• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who got the most buffs since Melee/Brawl?

pershona

Smash Journeyman
:4bowser:Almost unusable in both games, now can actually do something.
:4ness:Bad in Melee, almost not bad in Brawl and now he's Top 10 in the game.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Definitely :4bowser: and :4yoshi: The former is self-explanatory not to mention Bowser Bomb in the air breaks shields, and the other one... well let's say he went from low tier to top tier now.

:4lucario: is an honorable mention for the broken Aura + Rage effect combo.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
It's obvious to see that @ Supersmashbrothers. Supersmashbrothers. was talking about in general, I've mained Link forever, and you rarely if ever got to play against another Link offline/online where ever. Now in Smash 4, you at least verse one every hour or so.
Regardless, I haven't seen a single major Smash player use Link as a main.

IncomingGhost

Smash Cadet
Pikachu got amazing buffs to quick attack and thunder. Like most other characters Pikachu was given an over powered up air. The Smash 4 "environment", compared to Brawl, gives Pikachu just enough hitstun to be able to actually combo.
I've always thought of pikachu as a good/decent character.

From Melee, Bowser, Kirby, and Ness were the most improved. Hopefully Mewtwo as well. Captain Falcon and Mario got huge buffs from Brawl

:zelda:- A few buffs overall, despite losing :sheik:.
Lmfao at the implication that zelda's best move was turning into sheik

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Metaknight got hella nerfed LOL :rotfl:

Link, Yoshi, Bowser, Mario, Luigi, Ness, Cap, Sheik, Sonic and Diddy all got great buffs :chuckle:

Falco, Marth, Wario, DDD, Olimar & Toon Link feel pretty nerfed :c

I feel like Zamus, Fox, Lucario and Pika are all about the same strength they were om Brawl if not a little better

I think Peach is more or less the same and not as buffed as everyone is making her out to be :rolleyes:

I feel like G&W got nerfs in some areas but interesting buffs in others to make up for that :teeth:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
:4bowser: easily

then
:4jigglypuff: :4falcon: :4sheik: :4yoshi: :4zelda:

Zelda is still bad, not horrible but nothing impressive, Jiggly is also bad, not because the character is horrible but because shields are too strong and she can do nothing against them.
Jigglypuff is anything but bad. Not ridiculous like in Melee, but second best. Shields don't just automatically make her obsolete.
Anyway, from Brawl I'd say the Bros., Jigglypuff, Falcon, Sheik, and Yoshi. But Meta Knight most of all. He was so trash in Brawl, now look at how good he is! Look at the way he can't hit people half a centimeter in front of him. Disgusting. Nerf him, please.
From Melee, probably Kirby, Link, and once again, the Bros. And Roy. He's pretty much an entirely different character now. I like his new shades.

ICXCM

Smash Cadet
And Roy. He's pretty much an entirely different character now. I like his new shades.
I get jokes.

I like Captain Falcon in this game. In brawl it was like he was Rick Wheeler, someone you'd never want to be Captain Falcon. But now, is more like OG Captain Falcon.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Overall I would say these guys are in better condition than they've ever been.

:4ness::4link::4luigi::4bowser::4yoshi:

Honourable mention to :4falcon:. I didn't include him above mostly because he was quite good in 64 and made a comeback from his rather abysmal form in Brawl.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
:4bowser::4yoshi::4ness: Started from the bottom now we're here.
:4sheik::4fox::4luigi::4jigglypuff::4link::4falcon::4sonic: :4lucario:Have been improved since brawl.
:4metaknight::4falco::4drmario::4marth::4gaw:Getting hit with the nerfstick.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
Dr Mario and Mewtwo got the biggest buffs since Brawl, because now they exist again :troll:

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
I feel like nearly every character is at their best in Smash 4, regardless of how they fare compared to others. That being said, this is the first game where I have felt that Link, Yoshi, and Ness truly had the tools to go up against most of the cast.

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
It's been said, but a huge number of veteran characters got big time buffs in Smash 4. As people have been pointing out since the game came out, the cast is extremely balanced and even the worst character (whoever that may be) isn't really that bad. Most of the OGs got biiiiig buffs, :4mario: :4luigi: :4link: :4kirby: :4yoshi: :4ness: :4pikachu: Some of these characters were F tier in 64 and Melee and even the worst of them is now passably good in Smash4.

Interestingly enough :samus64: :samus2: and :4samus: have been regarded as perhaps the weakest characters in their respective generations. Samus has been bad and stayed bad.

Melee is DBZ, so even though :4falcon:is very good in Smash4 I'd say he's been nerfed considerably since Melee, and :falconmelee: is like the 8th best character in Gen2. :4jigglypuff: is much worse than :jigglypuffmelee: too.

I think my pick for the single biggest leap since Melee would have to be :4ganondorf: who went from decent to the single best character in the game. :troll:

Last edited:

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
Buffs
:4sonic:He got everything he needed, and then a little bit more. More kill power definitely helps though.
:4bowser:Much better mobility, but still has all the power and weight he had before. A lot more viable.
:4lucario:With rage, he's so powerful. And given his recovery gets better as he gets weaker, he's pretty insane.
:4falcon:I know he was amazing in Melee, but he's a massive step up from Brawl.
:4link:I loved using him in Brawl, but he's gotten so good in this game.
:4yoshi:His aerial game is crazy, and his jabs are lightning fast. One of the few characters who gives me trouble consistently.

Nerfs
:4metaknight:The range... Oh GOD the range...
:4falco:How did they even manage to make him so bad? He's so slow... He used to be my main in Brawl, but now I can't use him no matter how much I try.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
If they gave Meta Knight more range and didn't make it so ****ing easy to suicide with his special moves, he probably would be my #2 instead of Larry. I don't understand why he was nerfed to this extent. They way overdid it. Also weird they made Falco so damn slow in this game.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I will find more eventually since i still dident useeveryone yet but i will start

:4ganondorf: Wow......where do i begin
+hes much more power
+his standard special is flinch proof
+accuracy is much better
+hes slightly faster now (but by only just though)

I mean i have pulverized 6.0 classic with him only 2.0 short from the ultimate 8.0 and 9.0

:4lucario: Hes may better now
+knockback and kill potiental is WAAAY better than brawl
+not only the power increases from getting damaged hes accuracy is longer distance too, and up special is a reason of that you could get back to the arena if your almost in th kill zone with this.
+Hes faster than brawl
Side special who thats way moreusable now the range gets futher when damaged

:4bowser: Finally hes usable now.

+way way WAAAy faster now
+new attacks and better kill potential.
+his attacks are faster.
+better accuracy
The up special is way better now
So is down special

:4wario: HOLY COW.
much kore accurate attacks
Huge ko potential
The bitter is usable now
Finaly the fart attack charges from eating stuff why wasen't that in brawl
The normal attacks are way better now

:4sonic: Thank you daddy sakurai
His attacks are so buffed they don't have to be too damaged to get koed by sonic
Thanks for reduce the spinning attacks
Theres a rumor he has the strongest up smash in the game
The nomal special has better ko potential
Both side and down present better combos

His ko potential is off the charts in other words

:4charizard: Thank heavens hes all alon now
Flare blitz is a great attack
Down special is more usable now
Better attacks
Much more ko potential

:4rob: Thank you thank thankyou my favorite is mainable now
Not only that side special you can move around now it has a finisher punch that has great ko potential
The charge is a little faster and wider and stronger
Some of the attacks are nerfed but not too much i still ko with up air.
Attacks more accurate
His new final smash is way better

:4mario: Not too much to say but
Smash attacks are way better
The cape and reflect easier now
Comboing much easier than brawl

:4link:
Most of his attacks are ko potential
The down air spammers are foiled that got nerfed and i like it
Basicly better specials and attacks

:4drmario:
The only thing i need to say is....

He has the true mario set and has better ko potential than the melee version

:4olimar:
Yes more usable now ko potential is incredable
The non randomness is handy

:4pit:
Still needs some work but much better than brawls pit thats for sure

:4falcon:
Wow his ko level is simular to melee again.

One final word then i will work on more

I just hope :mewtwopm: gets the most buff from all of these charaters

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
>:4bowser:
- Mobility has greatly been improved.
- Reach for most attacks has been improved
- Attacks have greater knockback
- Whirling Fortress covers more distance and damage

>:4mario:, :4luigi:
- Greater combo potential

>:4rob:
- U-air and side-special have finishers
- Laser is stronger and recharges quicker

>:4wario:
- U-smash and S-smash are stronger and cover more distance
- You can stay on his bike as long as you want
- Chomp is more reliable

>:4fox:, :4falcon:
- Gained more mobility
- Greater combo potential

>:4dedede:
- Aerials have good knockback
- Side-b is MUCH more reliable
- Smash attack damage has been slightly improved

>:4jigglypuff:
- Aerials are stronger
- Rest is more reliable

>:4lucario:
- Lucario's aura has been taken to greater heights*
*Because of this, all of Lucario's standard and special attacks are even more reliable

> :4yoshi:
-
Standard and aerial attacks are more reliable
- Better mobility
- More KO potential

>:4sheik:
- Great mobility off and on land
- U-air has a finisher
- Two new and improved specials

>:4zss:
- Great mobility
- Dash attack is more reliable
- Side-smash is now a stronger attack
- Good air game
- Powerful recovery knockback

>:4charizard:
- D-air and U-air are a little more reliable
- Powerful side-special
- Powerful side-smash
- Flamethrower covers more distance
- More KO potential

There ya go!

Last edited:

misterOWAIN33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MR_FA1L
3DS FC
2294-5361-2433
But... Squirtle was my favourite :(
Mine too. He would have had high tier potential in Brawl as a standalone character.
I'd like to apologize to any :007: mains and revise my earlier statement; I recently started picking up Brawl more, and now I understand how to use Squirtle.
Sorry.
Nothing to see here.
Carry on.

Xyrohip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Xyrohip
Warning Received
I feel sonic has ahad a ****ton of buffs since brawl. There used to be very few sonic players in brawl. However in the current game sonic has seen huge amounts of play.

I wish we had pichu ssb4. No buffs no nerfs, just the self damaging pichu we all know and love. I am in no way good a pichu in melee however I still want to play him. He's just one of those characters that u pull out and wreck with as your opponents sit there in aww. If your playiny pichu you could be at 40% and still win with the perfect stock

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
My top 5 between Brawl and now are Bowser, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Ness, and Yoshi. All were poop to passable poop in Brawl and now are between "good" and "whoa holy ****"
Pikachu got amazing buffs to quick attack and thunder. Like most other characters Pikachu was given an over powered up air. The Smash 4 "environment", compared to Brawl, gives Pikachu just enough hitstun to be able to actually combo.
Pikachu isn't the most buffed though he was goddamn amazing in Brawl too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom