• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is your main and why did you choose them?

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
I main :kirby64: 'cause his up-tilt is a divine multitasker, combos many-a character for days, copies anyone's neutral special so he sometimes has a decent projectile, and I just love the color pink.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
I use all 12 because playing multiple characters is the only way to have fun.

Yoshi-Fan GM

Smash Cadet
I like to play as :dk64: because he's the heaviest, somewhat hard to KO both horizontally and vertically, and his combos are fun to perform in Dream Land.

I main :jigglypuff64: too due to her good air speed (like Yoshi) and rest combos. She's my best character against Pika and most of the cast.

I sometimes play as :yoshi64: just for fun; he used to be my very best character until I started choosing DK and Puff. I can still do well with him though.

Last edited:

caneut

Smash Ace
I like to play as DK :dk64: because he's the heaviest, somewhat hard to KO both horizontally and vertically. His combos are also fun to perform specially on DL.

I main Jiggs :jigglypuff64: too due to her fast air speed (like Yoshi) and combos. She's my best character against Pika and most of the cast.
Why do you have that name then you ****ing scam

TOVL

Smash Cadet
I main :dk64: because Isai vs SuPeRbOoMfAn at Super Smash Con and his Infinite Throw Trap

Earthward Bound

Smash Cadet
I play main ness cause he has one of the best recoveries and is maybe one of the best characters in the game if you know how to use him right.

I also main kirby for counterpicking dirty rat players, copying dks super punch is hilarious and op. Also kirby has so many different playstyles.

I also main captain falcon cause I love gimping people

And lastly I main dk because he's hard to combo cause of his weight and has TWO different spike options for quick 0-deaths

Skwrl

Smash Cadet
I actually haven't played this game except for a few times at a friends house back in '99. I have a copy of this game on its way to me, and I was wondering who I should select as a main. See under my profile pic for who I main in each game.

Captain Phobos

Smash Apprentice
I actually haven't played this game except for a few times at a friends house back in '99. I have a copy of this game on its way to me, and I was wondering who I should select as a main. See under my profile pic for who I main in each game.
Based on the playstyle of your other mains, I would recommend at least starting with link. He's not very good, but I think his playstyle is the closest to your mains.

Multiball

Smash Rookie
Speaking as a Link main, I don't think that he's your best bet.

Link is a zoning character who relies on controlling his opponent's approach with projectiles and then punishing the approach you forced them into, as well as hard reads and some abare to keep them guessing. He's very bad at the sort of mid-range zone control that Marth or Mewtwo excel at in their respective games. If they've gotten that far in, it's already too late. Addiotinally, Link's projectiles aren't actually quite good enough to control approaches well enough to be truly effective. This means that he's tends to have much worse matchups against a larger portion of the cast than any of your mains do.

The character in Smash 64 who is most like Mêlée Marth is Captain Falcon. He uses his legs as a close-range zoning tool in a similar way that Marth uses his sword, and has extended aerial combos that can lead to death if executed properly. From what little I know, his combo game is a decent 64 analogue for some of the things Mewtwo can do in Smash4, as well. His ridiculous run speed and murderous combo game give him very good matchups against quite a few members of the cast, so he's probably closer to where you're used to being on the tier list.

But why do I main Link? Well.

When I first started playing Smash 64, rented from Blockbuster and later purchased not long after its release, I naturally gravitated towards Kirby. I don't think I'd played a Kirby game yet, but he had powerful moves that were easy to use. When Mêlée came out, I migrated to that, and it was my main game for a long time. I was never more than a casual player, but I played more seriously than any of my friends did, so I was the neighborhood champ, as it were. It wasn't until university that I began to play 64 with more focus.

The people who lived a couple of doors down from mine in the dorm had an N64 if their room, and would frequently open the door and play Smash Brothers. People would wander in and play, I being one of those people. Eventually, people would wander back out to go do get drunk or something, but I and the more enlightened of the two residents of that room would often stay after everyone else left and play some 1-on-1 matches. He was a dedicated Pikachu main, having sensed that he was the best even at our casual level, whereas I dabbled in most of the cast more or less equally. There was one such time, when everyone had wandered out of the room but us, when he said, "Hey, let's play Pikachu dittos!" I agreed, having no reason to refuse.

As we played these Pikachu dittos, I began to get frustrated. He was a dedicated main, and knew the character better than I did. I was losing pretty consistently. My frustration mounted, and eventually I decided, "I'm through with the Pikachu ditto for today. I'm gonna play—uh—Link." This became the moment I chose my main. My original decision to play Link was as a Pikachu counter pick.

He and I knew each other not only from living nearby, but from a couple of clubs we were both in. Naturally, even after our living situation changed, we would meet and play Smash Bros sometimes, going back and forth in the matchup. Five stocks, random stage, items on very low. I'd figure out how to read his recovery, and then he'd start mixing it up. I'd figure out some way around a move of his, and he'd start using a different one. By the end of his university days, he was using a lot of grab and forward smash. It worked really well against Link. Turns out he wasn't much of a Pikachu counter pick.

Eventually, I moved away for work. I went to a local gaming event, and fell in with the crowd there that was playing Smash64. Recalling my time with my university friend, I picked Link, the character that I had devoted the most time to, and I'm still playing him. (Except in doubles. Link is even worse in teams than he is in singles. It's a sad life.) I don't play Link for the same reasons I chose him; I now know that basically all of his moves get beat out by at least one of Pikachu's, and his tether grab doesn't offer any advantage I might have thought it did. This means that he's a terrible option, one of the worst in the cast, as a Pikachu counter pick. Now, I play Link mostly because of a stubborn loyalty to him. Sunk cost fallacy? Sure. But in addition to that, I actually really like Link's playstyle. He's the only member of the cast who relies on projectiles for long-range zoning. I enjoy trying to force my opponent into a particular approach and then punishing them for it. And the thing that really keeps me coming back is those precious moments when I'm able to confirm a kill off of a random bomb hit to returning boomerang to bomb to forward air. The projectile combos feel so good when they hit—if only they hit more often. He's a terrible character, as far as matchups go, but I love the way he plays, and I identify with him. I wish he was better, yeah, but I feel like I would be a coward to abandon him simply because he happens to be disadvantaged. I have no plans to stop. I'm gonna keep playing him to the highest degree I can, frustrating though it may be when you get punished by a Falcon dash-grab from across the stage for a mis-timed bomb throw.

Actually, that's a bad example. The Falcon matchup is so not fun as Link I play Fox against it. I still play Link against everyone else, though, even Pikachu.

Skwrl

Smash Cadet
Speaking as a Link main, I don't think that he's your best bet.

Link is a zoning character who relies on controlling his opponent's approach with projectiles and then punishing the approach you forced them into, as well as hard reads and some abare to keep them guessing. He's very bad at the sort of mid-range zone control that Marth or Mewtwo excel at in their respective games. If they've gotten that far in, it's already too late. Addiotinally, Link's projectiles aren't actually quite good enough to control approaches well enough to be truly effective. This means that he's tends to have much worse matchups against a larger portion of the cast than any of your mains do.

The character in Smash 64 who is most like Mêlée Marth is Captain Falcon. He uses his legs as a close-range zoning tool in a similar way that Marth uses his sword, and has extended aerial combos that can lead to death if executed properly. From what little I know, his combo game is a decent 64 analogue for some of the things Mewtwo can do in Smash4, as well. His ridiculous run speed and murderous combo game give him very good matchups against quite a few members of the cast, so he's probably closer to where you're used to being on the tier list.

But why do I main Link? Well.

When I first started playing Smash 64, rented from Blockbuster and later purchased not long after its release, I naturally gravitated towards Kirby. I don't think I'd played a Kirby game yet, but he had powerful moves that were easy to use. When Mêlée came out, I migrated to that, and it was my main game for a long time. I was never more than a casual player, but I played more seriously than any of my friends did, so I was the neighborhood champ, as it were. It wasn't until university that I began to play 64 with more focus.

The people who lived a couple of doors down from mine in the dorm had an N64 if their room, and would frequently open the door and play Smash Brothers. People would wander in and play, I being one of those people. Eventually, people would wander back out to go do get drunk or something, but I and the more enlightened of the two residents of that room would often stay after everyone else left and play some 1-on-1 matches. He was a dedicated Pikachu main, having sensed that he was the best even at our casual level, whereas I dabbled in most of the cast more or less equally. There was one such time, when everyone had wandered out of the room but us, when he said, "Hey, let's play Pikachu dittos!" I agreed, having no reason to refuse.

As we played these Pikachu dittos, I began to get frustrated. He was a dedicated main, and knew the character better than I did. I was losing pretty consistently. My frustration mounted, and eventually I decided, "I'm through with the Pikachu ditto for today. I'm gonna play—uh—Link." This became the moment I chose my main. My original decision to play Link was as a Pikachu counter pick.

He and I knew each other not only from living nearby, but from a couple of clubs we were both in. Naturally, even after our living situation changed, we would meet and play Smash Bros sometimes, going back and forth in the matchup. Five stocks, random stage, items on very low. I'd figure out how to read his recovery, and then he'd start mixing it up. I'd figure out some way around a move of his, and he'd start using a different one. By the end of his university days, he was using a lot of grab and forward smash. It worked really well against Link. Turns out he wasn't much of a Pikachu counter pick.

Eventually, I moved away for work. I went to a local gaming event, and fell in with the crowd there that was playing Smash64. Recalling my time with my university friend, I picked Link, the character that I had devoted the most time to, and I'm still playing him. (Except in doubles. Link is even worse in teams than he is in singles. It's a sad life.) I don't play Link for the same reasons I chose him; I now know that basically all of his moves get beat out by at least one of Pikachu's, and his tether grab doesn't offer any advantage I might have thought it did. This means that he's a terrible option, one of the worst in the cast, as a Pikachu counter pick. Now, I play Link mostly because of a stubborn loyalty to him. Sunk cost fallacy? Sure. But in addition to that, I actually really like Link's playstyle. He's the only member of the cast who relies on projectiles for long-range zoning. I enjoy trying to force my opponent into a particular approach and then punishing them for it. And the thing that really keeps me coming back is those precious moments when I'm able to confirm a kill off of a random bomb hit to returning boomerang to bomb to forward air. The projectile combos feel so good when they hit—if only they hit more often. He's a terrible character, as far as matchups go, but I love the way he plays, and I identify with him. I wish he was better, yeah, but I feel like I would be a coward to abandon him simply because he happens to be disadvantaged. I have no plans to stop. I'm gonna keep playing him to the highest degree I can, frustrating though it may be when you get punished by a Falcon dash-grab from across the stage for a mis-timed bomb throw.

Actually, that's a bad example. The Falcon matchup is so not fun as Link I play Fox against it. I still play Link against everyone else, though, even Pikachu.
Thanks you for your lengthy reply. I will be sure to try Capt. Falcon as well as Link when the game arrives here.

mrawesome2002s

Smash Rookie
some of the best characters to play when choosing a main are Kirby, Pikachu, C. Falcon, Yoshi. find one of them that fits your playstyle and stick with it.

Windstar

Banned via Warnings
I play almost every character in the roster, but use Kirby a bit more than the rest. I love his creative combos and his ability to adapt to many character's playstyles with Inhale. Also, edgeguarding with Kirby feels sooooo good! Down Airs and Up B for days!

Here Rests A Cemetery

Banned via Administration
64 is the only game where I can play every character and have fun.

But alas, I still main Samus. She's a box full of tricks.

Big Green

Smash Rookie
NNID
keg2810
3DS FC
4957-3913-9423
I flopped between a bunch of characters before settling on Kirby. I started off with Luigi, but he was apparently pants. Then, I went to Mario, and tried Puff as well, but she seemed to diffucult to me, so I currently play Kirby. The plumbers are still both secondaries.

imahealthyboy

Smash Rookie
Back when I was a little kid I would play as Mario, and for a while I always just went with him cus he felt familiar to me, but after revisiting the game a year back I starting practicing as Kirby and realized just how amazingly broken he is. I was fighting a DK CPU and he was trying to recover so I DAired him, and I was shocked by just how effective it was. From there I also discovered his Up Tilt and BAir and realized that he was my best character. I play him to have fun as well as kick ass.
As far as characters that I just play for fun, the whole roster is great, but I really love Ness and Falcon dittos. I feel like Smash 64 Ness is the funest version of Ness out there. I just really love Smash 64 in general haha.

D

Deleted member

Well, :kirby64: is pretty much the only character I main here. His throws are cool-looking; he has easy-bake combos doing mountainous damage; I love how he takes other character's special moves. It's pretty pitiful that he's been screwed into the ground for Melee though I have him as a secondary there.

Top Bottom