• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why all the roy hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
From the "Roy's our boy" chants to being booed out of the building everyone seems to hate him as future dlc and my only question is why? Is it because Lucina is the new Marth clone and people don't want three clones? Would Roy have gotten a warmer welcome if Lucina was a skin swap for Marth or just non existent in sm4sh? Would it be better (even thought it won't happen) if Roy got his project m moveset? Or is there some other reason why the Roy is receiving so much hate?

sogeki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MexicanSaiyan
From the "Roy's our boy" chants to being booed out of the building everyone seems to hate him as future dlc and my only question is why? Is it because Lucina is the new Marth clone and people don't want three clones? Would Roy have gotten a warmer welcome if Lucina was a skin swap for Marth or just non existent in sm4sh? Would it be better (even thought it won't happen) if Roy got his project m moveset? Or is there some other reason why the Roy is receiving so much hate?
There's Roy hate? I thought he was guaranteed to make it into smash.

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
If you look at other forums that talk about the roy and ryu dlc leak a lot of people don't want him which is mind boggling to me

D

Deleted member

If Roy gets made into a unique clone similar to how Luigi was done, he'll be good to go.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't hate Roy.

I don't like that he's probably going to be a clone. I don't like that he's going to be a clone of a character that already has a clone. I don't like that they'll probably charge full price for him despite that. I don't like that he's another Fire Emblem character when we already have four of them.

but I don't hate Roy.

I'd be a lot more open to Roy if he had a new moveset (or at least ended up being a quasi clone similar to Wolf and Lucas) but until further notice the news of his return doesn't fill me with fuzzy feelings.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
Well it's probably because Roy Koopa is already in the game.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If Mewtwo and Ganondorf are any indication, they aren't going to change up his moves all that much, meaning that he would most likely be a second direct clone of Marth. In addition, five Fire Emblem characters (the same amount of characters as Zelda, and more than several series combined) seems like overkill, especially since Fire Emblem isn't an A-list franchise on the level of Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon (in fact, it was on the verge of being outright cancelled before Fire Emblem Awakening surpassed sales expectations).

If Roy is actually added to the game, it would be especially irritating because there are definitely finite resources at this point; they can't keep making DLC characters forever, and making one of those DLC characters a veteran who is almost exactly a clone of Marth seems like a waste, particularly when the roster already has Lucina, another Marth clone.

Last edited:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
I don't hate Roy, but I don't care about him either. If he gets added, my only reaction will be "ok, another character to knee in the face".

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I personally don't like Roy (never played his game, so it's all about his Smash appearance, where he is a kinda generic manga hero... Although Marth applies as well), but I am for his return. Not because of Melee, but just because of the fanservice.

The hate mainly comes from his clone status from Melee. Although that contrary to Doctor Mario, I doubt that he will be perfectly cloned. Both Roy and Lucina were last minute additions, and other clones such as Falco and Ganondorf were "luigified".

I don't mind if he stay close to Marth (it's inevitable, as he is a sword user), but I expect him to be a bit different this time. Retaining his neutral-B makes him different after all. (although there's Ike's neutral B)

Like Ganondorf, I expect a new Side-B.

My main fear about him is: will he retain his counter move?

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
Let me summarize the Roy hate for you:
"WAAAH WAAAH Roy is in but my favourite/obscure character is not! WAAAAH"

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Let me summarize the Roy hate for you:
"WAAAH WAAAH Roy is in but my favourite/obscure character is not! WAAAAH"
This. I'm all for newcomers, but seeing Mewtwo's return is REALLY cool, and this applies to Lucas as well (and I don't care about the blond boy).
Roy have the tools to be (at least) the luigified character he could have been in Brawl, so I'm interested to see what will happen.

I also saw complains about the fact that the first DLC newcomer would be a guest... But guys please, it's Ryu, it's definitely a big name.

Volaro

Smash Rookie
NNID
Volaro
3DS FC
2707-2096-3929
Considering how little they changed Mewtwo's moveset, it really comes down to the fact that he's probably gonna be another Marth clone in a game with four Fire Emblem characters already.

I can't imagine there would be as much hate if Sakurai came out and said "Yeah, he's coming but his moveset is gonna be different."

1. Smash fans hate clones (except japan who loves vets)
2. smash fans are jealous that FE has 3 characters and another clone (and now another)
3. Smash fans get really jealous really easily.
4. Roy is not their boy

marco-polo

Smash Rookie
I do not hate the character of Roy, but having play many other fire emblem games, there are more better fire emblem characters they chose from. Like Hector, Lyn, Eliwood, Tiki and many more characters are more interesting to me and could be be a whole new character instead a lugified clone of Marth

Last edited:

TheBazry64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBazry64
He is a fire emblem character.
Fire Emblem already has 4 characters
DK for example has 2.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
He is a fire emblem character.
Fire Emblem already has 4 characters
DK for example has 2.
Because Smash Bros is totally a parade, where character should be added because X franchise needs Y character. Its not like this is a fighting game where a character should be added because (as Sakurai cleary stated) he brings something to the table...
Sorry if I sound rude or mean but really, the character number x franchise argument is plain stupid: Shulk wasn't added because Xenoblade needed a rep, but because game developpers were able to create a swordfighter with an unique gameplay.

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
It's not Roy that I dislike per sé-- it's the fact that these DLC packs are lining up to be mostly characters cut from the roster previously. It feels like a bit of a cop-out, really. We could have more interesting characters that explore new dynamics, but instead we're getting cut-and-paste characters from the older games, and judging by Mewtwo, little revisions will be made. Who's next, Pichu?

TheBazry64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBazry64
Because Smash Bros is totally a parade, where character should be added because X franchise needs Y character. Its not like this is a fighting game where a character should be added because (as Sakurai cleary stated) he brings something to the table...
Sorry if I sound rude or mean but really, the character number x franchise argument is plain stupid: Shulk wasn't added because Xenoblade needed a rep, but because game developpers were able to create a swordfighter with an unique gameplay.
And was does Roy bring to the table?
He is a Sworfighter and most likely a marth clone.
And what would characters like K Rool Inklings and others bring to the table?
Right! Something new and an unique playstyle.
Roy is just a product of Sakurai bias.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
And was does Roy bring to the table?
He is a Sworfighter and most likely a marth clone.
And what would characters like K Rool Inklings and others bring to the table?
Right! Something new and an unique playstyle.
Roy is just a product of Sakurai bias.
I love how you already know that Roy is going to be a clone and K. Rool is going to have an unique and spectacular playstyle. How did you achieve clairsentience, is by leveling up your psychic powers or is just an hater thing?

Also, why don't you spew some hate about Lucsa? Isn't he a clone/semi-clone of Ness?
I could spend the next hour to explain how actually Roy added a different gameplay from Marth, not only with different sweetspot but also with different proprieties, how the boy have as many fans as you precious Inklings (a game that isn't out yet) and more...but as Falkoopa already said, go to Roy thread for more informations.

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
Roy is not any particularly interesting in anyway. He's unremarkable in both Melee and Fire Emblem 6. I kinda just don't understand the appeal. Same with K. Rool really. Like son, have you played Wonderful 101? Amazing game with a super worthy character that already owned by Nintendo. I am also rooting for Snake as well. And Ryu is a freakin' icon. Worthy of a spot imo.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Because hating on Dark Pit is sooo 2014.

He's just another clone (maaybe potential semi-clone) that's easy to hate on. I'm not at all surprised we are getting some so I'm not all that fussed. Especially since they are just add-on content.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom