• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who would you say is the most popular Smash 4 character?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I figured I would post this thread here and not in the characters board, since it isn't related to a specific character.

Anyways, from what I am reading here and around the internet, the most popular characters since to be the two Fire Emblem newcomers, Robin and Lucina, with Shulk right behind. Seems like people love them anime characters. I would also say Duck Hunt Duo are (surprisingly) popular. Greninja too, but it was expected to be, as it is a Pokémon character with a kewl design.

On the other hand, Villager and Bowser Jr. don't get enough love. Also, I expected Palutena to be far more popular.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Mario, as everyone in the world knows him :4mario:

Maybe :4pikachu:as a close second.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
:4littlemac:
Mario, as everyone in the world knows him :4mario:

Maybe :4pikachu:as a close second.
In overall fame and popularity, yes that's true absolutely true. In Smash 4 they're probably not most people's first choices, though.

Also, Villager and Bowser Jr. are two of my favorite newcomers along with :4robinf: 0_0

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Robin, Lucina and Little Mac (there is one of these in almost every game) are everywhere. I actually don't see Greninja as much as I thought I would, and I'd be willing to bet that Palutena's skill-cap keeps most people away from her, I rarely see her aside from myself using her. If it weren't for her strange zoning play-style, she'd be everywhere too I think. I barely see Villager as well, which I found strange.

I'm sad that there are so many Ness users, it's making me want to use other characters instead.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I'm sad that there are so many Ness users, it's making me want to use other characters instead.
Haha I know that feeling. I want to use Shulk, because he is really cute, but everyone and their mothers use him. lol I just can't bring myself to play him

On the bright side, all of the other characters I like playing are sort of underused

FireOfExile

Smash Cadet
NNID
fireofexile
3DS FC
2363-5961-4897
Wii Fit Trainer. Not in terms of gameplay, but everywhere Smash is mentioned someone will discuss stretching legs.

In game I think I'd have to say Little Mac. It seems like a lot of people have been using him against me.

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
Little Mac in the casual environment for sure. In tournaments or just general get-togethers by high-level players, I've seen a lot of Robin, Diddy, Bowser Jr. and... ROB! The meta still hasn't quite adjusted yet, and that's just how I like it.

Last edited:

Ignoth

Smash Cadet
I'm a Robin Main, so I mean this in the nicest, most non-judgmental way possible. I feel like Robin in particular is super popular because he/she is an embodiment of the ultimate geek fantasy.

(Spoilerish Warning)Let's see, Robin:

• Uses a Sword (People love swords :D)
  • Is a powerful magician
  • Is a tactical genius
  • Wears a cool looking dark long-coat with a hood
  • Descended from an evil parent
  • Has this whole dark destiny thing with an evil God (Grima).
  • Enough personality to have an identity, but enough of a blank slate for the audience to be creative with
  • Flexible romance options
  • Can be Male OR Female, whichever you prefer
  • Is from a series that sorta popular, but not enough to be considered "mainstream".
They also gave Robin a unique playstyle that sounds complicated but is actually quite intuitive and easy to pick up. The guy is just PERFECT. No wonder he/she is super popular in the headcanons thread.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
In high level play, I'm gonna say Sheik and Diddy Kong seem really popular.

Casual play? Little Mac for sure, maybe ZSS too. They seem pretty common.

In terms of outside of Smash, it's these guys, without question (in no particular order):

:4mario::4dk::4luigi::4link::4yoshi::4peach::4bowser::4bowserjr::rosalina::4tlink::4kirby::4pikachu::4charizard::4villager::4wario::4sonic::4pacman::4megaman:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Little Mac online without a doubt. The amount of people who pull him out after losing a game is unreal.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
On For Glory, definitely Sheik and Little Mac from my experience. In actual High Level Play, a lotta people seem to love Diddy Kong and ZSS too.

TerraRizerKing

Smash Cadet
Gonna have to go with Lil Mac, Ike, Robin, and Shulk. Iv'e seen these guys all over the place. Have one is just about every game I play online.

SilverOne777

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilverSlaughter
can't say what the most popular is, but I absolutely love robin, he's not just a cool player...but he changed the repetitiveness of the fire emblem characters....(new cool sword guy) thing. He uses swords, and tomes which are a very important aspect of fire emblem never brought into smash bros.

BubbaDuke

Smash Apprentice
I run into Link, Lucina, and Little Mac probably the most online.

Baby Bowser, Yoshi, and Mario also seem to be pretty popular.

I'm surprised with how few Shieks I see

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
In competitive terms? Shiek and Diddy no question.

In terms of notoriety, Mario and Pikachu!

Last edited:
Top Bottom