• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is a good Back Up for Jigglypuff?

Samurade_X

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChrisTGA
3DS FC
1993-9521-2347
For a while I've been trying to find who I really want to main in the game, which lead me to Jigglypuff :039: however, I can't help but feel that I should have a secondary just in case I find a bad match-up for Jiggs. Which character do you think would be best to take on a bad match for Jigglypuff? As long as you don't suggest Robin or Olimar, I'm open to suggestions.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:4diddy:

But if you are looking for someone more similar to :4jigglypuff: in terms of playstyle, but want to keep it Top Tier, go for :4luigi: I guess.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Jiggs relies heavily on situational combos and reads. She also relies on intimidating the opponent when she approaches. Her weakness lies in fast heavy fast hitters, who can hit her faster than she can react. She's also bad at recovering from Meteor Smashes.
:4pit: plays a bit more similarly to Jiggs in his aerial prowess, has many disjoints, projectiles, and has good recovery potential.
:4duckhunt: is a great defensive character with hard hitting attacks, though he can get gimped easy and it requires a lot of mental awareness of where everything is.
Other options I would recommend as a secondary/pocket similar to :4jigglypuff:are :4yoshi::4ness: for their aerial power, :4wiifit::4pikachu: for ledge guarding, and :4luigi::4feroy: for the hard reads. That being said, don't be afraid to experiment. I was shied away from :4luigi: until I tried finding new mains. It's all about trying to see what each character offers.

Then again, you might want to learn how :4robinm::4olimar: learn since it helps when you go up against them. It can also open up Random as an option. :awesome:

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
DK. Plays sort of similar but with more tilts. I picked him up easily when I was already a seasoned Jigglypuff player. The opposite of puff, but won't cover all weaknesses

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
But

But what if I told you that

the opponents aren't intimidated at all by a Jigglypuff?
Then make them intimidated. String together Fairs and Nairs like the WoP you are. Read their recoveries and go for the Rest kills. Chain the Dair into Rest. Land a Sing when they least expect it. Pound their shield, and let them know the pain you suffer from a shield break.

Make them fear the balloon. Not the pooping of the balloon, but the mere presence of it. Make sure they never stay still when they see clowns and balloons. Scare them into throwing out any helium tanks they have.

And most importantly, teach them to fear Jigglypuff. Teach them that her Fairy roots will have her suckling blood from their necks every night until they stop counterpicking Halberd. Teach them that she will spam Boomburst until their ears fall off and become new additions to her war trophies. Teach them that they must never sleep on Jigglypuff, or she will Rest on them, sucking their soul dry to sustain her energy. Teach them that Jigglypuff is a bigger wrecking ball than anything Miley Cyrus could have ever imagined possible. Teach them that by camping, they are only allowing her to target their family and friends, hunting them and forcing them to watch, helpless.

That knowing face is a simple mask for what evil lies within. There was a reason why she was not present in the Pokemon anime after the first season...

No one would have survived the second one with her.

tarextherex

Smash Apprentice
Then make them intimidated. String together Fairs and Nairs like the WoP you are. Read their recoveries and go for the Rest kills. Chain the Dair into Rest. Land a Sing when they least expect it. Pound their shield, and let them know the pain you suffer from a shield break.

Make them fear the balloon. Not the pooping of the balloon, but the mere presence of it. Make sure they never stay still when they see clowns and balloons. Scare them into throwing out any helium tanks they have.

And most importantly, teach them to fear Jigglypuff. Teach them that her Fairy roots will have her suckling blood from their necks every night until they stop counterpicking Halberd. Teach them that she will spam Boomburst until their ears fall off and become new additions to her war trophies. Teach them that they must never sleep on Jigglypuff, or she will Rest on them, sucking their soul dry to sustain her energy. Teach them that Jigglypuff is a bigger wrecking ball than anything Miley Cyrus could have ever imagined possible. Teach them that by camping, they are only allowing her to target their family and friends, hunting them and forcing them to watch, helpless.

That knowing face is a simple mask for what evil lies within. There was a reason why she was not present in the Pokemon anime after the first season...

No one would have survived the second one with her.
It's funny because you didn't actually say anything in that wall of text

On topic, jigglypuff sucks and can easily be beaten by pretty much every character because she's just super weak and light. If you want to be good with her just play safe and space, that's it. If you fish for rests and sings that's free punishes, jigglypuff doesn't need more of that. On the ground she's terrible and has nothing except for like grab and uptilt. Even in the air be careful because pretty much every character either have better air moves or just straight up win the trade because jigglypuff is way too light, so when you want to hit someone you have to keep in mind that you have better air mobility, that's it.

If you sell out to a secondary that early in the game you'll either end up dropping jigglypuff or not becoming as good as you can be because you're limited by not believing in your skill to overcome matchups

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
:4bowser:is a hard Match-up for :4jigglypuff: because of his OOS, early kills, and range, and if you're struggling against him, then I would go to :4luigi:,:4mario:,:4pikachu:,:4falcon:, and :rosalina:for help.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
:4bowser:is a hard Match-up for :4jigglypuff: because of his OOS, early kills, and range, and if you're struggling against him, then I would go to :4luigi:,:4mario:,:4pikachu:,:4falcon:, and :rosalina:for help.
Umm, no?

Bowser is actually a pretty okay MU for us. Rest can land on him easily, he gets juggled well enough, and his recovery makes him gimpable. It's a matter of picking stages like Battlefield and Lylat Cruise to keep him from getting those kills.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Umm, no?

Bowser is actually a pretty okay MU for us. Rest can land on him easily, he gets juggled well enough, and his recovery makes him gimpable. It's a matter of picking stages like Battlefield and Lylat Cruise to keep him from getting those kills.
I see. I forgive about Bowser's weaknesses more than Jigglypuff's so as he don't shield it for him to get a early kill, then I'm ok so thanks. What are her jiggling tools, I may ask?

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
For starters, if you condition Bowser to read Nair/Fair/Dair, try Pound. sends him up, AND lets us use Uair. If we're on Battlefield, Bowser can't punish us from above as reliably because the platforms interfere with the Dair/Bomb. Heck, he can't even go under the platform and Dair, it puts him right back on it. This is why we can use Uair safely and prompt him to do something like air dodge or risk a downward plummet. Bowser Bomb can also reliably get us a Rest kill if a whiff or perfect shield happens.

As for the actual juggling, Bowser is similar to DK in that he has to recover horizontally. He has more leeway with a vertical recovery, but it's still not as good as most Up B recoveries. Because of this, it becomes very easy to juggle him sideways with Fair. This also holds true on the ground, as we can string Fairs to get him across the map easily, since he has to either dodge it perfectly, tech, or shield, all of which can be countered with a Pound. We still need to be careful at 50% range as his smashes can easily kill us despite their range. Usmash, Fair, Uair, and Bair however are the only real threats.
  • Usmash has the best range AND can hurt us badly if he does it out of a perfect Shield.
  • Fair comes out somewhat quickly, and can net kills if he chases us offstage.
  • Uair is common for a below approach, and it can be stringed from Uthrow to catch dawdling players
  • Bair is less common, but it's strong all the same.
Only other attack worth noting is his Flying Slam, which can kill us suplex or not (We lack the vertical recovery necessary to survive), but most Bowser players stay away from it unless they have a stock lead or reach kill% since it risks us killing him if we have a high enough percentage lead.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Probably a rush down type.

Last edited:

me quazzy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3797-9401-0113
I like to play Jigglypuff defensively and offstage. He's one of my many mains. For his secondary, I usually choose :4falcon:, :4shulk:, or :4ganondorf:. Something to mix it up. Can't give someone the same look with a different character. :4falcon: For rushing down and keeping pressure. :4shulk: For out-ranging most players. :4ganondorf: For inciting pure terror into my opponent when he goes near me on or off the stage.
I usually play one of these ways with Jiggs then I chose another if it doesn't work

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
There are quite a few I could recommend, but for the sake of keeping this as simple as possible, I'd say give :4yoshi: a try if you want a character who has similar strong points coupled with a good projectile and better MUs overall. Keep in mind he's considered by some to be one of (if not the most) difficult characters to play effectively, but if you happen to play Jigglypuff with tap jump off, Yoshi matches up with that control scheme very nicely as well (I mean, obviously you can play both with tap jump on just fine, but it does make it more difficult to waste precious jumps accidentally.).

Top Bottom