• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

who will hold the title of best swordsman on brawl?

ODIN787

Smash Journeyman
Hey there Folks Im posting this cause i really would like to hear the opinion of everyone who is interested ,This post is to talk about one thing thats been boosted on brawl swordsmen
There is of course link, theres ike ,marth ,metaknight,toon link,and last but not least pit,now on melee im not going to take preference cause is obvious that Marth was the better swordsman but hey don't take my word for it look at the way he is played compared to the rest of the swordsmen on melee ,even if roy was a clone the original was more balance ,and the best rival for my opinion was link he had all the right moves the only thing that he had that punished him was his lag ,so i can safely say as an smasher ,and sword lover that marth has the crown on melee. But what about brawl? as most of you know Link has been improved to perfection from what i have seen , and there is no telling that marth has been too but there are more new comers that could rival or best both of them namely metaknight and pit for their long combos and speed possibilities ,im not going to rule out ike cause he is pretty balanced and on my point of view he does not look slow ,i aint going to say nothing about toon link cause i have to play him to see if hes anything like his melee counterpart ,so what do you think? will Link be able to take the crown or will marth become the undisputed champ or will one of the newcomers surprise everyone and take the Title for himself . any opinion will be respected so don't be shy

B J

Smash Cadet
I'm not certain about anything right now, but with great recovery and a long ranged spammable attack, pit sounds good

Aeramis

Smash Ace
Well, for just swordsmanship alone I would say Marth but Link is more then just a swordsman. ^^

draigaran

Smash Apprentice
Marth is the main swordsman. Link is more of a projectile kind of person, and pit... well, he's definitely in a different class than Marth in terms of swordsmanship.

ODIN787

Smash Journeyman
Marth is the main swordsman. Link is more of a projectile kind of person, and pit... well, he's definitely in a different class than Marth in terms of swordsmanship.
ok,point taken but they are all still swordsmen even if they do have projectiles. and what do you mean pit is in a different class?oh and thanks for taking your time to read my post

draigaran

Smash Apprentice
I'm not quite sure how to describe it really. Technically, Pit does have swords, but since they have short range, they're more like daggers, if you will. I consider Marth the swordsman because he attacks only with his sword, ergo the emphasis.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
In terms of JUST swordplay, Marth.

But as far as actual battle goes, Link. His adaptability is second to none and he can outstrip all others with childlike ease.

ODIN787

Smash Journeyman
I'm not quite sure how to describe it really. Technically, Pit does have swords, but since they have short range, they're more like daggers, if you will. I consider Marth the swordsman because he attacks only with his sword, ergo the emphasis.
man im liking this chat !!,you are maybe right about pit but i will like to consider him a swordsman ,like i said before but let me give you an example : do you like knights, roman soldiers and samurais ? well the same problem fits in them too ,if you go into their history they are experts on all sorts of weapons ,bows and arrows ,lances,ect. but their main weapon is a sword cause you are going to run out of arrows sooner or later and is their weapon by default ,so basically they are still swordsmen with knowledge of other weapons,same thing with link,in his game he is basically the perfect warrior ,expert on everything by some wierd reason,and if you want to compare pit's weapon compare it to a romans gladius ,only that it doubles as an bow ,so yeah they are all swordsmen but on different styles:) . nice talking to you ,if you want to add something else go ahead and anybody else too .

Obligatoryfinalboss

Smash Apprentice
On that one street, on the hill, next to the tree
I agree with the theory of Link's balance, and I was hoping that the projectiles could add to his swordsmanship; however I believe this only works if the Gale Boomerang pulls people and items too... does anyone know? Other than that, all I can say is: look at the Twilight Princess flourish taunt. Doesn't that say it all?

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
I think in the long run, Pit and Marth will hold higher tier positions. Pit players will inevitably learn how to KO better as they are still spamming Forward Smash too often, drastically reducing the knockback of their best KO move. They will abuse their recovery to no end, stalling and causing all sorts of hell with those controllable arrows.

Marth players will abuse the tipper and ridiculous range Marth has, much like in Melee.

After that, I think that Link and Ike will be duking it out for superiority, as Link balanced approach to combat might still have problems with Ike's extreme approach.

Metaknight, I can not make a viable opinion on, as I have not seen him used well in combat.

Same goes with Toon Link.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
I hav yet to see how link delivers again everyone..... but from what i have seen... and from qhat i have seen in direct encounters between pit vs marth.... well, i think pit is the more versatile from the bunch.

He has the characteristics of all swordmen minus strentgh.

He has spammable proyectiles. Yeah link and y link has those but pits arrow is REALLY annoying to the point that he even puts sheik in an offensive position.....

He doenst have much range but his little swipes come out very fast, sometimes nullifying the enemies attack before coming out.
He doenst has marth or link range but still his combo and damage potential covers that department.

And his recovery is possibly the best in the game.

In a direct encounter between all the swordmen.... wel i think pit have a slight advantage,.

HiIH

Smash Lord
Meh, even though Link is being buffed, there is a total lack of Marth ner***e. Last I heard, he even got a small boost.

The only thing that might hurt Marth is that with a lack of wavedash, Marth's will have a harder time spacing a tipper. MAYBE.

tGwarr10r

Smash Apprentice
i think link has a shot at bein the best swordsman in brawl, hes gotten better since melee and now that hes a little faster he can actually stand a chance against the quick boys like fox etc, w/ all his improvements he better be the best in brawl ( in reality tho itll prob b marth cuz hes a fast f***)

Lootic

Smash Apprentice
I think Links the best of them in battle but cause of his sword but cause of his projectiles which will keep enemys at distance and his anti-projectile-sheild-of-do-nothing.
Second place goes to... Pit cause of his awesome arrows and ridicolous recovery.
Third is... toon link he is just awesome cause of his shuffling in the vids Ive seen he is able to do a SH double Fair without barely none lag and projectiles.

From what ive understood marth cant chaingrab any more wich is a big nerf, Meta Knight doesnt have a good move to KO with and Ike is just a bit to slow. And all of these three can be kept at distance with good Projectile spamming.

And yes im a coward who dont want melee fights.

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf. He doesn't even need to use it to kill you. Then as you're dying he'll pull it out in a taunt.

00Sn8k

Smash Cadet
I'm a link player but sadly, I'd have to say Pit's the best as far as I've seen.
Him and his friggin' fast swords play and ridiculous arrows. Bleh

PityLord

Smash Apprentice
Well if it goes for swordmen i think that in THIS game it will be quite even out. Marth is still good but i think that other characters have cone closer to him. He has shorter sword now and a bit shorter grab range. His recovery is also lacking since his >B cant make him go further anymore.

Link and Pit have some good qualities here since of all the projectiles and Pits good recovery. Although i wouldnt underestimate neither Ike or Meta Knight. Ike wisely using his SAF will be hard to knock out and will land his many killer attacks. As of Meta i see him as a counter to bothe Pit and Link, the reason being behind his Mach Tornado neutral B. It has projectile neutralizing capabilities, travels really fast and doubles as a recovery move. Besides most metas sword hits come extremely fast and many of them have multihits keeping the foe off balance and rarely leave an opening.

Although it may sound weird i think Toon Link has the best shot here as the best swordman. Yes Link was improved from melee, but Toon Link, a spiritual succesor to Young Link, has been much more improved. He is very fast both in move speed and attack speed, has projectiles (duh) and nice KO potential in some of his moves especially his stab Dair.

ODIN787

Smash Journeyman
Well if it goes for swordmen i think that in THIS game it will be quite even out. Marth is still good but i think that other characters have cone closer to him. He has shorter sword now and a bit shorter grab range. His recovery is also lacking since his >B cant make him go further anymore.

Link and Pit have some good qualities here since of all the projectiles and Pits good recovery. Although i wouldnt underestimate neither Ike or Meta Knight. Ike wisely using his SAF will be hard to knock out and will land his many killer attacks. As of Meta i see him as a counter to bothe Pit and Link, the reason being behind his Mach Tornado neutral B. It has projectile neutralizing capabilities, travels really fast and doubles as a recovery move. Besides most metas sword hits come extremely fast and many of them have multihits keeping the foe off balance and rarely leave an opening.

Although it may sound weird i think Toon Link has the best shot here as the best swordman. Yes Link was improved from melee, but Toon Link, a spiritual succesor to Young Link, has been much more improved. He is very fast both in move speed and attack speed, has projectiles (duh) and nice KO potential in some of his moves especially his stab Dair.
thats interesting theory , im not going to say who for now until i play the game but im hoping for eihgter link marth or ike those are my faves thus far

poorboy93

Smash Cadet
Ike seems one of the more popular swordsman of this forum with the number of threads in his Ikes forum.
It seems there pretty deteremed to make him high tier to discover every technique so I wont be suprised if marth passes the torch to him

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
^agree with Pitylord^

I think Toon Link may be the best out of them all, but it all depends on the person playing, such as what they're best with, who they've played with the most, etc. In the right hands, any character can be dominant.

I will admit though... Ike's moves sure are eye candy.

Lunar6

Smash Journeyman
As for Toon Link, if his projectiles are better than I anticipate them to be (frankly, they look terrible, his boomerang looks like it flies at half the speed of Link's Gale Boomerang, as does the flying speed of his arrows. That, and he seems REALLY floaty in spite of his speedy dair and good-looking air game), then I won't be disgruntled for what I view as a tacky choice of character.

LinkNSnake4Main

Smash Journeyman
Link is more of a power swords man.
Marth is more finesse based.

In a level 9 vs. level 9 battle, link will win.

ZzvSpecial22

Smash Rookie
In terms of JUST swordplay, Marth.

But as far as actual battle goes, Link. His adaptability is second to none and he can outstrip all others with childlike ease.
completely true. Marth has the speed and whatnot, but Link's overall playability is better.

I vote Link.

As for Toon Link, apparently he is supposed to be more balanced than Link(?)

Grimwolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grimwolff
In terms of who is better in brawl?
from what I've seen, Marth seems the best out of the bunch in brawl.

Aleol

Smash Journeyman
Marth, meta, and pit may be the best swordsmen, in fact probably will, but Link will be the better warrior

Top Bottom