• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's the Best D3 in Your Region?

Winner-Bit

Smash Cadet
NNID
Twistbit
3DS FC
1977-0793-0839
So I decided to start co-maining the King alongside Sheik a couple of months ago. Once I'd learned my way around the character and his playstyle, I wanted to seek out some good Dedede players near me (in Norcal) so I could play some friendly dittos and train against them. However, since D3 is such an underused character, I have had great difficulty finding anyone around here who is well-versed with him. The only player I've seen use Dedede often in the competitive scene is Jdawg, who is based in Maryland.

My intent behind this thread is to compile a list of skilled Dedede mains, and help identify the best players across the country. If you (or someone you know) mains D3 at a tournament level, please leave a reply including the player's gamertag and location, as well as power ranking if applicable. Links to a tournament match or two of theirs would help as well. I will do my best to maintain a chart below of top players in each region.

- - - :4dedede: - - -

Competitive D3 Players By Region:

Pacific West:

Girthquake (Washington)

ChrisTheHatman (Socal)

Muskrat Catcher (Socal)

Jatayu (Socal)

Soot (Hawaii)

Southwest:

Senpai (Las Vegas)

Kallor (Arizona)

Midwest:

GodofGrunts (Indiana)

TECHNIQUE!!! (Chicago, IL)

Masho (Chicago, IL)

King (Kansas City, KS)

Cook (St. Louis, MO)

King James (West Michigan)

Rev.0 (Wisconsin)

Thrillerman (Tennessee)

Jaythreef (Arkansas)

KongXL (Texas)

Atlantic North:

Jdawg (Maryland)

Soul Train (Virginia)

Nerf (New Hampshire)

ZeThundaRippa (Maine)

Lemonefresh (Maine)

Atlantic South:

JimmyTheCaterpillar (LA, MS, AL)

SalsaSavant (Alabama)

randomguy1235 (Georgia)

International:

Big D (B.C., Canada)

Te-Jay (Newfoundland, Canada)

Karnu (Queensland, Australia)

Andy (Guadalajara, Mexico)

Addy (Nuevo Leon, Mexico)

- - - :4dedede: - - -​

Last edited:

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
Midwest is prolly TECHNIQUE!!! for sure (was that the right number of exclamations CaptainVul CaptainVul ?). Not sure who else would qualify for it off-hand.

Oh right, he's PR'd in Chicago, last I saw, but couldn't tell you what off-hand.

Last edited:

CaptainVul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KaLefty
3DS FC
5386-8706-1766
Yeah that was the right number of exclamations lol

I dunno if I would claim the best Dedede in the midwest yet tbh, I think there are a few Dedede players that might be better than me, most notably King James (West Michigan) and theres a decent amount of great Dedede players in the Midwest like Masho (Chicago as well) who doesn't go to tournaments much but is great, Cook (St.Louis), and Rev.0 (Wisconsin), ect.

Sorry if I'm forgetting any other Dededes from the Midwest but those are who I know of off the top of my head

I'm #16 in Chicago and Masho is unranked because he doesn't go to much events but he would definitely be up there. But I believe the rest of them I mentioned are ranked as well in their region. So its a tough call I don't think all of us have been to an event together.

Last edited:

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
The only famous Pac West DDD (to my knowledge) is Girthquake Girthquake , and I agree that he is really good, but he himself says that he doesn't get out much to play in tourneys with good players, so its kinda hard to judge his skill versus some other really good Pac West D3s. All I can definitively say is that the best DDD in my area is ChrisTheHatman ChrisTheHatman . He places the best in tournies out of any D3 I know locally, and he has been to majors where he has made it out of his first pool. Otherwise I don't know if shrooby shrooby is still good with DDD, but he might be a contender too, and that's all I know of that could compete for the best Pac West DDD.

I know that Girthquake and ChrisTheHatman have talked before, maybe you guys have discussed this already?

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
The only famous Pac West DDD (to my knowledge) is Girthquake Girthquake , and I agree that he is really good, but he himself says that he doesn't get out much to play in tourneys with good players, so its kinda hard to judge his skill versus some other really good Pac West D3s. All I can definitively say is that the best DDD in my area is ChrisTheHatman ChrisTheHatman . He places the best in tournies out of any D3 I know locally, and he has been to majors where he has made it out of his first pool. Otherwise I don't know if shrooby shrooby is still good with DDD, but he might be a contender too, and that's all I know of that could compete for the best Pac West DDD.

I know that Girthquake and ChrisTheHatman have talked before, maybe you guys have discussed this already?

Big D actually comes down and competes in the PNW from Canada so he's definitely a name in the PNW. I also actually just took first in a 60 man local the other day so I'm getting out to more tournaments! Trying to go to NWMs this year

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294

I don't really go to tournaments these days because of school (been to maybe three/four decent-sized brackets since G3) and when I do I don't use DDD very much.

Last edited:

randomguy1235

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to think I'm a contender for best D3 in the South East (especially considering the lack of notable D3 players here), but all I have are local tournaments under my belt (usually getting second out of 16 player weeklies).

Last edited:

Winner-Bit

Smash Cadet
NNID
Twistbit
3DS FC
1977-0793-0839
Glad this thread is garnering some interest! I wish there was a system in place already for mapping out good players by region. Hopefully, together, we can assemble a good D3 region board here -- and it's looking great already.

On a side note, I'm pretty sure I fought some friendlies with ChrisTheHatman over local wireless while waiting in line at Paragon LA 2015 (he was playing Kirby, I was Sheik). His tag was "Hatman" and he had on a D3 hat like his SB avatar, so it makes sense. Would you be able to confirm/deny, ChrisTheHatman ChrisTheHatman ?

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Glad this thread is garnering some interest! I wish there was a system in place already for mapping out good players by region. Hopefully, together, we can assemble a good D3 region board here -- and it's looking great already.

On a side note, I'm pretty sure I fought some friendlies with ChrisTheHatman over local wireless while waiting in line at Paragon LA 2015 (he was playing Kirby, I was Sheik). His tag was "Hatman" and he had on a D3 hat like his SB avatar, so it makes sense. Would you be able to confirm/deny, ChrisTheHatman ChrisTheHatman ?
There was a thread awhile back in the competitive discussion I believe trying to list the top 5 players of each character (not by region but the idea is similar) and the whole thread went to absolute ****. This is probably a better way of doing it, but you're going to have to find some sort of objective scale in which to measure who belongs as "the best" in their region. Example being I would say Big D should DEFINITELY be the top DDD of the PNW (he competes in Washington State) just looking at his results from ALL over the place. However, there are a few people that actually live in the PNW (Washington State) that are great DDD players like myself who have been predominately WiFi warriors.

TLDR The PNW rep should def be Big D IMO Not sure about the rest of the regions because it seems every day someone is either picking up a new main and shoving DDD on the back burner or all together just dropping him. I would say King James for midwest but Technique is also a great player, again would have to refer to an objective scale to measure such as results.

Last edited:

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093

Yes that was definitely ChrisTheHatman. I have never seen him post on smashboards so I don't think he would post here himself. He says that he doesn't main DDD on the 3DS version though, instead he plays Kirby and Doctor Mario when on 3DS, which is probably why he played Kirby against you. Pretty neat that you guys have met though!

backalleyracer

Smash Rookie
I play in the southwest (las vegas). I go by the name Senpai. I attended Genesis and got 4th in my pools (I feel bad about it, I should've made it out). I place middle of the pack in my locals (best being a 2nd place, typically around 5th-9th). I went to the Utah monthly last month and placed 5th (2nd best Vegas player)

Vegas has a pretty strong scene, with fow being number 1 and quite a few people who can give him a good run. I've grown in the scene these last few months since I started seriously training for genesis; I plan to attend evo as well.

I'm also the only D3 main in vegas and as far as I can tell, there are no D3 mains in socal, az, or utah.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
I play in the southwest (las vegas). I go by the name Senpai. I attended Genesis and got 4th in my pools (I feel bad about it, I should've made it out). I place middle of the pack in my locals (best being a 2nd place, typically around 5th-9th). I went to the Utah monthly last month and placed 5th (2nd best Vegas player)

Vegas has a pretty strong scene, with fow being number 1 and quite a few people who can give him a good run. I've grown in the scene these last few months since I started seriously training for genesis; I plan to attend evo as well.

I'm also the only D3 main in vegas and as far as I can tell, there are no D3 mains in socal, az, or utah.
There are a few D3s in SoCal but Shrooby kinda more or less dropped him and doesn't play the game much and I don't see Chazo at many tournaments at least not from what I see online.

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
Whatever happened to Pump Magic? I remember he was making quite a splash early on in the game's release, but I haven't heard anything about him in awhile.

backalleyracer

Smash Rookie
There are a few D3s in SoCal but Shrooby kinda more or less dropped him and doesn't play the game much and I don't see Chazo at many tournaments at least not from what I see online.
I ran into a lot of socal people at genesis, and all of them were surprised to see a D3 main, as they must not play that character at all. Also, we're there any in the recent fow saga that you know of?

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
I ran into a lot of socal people at genesis, and all of them were surprised to see a D3 main, as they must not play that character at all. Also, we're there any in the recent fow saga that you know of?
No clue to be honest. I just know that people from SoCal have talked about Chazo and that every now again he places decent in tournament with DDD.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
SoCal is a big region (both geologically and in terms of how many people are in it) so it's not really the sort of region where everyone knows everyone. There's a good handful of D3 mains/former D3 mains I know of, but they've never made "splashes" so most players in SoCal aren't going to know of them unless they just happen to live near each other.

Last edited:

Incoleo

Smash Cadet
NNID
incoleo

Whoa man I'm so mad I didn't go to the monthly now
As one of like, the three ddd's in Utah, I can definitely say we're not the best. (I'm probably the best of the three, but I don't really go to tournaments often enough so who knows)

Yeah that was the right number of exclamations lol

I dunno if I would claim the best Dedede in the midwest yet tbh, I think there are a few Dedede players that might be better than me, most notably King James (West Michigan) and theres a decent amount of great Dedede players in the Midwest like Masho (Chicago as well) who doesn't go to tournaments much but is great, Cook (St.Louis), and Rev.0 (Wisconsin), ect.

Sorry if I'm forgetting any other Dededes from the Midwest but those are who I know of off the top of my head

I'm #16 in Chicago and Masho is unranked because he doesn't go to much events but he would definitely be up there. But I believe the rest of them I mentioned are ranked as well in their region. So its a tough call I don't think all of us have been to an event together.
Funny how I get some sort of recognition when I quit the game lol. I've downgraded from PR'd smash 4 player to TO.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I live in Orange County in SoCal, and the only notable D3 mains around here are ChrisTheHatman, myself, and @Jatayu . There are more but those are the only ones that are good, yet none of us can get top 5 at our biggest weeklies at Oomba. Given this is the place where players like MrConCon, KiraFlax, Markus, Elegant, NCJacobT, and occasionally people like K9Bruce, Falln, and even ZeRo come to practice. All of these people are/have been power ranked at some point! and SoCal's power rankings are stacked if you haven't seen them.

I'm not too familiar with the Los Angeles or San Diego scenes, but I haven't heard of any D3s from those places, so yeah, unfortunately nobody is making waves with D3 around here.

Last edited:

backalleyracer

Smash Rookie
Whoa man I'm so mad I didn't go to the monthly now
As one of like, the three ddd's in Utah, I can definitely say we're not the best. (I'm probably the best of the three, but I don't really go to tournaments often enough so who knows)
Oh yea? Nice! I forget his tag name, but Ulysses (shiek and doc main) housed us for the weekend and we played a lot with him and a few of his friends. He also showed us around town and overall was the best host one could ask for.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
A lot of people around me (Central Alabama) claim to know Girthquake and think he's the best Dedede.

I need to find this imposter and wipe the floor with him.

ZeThundaRippa

Smash Cadet
Maine, you know, the place mistaken for Canada.
NNID
zethundarippa
3DS FC
5129-0353-6718
Last time I checked there were only 3 "dedicated" D3 mains in Maine. There's me, Lemonefresh, and I haven't played the other one yet. I don't want to go around saying I'm the best D3 in Maine until I've actually faced them all and win with consistency. I'll check back once I finally get to go to a tourney, been down with some weird virus for 2 months.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Last time I checked there were only 3 "dedicated" D3 mains in Maine. There's me, Lemonefresh, and I haven't played the other one yet. I don't want to go around saying I'm the best D3 in Maine until I've actually faced them all and win with consistency. I'll check back once I finally get to go to a tourney, been down with some weird virus for 2 months.
Keep in mind that winning a Ditto means literally nothing. The only true objective way to know if you're a better player over all with the character is by seeing how you handle your MU spread compared to them and how well/consistent you place in Tournament.

Last edited:

NefariousNick

Smash Rookie
This is probably preaching to the choir, but Soul Train pops by my college sometimes, although that's my only basis. But there's no one for VA so I'd put my chip in for him considering how well he performs there. He convinced me to sign up here as well as practice D3 more, so perhaps there's bias there.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Keep in mind that winning a Ditto means literally nothing. The only true objective way to know if you're a better player over all with the character is by seeing how you handle your MU spread compared to them and how well/consistent you place in Tournament.
This is very true. I can consistently beat ChrisTheHatman in the ditto, yet he consistently places better than me in tourney. The best way to compare skill is definitely by comparing results in similar tourneys. The ditto is so janky, and while I may have more experience in the ditto than Chris, he is certainly better than me.

Jaythreef

Smash Rookie
I'm the only dedicated Dedede main in Arkansas (that regularly communicates in our Facebook group, at least). Back when I could more regularly attend things, I got as high as 9th on our PR. That was like eight months ago, though, and I am not ranked anymore. I don't know if that is enough for me to be on this list.

ChrisTheHatman

Smash Rookie
NNID
F. Hatman

Ah, yes Winner-Bit Winner-Bit , I remember that fight. Kirby was my 3DS Main at the time.

Last edited:

ChrisTheHatman

Smash Rookie
NNID
F. Hatman

Thank you, Muskrat Catcher Muskrat Catcher ; you're too kind. Indeed, Girthquake Girthquake and I have spoken once briefly over SoCal's FB page regarding some possible Gordo buffs/nerfs.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
My state of Arizona has this really good D3 who goes by Kallor. He does fairly well in our events for the most part and seems to consistently place in at least top 6 for most of them (as far as I can tell), and he uses D3 almost exclusively. He isn't exactly a PR member, but the majority of my scene would probably still consider him at least Top 20 in our region and our biggest low tier hero. While he doesn't deny that D3 is a poor character, he does seem a bit more optimistic than most, as today I heard him say he thinks the penguin has a few +1s against the following: :4ryu::4myfriends::4mario::4peach::4ness::4wario::4charizard:

I can't find his absolute best matches but I have 2 to share here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixVGnyvqcjE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5xEFiGaCYk

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
While he doesn't deny that D3 is a poor character, he does seem a bit more optimistic than most, as today I heard him say he thinks the penguin has a few +1s against the following: :4ryu::4myfriends::4mario::4peach::4ness::4wario::4charizard:
wow +1 vs Ryu and Mario? That is very optimistic but I understand somewhat where he is coming from. Also. . .

Looking at the power rankings directory thread, there are a few power ranked DDD players that we haven't seen on the boards or discord that maybe we should put in here:
Soot: PR #10 in Hawaii - solo DDD main
King: PR #15 in Kansas City - solo DDD main
Nerf: PR #10 in New Hampshire - DDD main, Yoshi secondary
Thrillerman: PR #15 in Tennessee - solo DDD main
Te-Jay: PR #1 in Newfoundland (Canada) - DDD main, Wario secondary
Andy: PR #19 in Mexico, #2 in Guadalajara - DDD main, Mario secondary
Addy: PR #20 in Mexico, #4 in Nuevo Leon - solo DDD main

GodofGrunts

Smash Rookie
NNID
god_ov
I'm the best Dedede in Indiana. Recently been placing mostly top 8 in 40+ man local brackets. Back in a local job so I'm going to travel more and hopefully get on the PR this season.

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
I have faced a Dedede in every tournament I have ever entered, and have never won against a Dedede in tournament. (the one that I did beat swapped to Sheik and wiped the floor with me)
The best is... no way to know. I don't think any of the Dedede players have gotten into the final bracket at KTAR or APEX. So, who's the best Dedede in Tristate? That title is up for grabs. (Also, if I can beat you, you're not the best Dedede in Tristate.)

Last edited:

Fermit

Smash Rookie
NNID
Fermit
I'd argue I'm the best Triple D in my city just by virtue of being the only one, or at least the only one that actually goes to tourneys

;_;

GodofGrunts

Smash Rookie
NNID
god_ov
I'd argue I'm the best Triple D in my city just by virtue of being the only one, or at least the only one that actually goes to tourneys

;_;
Do you live in Texas or Indianapolis?

If Indianapolis, MM me. :)

Fermit

Smash Rookie
NNID
Fermit
^ I live in Texas but a few months ago I visited Indy and went to a couple of tourneys there

Top Bottom