• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who do you usually put as the CPU in training mode?

piscaso

Smash Cadet
I usually use either DK or just a mirror. What do you do and why? Any suggestions? :)

EDIT: Also what stage is also an interesting thing I'd like to hear

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't do training mode much but when I do I just put the CPU on random - no reason really.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
I generally go in training mode to try stupid crap or to practice jab locking. That means it's always Ganon or Jiggs.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I always go Random. It's helpful to be at least passively familiar with the moves of all the characters so you know how to deal with them in case you run into a rarely used character online.

:231:

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
Mario like 99% of the time, he's so average at everything so I can make quick assumptions off of him! That 1% time is when I forget to put Mario -.-

Pym

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pymdrake
Either random or DK, I like training against the larger characters

Poppy JR.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Poppy JR.
3DS FC
3668-8475-0899
If I'm goofing off, I'll set it to DK or Ganon, because comboing heavier characters is always fun. Otherwise, I'll use Mario, because he's the all-round kinda guy.

16bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
imsl1msh4dy
3DS FC
3136-7059-5966
I use Diddy, Sheik, and Sonic on My custom training stage. I mean, they are the most common in tournaments, so preparing against them is a necessity.

BSXDrayden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BladeSatoshiX
Usually random on Battlefield or FD. I usually only use Training to practice fundamentals more than practicing match-ups.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Usually, it's just Peach (mainly her), Bowser Jr., Jigglypuff and Sanic just so I could beat the **** out of them.

AlexKO

Smash Rookie
Mario because he's average weight and size.

If I want to practice combos I'll go with the smallest character, which I believe is kirby or G&W. If I can learn to combo them consistently larger characters should be cake.

Last edited:

ImBroken

Smash Rookie
I would normally use bigger characters to practice combos and come up with new ones, but when I just want to warm up and stuff I just mirror.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I tend to go with one of four;

• :4wiifitm:; not out of dislike, he just looks like a training mode opponent.
  • :4wiremac:; Same deal with him.
  • :4miibrawl:; Specifically, Dragon King – one that's made to look like it has no face at all.
  • Random; For convenience's sake.

Quote420

Smash Cadet
NNID
Quote420
I always put in either random or Ganon. Ganon's pretty heavy, so he's good to try combos on, and I usually put in random if I'm not trying something specific.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Random. I only use Training for AT and really I'd much rather there was no CPU character there getting in my way.

D

Deleted member

Yoshi when practicing foot stool combos with Greninja, Captain Falcon/Peach when practicing Up-air strings with Meta Knight.

srn347

Smash Apprentice
Depends on what I'm testing, though it's usually dk or mario.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Usually random, although I'll pick certain characters like Bowser or Jiggs if I want to test weight specific things.

MrMariosta1

Smash Rookie
I always pick Bowser because I can hit things easier if they are heavier and bigger.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Generally random, unless I'm training with customs on. Then I choose; Mario, because he's mid-weight; Ness, because he's closest to Random; and anyone else is for when I want to test things on that specific character.

As for stages. I always choose omega Pilotwings for:

and omega Wuhu Island for:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I made a max-defense Mii Brawler of Sandbag not too long ago. When I want to just wail on something slowly, I use that nowadays.

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
i put mario or captain falcon. falcon falls fast and is easy to combo and i see a lot of them on fg so its nice to see what combos against him. mario because he is in the middle as far as weight.

D

Deleted member

I leave it at random just to give myself variety and force myself out of my comfort zone by virtue of not knowing who I am up against and making (kind of) on-the-spot decisions. I like Random for that reason. I only enter training mode if I want to practice techs with Doc or Puff.

clydeaker

Smash Journeyman
I use Mario at level 1 if I'm doing some small tests because Mario is supposedly the most average and well rounded characters is smash. I try and use Mario for every test I do too (unless it requires a specific CPU character) because that way all of my data is accurate when I compare. also when you test a custom stage the default character for you and the computer is always Mario.

EDIT: Sometimes I will use characters with specific characteristics like weight, recovery height, body (hitbox) size, etc. That way I know something like what characters I can use a specific combo on.

Last edited:

sixkami

Smash Cadet
NNID
ifwjay
3DS FC
0044-3489-7158
If I pick any character to beat down in practice it's usually Little Mac because I want to practice aerial stuff and well...

As for stages, on 3DS I go to Tomadachi Life and Onette on Wii U. Both of those stages are bright so I can see what I'm doing and I enjoy the music.

Last edited:
Top Bottom