• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who has the best air game?

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I like this discusion. The air game is a very important prt of smash. Do you mean best priority on aeriAls? That is what I think of when I think of best air gme.

Also recovery should be considered.

I was thinking Yoshi, falcon, Diddy, rosa, just to name a few. Though some of those have bad recoveries.

YoPoYo9100

Smash Apprentice
Jiggs has amazing attacks in the air,doesn't really have a recovery though.

Characters with multi hitbox aerials are also pretty good.

pagedMov

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pagedMov
Captain Falcon is a likely candidate. He has fast (barring fair), powerful aerials and all of them can kill in some situation. If you can't use his forward air, likely because you're onstage and don't want to wait a century to get out of the lag frames after kneeing someone's shield, you can sub it with nair.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
When I'm in the mood for air game... :4ness:

:4lucas: might be good with it too but since I play him so differently from Ness I'm not sure yet

darkprizm47

Smash Rookie
NNID
darkprizm47
Through my experience with Lucas, he's pretty good at getting foes INTO the air instead of attacking them there. Still though, His uair can do some pretty good work sometimes and I think he's got some meteor smash potential too with his bair but it's a bit hard for me to land a hit with it.

Thejewishpeople

Smash Rookie
I think Greninja has a pretty good air game. Good priority nair. Uair and fair kill. Has tons of recovery mixups between shadow sneak and all the different directions with hydro pump. Has a spike, albeit the riskiest one in smash, but still. Probably isn't the best out there, but it's definitely a strong suit of his.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I think Greninja has a pretty good air game. Good priority nair. Uair and fair kill. Has tons of recovery mixups between shadow sneak and all the different directions with hydro pump. Has a spike, albeit the riskiest one in smash, but still. Probably isn't the best out there, but it's definitely a strong suit of his.
I do love Greninja's down air, when used correctly it's just glorious

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Nah bruhs, ya'll need to wipe the dirt out yo eyes and see that the best aerial combatant in the game is none other than Little Mac :4littlemac: I mean, why even touch the ground with this guy?!?

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
Well better nerf Greninja again.

I'm going to have to go with Captain Falcon. Just based on speed & power.

Or

Sheik, amazing recovery options, may lack the kill strength but has the ability to go right off stage, especially with bair. Also, super fast, you can sometimes even chase them into the air before they get a chance to air-dodge or realize whats going on. My only gripe is her dair. I wish it had a meteor effect and didn't go into fast fall.

WaterDemonBaku

Smash Cadet
I think Sheik has a pretty good air game with her DownB and her Fair, her UpB can also be good in some situations as well. Her only flaw would probably have to be her Dair, I hardly find myself using that at all... Again, just IMO.

Dark Dr. Pink-Gold Pit Jr

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bloxxed
Through my experience with Lucas, he's pretty good at getting foes INTO the air instead of attacking them there. Still though, His uair can do some pretty good work sometimes and I think he's got some meteor smash potential too with his bair but it's a bit hard for me to land a hit with it.
His dair can spike, too

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Jiggs has amazing attacks in the air,doesn't really have a recovery though.

Characters with multi hitbox aerials are also pretty good.
She has six jumps, the hell you mean she doesn't have a recovery?
I would probably say either Jigglypuff for having six jumps, two aerials that kill, two that break combos, one that juggles, three that can Wall of Pain, one that does a ****load of damage, and having the second fast air speed in the game, or Mario cause all his aerials (not counting Fair) are frame 6 or faster, and he has the sixth fastest air speed in the game.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
sheik, rosalina, pikachu, diddy, luigi, zamus, villager, fox, falcon... all solid contenders

i would put my money on luigi (to start off, his bread and butter combos are all in the air), his nair kills, fair is plain amazing for comboing, dair spikes, bair is a great kill move and option out of shield and uair is also amazing at that... his b reverse fireballs are a pain since theyre great to zone out, he can dthrow upb or uthrow downb which are amazingly easy kill setups and well... his down b if youre a buttonmashing master can be better than brawl MK's tornado... it kills vertically at low percents, can be used to gimp, is a recovery option that doesnt leave in freefall, has amazing maneuverability, more priority, cancels some projectiles, its way more versatile, does a lot of damage if all hits connect, its very quick and catches a lot of people offguard, and its hard to punish, best way to punish is shielding all the way through, which most people arent used to... i myself consider it the best move in the whole game..... yes, the best player ive ever seen in real life is a luigi

Last edited:

カワシさん

From my knowledge, I'd say the aerial games of Pit, Marth, and Kirby are all pretty good. Not the best, but still pretty good especially with Kirby.

YoPoYo9100

Smash Apprentice
She has six jumps, the hell you mean she doesn't have a recovery?
I would probably say either Jigglypuff for having six jumps, two aerials that kill, two that break combos, one that juggles, three that can Wall of Pain, one that does a ****load of damage, and having the second fast air speed in the game, or Mario cause all his aerials (not counting Fair) are frame 6 or faster, and he has the sixth fastest air speed in the game.
Sorry I didn't make things clear.
I meant Jiggs doesn't have a recovery related UP Special.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Man, **** y'all mutha****as. Rosalina has the best air game. Period.
No, she doesn't. She spends more time on the ground than the air. Which is weird, considering she's the goddess of space or some ****. Now, Luma, on the other hand...

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
No, she doesn't. She spends more time on the ground than the air. Which is weird, considering she's the goddess of space or some ****. Now, Luma, on the other hand...
I know right! LMAO :rotfl::rotfl::joyful::rotfl::rotfl::joyful::rotfl::rotfl::chuckle::chuckle::bee::laugh:

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
If your answer isn't Jigglypuff, you're wrong. When you play Jiggs you float or you die.

D

Deleted member 269706

Jiggs is surely in the top 5, if not the best when it comes to who has the best air game. The lingering hitboxes, the multi-hops, the mobility...Jiggs is the most obvious contender.

Falcon is also a good one, or at least he was before they changed him in the latest patch. I mean he's still good, just not the same. But his nair is great for spacing and playing in the neutral, his uair is great for strings and follow ups, dair is a wonderful spike, and Fair is amazing...when done correctly.

And this one may sound a bit strange, but I think Ike has a great air game. His grounded attacks are much slower, so a lot of good Ike players will be in the air a lot of the time. His Nair goes all around him, Fair comes out quick and does awesome knockback, and his Bair is so fast/powerful I'd consider it one of the best Bair's in the game. His Dair has a spike which is pretty hard to hit with, but either way, it'll do like 15% on proper hit. And his Uair hits on both sides of him, and is great at catching people who airdodge.

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
Jiggs is surely in the top 5, if not the best when it comes to who has the best air game. The lingering hitboxes, the multi-hops, the mobility...Jiggs is the most obvious contender.

Falcon is also a good one, or at least he was before they changed him in the latest patch. I mean he's still good, just not the same. But his nair is great for spacing and playing in the neutral, his uair is great for strings and follow ups, dair is a wonderful spike, and Fair is amazing...when done correctly.

And this one may sound a bit strange, but I think Ike has a great air game. His grounded attacks are much slower, so a lot of good Ike players will be in the air a lot of the time. His Nair goes all around him, Fair comes out quick and does awesome knockback, and his Bair is so fast/powerful I'd consider it one of the best Bair's in the game. His Dair has a spike which is pretty hard to hit with, but either way, it'll do like 15% on proper hit. And his Uair hits on both sides of him, and is great at catching people who airdodge.
Ike is an underrated air character, it's probably worth mentioning he has great air range with his sword, which when spaced correctly, gives you major priority as well.

D

Deleted member

I think pit has the best air game, with a back air that has good KO potential and an excellent recovery along with a down air that can spike.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I'd say villager because of the range on his fair and bair. Shorthop slingshot all day.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
aye yall be forgetting the burd that prefers that dank air :4falco:
post 1.08 that Nair is so godly he became a airbender

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This is completely false. Rosalina's aerials cut right through a lot of attacks, cover a wide range, all but one is a regular KO move (and that one is a combo linker), her U-air being infamous for being capable of KO'ing heavies as early as 60% before rage, and 3 of them shift her body around, making them double as dodge maneuvers. Furthermore, she can jump very high and she has fairly quick left-to-right aerial movement. She's also a gimp master.

If you think Rosalina shouldn't take to the air, you are probably terrible with the character and would probably be destroyed against any Rosalina that knows what they're doing.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
This is completely false. Rosalina's aerials cut right through a lot of attacks, cover a wide range, all but one is a regular KO move (and that one is a combo linker), her U-air being infamous for being capable of KO'ing heavies as early as 60% before rage, and 3 of them shift her body around, making them double as dodge maneuvers. Furthermore, she can jump very high and she has fairly quick left-to-right aerial movement. She's also a gimp master.

If you think Rosalina shouldn't take to the air, you are probably terrible with the character and would probably be destroyed against any Rosalina that knows what they're doing.
You're talking about Rosalina and Luma together, I'm talking about Rosalina solo. I made a clear point of addressing that, which makes me think YOU don't know what you're talking about. What furthers that thought is that you say that four of her aerials are KO moves, which couldn't be further from the truth. Her up air is the only one of her aerials that's ever going to KO onstage, and it's range is very limited without Luma.
It's really off-putting that people these days don't know how to read. Next time, make sure you know what you're talking about before you judge someone.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You're talking about Rosalina and Luma together, I'm talking about Rosalina solo. I made a clear point of addressing that, which makes me think YOU don't know what you're talking about. What furthers that thought is that you say that four of her aerials are KO moves, which couldn't be further from the truth. Her up air is the only one of her aerials that's ever going to KO onstage, and it's range is very limited without Luma.
It's really off-putting that people these days don't know how to read. Next time, make sure you know what you're talking about before you judge someone.
That would be fine, except I AM talking about Rosalina solo.

Please stop spreading misinformation. Rosalina is well known for her fantastic aerials.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Nice try at covering your ***. The only one lying is you.
Care to prove that statement, then?

Rosalina's aerials are arguably more potent KO moves when Luma ISN'T by her side, so to say that the Luma has all of the aerial love is kind of absurd. Especially since, well, Rosalina has to use an aerial for Luma to use one.

darkprizm47

Smash Rookie
NNID
darkprizm47
Can I just point out that both MarioMeteor and sonicbrawler182 have given points that can actually stand for themselves without data or video? I'll hop on the wiki and watch some matches to see who's right but until then calm down and try to settle this like gentlemen.

Last edited:

darkprizm47

Smash Rookie
NNID
darkprizm47
OK, from what I've gathered Rosa and Luma both CAN go in the air to do stuff or maybe finish people off but mostly just stays on the ground. I haven't seen too much footage of aerial Luma but still, I have to give this one to MarioMeteor.

Troykv

Smash Master
Jigglypuff NEEDS the air game to be useful... So yeah, I say that she.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
While I agree that Jiggs and Sheik are very notable air fighters, I'd also have to suggest Wii Fit Trainer as at least a contender. Great aerial mobility, three different spikes, a killer Bair, a number of ways to stall or cancel momentum, and a Uair that has great coverage and reaches through most opposing moves. On top of that, her Nair is a great combo tool, leading into itself and other arials.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
:4jigglypuff:, :4yoshi:,:rosalina:, and :4peach: are all contenders here.

:4jigglypuff: the most obvious choice, she has 6 jumps and can wall out a majority of the cast in the air and out prioritizes most attacks. Her entire game revolves around the air, which says something. Her aerial momentum is obscene, Nair is great, her Fair is also great, and her Bair is insane.

:4yoshi: is also very strong in the air, the guy's got super armor during his 2nd jump, is actually faster than Jigglypuff in the air, all of his aerials are not named Dair are kill moves, while Dair can give you up to 32% when spaced properly.

:rosalina: also a very strong contender, Rosalina's aerials have obscene priority, and she can juggle extremely well with Uair.

:4peach: Her float is an excellent tool to create some space with, and her aerials are very strong but she doesn't have very much movement sans float.

Overall, I'd say either :4jigglypuff: or :4yoshi:would be the absolute strongest in the air, but, I'd give the benefit of the doubt to :4yoshi:, he currently has one of the best match ups in the game against :4jigglypuff:, so take that as you will. :4kirby:, :4sheik:,:4wario2:,:4metaknight:,:4falco:,:4fox:and :4falcon:are also pretty strong in the air, but not as strong as the mentioned ones above IMO.

Feel free to point out anything wrong with this list if you spot something terribly off, I'm willing to learn and fix my mistakes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom