• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's Left?

KayaMarley

Smash Cadet
Hi everyone, first post here. There are plenty of Smash Ultimate DLC discussion threads out there, all cluttered with ideas of who could be the next big DLC character. Here i wanted to stray off the (very) beaten path, just a tad. In this thread we will (of course) discuss who's next, but with a twist.

First things first. Rules:
there are lots of rumors out there over what can and can't be in, as well as many leakers confirming and deconfirming characters/companies, some of which are reliable due to their proven successful past, and others just anonymous users throwing stuff out there. The idea of this thread is to return to our roots and look at what we know for certain, and go from there. We will only operate by knowledge given to us by Nintendo themselves, as well as what they have shown through history. (yes i know Sakurai is prone to make changes, like ridley, but some changes that are being suggested are a long stretch, and as such those will be ruled out.)

1. No Spirit characters. - While it isn't explicitly said that they can't be in, it's highly likely that when a character is chosen to be a spirit, that is the representation that's been chosen for them in smash. this is evident by such things as the playable character spirits that can be bought in the shop/earned by playing said character in classic mode. these spirit types are different from the others, and ultimately have no use, other than standing as a symbol of achievement. While there are certain oddities, like estranged variation of characters that are already in being represented as spirits, they aren't the same instance of the character and therefor are not the same.

2. No Assist Trophy Characters. - At this point it is more or less common knowledge that any character who is an Assist Trophy, will not become a playable character. This is proven by characters like Krystal and Bomber-man, who were originally meant to be playable characters, but got dropped due to the 2nd party not agreeing on the moveset in time, or time constraints. It's safe to assume no character is getting an upgrade, since sakurai would most likely feel that's a lazy move, given how extensively he's worked on the DLC's up to this point, each being represented to it's fullest capacity.

3. No Nintendo Characters. - This rule will be changed later after the 5th character comes out, since we don't know anything about what will follow this first 5 Character DLC pass, but for now, this is just a discussion about the 5th character. It has already been stated by Nintendo that the DLC characters in this fighters pass will all be 3rd party characters, which means no Nintendo rep for this slot.

4. No Echo's or characters that could be considered an echo. - All the characters in the DLC pass have been extremely different from anything else to have ever been in Smash before. Joker with his Persona mechanic and rebellion meter, Hero with a Mana bar and drop down spell list, Banjo with his split of projectile and up close gameplay, golden feathers, as well as superior air game (in the sense that he has 3 jumps and can inter mingle his recovery anywhere in between them without the loss of any jumps), and Terry, with the single most hardest moveset to learn in the game, spanning 5 different specials (a first ever in smash), each with 2 - 4 different levels of strength and speed, as well as the Go meter for intense late game comebacks. It's clear that sakurai wants us to get our money's worth, which is why no direct or indirect echos will be listed here (such as Dark Samus, chrom, isabelle, another link, etc.)

5. post a max of 5 characters. - We don't want people posting every character under the sun. TLDR's clutter threads like these, and for that reason as well, only a brief explanation as to why the character you've stated might have a chance. This isn't a thread of what characters you want, but rather what characters have a possibility of getting in. please state why if you can (no harm if you can't, but just think it's a relative possibility)

That's pretty much it, sorry for the long winded post. I want to try and keep things level headed here (tired of hearing about waluigi and geno when they are already represented, lol).

Edit: This goes without saying, but no meme characters or characters that aren't Videogame characters first (a.ka. no goku or batman).

Last edited:

KayaMarley

Smash Cadet
I will start this thread by posting my own thoughts,

1) Neku Sakuraba from The World Ends With You. Company Square Enix.
- The DLC characters, as stated above, are all very unique, not one like any other character before, and Neku fits this to a T. While he has an extensive list of potential moves for smash that could prove difficult to choose from, he also has a starting default list of attacks that cover just about every main attack type in his game, and thus would be a solve to that issue. TWEWY has a vast library of music as well as many different places around Shibuya that could be picked for a stage, as well as a main place that would be the most likely pick. The Shibuya Scramble Crossing would be the most likely pick, which also is a commonly visited place in Persona 5, which Joker is from. Mementos Exists in the subways of Shibuya, and as such, we could potentially have both, which would be very fitting. While his game is somewhat obscure, Sakurai recently stated that the 5th DLC character is "a mysterious fighter who is not yet well known." This fits Neku very well, as the attacks he uses are called psychs (psychokinesis, telekinesis, etc.). In TWEWY Final Remix, which came out on the Switch about a year ago, they teased a sequel, which means a smash inclusion could be used for cross promotion.

2) Amaterasu from Okami. Company Capcom.
- One of the many companies not yet represented in Smash DLC is Capcom, and while they have many big named franchises, a lot already exist as spirits. keep in mind that whoever gets in as DLC, comes with spirits in the form of their own spirit board with many spirits from their game/series. Okami has no representation in smash. Amaterasu is a deity and is therefor mysterious. Okami while popular, may not be known to everyone, and with one main entry in the series that has been remastered a few times, it's fair to say Amaterasu still fits the bill with Sakurai's latest statement. Okami is also on the Switch

3) Sekiro from Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Company FromSoft.
- Sekiro is the latest of FromSofts big games, and has recently earned Game of The Year, even beating Smash Ultimate. While the current character has been in development and was decided upon long before the said award, it shows that the game has potential to be represented in smash. Sekiro is an immortal shinobi who has a vast amount of attacks and equipment to work with. Sekiro is indeed mysterious, as shinobi often are, and his moveset could be quite unique, what with a flame vent, poison dagger, wind fan, and even a shield busting hatchet. While Sakurai stated that the character is not yet well known, he might have simply thought this, only to find out otherwise at the game awards. This can be backed up by when the creators themselves of Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice accepted the award, they stated how surprised they were, and that they didnt think the game would be received anywhere nearly as well as it was. this statement is also reflected in the lack of DLC in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, when all the other Souls games are packed full of DLC. It was clearly a much better received game than they had all thought. While Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is not yet on the Switch, it's likely that since the announcement of it becoming Game of the Year, that could change. We very likely could get a joint announcement of Sekiro coming to Smash, and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice coming to the Switch.

4) Hunter from Monster Hunter. Company Capcom.
- While I feel as a Capcom rep, Amaterasu has a better chance, it's also very likely that Monster Hunter could be the 5th DLC character in Smash. While He was originally intended to be a playable character in Smash Ultimate, he was dropped due to time restraints, and not knowing what to call him, as Sakurai felt it would be weird to just call him Monster Hunter, or Hunter. This obviously didn't stop them from getting a Dragon Quest rep in the form of Hero, so it's clear that, as is common, Sakurai changed his mind on this issue, meaning Monster Hunter could still get in. and i'm not 100% on this, but isn't Rathalos the only MH representation in Smash? There are plenty of other characters they could use for the DLC Spirit board, though it would still be admittedly weird. This character has the possibility to be added especially since they could have just decided to use him down the road instead, but considering their treatment with Piranha Plant, it's likely they wouldn't have waited so long to put him in. The big reason why I could see this not happen, is due to Sakurai's statement of the 5th DLC character not being well known, and Monster Hunter is a very successful series, making this unlikely. Monster Hunter is also on the Nintendo Switch.

5) Nightmare from Soul Calibur. Company Bandai Namco.
- So the big question is probably why i didn't say Heihachi from Tekken. the reason is that, while Tekken is one of their biggest franchises, Heihachi was a Mii fighter costume in Smash 4, but in Ultimate was reduced to a simple cameo sprite within one of Pac-man's taunts. This makes it seem like he doesnt matter as much and since he technically is already represented in some way, he probably won't get in. also it should be noted that the creator of Tekken has been very vocal against people requesting Tekken characters for smash, even going so far to say that if it continued, he'd personally request that sakurai does not include one. The Reason why I say a Soul Calibur rep is likely, is because it's another fighting game, and even included Link in the GameCube release of Soul Calibur 2, making the close ties already there. Soul Calibur has been getting lots of DLC, many of which were at one point requested by fans for smash bros, such as Geralt from the Witcher series, 2B from Neir, and most recently Hoahmaru from SNK's Samurai Shodown, which is a direct counter pick to Smash Ultimate's choice for SNK's Terry Bogard of the Fatal Furry Series. bringing a Soul Calibur rep to smash would bring things full circle, and could even be revealed in a cross promotion for a Soul Calibur 6 Switch edition, complete with Link being included for that specific version. The reason I say Nightmare instead of the Intended main character of the series Mitsurugi, is because while Mitsurugi was always intended to be the main character, Nightmare has always been much more memorable, and with the constant request of more villains in smash it fits perfectly. he would also likely have an Alternate costume as Siegfried, who was recently retconned to be the same person as Nightmare back in Soul Calibur 4 or 5. t's safe to say that Nightmare, complete with Soul Edge and soul meter, would likely be quite the unique fighter. A heavy, greatsword wielding baddy sounds good to me. and we all know how much Sakurai likes swords, lmao. Nightmare is mysterious, but as for whether he's well known... thats kinda difficult to answer.

This is my list, and im curious what you all think.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I guess it is because Nintendo didn't say anything about ATs and spirits not being part of the Fighters Pass ,but I don't think AT/spirits should be out of the running for the DLC.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
also where did you hear that bomber man was meant to be in it? ive never seen anything to suggest he was considered

KayaMarley

Smash Cadet
I guess it is because Nintendo didn't say anything about ATs and spirits not being part of the Fighters Pass ,but I don't think AT/spirits should be out of the running for the DLC.
Spirits and Assist Trophies aren't going to be DLC characters. Sakurai isn't lazy like that, just look at all of the effort he put into the DLC characters that have been added. and regardless, if you want to talk about assist trophies or spirits becoming characters then this isn't the thread for you. follow the rules i stated above please.

KayaMarley

Smash Cadet
also where did you hear that bomber man was meant to be in it? ive never seen anything to suggest he was considered
Sakurai stated this around the time of the games release. If you google around im sure you can find it. sorry but im far too lazy to go find it again.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Actually they did multiple times. should be easy to find if you google it. Reggie said it as well at one point.
no they didnt, what reggie said was that all the characters would be newcomers but a lot of people misunderstood and thought he meant from series new to smash, he also said theyd be in a similar vain to joker which again isnt the same thing as saying only 3rd parties

Sakurai stated this around the time of the games release. If you google around im sure you can find it. sorry but im far too lazy to go find it again.
no he didnt, theres no sign of him ever saying this no list of characters that were considered has bomberman on it and no sign of any statement from sakurai saying he had

KayaMarley

Smash Cadet
no they didnt, what reggie said was that all the characters would be newcomers but a lot of people misunderstood and thought he meant from series new to smash, he also said theyd be in a similar vain to joker which again isnt the same thing as saying only 3rd parties

no he didnt, theres no sign of him ever saying this no list of characters that were considered has bomberman on it and no sign of any statement from sakurai saying he had
ok well im not gonna sit here and argue with you or try to prove something to some rando on the internet. i know what i heard and saw and thats more than enough for me. either way, if your gonna post in this thread follow the rules i put above please. it's not meant as an arguing point, just a place to theorize with the community in the regards stated above. thanks for understanding.

Top Bottom