• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 Who's Invited? [Speculation]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Primeval Weasil

Smash Rookie
Is it just me, or does no-one seem to care about who's going to be invited to the Invitational Tournament that's being hosted by Nintendo?

Also, am I going crazy, or was it just a coincidence that around the time Nintendo announced this, 'Youtubers' such as Pewdiepie and SmoshGames started to post Smash Bros. related content?

SmoshGames:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaWIVas3zms

Pewdiepie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4e1IXgvT24

I'm looking to get some second opinions on this so...

...Who would YOU like to be invited? (Besides yourself :p)

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Is it just me, or does no-one seem to care about who's going to be invited to the Invitational Tournament that's being hosted by Nintendo?

Also, am I going crazy, or was it just a coincidence that around the time Nintendo announced this, 'Youtubers' such as Pewdiepie and SmoshGames started to post Smash Bros. related content?

SmoshGames:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaWIVas3zms

Pewdiepie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4e1IXgvT24

I'm looking to get some second opinions on this so...

...Who would YOU like to be invited? (Besides yourself :p)
Personally, I don't want either of those people there, but if I had to choose, I would pick SmoshGames. Since I find Pewdiepie nothing but Youtube Poop gutter trash.

I would like to see actual Smash experts for the tournament, like Mew2King.

GraveJoker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GraveJoker
The only guy that I can remember off the top of my head is mew2king. Otherwise I don't really care who they are, I care more for how they use the characters since they must have some time with it before, and if we are going to get a reveal at the end of the tournament.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace

Primeval Weasil

Smash Rookie
Personally, I don't want either of those people there, but if I had to choose, I would pick SmoshGames. Since I find Pewdiepie nothing but Youtube Poop gutter trash.

I would like to see actual Smash experts for the tournament, like Mew2King.
I personally agree 100%, but we all know that Nintendo is going to have to invite some 'famous' people to hype the tournament up, otherwise it would be completely pointless from a profit perspective. They want to draw people in that haven't already been playing the series for 15 years...

(and I mean the internet kind of 'famous', not just the smash community 'famous'.(Though I don't doubt that there will be a lot of familiar smasher faces invited along.))

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I personally agree 100%, but we all know that Nintendo is going to have to invite some 'famous' people to hype the tournament up, otherwise it would be completely pointless from a profit perspective. They want to draw people in that haven't already been playing the series for 15 years...

(and I mean the internet kind of 'famous', not just the smash community 'famous'.(Though I don't doubt that there will be a lot of familiar smasher faces invited along.))
I really don't think Nintendo would invite them. Nintendo knows that, to get people excited for a Tournament you bring the best of the best. Why do some people get excited for a League of Legends Tournament? Because pros play the game and you know that pros make exciting nail biting matches.

Tournament Pros help bring more excitement, detail to mechanics, and shows that the game is able to compete with others when it comes to EVO.

Adding people like Pewdewpie would only repel people from the game, because that would make Nintendo look like sell outs and would put Nintendo in a worse light in the "Gaming Industry Community".

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
Not to offend anyone who likes those channels but I personally would HATE it if they were chosen to play as "professionals." On the other hand, however, having someone like PewDiePie play the game would massively help popularize the game. For example, when he played Flappy Bird, suddenly it became one of the most popular smartphone apps. It literally went from about 100 downloads to several hundred-thousand in a few days after that.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Not to offend anyone who likes those channels but I personally would HATE it if they were chosen to play as "professionals." On the other hand, however, having someone like PewDiePie play the game would massively help popularize the game. For example, when he played Flappy Bird, suddenly it became one of the most popular smartphone apps. It literally went from about 100 downloads to several hundred-thousand in a few days after that.
Exactly. And even if "famous" YouTubers were invited, I seriously doubt they'd comprise more than a few entrants. They're going to want some people who are actually great at Smash.

Think about the online modes: For Fun, For Glory. Sounds to me like Nintendo wants to appeal to both crowds, and I'm fine with that... As long as they ACTUALLY pander to do a sincere job of giving both kinds of players what they want.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Actually, I looked up some information about this just a few minutes ago and if what I am commenting is true, then we will have these guys in the tournament:

• Lilan “milktea” Chen
  • Hugo “HugS” Gonzalez
  • Ken “LiquidKen” Hoang
  • Daniel “LiquidKDJ” Jung
  • Neha “Lilo” Chhetri
  • Hendrick “DJNintendo” Pilar
  • Kris “Toph” Aldenderfer
  • Sam “PeachyHime” McNaughton
  • Juan “Crs. Hungrybox” Debiedma
  • Kevin “PewPewU” Toy
  • Kevin “EG PPMD” Nanney
  • Dakota “TheRapture” Lasky
  • Cristin “Crismas” DesSaro
  • McCain “MacD” LaVelle
  • Masaya “aMSa” Chikamoto
  • Gonzalo “CT ZeRo” Barrios
Source:

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/05/nintendo-announces-super-smash-bros-players/

Here is a video by Nintendo Themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMQySEjyCUw#t=26

Last edited:

Ultima777

Smash Apprentice
His hands have gotten pretty bad, though. I rather he takes care of himself.

I like that they got Amsa in there. Japan will be hype.
Really? I didn't know his hand were in such bad condition. O___O

Shellshock821

Smash Apprentice
List of players looks very good to me. There's a couple people that might of been expected that aren't in it (Mew2King mainly of course), but they did a great job regardless with who they picked. I'm also happy that Nintendo got a couple ladies as well. I will say the thing that has me most hyped in a way is the commentators they chose. Thankfully it means we won't have to listen to cringe inducing dialogue by people that obviously aren't used to talking about the sort of matches we'll probably see.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Since the players have been announced I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread. If you wish to discuss them please use the stickied main invitational thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom