• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who uses Mario's Up-B OOS?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I feel like I'm the only guy who does this. This technique seems sooooo overlooked.

Mario's Up-B has many nice properties. It comes out real fast, has invincibility frames, and super super good priority, enough to have more range than Mario's grab, hence why I like using it out of shield. It has significantly more knockback than it did in Melee, allowing it to kill at super high percents (very unlikely). The landing lag on it is also quite low, really.

Beyond that, because of the amazing priority, you'll win most aerial matchups with this. If you see someone starting up a telegraphed aerial, this is a good way to beat it out and get in a free hit. It's also possible to legitimately combo into an Up-B from a D-throw at really really low percents if your opponent doesn't DI, just btw.

EDIT: Use this **** against the Mach Tornado. It's too good.

Also, U-smash out of shield is too good. Undiminished kills R.O.B. at like 120% which is awesome.

The Trump Card

Smash Cadet
I sometimes use it as a finisher on lighter opponents but you're left wide open after using it unless you're close to a ledge.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Same goes for Marth and his Up-B OOS, but nobody denies it's extremely useful. Yeah, it's not QUITE to the same degree for Mario, but my point rests that I think people should Up-B out of shield.

If you whiff a grab, you probably get punished. If you whiff the Up-B, yeah whatever. All in all I think the good priority and speed of the Up-B ( think it comes out FASTER than a grab btw) are a reason to use this over grabbing every so often. If you have platforms or are near a ledge, then this technique, of course, is indeed even harder to punish.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
It's Mario's Dolphin Slash.

A tad weaker, maybe, but you could abuse it like noone's business without getting punished so much.

IceAge

Smash Cadet
While recovering, if people attempt to edgegaurd me and I'm close to the stage, I'll use it to get them away. Never tried out of a shield though.

Judofyr

Smash Rookie
I can't live without it; probably using it way to much. I think the best way to use it is when someone's edge guarding you. In stead of grabbing the ledge at once, I'll fall down a bit and then press Up-B. It takes a few dmg and leaves me hanging on the ledge :D

Oh, and it's also great to hit an enemy on a stage far above. Double jump + Up-B = landing on the stage almost instantly.

vCannino93

Smash Apprentice
Well the fact that it puts you in the air and it is highly punishable if missed is the downfall of it, which makes battlefield all the more better for mario (land on platforms)

Opeth89

Smash Rookie
This is a great idea, that I hadn't thought of. The only thing is, I wouldn't advise using it when your opponent is at low percentages because they may be able to recover and punish you with something with a little more oomph.

Word, I actually found it useful for me. Whenever characters that spam their AAA move and spam it forever, and when i'm stuck, i use upb to break out of it xD
never tried that think ill give a shot. yo AZZOMG i wouldnt advise you to use this move against someone setting themselves up for an aerial becus they can easily sh in tha air and right when they expect you to use up b they can air dodge and if you miss wit up b you can expect to get punished badly. id say its nice for a surprise attack every now and then but i wouldnt bet on it cause you leave yourself wide open. personally i prefer up smash or up tilt, but thats just my opinion. what do you think?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Well, the thing is you can let someone hit your shield, and then Up-B immediately out of it. That's why I like this attack a lot, because you can do it directly from shielding.

Ever_Power

Smash Cadet
Up B OOS = Very usefull, I dont care what everyone says. Most players don't expect it. It's very fast. Out of all the tournaments I go to, I've maybe been punished twice for doing it.

And it kills at those good percents ^_^

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
**** I found another absolutely awesome use for Mario's Up-B out of shield.

It can beat the Mach Tornado (more easily than Mario's D-air). Or you can shield through the entire attack, and if MK doesn't space right, you can punish him with this instantly.

Top Bottom