• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who successfully mains Marth in multiple games?

JANKX

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4871-3927-9545
So Project M 3.6 Beta just dropped, and after going back to that game after a month long break, I saw how ****ty my Marth became in PM/Melee. Sure, I was able to readjust to the changes once I got into the swing of things, but for a precision-based character like Marth, I can imagine it being a nightmare to be consistent with him in multiple games.

Although ZSS is actually my PM main, I love Marth as a character in any game, and I especially like using him against 20XX. But in Smash 4, I almost use Marth exclusively because I love his read-based playstyle, his great capacity for mixups, and also because I think a lot of Smash 4 characters are wack (I hate the top tiers, although I really dig Palutena, Mega Man, Greninja, and Roy's mah boy). I can't see myself dropping Marth in Smash 4, but I worry about the difficulty in maintaining him for other games.

Despite the frustration, I see some potential in developing a synergy between both sides of the spectrum. When I did play PM recently, I got punished for using Dancing Sword too often. However, I saw a glimpse of the move's potential, so I plan to experiment with it more in PM/Melee when I get the chance. Additionally, I had a lot more success using nair in PM than I ever did before, so I thought that was pretty cool. It's hard to say what Melee-isms will translate into my Smash 4 play, but if anything I would say that if I could translate his dash-dance game into something mechanically functional for the new game I could improve my play.

Any thoughts on this? I'd love to hear your experiences with the matter, and any tips are appreciated.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
I treat him as a completely different character honestly. I'm PM I use a different color to further mix things up.

Honestly the games are so different from each other that you really shouldn't try to mix the two.

If I were you I'd practice switching through the different games rapidly. Thirty minutes of 4, then 30 of PM. Just using Marth. Don't get comfortable with either style, you want your brain to adapt. Keep switching games until you can beat your best rival in one game one mach, then switch to the other and still win.

Treat him as separate characters.

Oh yeah, cool Marth avatar.

Last edited:

Langston777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
langston777
i think it's a bad idea

trying to play a PM and smash4 tourney in the same venue was the dumbest thing i ever did, it messes with your muscle memory so much

JANKX

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4871-3927-9545
Yeah I'll try alternating between the two and see if that works out. I know it's not a very good idea to use the same character in multiple games, I was just wondering how many people are crazy enough to do it. I still have issues transitioning between the two games. For instance, I still have a strong reflex for JC grab in Smash 4, which makes me full hop airdodge (not very punishable, causes an unintended mixup, but causes me to miss an actual grab I was fishing for). What's even worst is in PM I kept trying to quick smash by pressing A+B simultaneously. I might have to just use a different controller altogether for Smash 4, perhaps opting for the nunchuk since I use the c-stick very little in the new game.

Admiral_Dante

Smash Apprentice
It's definitely doable. I've been playing melee for 10+ years, so it's practically engraved in my soul. I just need a good 20 minutes or so to warm up. If you haven't been playing it for a long time then it will definitely take you longer, but... that's your fault for not practicing imo. The only game i don't stay crispy with Marth in is Brawl (and i still beat my friends with him cuz marth is extra dumb in brawl). I play melee marth and sm4sh marth all the time just fine.

Top Bottom