• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who do you guys use as secondaries?

jollypong

Smash Cadet
I'm thinking about making fox my main but i have some matchups that i really struggle with. I'm thinking about having a secondary for fox and i have boiled it down to sheik or puff. Who do you think would cover more of fox's matchups better? Who do you guys secondary? I would like to know some good combinations to think about and maybe use.

Wakening

Smash Rookie
Out of curiosity, what are the matchups you're struggling with that you want to cover with secondaries?

Wakening

Smash Rookie
I`ve only been playing fox for a couple months, but from what I hear and my own experience, all three of those matchups are quite fox favored.

Peach and Puff are pretty slow, so as long as you don`t play too aggressively you can outrun them in the neutral, so SHL (or SHDL if you can consistently) and get them to approach you and they`ll be at a decent disadvantage.

Sheik`s main weapon against you is her dthrow tech-chase, which can seem horrible if you start to panic. Make sure you mix up your DI and tech rolls, try to go for tech in place shine a little more often than the others because it`s the hardest to react to.

Fox is good. Like he`s absurdly good. Developing a single character well is almost always be a better option than picking up a secondary (especially when your character only has favourable or even matchups). Just keep practicing.

Last edited:

yttik

Fox and Falco are a good combo and easy to play if you understand one of them.

Arctic_

Smash Rookie
you dont need a pocket you're playing fox just learn the mu's.

only one i have a pocket for is a pocket marth cause fox dittos are aids

Charple

Smash Rookie
I dual main Marth and Fox. It's not like a matchup thing it's just for when I'm not feeling fox or I'm just in the mood for Marth :p

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
sometimes i use falcon vs marth or falco vs fox if i'm having a really off day but i don't have a dedicated secondary. i have a decent falco but i don't pull it out much. i think my falco is more consistent than my fox because falco's just a really easy character imo and i think i'm better at the marth matchup with falcon than i am with fox. but i play them maybe 20% of the time at most. i think it's generally a lot better to watch videos and learn the matchups you're struggling in, theorycraft and then refine your ideas about them through practice

Foar

Clorox Warrior
People have stated that the most efficient secondary a fox main could have is Marth. In my opinion if you have faith in your main a secondary really isn't needed. (Especially if you main Fox.)

Top Bottom