• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is the best Puff in smash 4?

Drevis2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
drevistwo
3DS FC
4613-8582-9190
I've been playing Puff in smash 4 for a while now, but I'm starting to wonder, who IS the best sm4sh puff? The most notable players I can think of are Serynder and Hungrybox. But both of those, while decent, don't take Puff to the level Hbox did in melee or Isai did in smash 64. I wonder if there is somebody (who may not have shown their face) who is really good with Puff, that might surprise everybody with this unmatched skill and bringing of Puff to tahe unshown potential! (Like Leo did with Meta knight) Well, that could happen with any character, to be honest. I guess I just wanna know if there is any really good puff player (besides serynder and Hbox) in smash 4 that I'm missing.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Besides serynder and hungrybox, you got no one else but TheReflexWonder.

Runner-Ups:
Me, Jiggly, and that one guy from hawaii. Zero said I was one of the best, but that was just me joking around with him on twitter. I didn't think he'd feature me, LOL. I'm still getting there tho.

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101

Runner-Ups:
Me, Jiggly, and that one guy from hawaii. Zero said I was one of the best, but that was just me joking around with him on twitter. I didn't think he'd feature me, LOL. I'm still getting there tho.
I'm honestly not all too great, but thanks for the compliment, I might be top 15 lol. @RDR7 is never playing everywhere, but he's definitely a great puff. So is @ BrianYDG BrianYDG and @ Raichu4u Raichu4u

PandaEffect

Smash Cadet
Me.
I would have gotten top 8-4 at EVO but I didn't feel like going.
I got like 17th at the last weekly because I was distracted so they got lucky LOL.

But in all seriousness, I don't think someone will bring puff out of nowhere all the way to the top because she is not that great compared to a lot of the cast, I'd see someone getting really far at majors that mains puff AND another character and uses puff in some match ups. Puff does have room for extreme optimization, but even if you converted every hit into a rest confirm with fair or dair she can be zoned by disjointed aerials and juggled pretty easily as well. I just don't see a puff SOLO main making it onto top 8 at a major with Jiggs' current state, although I'd love to be proved wrong.

Leo did come up out of nowhere for the majority of people, but MK has always been seen as a character with some great tools and combo potential by the people that didn't just repeat the "MK is bottom 5 and that he needs range on his sword to be viable" meme when his strength in this game is deadly mix ups.

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
Woah, is this the "Who is the best ego meat-stick beater" thread?

Yo, Im the BEST Puff known in Montreal.
I'd be reading your rolls and shenanigans like an open children's picture book and just rest on it.

I've been doing smash weeklies all the time and been TOP 20 ALL. THE. TIME.
There was these two random people on these weeklies that kept praising my Jigglypuff by saying how good I was with her.

Just watch my sickly video of me wrecking Boy who was secretly Peepee trying to learn sm4sh.

Git Reked Peepee.

ThePuffDaddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
flashman69
I only use Puff in doubles now, but I think I was pretty good before I dropped her. My Diddy is much better than my Puff.

Drevis2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
drevistwo
3DS FC
4613-8582-9190
Hm, seems there are some players, who are worthy of mention, but nobody who seems to be top level potential, and lmao everybody is talking about how good they are.

I consider myself a decent Puff, most people I fight tell me I'm the best Puff they fought, but I know I'm not NEAR as good as any top player, although, give us a while, I'm sure we will get better, but so will the meta, and the top players.

BSXDrayden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BladeSatoshiX
My puff would be the best in the world if it didn't suck

But in all seriousness, the previously listed ones are the only high-level ones I've seen. Though @ Flamjam Flamjam is the best in Scotland from what I've seen. I've just not seen many though that are like top 8 level worldwide sadly.

Flamjam

Smash Cadet
NNID
Flamjam
My puff would be the best in the world if it didn't suck

But in all seriousness, the previously listed ones are the only high-level ones I've seen. Though @ Flamjam Flamjam is the best in Scotland from what I've seen. I've just not seen many though that are like top 8 level worldwide sadly.
The best Jiggs in Scotland out of maybe 2 or 3, I guess :'D

I really don't know who to add on top of Serynder. I heard that there was a Jiggs player who got top 32 in SSC, but I never managed to find out their tag. I don't think we'll be seeing much more until she gets a substantial buff of some sort, then maybe people will be encouraged to play as her.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
The best Jiggs in Scotland out of maybe 2 or 3, I guess :'D

I really don't know who to add on top of Serynder. I heard that there was a Jiggs player who got top 32 in SSC, but I never managed to find out their tag. I don't think we'll be seeing much more until she gets a substantial buff of some sort, then maybe people will be encouraged to play as her.
His name was BryanYDG

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
TheReflexWonder and Serynder that I've seen. @ BrianYDG BrianYDG 's video looked very promising though, and @ Jiggly Jiggly is mah boi, so I've got every faith in him being up there...although I hear Jay-Kun is legendary ;P

ThePuffDaddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
flashman69
Then shouldn't your tag be "ThePuffDiddy"? ;)
XD people at tournaments have suggested that and DiddyDaddy lol. But I still like puff and want to stay true to my roots, plus I'm already associated with the name at tourneys.

Raichu4u

Smash Rookie
NNID
Raichu4u
I wouldn't consider Hungrybox a good solo jigs in S4, he only excels due to the fact that it's as easy to get rests out of hitstun with a partner in dubs, something that's pretty universal all throughout smash.

My list would be Serynder, TheReflexWonder, @ BrianYDG BrianYDG , @RDR7 , and then myself. I don't feel like anyone is pushing the Puff meta though, only regurgitation of what she currently can do.

EXOgreyfox

Smash Cadet
NNID
EXOgreyfox
no vids right now :< lol but soon i'm going to alot more tournaments fire and dice is our known weekly

Kojii

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Afrooooo
3DS FC
1650-1652-7604
no vids right now :< lol but soon i'm going to alot more tournaments fire and dice is our known weekly
Do you have any results from other tourneys though?

DatChrizma

Smash Rookie
I'm still waiting for a buff...
They buff everyone, but her and samus...

It would be great if they just buffed the very low tier a fair amount, so that they could stand a chance. Even being mid tier would be great.

DatChrizma

Smash Rookie
I think puff is mid tier... :(
I've played her for a while and it pains me to say this, but in my opinion she is bottom 10 easily. Even Hbox has recently been thinking about dropping her because she has almost no tools.

King Ching

Smash Cadet

Runner-Ups:
"that one guy from hawaii." Thats me right? Thanks for the compliment @ Vinylic. Vinylic. :-) I improved a lot thanks to your advice and playing you. In the last tournament I got Top 10 (9th place). So its very possible for Jigs to be at the top @ PandaEffect PandaEffect , everyone was scared of my rest and my foot kicking them off the stage at our tournament.

A good puff player I played against was PJiggles from the Netherlands. He was better than me at puff at the time we played, but I did get a lot better since then so who knows.

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
The way I've been playing recently with hitting th 0 to death combo a few times a day, and getting great interruption rests and rests oos, I might be top 10 puffs in America. I need to improve my neutral game a lot atm though, so there's that.

I played for and hour and a half today, 10 rests hit, one miss. I only played puff 1/3 of the time though, so 30 min about.

Last edited:

BrianYDG

Smash Cadet
That was amazing! I'm definitely trying some of your techniques. Favorite video was against that Megaman/Falcon. REKT :D
Yeah I actually don't think rest is thaaat good in this game so I try to play her without really ever needing it. But in some matchups omg it's super strong so it really just depends. I've had some other Jiggs mains say I'm bad at setting up rest but I don't see it as a utility in a good amount of matchups. She's got phenomenal spacing tools and is amazing at gimping so I truly think that's where she shines. Not her resting. To each their own though. Everyone has a diff playstyle if you can get those rests of then hey go for it.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Man do I love puff in melee. But puff is just flat out awful in smash 4. She's the lightest character in the game and her tools do not come close for compensating for it.

Puff needs some serious buffs. Like above said, she's easily bottom 10. I think her meta died before it started - there's just no meta there to be developed in my opinion.

In my opinion she needs an overall damage buff, rest to always send opponents behind the screen so you aren't still in endlag when they respawn, a grab range buff + more out of grab. If Jiggs is going to die at 60% she better have some damn good offensive tools to compensate for it.

The other main issue jiggs has is shield is super strong in this game and her options for beating shield are terrible. If you look at the top tiers, you can almost define the tier list by who gets the most out of grabs.

Last edited:

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
Man do I love puff in melee. But puff is just flat out awful in smash 4. She's the lightest character in the game and her tools do not come close for compensating for it.

Puff needs some serious buffs. Like above said, she's easily bottom 10. I think her meta died before it started - there's just no meta there to be developed in my opinion.

In my opinion she needs an overall damage buff, rest to always send opponents behind the screen so you aren't still in endlag when they respawn, a grab range buff + more out of grab. If Jiggs is going to die at 60% she better have some damn good offensive tools to compensate for it.

The other main issue jiggs has is shield is super strong in this game and her options for beating shield are terrible. If you look at the top tiers, you can almost define the tier list by who gets the most out of grabs.
I dont think puff is bottom 10 at all. The only reason I main puff is because she has crazy potential. Her combo game and her ability to get out of combos is amazing. She gets out of kill combos, which is a blessing. Your biggest fear is getting hit by predictions or rouge kill moves. I do agree she needs buffs though.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Hbox. That man is doing some amazing work with what is considered the around the bottom of the tier list.

King Ching

Smash Cadet
Yeah I actually don't think rest is thaaat good in this game so I try to play her without really ever needing it. But in some matchups omg it's super strong so it really just depends. I've had some other Jiggs mains say I'm bad at setting up rest but I don't see it as a utility in a good amount of matchups. She's got phenomenal spacing tools and is amazing at gimping so I truly think that's where she shines. Not her resting. To each their own though. Everyone has a diff playstyle if you can get those rests of then hey go for it.
That is true. Rest is not Jigs bread and butter. Her aerials, spacing, gimping is what makes her deadly (which you are very skilled at by the way). I've won tournament matches without even having to whiff out a rest at all. However, in some tournament matches I would be losing badly, then I land a rest that completely turns the momentum around in my favor. I've talked to a lot of smashers and they HATE getting rested. Many players admit they were salty about getting rested, and many also admit they fear the rest move which in turn causes them to play uncharacteristically.

So although rest isn't what Jigs is about, I think its an important part of her game to be able to know how to rest someone. If opponents know a Jigs player can rest, the fear from the opponent will play Jigs favor. It will also either create a huge stock lead, or become a momentum changing play if done right.

King Ching

Smash Cadet

I agree Jigs needs better throwing options. A true down throw to aerial combo would be nice, since 80% of the characters have some kind of combo throw similar to that. However, I've used Jigs grabs to gimp people off the stage. I usually back throw them off the stage, wait for them to jump, and while my opponent is stuck in their jumping animation or landing with lag I follow up with a bair or aerial. It usually works and catches people off guard.

As for damaging shields, Jigglypuff has Pound which is an actual shield breaker move. I've broken many shields, or gotten the shield small enough to where I can shield poke them with all my aerials. Also if spaced right, Pound with a nair follow up can break shields instantly if the opponent is still shielding. Lastly, a fair while moving backwards is a pretty safe option for people who shield, as Jigs can throw it out and float away at the same time to avoid most punishes.

If not Jigs can just use rollout and break shields. I've done that before for people who aren't expecting a rollout hehe.

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
I agree Jigs needs better throwing options. A true down throw to aerial combo would be nice, since 80% of the characters have some kind of combo throw similar to that. However, I've used Jigs grabs to gimp people off the stage. I usually back throw them off the stage, wait for them to jump, and while my opponent is stuck in their jumping animation or landing with lag I follow up with a bair or aerial. It usually works and catches people off guard.

As for damaging shields, Jigglypuff has Pound which is an actual shield breaker move. I've broken many shields, or gotten the shield small enough to where I can shield poke them with all my aerials. Also if spaced right, Pound with a nair follow up can break shields instantly if the opponent is still shielding. Lastly, a fair while moving backwards is a pretty safe option for people who shield, as Jigs can throw it out and float away at the same time to avoid most punishes.

If not Jigs can just use rollout and break shields. I've done that before for people who aren't expecting a rollout hehe.
I usually do nair first because people are less likely to drop shield against a retreating nair, then they are against a pound.

But anyways, I don't think Hbox's Jiggs is that great in this game, but he does give us spotlight which is good I guess.

Top Bottom