• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who has the best Spike/Meteor smash in SSB4?

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Samus' uptilt only spikes a grounded opponent (which is amazing for combos, she has a lot, a lot of combos from it and they start early %s, ~30 ish), The D-Air has 3 hitboxes unfortunately only one of them high priority spikes and it's small, even tiny very different from Brawl, requires a lot of skill to land. The 14% one spikes quite hard but not quite as hard as the ftilt. The onstage landing lag is actually quite ok as far as landing lags go, when the %s get higher and the f-tilt no longer allows combos the d-air picks up. Samus has a lot of ways to smack you into the stage, launching opponents helpless, and tech chase, quite rewarding and fun.

Last edited:

Mega Espeon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Espeon196TF
3DS FC
4511-0466-9842
I've actually found Bowser Jr. to be very good at edge guarding with his bair. If it doesn't kill, then they probably aren't coming back.
Has no one mentioned the amazing Little Mac nair gimp? So disappointed in you all.

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
Don't sleep on :4rob: dair, it's pretty large and is easy to meteor with if you know where to aim.

:4rob: Also gets gimps in the form of launching gyros, Ž dropping gyros, and "sniping" with fully charged laser.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I can't believe no one mentioned Mega Man yet. The only projectile spike (hard knuckle) as well as some of the best edge guarding and gimping with leaf shield/footstool combo.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Robin's Elwind is technically a projectile spike, though the spikebox is only at and just below Robin's palm. It's also one of the fastest, at Frame 8.

It could also be considered one of the safest on whiff, possibly? If Robin misses, he's still going up with a second Elwind to cover his tracks, and if the second one hits, he's practically guaranteed to get away unscathed.

Last edited:

Kromeste

Smash Rookie
For sheer strength and gimping power, Ganon's Dair is my favorite, for a more versatile yet still powerful Dair, Captain Falcon's is excellent, also, Luigi's down taunt is easily the best in terms of satisfaction and disrespect (but worthless otherwise). In regards to the character with most gimping potential, I would say Sheik.

Donkeybutter

Smash Rookie
I miss when Ness had the best spike, oh well at least he's actually good this time. It's certainly not the best but I wonder if :4wiifit:'s reverse f-air spike might be the fastest? Most spikes come out pretty slow in this game, but spiking is not the primary purpose of WFT's f-air and it's a very fast move.
Just curious, what game do you think Ness had the best spike? If you're talking about best 64 spikes I gotta go with Falcon and his dair, would prob rate Kirby and Samus as runner's up.. Strong and meaty as hell, but most importantly has massive range and disjoint in the back....hitboxes cover basically his entire body except his head and elbow, lol.

Ness's spike is awesome too no doubt (as are so many in that game) for it's strength, speed, and duration, but I just feel like it lacks enough range to ever be considered the best. For the best in Melee too I would prob go with Falco's dair for obvious reasons. Brawl I don't know enough bout to really give a good opinion, so if that's what yer talking about then my b.

Sry if I derailed the discussion a bit, I just wanted to pay my respects to 64 Falcon....

Last edited:

Meta_X

Smash Apprentice
I tested a bunch of spikes in training mode against Bowser hanging from the ledge of Final Destination. Here are the results (note: I didn't test with everyone):

0: Luigi; dtaunt - Guaranteed instant kill
1: Ike's upB; Kills anyone hanging on the ledge instantly; even kills most of the cast when started on the stage (See Edit note at the bottom)
2: Dedede; Super Dedede Jump (falling)- Doesn't kill instantly, but Bowser can't get back.
3: Pikachu; Thunder - Just barely less than Dedede's...Pikachu has to use it just above the lower blast line
4: Ganon; Wizard's Foot - Just barely less than Pikachu's.
5: Falcon; Raptor Boost - Surprised me. Bigger difference from the last three, but Bowser can't get back from this one either.

And for those wondering about these:
Ganon; dair - Strong, but Bowser can get still back to the ledge.
DK; dair and fair- A bit less than Ganon's dair.

Others tested:
Diddy's dair
DK's downB
Dedede's dair
Falcon's utilt
Samus's dair
ZSS's Flip Kick and dair
Sheik's dair
Link's dair
Zelda's dair
Ness's dair
Ike's dair
Mewtwo's dair
Roy's dair
Mario's fair
Charizard's dair
Falco's dair and sideB
Shulk's dair (in normal and Smash arts)
Megaman's dair
Marth's dair
Robin's Elwind
Duck Hunt's dair
Palutena's dair
Kirby's upB

I also tested the top ones on Jigglypuff to be more sure about placings. Turns out Jiggs can survive all of them (except Luigi's dtaunt). Funny... You'd think spikes would pop the balloon Pokémon :cool:

Edit: Initially I didn't test Ike's upB spike because I assumed it wasn't very strong. But now upon testing, even when Ike starts the UpB while standing on the stage and then moves forward to suicide, Bowser doesn't even get out of hitstun in time to jump (on Wii U; on 3DS he does, but he still can't get back to the stage). And when Bowser (or anyone else, for that matter) is hanging on the ledge when Ike gets him, it's practically an instant kill.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Pit/Dark Pit, Marth/Lucina, and Sonic seem to have the meteor smashes that need the most practice. The best on the other hand, goes to Mario(he's the boss).

salaboB

Smash Champion
I read the whole thread to see if anyone even mentioned it ... you guys do know Yoshi has a pretty safe meteor with a good hitbox on his fair, right? >.>

D

Deleted member 269706

Between ease of use and general effectiveness, Ganondorf's down-air is the best spike imo.
Beat me too it. Since it deals so much damage, it tends to spike at earlier percentages than most other spikes. Plus with the right DI, it can combo into itself.
Also, don't forget about...

Bakasama

Smash Apprentice
Luigi's dair is very low commitment and you can just follow it up with another one if they're at a low percent and are going to survive. I think Luigi's dair is probably the least commital meteor on a decent character.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Captain Falcon's Dair always scares me the most. Because Falcon is so fast it's easier to pull off than dairs from most other characters.

Last edited:

DKMJunior

Smash Cadet
Great thread. I think it's tough to argue against Falcon. His is quick and powerful, and in a fairly decent hit window. Charizard has a great meteor smash, as does Samus if you can time it right. I don't use Diddy or Mario, but I know from playing against them that their's are decent as well.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
R.O.B.'s Dair meteor hitbox is so massive and disjointed that it actually extends below the ledge. Sure, there are others that are more powerful, but it's definitely one of the most reliable and easiest to land on a recovering opponent if you know the timing.

Luigiguy42

Smash Cadet
Elwind is like the best spike. It has like no starting lag and the hitbox is OK. It's about the same hitbox as luigi's "shoryuken"

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Luigi's dair is very low commitment and you can just follow it up with another one if they're at a low percent and are going to survive. I think Luigi's dair is probably the least commital meteor on a decent character.
It's the second fastest at frame 10 as well. Villager is super fast at frame 8, and I think Olimar's is frame 9. Little mac's is frame 7 but super weak.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Some really good ones in my opinion, ranked from best to worst:

:4ganondorf: Down aerial
:4falcon:Down aerial
:4luigi:Down aerial
:4mewtwo: Down aerial
:4zelda:Down aerial
:4yoshi:Forward aerial
:4dk:Down aerial
:4miibrawl: Down aerial
:4diddy:Down aerial

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
As a Kirby main, I may sound suspect. But I've actually meteored a Roy (I know his recovery sucks) at 0% (the attack done 2% somehow) with Final Cutter.

Last edited:

LightLV

Smash Ace
Best part of a spike is its hitbox. Gannondorf probably has the best one. It's nearly impossible to land that move and not achieve meteor.

Falcon's is also great. Good vertical hitbox for connecting, and it comes out fast.

Yoshi has an amazing spike as well. The hitbox is massive and extremely powerful.

Falco's sucks. Extremely slow, tiny hitbox, terrible actives. IMO Falco's Dair is the worst move in his arsenal.

Nobody really mentions it because it isn't really a spike, but Kirby's is also very easy to land. Long active, easy hitboxes and Kirby has plenty of jumps to make it happen.

Last edited:

-Xeroskia.

Octoling Wizard
NNID
ColeXero
Switch FC
3334-3736-0319
So Robin's Elwind was mentioned, but what about his D-air?

I know its base KB isn't very high, but it scales pretty well from what I've seen, and the electric status has a crapload of hitlag on it that hold the spike hitbox out for years on multi-chars like RosaLuma and Olimar and on projectiles that get in the way like Ness/Lucas and Pacman.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
:4ganondorf::huge and powerful
:4zelda::fast and always spike
:4wiifitm:: side b is a really great spike
:rosalina:: because
:4kirby:: linger

sleepy_Nex

Smash Journeyman
Ike's Upb is the most hilarious to land:

It also is guaranteed at 0% like Ganon's Dair.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Falco's needs to be stronger I think. It's far too weak for how hard it is to land.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
:4ganondorf: has probably the strongest and most reliable meteor in the game. :4link:,:4mewtwo:,:4ryu:,:4falcon:,:4mario:,:4samus: & :4megaman: are other example of having great meteor smashes/spikes.

Seshwan

Smash Rookie
Ganondorf's down air is definitely the strongest, and it's also impossible to tech. Falco's is the only other one that cannot be teched. If anyone is interested I am slowly putting together a site to contain all of the information available on Smash 4. If you're hungry for more information on Smash, or simply interested in how it looks, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

All Things Smash

Charey

Smash Apprentice
Gimping or Meteor?
If Gimping Charizard Flamethrower?
Not really with Flamethrower against most characters, it can make people mess up but if most characters can power through it to after a bit of damage. Some characters like Little Mac and Ganondorf/Falcon can die if they mess up any input while getting hit but others don't have to worry at all.

You can use it to set up a forward smash by hitting them once with flamethrower then charging the smash, if they spam the up-b input some characters will pass the ledge before the 50 ledge denial frames are up meaning they can't grab it and land on stage instead. It varies a bit by character but it is an effective tool. (Capt. Falcon will grab you if you stay on the edge so you need to buffer a roll, Sheik just doesn't care because her up-b lasts long enough to ledge snap anyways, Etc.)

Top Bottom