• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who should I Main?

Who should I Main?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kingdark519

Smash Apprentice
I’ve been having a lot of troubles picking a main, so, I picked my favorites! And I want you guys to help me decide!

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
If you like playing fundamentally:
Marth, Mario, Luigi

If you like to play keep-away:
Ness, Lucas, Villager, Young/Toon Link

If you want to specialize in good offense:
Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Falco

Otherwise, just pick up Dedede and discover how wrong you’ve been playing the series your entire life.

kingdark519

Smash Apprentice
Marth, Mario, Luigi

Otherwise, just pick up Dedede and discover how wrong you’ve been playing the series your entire life.
Lol, I can’t stand Dedede XD

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Lol, I can’t stand Dedede XD
Failed to convert yet another one. Oh well.

If I were to give my honest opinion, I’d go with Lucina over Marth. Marth’s great at spacing with the tipper business, but that’s only if you’re good at it too. That’s why Lucina’s such a fundamentally great beginner’s character, since you won’t have to worry about sourspots hindering your gameplay 71% of the time.

kingdark519

Smash Apprentice
Failed to convert yet another one. Oh well.

If I were to give my honest opinion, I’d go with Lucina over Marth. Marth’s great at spacing with the tipper business, but that’s only if you’re good at it too. That’s why Lucina’s such a fundamentally great beginner’s character, since you won’t have to worry about sourspots hindering your gameplay 71% of the time.
Ok, thanks, I’ll take that into consideration.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
What? You mean b-b-Breadsticks?! Would you like some?
No. It's okay, it's only a game. Calling my boi "boring" does actually hurt...

In all seriousness, if you said you used to main Yoshi but doesn't anymore, than none of the fighters you listed are anywhere remotely like him. If you had said Wario or Zero Suit Samus, then maybe...

kingdark519

Smash Apprentice
No. It's okay, it's only a game. Calling my boi "boring" does actually hurt...

In all seriousness, if you said you used to main Yoshi but doesn't anymore, than none of the fighters you listed are anywhere remotely like him. If you had said Wario or Zero Suit Samus, then maybe...
D: I’m sorry I hurt your feelings, please accept my apology in the form of these delicious breadsticks!

BTHK_Nydus

Smash Rookie
I agree with Lucina over Marth, but I think saying she's a "fundamentally great beginner’s character" is over simplifying it and not really true. She's just a much more consistent character overall, because for Marth his strings are heavily dependent on hitting sour spots or tippers and at certain percents. While yes, you might be able to say that makes him more "advanced" I would argue that it just makes him worse, because even if you're a 2000 IQ player with lightning fast reflexes there are still going to be times where your opponent's options combined with input lag will make the correct spacing decision un-reactable and basically making it a guess. The just better situation to be in is playing Lucina where your strings are going to require more consistent spacing. However, if you're outclassed you can consider the switch to Marth (or Chrom) where you're going to be less concerned with getting good combo strings and benefitting more from a lucky tipper kill at low percent.

kingdark519

Smash Apprentice
I agree with Lucina over Marth, but I think saying she's a "fundamentally great beginner’s character" is over simplifying it and not really true. She's just a much more consistent character overall, because for Marth his strings are heavily dependent on hitting sour spots or tippers and at certain percents. While yes, you might be able to say that makes him more "advanced" I would argue that it just makes him worse, because even if you're a 2000 IQ player with lightning fast reflexes there are still going to be times where your opponent's options combined with input lag will make the correct spacing decision un-reactable and basically making it a guess. The just better situation to be in is playing Lucina where your strings are going to require more consistent spacing. However, if you're outclassed you can consider the switch to Marth (or Chrom) where you're going to be less concerned with getting good combo strings and benefitting more from a lucky tipper kill at low percent.
Thank you for your input... but i honestly don’t care for Lucina at all, her design is stupid, just being a Marth clone, both in smash, and in her game, makes me not agree with her inclusion, and i would hope she would be absent from Smash 6, but that’s just my opinion XD

BTHK_Nydus

Smash Rookie
No worries, just figured I'd put that reminder out there. Picking a character to play because you like them is always a good option!

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Marth, Mario, Luigi

Don’t main Ness if you like to play keepaway. The only way to play him successfully is to play him as an aggressive rushdown character with mixups. He is not a zoner or a defensive character in anyway

That said Ness is a great choice in this game. He’s a legit viable character with a unique moveset, a plethora of kill moves, movement options, combos, kill confirms, and freestyle combos and he’s super fun to play

Last edited:

kingdark519

Smash Apprentice
T
Don’t main Ness if you like to play keepaway. The only way to play him successfully is to play him as an aggressive rushdown character with mixups. He is not a zoner or a defensive character in anyway

That said Ness is a great choice in this game. He’s a legit viable character with a unique moveset, a plethora of kill moves, movement options, combos, kill confirms, and freestyle combos and he’s super fun to play
thanks, I’ll keep that in mind, also, yes, he is super fun to play!

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
T

thanks, I’ll keep that in mind, also, yes, he is super fun to play!
Yeah he can play defense but it’s not what he wants to be doing. He can’t zone compared to the actual zoning characters (he can take some of their options away with psi magnet though). His main goal is using his high priority disjointed aerials to get in and get your opponent off the stage and then start juggling them with PK Thunder. His grab game is also amazing with a combo throw and a kill throw. PSI Magnet is also really interesting this game because you can use it as a movement option, momentum stopper, combo extender, and even as a psuedo-shine for get off me spacing

I recommend him he’s just different than most characters and takes a while to get used to at a high level but once you’ve got him down you feel like you can do whatever you want with him. I would definitely give him a try. If you decide to pick him up Jtails has a good guide on YouTube and the Ness forum has a lot of info

kingdark519

Smash Apprentice
Yeah he can play defense but it’s not what he wants to be doing. He can’t zone compared to the actual zoning characters (he can take some of their options away with psi magnet though). His main goal is using his high priority disjointed aerials to get in and get your opponent off the stage and then start juggling them with PK Thunder. His grab game is also amazing with a combo throw and a kill throw. PSI Magnet is also really interesting this game because you can use it as a movement option, momentum stopper, combo extender, and even as a psuedo-shine for get off me spacing

I recommend him he’s just different than most characters and takes a while to get used to at a high level but once you’ve got him down you feel like you can do whatever you want with him. I would definitely give him a try. If you decide to pick him up Jtails has a good guide on YouTube and the Ness forum has a lot of info
Thank you, I’ll look into that!

D

Deleted member

I say main Lucas but only because of personal bias.

Cracke

Smash Journeyman
If you want to learn basic Smash fundamentals I'd say Mario/Luigi and a pocket sword character.

Nutty Sponge

Smash Apprentice
Marth, Mario, Luigi

Lmao is that JoJo?!

Top Bottom