• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whose Mafia Is it Anyway - Game Over!

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
but i want to ask you something. when lore and spak were going at each other earlier you wrote it off as prolly town vs town. gorfs case appealed to you and youre saying youd consider a spak vote. can you please break this progression down for me like what was going thru your mind during their conversation? and what specifically youve seen further down the road that has you reconsidering?

also how do you feel about gorf? drugs may or may not b a part of your answer
1. On mobile in a car (not driving) will do my best tho.

Initially I did think that Lore vs six pak was TvT. The conversation seemed earnest.
On a reread I noticed that spak had early negativity, like doop and maven. While maven wasn’t scum, doop was. So that was in my head, but I didn’t necessarily want to only base things on the previous game. However, to write it off completely means I’m giving the benefit of the doubt to spak for no real reason.

3. Gorf bringing it up validated some of what I was thinking or noticed, but thought enough of that “tell” (and I’m ruining Gorfs case because I need to reread, wanted to for Soup too) of doop similarities were there, at least for Gorf to warrant a vote. That caught my attention. And having someone else vote towards that has definitely pushed me more in the direction that I could see a spak lynch.

4.i have Gorf as null.

Fandangox

Smash Lord
1. On mobile in a car (not driving) will do my best tho.

Initially I did think that Lore vs six pak was TvT. The conversation seemed earnest.
On a reread I noticed that spak had early negativity, like doop and maven. While maven wasn’t scum, doop was. So that was in my head, but I didn’t necessarily want to only base things on the previous game. However, to write it off completely means I’m giving the benefit of the doubt to spak for no real reason.

3. Gorf bringing it up validated some of what I was thinking or noticed, but thought enough of that “tell” (and I’m ruining Gorfs case because I need to reread, wanted to for Soup too) of doop similarities were there, at least for Gorf to warrant a vote. That caught my attention. And having someone else vote towards that has definitely pushed me more in the direction that I could see a spak lynch.

4.i have Gorf as null.
So if you think Spak may be scummy from that exchange and that you may no longer think it was TvT why are you not pursuing that, why are you wasting your vote on an inactive slot

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
i dont know. im at a point where i need frozen and spak to post along with some more discourse in general (which i think should happen after they weigh) and a flip before i lock something like that in

OrangeXhtml

Smash Apprentice
think its scummy how lore is sticking to this hypothetical as a means to push discussion. gave im a pass for the first time but it feels contrived at this point
I dunno, I feel like scum!Lore'd stop after the first hypothetical after getting caught out for it.
and why the continued engagement of pythag? i mean him no offense but if i was scum pythags a player i would press considering how ppl found him scummy last game. its convenient and just a weird direction to go as town rn
I agree, but Lore also pressed Pythag hard last game from the getgo; I think that they've just not mentally separated Pythag from this game and last game yet.
Lore scum for moving his vote in RVS. I already explained my reasoning for you. That's it.
How is moving your vote around in RVS scummy? I've never found that as a tell for anything, and if that were a common tell it'd be a pretty obvious move to keep your vote in place. Furthermore, this still doesn't explain your opinion of my slot at all (which I don't remember you covering before this point). I know you're trying to play different, but I honestly liked your old playstyle much better. It gave me a clearer picture of your genuine reactions rather than a cool and calculated facade that you'd project.
Let's just lynch between Lore and soup for Day 1
Really don't like this; I haven't seen sufficient evidence at this point to think either of them are particularly scummy, and you haven't seemed to make a strong case for either. Would you mind elaborating on why you'd like the lynch to lie between Lore and Soup? What would we get out of that lynch?
However I do not like at all how he basically admits he didn't look at the votecount after apparently almost thinking he hammered Ryker on accident after being pressed on it #138
This is the only solid thing against Soup that I saw up to this point (although it could've all been for the meme lol).

I don't have anything to really quote for this, but I'll say that Lore's gut reactions feel really similar to last game, which is what's keeping me on Lore as null/slight town at the moment. I don't agree with a lot of their playstyle choices, but at the same time I don't think it's a scum tell.

Also, I don't like that Pythag seems to just be rolling with the general thread opinion. He was fine with my interactions with Lore at the time, then he said that my interactions reminded him of Doop after Gorf's post, he voted FF out of the blue, then he transitioned to thinking I'm a little scummy after that but never swapped the vote over. He seems to be just floating along with thread opinion, which makes me believe that he's either a little scum or an extremely suggestible townie.

Vote: Pythag

I'm about to go play the rhythm LoZ game with one of my friends, but I might be back on later tonight.

~Spak

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Spak, I don't see why you would expect me to elaborate on your slot. Moving a vote in RVS would mean he's not interested in scum hunting but rather socializing instead. I think I might be wrong now though. I also think Soup shouldn't be an option anymore. I am noticing a difference of tone from Spak here compared to last game. Re-reading, I do see what Gorf sees.

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
Flight got delayed by 6.5 hours, but I finally am at my parents house and have internet access again.
OrangeXhtml OrangeXhtml Replaces Spak
#HBC | FrozeηFlame #HBC | FrozeηFlame has been prodded. I'm giving him until 4 pm central friday to post for this prod because tomorrow is a holiday.
Vote Count incoming.

(also here is a picture of my parents dog because shes very cute) https://imgur.com/a/bFIn9z0

Last edited:

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
Votecount

Ryker (1): FrozenFlame
Soup (4): Kary, Kevin, Lore, Ryker
Lore (4): Marshy, Fandangox, Tom, soup
OrangeXHTML (2): Gorf, Ranmaru
FrozenFlame (1): Pythag
Pythag(1): OrangeXHTML

Not Voting(0):

With 13 alive it takes 7 to lynch

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
To elaborate on Soup: I expect him to talk in the way he has here, it is part of his personality. I'm mostly giving him the benefit of the doubt simply because he was the first person to state doubts about Spak, and am starting to feel I am wrong on him due to that. I think Soup is a player that seems to have good reads, but as town, usually gains heat on himself. Yet when scum, he never attracts attention, and I would rather keep alive for today at least. I don't care about the almost hammer. That wasn't my concern.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
To elaborate on Spak: His #58 is the only post when others are conversing around him. So he doesn't really post much besides that, until Marshy asks him more about it. In his #93 he explains his thought process and starts to say he might be thinking it's just town lore. To me, this seems he made that post to shade Lore after Tom was calling him weird, rather than actually consider it may have been town lore at all. If he had actually thought about it, he wouldn't have made that post. He cares to **** on Lore rather than determine his alignment.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
#HBC | marshy #HBC | marshy In your #258 you ask Gorf about Ryker and Spak. What was your conclusion from that answer of his? What's your take on Gorf and Spak?

OrangeXhtml

Smash Apprentice
Spak, I don't see why you would expect me to elaborate on your slot.
Because you said "Spak is scum" without ever saying anything else to justify your statement. If you're gonna call me scum, I'm gonna want to know why you think that. It's kinda absurd of you to think that I wouldn't bring it up lol.
To elaborate on Spak: His #58 is the only post when others are conversing around him. So he doesn't really post much besides that, until Marshy asks him more about it. In his #93 he explains his thought process and starts to say he might be thinking it's just town lore. To me, this seems he made that post to shade Lore after Tom was calling him weird, rather than actually consider it may have been town lore at all. If he had actually thought about it, he wouldn't have made that post. He cares to **** on Lore rather than determine his alignment.
Well, thanks for elaborating anyways!

As for my #59, I was just giving my gut reaction to the post. I thought it felt weird (and still don't agree that hypotheticals are useful in RVS), so I said what I was thinking. The specific thing I called out wasn't correct and I wasn't properly viewing it through Lore's meta because my stomach felt like it was trying to kill itself, but I was trying to feel out the slot and nitpick hard enough get the game out of RVS. I admit that I was reachy in some of my arguments, but it helped me see what Lore was like under similar circumstances to last game. If you wanna try and kill me for making a comment about a post I disagreed with in early RVS feel free, but I got a pretty good feel for Lore's through the interaction I had with them, so I don't regret it at all.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
It didn't seem like you were actively trying to nitpick your way out of RVS. You left the #58 and bounced. You were only conversing with Lore because Lore responded to your Marshy response.

OrangeXhtml

Smash Apprentice
It didn't seem like you were actively trying to nitpick your way out of RVS. You left the #58 and bounced. You were only conversing with Lore because Lore responded to your Marshy response.
I bounced because it was 1:00 AM and I had to get up at 8:00 the next morning for work (before I called in sick and slept in). Then, I decided that I should just be trying to get better (which is why I didn't come back after bowing out at the end of my interactions with Lore yesterday). It was all very poorly timed I admit, but I was trying to nitpick Lore's responses so that I could feel out their slot (and then they continued questioning after I'd determined they didn't feel particularly scummy).

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
What is your read on Kary? (Stance and reasoning)

OrangeXhtml

Smash Apprentice
I don't really like Kary that much. I think that her "I want Soup or Lore to go today" isn't substantiated by much (Kary doesn't seem to have developed much of a case on either of them), that ultimatum was introduced way earlier than it should've been in the phase, and their posts seem inconsistent (like not wanting to draw conclusions as to if they thought Lore v. Soup was TvS in #207 due to how early it was, but then by #316 he heavily implies it). I also don't like that he'll just give Lore a pass on a scum!Soup flip; while I don't think that was SvS (largely because I have both of those slots as town leans), I don't think that one could draw a conclusion so strongly as to completely ignore a slot later on. I have them as a scum lean.

OrangeXhtml

Smash Apprentice
(And I still need to figure out Kary's gender, if last message's he/she/they wasn't clear enough lol.)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Overall, I don't think your responses are good explanations for what I brought up.

OrangeXhtml

Smash Apprentice
Well, it's the honest truth. I'm sorry to hear that, but I honestly don't know what else to tell you lol.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
i dont know. im at a point where i need frozen and spak to post along with some more discourse in general (which i think should happen after they weigh) and a flip before i lock something like that in
this doesn't tell me anything.

On a Lore scum flip, their early interactions are certainly suspect. Not enough to be conclusive, but it should be one of town's next moves. You thinking their early interactions are forced?
No. I'm just trying to understand why the two of you are questioning Pythag. I didn't see anything that makes me think he's scum.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
#HBC | marshy #HBC | marshy In your #258 you ask Gorf about Ryker and Spak. What was your conclusion from that answer of his? What's your take on Gorf and Spak?
gorfs response is fine. hes null, prolly town if spak flips scum

dont like spak. thought he was reachy when first shading lore and awkward earlier in the game. and feel like hes too dismissive of lore/soup in a way that makes me wonder if hes scum with knowledge. im fine with the push/pressure and i wanna see where his thing with pythag goes

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
I agree, but Lore also pressed Pythag hard last game from the getgo; I think that they've just not mentally separated Pythag from this game and last game yet.
this is a weird and bad assumption to make.

Really don't like this; I haven't seen sufficient evidence at this point to think either of them are particularly scummy, and you haven't seemed to make a strong case for either. Would you mind elaborating on why you'd like the lynch to lie between Lore and Soup? What would we get out of that lynch?
soup was being weird in the way he suddenly hopped onto the ryker waggon then recanted.
lore was being weird with aimless hypothetical questions.

how is this direction bad?

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
1. this doesn't tell me anything.

2. No. I'm just trying to understand why the two of you are questioning Pythag. I didn't see anything that makes me think he's scum.
1. ok

2. to force content. i dont need a hard scumread on someone to want to question them

OrangeXhtml

Smash Apprentice
soup was being weird in the way he suddenly hopped onto the ryker waggon then recanted.
lore was being weird with aimless hypothetical questions.
Soup's vote was a little weird (and I agree that he DEFINITELY should've done a votecount before hopping on the Ryker wagon), but I understand the unvote because Ryker was at L-1 (which is a really dangerous spot for an inactive scum to go "I like the Ryker wagon", vote Ryker, and blame not having read up to kill a slot that has no paper trail). I also think that people are putting way too much weight into an RVS meme vote. His reactions have seemed fairly natural and he's been actively involved in conversation, so I'm more than happy to keep him around

The Lore town lean is mostly strong gut/meta; interacting with them this game felt identical to last, and while I don't necessarily like their decision making some of the time, it's consistent and feels genuine. I feel like scum!Lore would've backed off and not gone for hypothetical #2; it seems like they were legitimately trying to work their way out of RVS (as aimless as early-game hypotheticals are), and most scum would try to back out of the spotlight after catching some heat (or at least not repeat the same thing). I understand the Lore wagon from the perspective of slots that haven't had heavy interaction with Lore in the past, but I'm willing to put a lot of the accusations against Lore on playstyle rather than alignment.

Happy 4th, everybody!

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Happy 4th! I'll mostly be out and about today, going to a baseball game with family. I'm not the biggest fan of the sport, but it means a lot to them so I'm glad to go.

I'll still post every now and then, but I'll try to actually restrain myself and not post a million things like usual.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer

dont like spak. thought he was reachy when first shading lore and awkward earlier in the game. and feel like hes too dismissive of lore/soup in a way that makes me wonder if hes scum with knowledge. im fine with the push/pressure and i wanna see where his thing with pythag goes
Agreed on Spak being dismissive of Soup/Lore as being a bit weird. He went into detail a bit further down, but considering how much of the thread has been Lore v Soup already, I'm surprised he doesn't have a scum lean on at least one of us. When I have better signal, I'll send a couple questions his way as I think of them.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
I don't really like Kary that much. I think that her "I want Soup or Lore to go today" isn't substantiated by much (Kary doesn't seem to have developed much of a case on either of them), that ultimatum was introduced way earlier than it should've been in the phase, and their posts seem inconsistent (like not wanting to draw conclusions as to if they thought Lore v. Soup was TvS in #207 due to how early it was, but then by #316 he heavily implies it). I also don't like that he'll just give Lore a pass on a scum!Soup flip; while I don't think that was SvS (largely because I have both of those slots as town leans), I don't think that one could draw a conclusion so strongly as to completely ignore a slot later on. I have them as a scum lean.
This (the bolded) seems like you really didn't think it through.

What am I, scum with Lore AND soup, and trying to clear my buddy Lore after soup flips?

Of all the things you could criticize about my #316 this just seems weird.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Soup's vote was a little weird (and I agree that he DEFINITELY should've done a votecount before hopping on the Ryker wagon), but I understand the unvote because Ryker was at L-1 (which is a really dangerous spot for an inactive scum to go "I like the Ryker wagon", vote Ryker, and blame not having read up to kill a slot that has no paper trail). I also think that people are putting way too much weight into an RVS meme vote. His reactions have seemed fairly natural and he's been actively involved in conversation, so I'm more than happy to keep him around

The Lore town lean is mostly strong gut/meta; interacting with them this game felt identical to last, and while I don't necessarily like their decision making some of the time, it's consistent and feels genuine. I feel like scum!Lore would've backed off and not gone for hypothetical #2; it seems like they were legitimately trying to work their way out of RVS (as aimless as early-game hypotheticals are), and most scum would try to back out of the spotlight after catching some heat (or at least not repeat the same thing). I understand the Lore wagon from the perspective of slots that haven't had heavy interaction with Lore in the past, but I'm willing to put a lot of the accusations against Lore on playstyle rather than alignment.
I didn't ask you to justify your reads. I asked you why my direction was bad.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
@Tom #HBC | FrozeηFlame #HBC | FrozeηFlame tell me now before we get rolling very far, what should I be expecting from you two in terms of activity compared to last game? Obviously you won't be as active as me, but is it reasonable to be waiting on your input on things? Marshy's bingo board is pretty accurate. I have a history to defaulting to a scum read on you two and marshy and I want to address that. Kev is the only one of those I got over. Everyone else just stopped playing.

That aside, I want your take on Soup. His entrance into his vote setting the wagon to L-1 and then how he has approached the sideline of the Lore/Spak conversation. He's probably the meatiest slot in the game right now.
Gonna be completely honest and say that I'm aspiring to have activity level that is slightly better than my D1 showing from last game. It's hard for me to check the thread regularly during the work week and my evenings are pretty busy Mon/Tues/Thurs which makes it hard to keep up sometimes when I'm trying to catch up. If you want my input on something best strat is to quote it and tag me so I can go directly to whatever it is you want my input on and read it without having to sift through pages and pages of content.

Soup comes out looking better than Lore in that standoff imo. Lore is giving me heavy JeXs vibes from last game, trying everything possible to not offend or come off combative and deflect pressure on him with passivity. A lot of people seem to be chalking this up to just being lore's playstyle but my gut doesnt like it
think its scummy how lore is sticking to this hypothetical as a means to push discussion. gave im a pass for the first time but it feels contrived at this point

and why the continued engagement of pythag? i mean him no offense but if i was scum pythags a player i would press considering how ppl found him scummy last game. its convenient and just a weird direction to go as town rn

dont like how he opened the question up to the floor either. why not just let the game progress organically? thatll do much more for reads than the route hes taken

i feel like a lot of lores posts are for show. like trying to establish himself as a driver of discussion when a townie wouldnt feel that way considering where were at at this point in the game
couldn't really agree more with everything in this post

It segues how I feel about this precedent being set right now despite it being very early. I think Lore's vote on me sucks, but if I tilt my head I could say that the votes on me kinda suck too. Am I supposed to think that scum are just playing with their food this early, or is it misguided townies trying to split the difference? That is harder to determine in my perspective because I have Ran who is actively playing different, Kary who is being Kary, then Tom/Kevin who I have very limited experience with. What do you think? Do you think that this is a double net profit and that both Me/Lore are just two scum caught together, or one is a mislynch? You've been avoiding how you feel about me, but yeah I guess what I could call it is just vibes for sure.
I found myself debating a lot of these same questions by the point I got to this post. Reinforces my belief that soup comes out looking better than lore in that matchup. Ran's change in style is hella bothering me. Until the last page of the thread he was almost completely absent which is so unlike Ran that my alarm bells were going off every page I clicked an didn't see a Ran post. I get that maybe he's trying to go for a new style here but damn, my gut is telling me that he's just scum AND trying to use a new style but is overwhelmed by the pressure of changing from town to scum from last game AND trying to use a new style and is just stuck in this paralysis of not knowing what move to make because he cares too much about how he'll be perceived. Maybe I'm reading way too deep into it but yeah Ran's slot is pinging hard for me at this point. Also agreed that Kary's play is super congruent with last game and iirc that slot was town. Kary isn't pinging me at all this game so far so I was interested to see this read mirrored by someone else

dawg the worst thing about playing town is that i have to have actual reads instead of just faking them and saying **** that makes town ride my ****
holy actual **** this is easily top 5 grossest posts of the game so far

bro was scum last game and now tries this cute meta appeal **** "lololol teehee guys this game is SOOOOOOOOO much harder than last game cuz I actually have to read people and not just spread bull**** and get town to dickride me oh woe is me but dont worry guys Im so town and have solidarity with the effort yall had to actually put in last game and I do too now in this game!"

rykers straight. im bout the way hes poking at the whole lore/soup thing

spak = doop from last game.

first impression is im getting maaaad doop vibes from the last game. lores dumb hypothetical smells kinda bad but i can see a world where hes p much just lynchbait off it, but spak turns something thats mostly innocuous and strange into something thats got this veil of scumminess to it without really being firm about it in any way. and the fact that this comes out 12 minutes after toms post is sketch

this is also some mad logorrhea when he couldve just said something to the tune of "lol my b." this isnt the first time any of us have seen a random person ask another random person about a dumb random thing

that being said i fux with your lore scumread from beyond this point, as well as the whole dynamic he took voting soup. i dont really feel like reading lores posts though so imma just sheep you and take the credit if he flips scum and blame you if he flips town

also the way lore and spak went back and forth early on was pretty awko taco too and it didnt really go anywhere. like i was reading that and i was hoping to see some spice but it deflated mad quick. all of that to say that i dont wanna hear any mother ****ers talking about LoRe Vs SpAk CaNt Be sVs

unvote

vote: spak
frankly if you hadn't follow up with this post after that vomit inducing bull**** I just quoted above my vote would already be on you. I'll give you credit here, I think this is some good thoughtful content. Definitely get the Lore as lynchbait feel even tho I do think he comes off looking way worse than soup in their interaction. Agreed that spak's conduct comes off like pushing lynchbait
too complex

letting the game progress organically just means ppl dropping votes, wagoning, crafting arguments, etc.
so much this. The evolution of wagons is easily the best paper trail the town can create. People can go back and forth posting walls at each other for days but ultimately thats worth so much less than seeing who the **** actually joins viable wagons and moves the game toward making a decisive move. Both town and scum can talk forever without much risk. Putting the chips down and actually moving the needle toward a lynch and removing slots from the game is how you really figure out who means what they say and who's just ****ing posturing or signalling. Ultimately your wincon dictactes who you're cool with dying, and the only way we really know who people want dead is who they will actually wagon when theres a real threat of that wagon resulting in a lynch.

Did not think of the dismissiveness = scum with knowledge angle. this is some good ****, also agreed with the gorf read here

Unvote: Ryker
Vote: Spak/OrangeXHtml

I'm gonna be trying to keep my eye on this thread periodically throughout the day. I wasn't anticipating being able to be super active today or tomorrow because I though I had a trial coming up on monday but after some motions practice it got continued for 2 weeks so I wont be as swamped at work, which means I actually got to take today off instead of working thru the holiday for trial prep. Don't hesitate to tag me and direct me to posts you want my thoughts on because I definitely took a macro approach to this catchup and just focused on the posts that caught my eye the most

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
So, didn't you always think lore was better than soup?
At the time I voted Lore, I had no opinion of Soup. As I liked Marshys post, I had them equally suspicious. Then I saw Lore's vote on Soup, and that made me feel the wagon was better than Soups, even though I was already voting Lore.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Overall here's where I'm at, tiers are not ordered:

Not the play:
3. marshy
6. Kary
8. Ryker
11. Fandangox

Meh:

2. ѕoup
5. KevinM
9. Pythag
10. Tom

EGMEOY:

12. Gorf

Can go:

1. Ranmaru
4. OrangeXHTML
7. Lore

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Man if every catch up post last game was as good as FF's stuff, we wouldn't have had to restart. That was good ****; laid out detailed opinions, put out a vote, etc. I may disagree with a couple views (and will likely ask some questions later) but I'm always happy to see that type of content.

At the time I voted Lore, I had no opinion of Soup. As I liked Marshys post, I had them equally suspicious. Then I saw Lore's vote on Soup, and that made me feel the wagon was better than Soups, even though I was already voting Lore.
Any questions for me?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I am interested on your thoughts on Spak. Nothing to ask about what I dislike about your play.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
1. ok

2. to force content. i dont need a hard scumread on someone to want to question them
You weren't kidding about posting less this game, huh.

Okay, riddle me this. Who do you think is most likely to be scum between Ryker, Tom, and KevinM, and why? It doesn't have to be an essay. Just a reason.

Top Bottom