• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Who will you main: 2DS, 3DS or 3DS XL?

Which system will you main for Smash Bros.?

• I'm old school. Original 3DS for me.

Votes: 157 33.7%
  • The 3DS XL is totally XL-ent. I pick that one.

Votes: 234 50.2%
  • I don't need that many D's. 2DS is where it's at.

Votes: 41 8.8%
  • I'm thinking I might upgrade, but I just can't decide!

Votes: 34 7.3%

• Total voters

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I did a quick search for this topic since I didn't see it on the front page, and the first one I found hadn't been posted in since October of 2013. Rather than necrobumping that one, I figured I'd make a new poll.

What are you planning on playing Smash (4) 3DS with when it comes out?

Personally, after playing on a 3DS XL for the Best Buy demo, I finally felt the need to upgrade from my ambassador model. My XL should be here by the end of the week. And I'm stoked.

So, guys. Which system will you main?

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
I'll just play with my standard 3DS. I don't really want to buy myself a XL now when I'm saving for an WiiU. And the standard is enough for me IMO.

Last edited:

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
japanes Original 3ds : japanes smash in september
us 3ds XL : October 3
Wii u : HOLIDAY

:D

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Normal 3DS, still not broken :)

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
Well I only have a XL (the Animal Crossing design in fact!) so I guess that's my only choice, haha.

Khao

Smash Lord
I only have the old 3DS. I'd prefer an XL, but I don't really feel like upgrading, just seems like a waste of money when the one I have works just fine.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I only have the old 3DS. I'd prefer an XL, but I don't really feel like upgrading, just seems like a waste of money when the one I have works just fine.
That was my line of thinking, too. Nothing wrong with it. I just had a chance to upgrade for cheap and took it.

I got this Walmart bundle that came with the Mario & Luigi design 3DS XL, 4GB SD card, "M&L: Dream Team" pre-installed game, a carrying case to replace my old one and a $40 gift card, all for $200. Which I paid for with my Bill Me Later credit, meaning I don't have to pay it off for six months.

If you're interested in upgrading, keep looking for online bundles and trade-in offers. Sometimes companies will have absurdly good deals available, and you can even sell your old 3DS yourself to make back a lot of the money you spent.

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
The regular one was too small and kinda cramped my hands up. So I picked up the Yoshi XL, it also feels sturdier as well.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
Since the 3DS XL is larger and I see all the Smash 4 videos are on XL, that's my pick.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I had a 3DS OG last year, but I sold it for stupid reasons. I am buying a XL now, since most people recommend it and I intend to play Smash with it.

Laserbeamed

Smash Cadet
Sadly I only have a 2DS... I have concerns about being able to play smoothly. We'll see. :/

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
I'm considering either getting a 2DS or 3DSXL, having my original 3DS from streaming Smash and having the "new" one for general play. Leaning towards an XL.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
XL because I like big screens and I cannot lie

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My original 3DS that I bought way back when the system was first released.

SupermanNKO

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4570-8405-1628
playing it on the 2ds, strictly because of how comfortable it feels in my hands, and how the buttons are higher up onto the top screen and closer to the bumpers, i think for playing wise it will be a lot more comfortable... if they have a smash bundle i might upgrade if not ill use the 2ds till i feel the need to get the xl

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
3DS XL, luckily my brother bought me one for my birthday :D
That was my line of thinking, too. Nothing wrong with it. I just had a chance to upgrade for cheap and took it.

I got this Walmart bundle that came with the Mario & Luigi design 3DS XL, 4GB SD card, "M&L: Dream Team" pre-installed game, a carrying case to replace my old one and a $40 gift card, all for $200. Which I paid for with my Bill Me Later credit, meaning I don't have to pay it off for six months.

If you're interested in upgrading, keep looking for online bundles and trade-in offers. Sometimes companies will have absurdly good deals available, and you can even sell your old 3DS yourself to make back a lot of the money you spent.
Holy **** that's amazing!!!!!!

Last edited:

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather not spend money on a new system when my old one works fine, so I'll just be playing on a standard 3DS.

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
I'm using 3DS XL, I have a capture card on it so I can livestream it! If I'm not livestreaming though, I'm going to be use a 3DS

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
... having my original 3DS from streaming Smash and having the "new" one for general play. Leaning towards an XL.
I'm using 3DS XL, I have a capture card on it so I can livestream it! If I'm not livestreaming though, I'm going to be use a 3DS
My brain went for a loop for just a second. xD

I guess Backgammon is leaning towards the XL for larger screen and Neku is going to use a normal 3DS for crisper graphics.

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
My brain went for a loop for just a second. xD

I guess Backgammon is leaning towards the XL for larger screen and Neku is going to use a normal 3DS for crisper graphics.
I'm using XL for larger screen + streaming. I use the normal 3ds because I don't want to be carrying around a capture card. Like serioush, dat stuff is expensive. I am interested to see if Smash 4 on the XL looks a bit pixelated OR Smash 4 on the regular 3DS.

Kiondrick

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1650-3088-1736
I'll be playing on my standard 3DS. Like I said in another thread, money is really tight for me, I just can't afford anything as of now. It's a shame to, because I would definitely upgrade to an XL if I had the funds for it. (Also buy a Wii U...*grumble grumble*)

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
I'm using XL for larger screen + streaming. I use the normal 3ds because I don't want to be carrying around a capture card. Like serioush, dat stuff is expensive. I am interested to see if Smash 4 on the XL looks a bit pixelated OR Smash 4 on the regular 3DS.
Understandable. Since they always should Smash 3DS on an XL I assume it looks pretty good. I remember hear on online reviews that some games look more pixelated than others, so I guess the game can ease that slight distortion. But I know the 3DS is more crisp generally. It's a strange trade-off to say do you want better quality or a larger screen?

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
I bought a limited edition red Xerneas/Yveltal 3DS XL last september for Pokémon Y, so I'll sure as hell be using that system! The plus side is I'm giving my old 3DS to my brother so he can Smash too ^_^

TheAppleFreak

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheAppleFreak
Understandable. Since they always should Smash 3DS on an XL I assume it looks pretty good. I remember hear on online reviews that some games look more pixelated than others, so I guess the game can ease that slight distortion. But I know the 3DS is more crisp generally. It's a strange trade-off to say do you want better quality or a larger screen?
Looking at it technically, it's just a matter of how small each pixel is. Both versions of the 3DS have the same amount of pixels per screen (800x240 for the top screen, I think), but since the XL has a larger screen, each individual pixel is larger, which has the end effect of creating more noticeable aliasing ("jaggies"). Even though there's no substantial difference in the rendering process on a standard 3DS, the fact that the pixel density on the original model is higher reduces the visibility of the aliasing.

That being said, the 3DS demos at Nintendo World all ran on XLs, and it looked great on them. Since I haven't seen it running on a standard 3DS, I can't make a comparison between the two, but I have a feeling that the larger screen will be a lot more useful in Smash.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I bought a 2ds the same day as pokemon and it hasn't failed me since.Although the 2ds needs a ccp or I get no c-stick...

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Transferred my ambassador status to my XL, and it is my weapon of choice. I love the size.
How do you transfer that, anyway? Can I just put it all on an SD card and switch? I'm getting my XL on Friday and I don't want to lose anything in the transfer.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
How do you transfer that, anyway? Can I just put it all on an SD card and switch? I'm getting my XL on Friday and I don't want to lose anything in the transfer.
You have to have both 3DS's at the same time, and there's a system transfer option. It'll completely wipe the one you are transferring to, put your old data on that, then completely wipe the original. I think it was a free app from the eshop or something, it has been a while since I did it; you'd have to google it.

Defile

Smash Apprentice
I still have an old 3DS, I guess I'll sell it and buy an XL - the bigger screen seems like an obvious advantage for gameplay.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I did a quick search for this topic since I didn't see it on the front page, and the first one I found hadn't been posted in since October of 2013. Rather than necrobumping that one, I figured I'd make a new poll.

What are you planning on playing Smash (4) 3DS with when it comes out?

Personally, after playing on a 3DS XL for the Best Buy demo, I finally felt the need to upgrade from my ambassador model. My XL should be here by the end of the week. And I'm stoked.

So, guys. Which system will you main?
Just saying- you have to do a system transfer if you want to transfer over that ambassador status.

Top Bottom