costumes and start being clones, instead. Really, what the hell is the point of this thread? You don't see anyone saying that Peach w/ Daisy costume is a different tier from Peach w/ nurse costume in Melee, do you?

spjd

Smash Apprentice
I'm all for the Alternate Characters idea, as long as their stats remain unchanged.
I think it would be very cool to have Mario dress like Dr. Mario, Wario in his old outfit, Samus as Dark Samus (Don't know if that'll work though) and so on..

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
bridged. but there you go.
Diddy Kong sux. Doc pwns him and the member like a nub.
if you want a character that won't return, here's a hint: it starts with a 'young' and ends with a 'Link'
~Tera253~
Ohh sure, yet I'll be the first one to laugh in your face when they confirm Diddy Kong for Brawl and confirm that Doc'll be out. Which doesn't even has to happen, since anyone with atleast some common sence knows that Doc won't return. Mario and Doc's Fairs have even been mixed togheter into one move. Need proof? Check the second trailer.

And I'm also pretty sure that my DK'll eat your doc. No way to proove it though in any sort of way, since I'm too lazy and poor to go and visit you for a Melee fight and second; Doc won't be in Brawl so we could never have the DK or Diddy Kong vs Dr.Mario fight.

Besides, Young Link is by far more likely to stay than Dr.Mario since he atleast has his own spinoff series; the cel shaded Legend of Zelda games. Dr.Mario might have that old GBA game, but who would even play that when you could get a NORMAL Super Mario game? I wouldn't atleast.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Everyone knows Daisy is higher in the Melee Tier Lists than Peach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom