• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who else believes this slip-up may affect the Dojo updates?

Smash Apprentice
While it's true that Sakurai has made a point of keeping things tightly under wraps, he also has made a point of keeping the info on the Dojo current.

By this, I mean that any and all information that becomes common knowledge has been quickly added to the site, even if it includes retconning old updates.

For instance, recently, Coro Coro had a release that included Character Cards for pretty much every Dojo confirmed character. This included complete movesets.

The first repercussion of this was Sheik's official confirmation. This seems largely due to the fact that Zelda's card revealed this information to everyone. On the same day of Sheik's reveal, every single character had their main info page updated to list every special move, Final Smash included.

Oops. But, by doing this, Olimar's Final Smash, unknown until that time, was also revealed. Unsurprisingly, the next update on the Dojo was Olimar's Final Smash. This left one Final Smash left which was, sure enough, updated today.

And these are just recent examples.

The first 'slip-up' that I believe occured was way back in July 12, 2007 when Donkey Kong was a late update for the date after he appeared for no more than a second within a 15-sec clip that was showcased that day.

While more purposefully done, a similar case exists with Sonic. He was being announced that day and, thusly, wasn't going to not be on the Dojo.

So, what do you think? Sakurai said it himself not too long ago that "given the proliferation of the Internet these days, the existence of hidden characters is going to get exposed anyway." Can we expect to see Jiggs, Ness, and Lucario on the Dojo soon?

shadowed_phoenix

Smash Apprentice
I'm thinking yes. but, he may have planned the updates for sonic, sheik, etc. because they were meant to be shown at the events.
Nintendo didn't want anyone to know about the three new characters, and infact denied that they ever appeared there since they edited the video shortly afterwards.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
No, because the updates are planned a month ahead and translated a month ahead

Ithilgore

Smash Apprentice
If Ness is a starter, he'll be first, Jigglypuff is always a secret character, and Lucario probably would be too. Then again, if after the Japanese/US release the Dojo begins showing hidden characters, Jiggly was always ging to be the first character shown, since it's usually the first character unlocked (completeing Classic on any difficulty with anyone).

Brian_Link

Smash Cadet
I'm guessing only Lucario.

I believe that Sakurai isn't going to reveal anyone who was a secret character at one time or another. Ness may have been always available in SSBM, but recall you had to unlock him in SSB64. And Jigglypuff always has had to be unlocked. But of course my theories have been wrong before so...

shadowed_phoenix

Smash Apprentice
serebii confirmed that they would be unlockables.

I agree with ithilgore in thinking that jigglypuff will probabily be the first to be unlocked (through classic).

sry for double post earlier.:embarrass

krynny

Smash Cadet
even if they are done a month ahead, they probably still change stuff to cover their slip ups. like the olimar and Zelda FS.

mkmelee

Smash Lord
While they are planned ahead of time, it's possible that they could have several updates ready for posting at anytime. In a situation where important information is revealed to the public, either by Nintendo's mistake or own planning, they could just choose to update the site that night with said information, which had been prepared.

Don't forget though, it's not like they make an update, and just slap it on the site a month or so later. They obviously have included some information relevant to the posting date at times, and so it's correct to assume that the content of some updates may be modifed or added to for the particular post date.

Brian_Link

Smash Cadet
I'm guessing only Lucario.

I believe that Sakurai isn't going to reveal anyone who was a secret character at one time or another. Ness may have been always available in SSBM, but recall you had to unlock him in SSB64. And Jigglypuff always has had to be unlocked. But of course my theories have been wrong before so...

ratizi

Smash Cadet
If Ness is a starter, he'll be first, Jigglypuff is always a secret character, and Lucario probably would be too. Then again, if after the Japanese/US release the Dojo begins showing hidden characters, Jiggly was always ging to be the first character shown, since it's usually the first character unlocked (completeing Classic on any difficulty with anyone).
They said that Ness was going to be unlockable like he was in 64. Probabably lucas is a starter and Jiggs in unlockable.

JayceMJ

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it'll effect the Dojo at all.

You're comparing a bunch of official "leaks" to an obvious slip up. I'm pretty sure they expected Famitsu to reveal Sheik. And I bet Famitsu knows much more than they told us.

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
While it's true that Sakurai has made a point of keeping things tightly under wraps, he also has made a point of keeping the info on the Dojo current.

By this, I mean that any and all information that becomes common knowledge has been quickly added to the site, even if it includes retconning old updates.

For instance, recently, Coro Coro had a release that included Character Cards for pretty much every Dojo confirmed character. This included complete movesets.

The first repercussion of this was Sheik's official confirmation. This seems largely due to the fact that Zelda's card revealed this information to everyone. On the same day of Sheik's reveal, every single character had their main info page updated to list every special move, Final Smash included.

Oops. But, by doing this, Olimar's Final Smash, unknown until that time, was also revealed. Unsurprisingly, the next update on the Dojo was Olimar's Final Smash. This left one Final Smash left which was, sure enough, updated today.

And these are just recent examples.

The first 'slip-up' that I believe occured was way back in July 12, 2007 when Donkey Kong was a late update for the date after he appeared for no more than a second within a 15-sec clip that was showcased that day.

While more purposefully done, a similar case exists with Sonic. He was being announced that day and, thusly, wasn't going to not be on the Dojo.

So, what do you think? Sakurai said it himself not too long ago that "given the proliferation of the Internet these days, the existence of hidden characters is going to get exposed anyway." Can we expect to see Jiggs, Ness, and Lucario on the Dojo soon?
It can be expected that we'll see them soon.

Natis

Smash Apprentice
probably, yes. I wouldn't doubt it. They seem too update with wahtever was leaked...
But remember, Luigi was leaked in an interview, but still no signs of him on the Dojo...

Natis

Smash Apprentice
probably, yes. I wouldn't doubt it. They seem to update with whatever was leaked...
But remember, Luigi was leaked in an interview, but still no signs of him on the Dojo...

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
probably, yes. I wouldn't doubt it. They seem to update with whatever was leaked...
That's because it wasn't from something official stupid.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
what about when the voice actor for krystal said she was in ssbb? krystal hasn't been on the dojo yet
You mean the one that came from the VA's website? Just because she says that she's doing the voice doesn't mean that Krystal will be a playable character, but hopefully she is :p

Kaetar

Smash Rookie
I doubt Sakurai will significantly change his updates because people on forums accidentally saw a spoiler. Famitsu's target audience is much larger (and the issue was presumably planned in advance) so it does make sense for him to change his update after that, but not necessarily after last night's event.

FoulPlay

Smash Lord
I'm going to guess that it'll only be Ness and JigglyPuff because their Veterans and there is 3 spaces left. If he were to add a newcomer, he'd have to add 3 more to not make the page look odd before the release. But then again, maybe it is translated a month ahead? If it is then no.

Nonchalant

Smash Cadet
If they edited the video removing clips that showed a sketchy icon down at the bottom that no one is really sure what it means what makes you think that they will come right out and announce these characters?

If they're hidden they won't be announced. Snake and Sonic I believe are two hidden characters that they announced? And this was because these two characters grabbed the attention of a very big fan-base that if kept under wraps would hurt sales in the beginning weeks.

They're trying to cover up their mistake, they won't announce the characters :p

Zek

Smash Ace
I don't think Sakurai will change the update schedule at all because of this. All the other times were planned reveals, i.e. Donkey Kong at E3 and Sheik in Famitsu, which Sakurai most likely schedule those character updates to. This leak, on the other hand, is something they tried to cover up so I think they'll just act as if it never happened.

peytar

Smash Journeyman
A place where no one cares about brawl but me
i say yes but can you believe it actual phiscal proof that ness jiggs and lucario are in the game (not that i didn't think lucario and jiggs was in but ness OMG) I can't wait to see lucario on the dojo yay! Plus i find it odd that everytime we figure out something that it gets updated on the dojo maybe they are planning the dojo updates each day and weekday now that would explain why we get information that we already know just before the update.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
I'm going to guess that it'll only be Ness and JigglyPuff because their Veterans and there is 3 spaces left. If he were to add a newcomer, he'd have to add 3 more to not make the page look odd before the release. But then again, maybe it is translated a month ahead? If it is then no.
...Don't tell me you believe that crap about having even boxes so it won't look weird to people who are crazy about the uneven boxes? Trust me, they wouldn't let any weird stuff like that get in the way of them releasing a character. I don't think they're gonna change the updates unless of course they think a ton of people noticed it, and that includes casuals.

Smash Apprentice
For the people saying that he won't show unlockables on the site before release:

1. Snake

2. Sonic

3. "...given the proliferation of the Internet these days, the existence of hidden characters is going to get exposed anyway.

So, this time I’m moving in the direction of not being too hung up on hidden characters." - Sakurai
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/wi-fi/wi-fi04.html

Also, on the Donkey Kong thing. The Donkey Kong update was posted significantly later on the site than the original video clip was. That's why I believe it to be a slip-up. They realized their mistake and, instead of cleaning it up, (because you can't erase it from the minds of all the people who saw it), they officially announced DK.

I don't believe interviews are such a big deal because words are deniable in this case. Anyone can say anything as a rumor and it mean nothing. Heck, look at all the rumormongers doing it now.

A video or an undeniably official screencap is a little different matter.

One more group to address. For those who insist that the updates are planned a month in advance, that may be so, but it would be idiotic for such professionals to be fooled into thinking that everything goes according to plan and that nothing changes. I need no evidence for this other than the everchanging release date.

Smash Apprentice
If they edited the video removing clips that showed a sketchy icon down at the bottom that no one is really sure what it means what makes you think that they will come right out and announce these characters?

If they're hidden they won't be announced. Snake and Sonic I believe are two hidden characters that they announced? And this was because these two characters grabbed the attention of a very big fan-base that if kept under wraps would hurt sales in the beginning weeks.

They're trying to cover up their mistake, they won't announce the characters :p
Actually, it's fairly obvious what it means.

I believe they will come out and announce them because their cover up didn't work. Someone was paying attention and caught it, which they hoped wouldn't happen.

Sakurai isn't making a huge attempt to hide hidden characters this time around, according to his own words.

Top Bottom