• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who do you use for your secondaries with Shulk.

XenoEmblems

Smash Rookie
I'm getting pretty good with :4shulk: but I want to find a character that can compliment his strengths. I haven't played Smash in a real long time and my old Brawl main :4olimar: isn't as good as I remembered him being so I'm learning a bunch of characters from scratch.

Who do you all use as secondaries to compliment :4shulk:?

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I co-main Ike, Pit, and Yoshi along with Shulk. Shulk's more of my secondary actually.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
If my Primary is Monado Shulk, I'll just Secondary Vanilla Shulk.:troll:

But seriously I don't have a decent Secondary to compliment Shulk yet. Still feels kind of early to decide a Secondary for me, but the dedicated Secondaries that come to mind are:
:4falcon::4charizard::4greninja::4lucario::4marth::4palutena::4rob: or :4yoshi:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
ssb4 is really big on gimps and aerial play/counterplay. So to be more precise with what I said before, shulks play is aggression. you cant be complacent when they are shooting your face in. If its a secondary to make up shulks faults... well someone strong at range, consistent recovery and a faster ground game....maybe aerial.

Pits recovery is mad strong and arrows do gimp, his ground game is faster as well. Guardian orbitors give him additionalrojectile counter play.

Mario has a pretty great imo ground game.

Yoshi is very potent in the air. i like how all the other posters consider him too. reliable recovery, fast, nice grab range.

Marth is a faster version of shulk. if you want pure melee. I thought about it and ran off, Marth doesnt offer much difference.

sheik and greninja speak for themself.
imo charizard fits too, all that power but he isnt slow, strong grabs.
I mentioned R.O.B before because his range game is tight, he can reflect projectiles and punish rolls well. That and people said his recovery is nerfed but I think his-off ledge game is tight.

Strong recovery is getting important to me. Part of why im really feeling jump is that it makes them want to fight off-edge to kill secure and im coping more with that as i improve. jigglypuff is cool like that because her horizontal is ridic

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
sonic has been mine strictly due to the similarity of his brawl form, only greatly buffed....:/ i'm actually getting better results with sonic despite wanting to keep shulk as my main. A few matches where people have ROFLstomped my shulk, i've turned to sonic next match and completely destroyed em, one match even going so far as to two stock em with me under 50% damage.

Pit just cuz he was my brawl main, don't like a lot of the changes to him, even though many are technically buffs, I don't like em much, especially not being able to arrow loop anymore.

Last edited:

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Secondary is Mario and the two definitely compliment each other. My Shulk struggles greatly against people that roll a lot or camp the edge so I swap out to Mario and he just eats them up. Happened yesterday on For Glory-was facing an Ike that was super defensive and campy and my Shulk struggled a good amount so I went Mario, used fireballs to put on some hard pressure and ended up easily 2 stocking him.

Enyalb

Hardcore Wonder-Casual Dragoon
NNID
BLAYNEproject
3DS FC
5300-9911-6250
I already got mine in my sig. Might need to change it a bit once I get a good understanding of the roster more.

Right now :4palutena: isn't really doing it for me, and might get replaced by either :4marth: or :4lucina:. Even if the former has been nerfed considerably, I still feel Marth can be a beast once you get used to his shorten tipper.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Hmm I am thinking Link and Robin as both have good recovery(bomb jump with Link) and spacing options.I also like Little Mac he's just so much fun to play.Greninja too with his shuriken and shadow sneak.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
I just pick secondaries that I like playing as who also compliment Shulk's playstyle.

:4littlemac:'s amazing ground game teaches me to be patient and strike when the time is right.
:4fox: forces me to sacrifice power for speed and think on the fly if I use Speed.
:4megaman: makes me plan for the next move and made me learn that pure brute force (or smash attacks) isn't always the best answer.
And finally :4marth:/:4lucina: to get a feel of a pure melee swordsman to help with Vanilla Shulk.

I'm still thinking of one more secondary to round off with six total chars but five should be enough for this early stage of the game.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
My secondaries so far have been Lucina and Zamus. Might as well throw Toon Link in there, since he was my main in Brawl for awhile (Although I am quite rusty with Toon Link.)

I also like to play as Little Mac just for fun though.

Last edited:

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
I think Robin's actually pretty good for a Shulk player. He's another somewhat laggy character based on spacing, and most of his attacks/aerials you can't throw out safely either, you have to make them count or space properly. Of course, he's more of a ranged character, but their mindsets and how you have to play them coincide a bit, high reward for risks. Instead of Monado Arts, he employs different tactics throughout a match :p

SpatialPSI

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regent_EX
3DS FC
1091-7941-1344
I mained Ness in Brawl, and now that I'm using Shulk, I use Ness as a secondary. I also second Pit.

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
I use Shulk as a secondary for Kirby, who has trouble with characters with good Melee spacing, which Shulk excels in. Even then, I have trouble dealing with projectiles with Shulk, so I use Ness to deal with those. It's kinda like rock-paper-scissors.

I'm beginning to use Lucina more frequently than Rosaluma. I just use Rosaluma for lulz because I came to the realization that I suck at being a mom

Zephil

Smash Ace
I am using Sheik as my secondary as I think its the best char all around and can deal with any MU, including the ones difficult for Shulk.

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
I'm beginning to use Lucina more frequently than Rosaluma. I just use Rosaluma for lulz because I came to the realization that I suck at being a mom
Of what significance is the victory when you are gazing upon your fallen foe from atop a mountain of dead Lumas, all of which you mercilessly sent to an early grave? *sniff*

but yeah, sadly I don't have much in the way of compliments to Shulk. It's looking like my top 3 in smash 4 are :4myfriends::4marth:and :4shulk:. (in no order) Only one who might add diversity is my :4zelda:, but that one's in progress

AlexTetris

Smash Rookie
I've really been liking teh Captain as my second. Fairly opposite playstyle to Shulk (super aggresive vs. shulk's defensive) and makes a great change of pace when I'm not really feeling it.

Aaaaaand Lucina's meh after how many games -____-

My quest for a secondary still continues

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I've been using Fox and Bowser, since they help alleviate a lot of matchups for him.

Fox helps against campers, he either camps them harder or just shuts them down.

Bowser for the Little Mac matchup though.

Okay. I think Female Robin is my second. This time for sure

And my lulz character is Zelda

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I've been using Marth since I already know him from Brawl, but I'm trying to learn DHD (in a less annoying manner than others) or Robin since usually it's lack of projectiles that forces me to go into a different character.

Daryl

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1693-1886-6962
I co-main Ike and Sonic. I think Ike is quite similar play style with Shulk.

With Sonic, is really different but yeah I'm a huge sonic fan from my childhood

MHFsilver

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2878-9786-7166
My 2nd to Shulk is Pac-Man. He's a complete opposite to how I play Shulk so it's a nice change and switch up in my tactics when I fight people who think they've figured out my strategy.

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
I co-main Ike and Sonic. I think Ike is quite similar play style with Shulk.

With Sonic, is really different but yeah I'm a huge sonic fan from my childhood
No kidding about Ike. If you break them down, their entire movesets are eerily similar. Their B moves all have the same basic functions, neutral B aside. F-air, B-air, and D-air are mostly the same motions. Even their N-air is the same! They're just reversed in motion.

F-tilt and D-tilt are also near identical, U-tilt as well aside from the big range difference. Their AAA combo is the same series of attacks... Their smash attacks, U-air, and neutral B are about the only things that aren't related.

I think any Shulk player can pick up Ike easily. Although, I'm not really sure when you'd prefer one over the other.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Shulk is more-or-less my secondary, usually to mix up the matchup knowledge against other players, since Shulk mains aren't very common (either that, or sandbagging). Don't find too many instances of having to do that too often, since I main Sheik, after all.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
No kidding about Ike. If you break them down, their entire movesets are eerily similar. Their B moves all have the same basic functions, neutral B aside. F-air, B-air, and D-air are mostly the same motions. Even their N-air is the same! They're just reversed in motion.

F-tilt and D-tilt are also near identical, U-tilt as well aside from the big range difference. Their AAA combo is the same series of attacks... Their smash attacks, U-air, and neutral B are about the only things that aren't related.

I think any Shulk player can pick up Ike easily. Although, I'm not really sure when you'd prefer one over the other.
Shulk feels like a longer-ranged, yet slightly weaker version of Ike with more tools. IMO
I can definitely imagine why that'd be the case.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
An update to my previous post:

I've been using Marth more recently in order to practice my spacing for both characters and practice having an offensive and defensive sword play style. Suffice to say I now pretty much use Marth/Lucina (the two pretty much are the same save the sword properties) and Shulk pretty evenly these days and it works out quite nicely.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Alright I think I know.Mains:Shulk and Link.Secondaries:Shiek,ZSS,Robin and Greninja,once in a while I'll use,Lucina,Pit,Bowser and Charizard(Hoping one of these gets good enough to be secondaries)

Sui

Smash Cadet
NNID
sui892001
3DS FC
5344-0231-3607
I've always liked playing Yoshi in Smash, but especially with the buffs he got in Smash 4, Yoshi makes a pretty good secondary to Shulk. He's an absolute beast in the air, and he can throw those eggs to annoy you all day. Plus his new dash attack is actually, you know, really good. Definitely agree with all the people before me saying Yoshi. He compliments Shulk well.

AstraEDM

Smash Ace
I secondary Jiggs. She can duck under campy shiek needles and gimp little mac, bowser is an easy rest target, etc. Mostly cause she's the second most fun to play after shulk lol

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
Jigglypuff here as well. Though I'm almost positive my Jigglypuff is better than my Shulk on the account that I've mained her since the 64 days. I haven't practiced Jiggs much but there's not too much to learn after all these years lol

AstraEDM

Smash Ace
Jigglypuff here as well. Though I'm almost positive my Jigglypuff is better than my Shulk on the account that I've mained her since the 64 days. I haven't practiced Jiggs much but there's not too much to learn after all these years lol
oh, sweet! apparently crouch>rest is really really good now, especially cause drop shield is so fast. against taller characters if you're both shielding you can drop your shield, duck their grab, and rest them like 100% of the time lmao

Top Bottom