• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who do you think will be the next low tier to rise?

Pyriuh

Smash Rookie
And i mean like someone no one has really made strides with but has potential, like axe with pikachu or chudat with icies or even how ken brought up marth. Im looking for a new main because i used to be the most technical player in my scene with my fox, but i lost it all while playing some falcon and now im looking for a new low tier main that could make strides in the game.

Get Low

Smash Ace
If you mean an actual low tier then I can't see any of them moving up
666 post count detected. Savor it and don't post for a while, lol

To answer the question, no low tier is ever going to rise. However, I've always thought Zelda was mid-tier at least and could be really deadly in the right hands. But sadly no one wants to play her because everyone thinks she's trash.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Dolla Pills Dolla Pills , I can't see anyone moving up. I mean, I think Links have already been optimized about as far as they can get MAYBE Young LInk, but still probably not much above Ganondorf.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
Pichu is severely under-represented and has more potential than the tier list suggests.
Definately, but I doubt he can rise into the top half of the tier list... but as for underrepresentation, I think Pikachu is to blame.

Boofed

Smash Rookie
Link is the next one to move up. Look up videos of Saus and Stro. Saus makes link look like pikachu and with those bairs, nairs, and up-Bs, Link is a force to be reckoned with.

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
I vote for Pikachu bc pikachu is considered a poor man's fox and i know pika isn't low tier but the scene needs more pikachus than just axe. I've only ever seen axe play pika at a tourney. Nobody else uses him. If you want actual lower tiers Luigi Young Link maybe Yoshi.

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
Roy. Because there is a huge push in the Roy discord server with labbing and stuff.

T^2

Smash Cadet
And i mean like someone no one has really made strides with but has potential, like axe with pikachu or chudat with icies or even how ken brought up marth. Im looking for a new main because i used to be the most technical player in my scene with my fox, but i lost it all while playing some falcon and now im looking for a new low tier main that could make strides in the game.
In my opinion, samus is by far the character that has the least used potential in the game. ssbmtutorials has a video covering all of the useful tech she has that is rarely seen in tournament due to the difficulty of a lot of them, but if someone was able to do them consistently without making major mistakes, I could see samus moving up a spot or two. I know shes already rated decently high on the tier list, but I cant see anyone else moving up besides her.
Link to the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1d0Ue4a0IQ
how to approach as samus feat hugS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is0DOA5lYuw
best of luck on your quest to be the best!

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
The low tier characters that have zero untapped potential and will go nowhere are -

Roy, Ness, Pichu, Bowser

They suffer greatly against floaties and mids, and can be gimmicked in neutral and/or off stage HARD. All of these also have unwinnable MUs.

The low tier placements that make the least sense right now are -

Ganon, Kirby, Young Link (and maybe Mewtwo....still has untapped movement and neutral potential)

Last edited:

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Pichu is by far the most underdeveloped character. By far.

SSG SAX GAMER

Smash Apprentice
Well the game has been out for a while and because of that, the meta is pretty well developed. As a result, a lot of the charactershave been discovered and its unlikely that anyone will move up

Pyriuh

Smash Rookie
Well the game has been out for a while and because of that, the meta is pretty well developed. As a result, a lot of the charactershave been discovered and its unlikely that anyone will move up
You dont think theres a matter of some characters not well represented enough? like i think if there were more pikachu mains than axe pikachu would maybe see a rise

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
You dont think theres a matter of some characters not well represented enough? like i think if there were more pikachu mains than axe pikachu would maybe see a rise
Yeah, no one really considers Samus or Pikachu bad, but only 7 in the top 100 main or even secondary the 2 combined.

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Bowser :083:

But really, what are the two characters that no one likes and no one picks? Pichu and DK. Still tons of potential to develop here.

But about Bowser, even DJNintendo doesn't use all of Bowser's tools, and he's currently the best. And we keep finding new Bowser techs. I wouldn't say he'd go up to S tier, but he definitely has the potential to go up. At least SS tier, maybe even SSS tier if we're lucky.

SSG SAX GAMER

Smash Apprentice
There may be characters with not a lot of representation, but that could be because of how good they are. So they might be underused because there's a better character that can win more. Also, if there were more pikachu users I don't think he'd rise on the tier list and become viable.

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
Bowser :083:

But really, what are the two characters that no one likes and no one picks? Pichu and DK. Still tons of potential to develop here.

But about Bowser, even DJNintendo doesn't use all of Bowser's tools, and he's currently the best. And we keep finding new Bowser techs. I wouldn't say he'd go up to S tier, but he definitely has the potential to go up. At least SS tier, maybe even SSS tier if we're lucky.
Bowser is combo meat though and most of his attacks are really slow. I don't think there's any way he could get past E tier.

DoomCake196

Smash Apprentice
Zelda I actually pretty fun to play and can be deadly. My friend is the 3rd best in our local scene and he plays Zelda. But other than that probably Roy, bowser, and link. But I would definitely recommend Zelda to you. She has a projectile, like fox, she has pretty decent up air, like fox, you shouled be pretty technical, like fox, and also she has potential. Plus her sick fair and bairs

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
You guys really need to give some thought to what actually makes a character viable and how they possibly could have potential.

You're going to have to play floaties and mids like ICs, Peach, Samus, Jigglypuff. This game isn't just "You get to play Falcon on FD"

None of the above characters mentioned stand a chance even with lopsided player skill, some of those non-FF MUs are unwinnable.

Pichu for example is just a far worse Pikachu, any strides and developments Pikachu has made Pichu already can't even benefit from 80% of it due to his handicaps and inferior characteristics. Pikachu has exposure on a very high level, so not even MU ignorance is possible for a Pichu (who is just a far easier Pikachu to combo, chaingrab, and kill). Pichu has nothing substantial left, what he does have is not worth a fraction of what could be applied with Pikachu across all MUs. People have already tried. There is a reason you don't see Pichu's at a high level unless it's to troll, there isn't some conspiracy or lack of usage.

Yoshi was not a secret to those that actually messed around with him. It's been long known that he does well against ICs and Marth, even Fox/Sheik sometimes (who have trouble edge guarding him).

Last edited:

Delta Chae

The Observer
Zelda I actually pretty fun to play and can be deadly. My friend is the 3rd best in our local scene and he plays Zelda. But other than that probably Roy, bowser, and link. But I would definitely recommend Zelda to you. She has a projectile, like fox, she has pretty decent up air, like fox, you shouled be pretty technical, like fox, and also she has potential. Plus her sick fair and bairs
Zelda has a multitude of problems that hold her back. Her neutral is terrible as she has a very short wavedash and dash dance and unlike Shiek, lacks the speed to compensate for it. Her projectile is useless on-stage and off-stage as it can be avoided on reaction very easily and if you happen to be dumb enough to use it in neutral you will eat a [Insert whatever punish here]. Upair has solid knockback but its hitbox size is also deceptively small. Not to mention how early she dies and the fact that all of her smash attacks can be SDIed out of. That being said her lightning kicks are very solid move and are the only thing preventing her from being unable to do anything whatsoever but having one or two good options won't help you when better characters have five or more equally useful or better options.

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Zelda has a multitude of problems that hold her back. Her neutral is terrible as she has a very short wavedash and dash dance and unlike Shiek, lacks the speed to compensate for it. Her projectile is useless on-stage and off-stage as it can be avoided on reaction very easily and if you happen to be dumb enough to use it in neutral you will eat a [Insert whatever punish here]. Upair has solid knockback but its hitbox size is also deceptively small. Not to mention how early she dies and the fact that all of her smash attacks can be SDIed out of. That being said her lightning kicks are very solid move and are the only thing preventing her from being unable to do anything whatsoever but having one or two good options won't help you when better characters have five or more equally useful or better options.
Not to mention her grab is frames 12-13 which is significantly slower than frame 7 that most other characters have, and on top of that it has practically no range.

Maybe if Zelda had decent mobility and solid mix up options other than fair/bair then she could hold her own against relevant characters, but as she is the only way to get past even remotely competent players is to pray that they're just going to blindly and nervously run into and never adapt.

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Bowser is combo meat though and most of his attacks are really slow. I don't think there's any way he could get past E tier.
He has upB, the best defensive move in the game. You are intangible for 4 frames and on frame 5 the attack comes out - pretty op. Fair and Bair are good, Uair and Utilt are godlike. Koops klaw is dank too, as you have another approaching option - you can grab in mid-air. There are so many shenanigans to explore with upB, it's fantastic. Although many are frame-perfect. Flames are great for edgeguards too, just like Bair and Ftilt. Bowser can get pretty fast when using platforms, and a good waveland makes him a surprising threat. Once again many upB shenanigans.

As for the combos, I guess it's all about experience and a good read. I realized that Bowser has tons of options to get out of them, so now I can consistently DI out of Sheik's infinite chain grabs. Sometimes a well placed upB can turn things around. Air upB can rack up 30%, which is great when they do something unsafe. He do have awful matchups indeed, but he has some tools for all of them except for Peach.

So yep, definitely SSSS tier.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
. He do have awful matchups indeed, but he has some tools for all of them except for Peach.

So yep, definitely SSSS tier.
I know you are joking a bit, but...

What about ICs? It's definitely not just Peach.

Sheik, Puff, and Falcon are pretty hopeless as well, Falcon actually has combos on Bowser that he can't even pull off on anyone else (because of Bowser's massive size.)

Keep on trying with Bowser, I'm all for Low Tier heroes. But definitely practice a top tier that you like as well, you might regret it if you don't.

DoomCake196

Smash Apprentice
Yeah but thats the only decent low tier I could think of. Honestly pyriuh should just use sheik or go back to fox

Synnett

Alligator Lord
I know you are joking a bit, but...

What about ICs? It's definitely not just Peach.

Sheik, Puff, and Falcon are pretty hopeless as well, Falcon actually has combos on Bowser that he can't even pull off on anyone else (because of Bowser's massive size.)

Keep on trying with Bowser, I'm all for Low Tier heroes. But definitely practice a top tier that you like as well, you might regret it if you don't.
IC's are easy to separate with Bowser. I know they are annoying with their grab but with enough patience you can plow through their defense and rekt them hard. Koopa Klaw their shield and fthrow hits both of them.

For Puff, her rest setups doesn't work on Bowser for some reasons, so he's really hard to actually rest, which is ironic because everyone picks Puff for "easy rests" against you. The wall of pain is difficult to get through but you can kill her at 50%, it gets pretty even here. Pick a stage with low ceiling lol.

Sheik is the worst matchup in the game. But learn to space your fair properly, or tipper, and you just plow through all her aerials. She can chain grab you hard, but once you learn how to DI out of it it isn't that bad, and you can actually do the same thing with her. Down throw then flick the stick toward her to get a short dash then stop here. You are right in front of where she landed and you can cover all of her options. Her recovery sux. You can instant noodle the ledge and if she lands on stage you can koopa klaw backthrow from the ledge and she can't come back.

Falcon shouldn't even be a character Sakurai messed him up too much.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Yeah Bowser definitely beats IC's he is KinG Ko0pS xDDD. Really though he's got like a 9 frame jump squat he has no business beating anyone above like Roy tier unless you completely outclass the opponent. Having your only possible way to play the game be entirely read dependent basically means that your character is entirely useless

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
So I guess Young Link and DK no longer exist? At least those two have the mobility needed to put in work.
YL, yes.
DK, I'd have to say no.

DK only really has great easy combos on FFers but even then they will eat him alive harder because of his size. He does have an easier time with Peach, Sheik, Marth compared to other Low Tiers but he still loses hard to ICs and Puff. Those MUs are pretty much unwinnable. I think there is untapped potential with DKs Giant punch tech chasing, CC grabbing, and his Up-B edge guarding, but all his aerials are still pretty weak in comparison to large characters like Ganon or top/mid tiers

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
It's gonna be Samus. Just look at the rankings. It's already happening.

Luigi is probably the next. I'd like to say pika, but there aren't enough high level pika mains yet. We'll see I guess.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Why are people talking about mid-high tiers?

Didn't the OP ask about Low tiers?

I agree with Samus, Luigi and Pika still having room to improve....but that's like majority opinion isn't it? How much farther can they go up, they are kind of already there.

DoomCake196

Smash Apprentice
Young Linkis considered mid at this point and dk is good? I have never played him.
So I guess Young Link and DK no longer exist? At least those two have the mobility needed to put in work.
l isn't

Top Bottom