• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who are your mains so far... how do you feel about the characters?

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
So far only Pit, but I haven't played much, and have only unlocked Ness so far, not even playing the majority of the characters yet...

Pit is awesome, and I like his FS a lot more than I originally thought I would.

Link got completely nerfed, I hate him now, and you have to be so close to do his FS, although it is so awesome when it hits.... Link was my Main from both Melee and 64, but he won't be in this one, he's just more complicated to control and I hate how his spin-slash has to charge now, I used to love just quickly pulling that off to know people off the stage, it was so quick, so powerful, and so cheap, but not anymore.

MK isn't bad, he's pretty good and his FS is better than originally let on but I haven't missed with it yet unlike Links, but Fox and Kirby are terrible to transition to from Melee, they're no were near as good, and I hate the Landmaster, I can't believe there are three of them, because of it, I'm going to stay away from Fox, Falco, and probably Wolf. Diddy is not the best, but he's ok...

I kinda had hoped they had waited on Brawl instead of aiming for launch title, so they could have more Wii feel characters. Like Galaxy Mario instead of Sunshine, or some Radiant Dawn key character representation.

I still wish they had Krystal with her staff and Isaac with his sword, Psynergy, and a Judgment FS, they would have been my mains along with Pit and Sonic, and Megaman if he had made it as well. Oh well, I guess I can always wait till SSB4, but I'm already about to turn 20... I'll be old by the time it comes out :(

KJEveryday

Smash Cadet
Oh God, Lucario is the perfect character for me. I would use Mewtwo in Brawl constantly for fun and only win a few matches between my friends. Now, I unlock Lucario and it's like Christmas. He's everything good about Mewtwo (Except the teleporting and funny weapon holding) without any of the negatives... AND HE GETS BETTER WITH MORE DAMAGE DONE TO HIM. He is sooo sweet.

( Also, peach is better and I'm pretty happy. :-D )

Falco for BRAWL

Smash Cadet
i think lucario is too slow, pit isnt strong enough,
olimer is a pain, havent even played captain falcon yet,
falco owns.

i love the game, and ive only played for one hour.

andytw710

Smash Cadet
After going through all of ones you get at the start (plus Marth and Ness) I like Diddy (surprisingly), Peach, Bowser, Marth, and Pit the most.

Peach really surprised me, I thought she was going to be nerfed but she got really good.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
Melee Mains: Shiek/ Puff
Brawl Mains: Wario/Ivysaur

...iunno how I feel about my Puff and Olimar in the moment, but as I'm playing my friends, Wario and Ivysaur have that Melee-like floatiness that I enjoy, bleh.

DiscoShark

Smash Apprentice
Ike is an absolute monster for one. All his smashes do incredible damage and the final smash is oh so satisfying. I...hate dedede. Funny considering I always found him to be an awesome character. Wario is another unexpected love. His unorthodox attacking styles really make him a 1 of a kind experience. Also, Wario Man + Bike = Roadkill.

Dx-pyrohunter64

Smash Apprentice
so far for me, I've unlocked everyone but jiggs lol, get around to that later. but I've played everyone and the ones that I feel most comfortable with are Pit, Lucario, Snake, and Dedede. If I'm really trying to win a match I'm usin Pit though lol.

batsman415

Smash Cadet
I was originally going for Pit as my main and P. Trainer as my secondary, but after playing for a while, P. Trainers prolly gonna be my main. Pit just doesnt have enough kill moves. But P.Trainer on the other hand......

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
I only got to play about a dozen matches with the starting characters :(

Of the new starting characters, I liked Lucas and Olimar the most. I also like how Pikachu plays. I'll have to change my Pika playstyle though since the upsmash has been nerfed.

Stratovarious

Smash Cadet
Squirtle is really the only character I REALLY like so far.
My melee mains were peach and sheik, and I dont like either of them in Brawl. I have only unlocked, Ness Captain, and Luigi, so I may take a liking to someone else eventually, but as of now, only squirtle..

I would like to main Olimar.. but i am just horrible with him.

The Drizzle

Smash Cadet
Haven't played everyone. Focused mainly on Pit, who out of my group at least, I think I'm pretty good so far. I'll probably pick the game up in a week or two, but I'm just playing it at other peoples places for now.

dude984

Smash Cadet
Currently, I've picked up Pit really naturally. Even though he's kinda weak, to me it's easy to rack up damage and then land that final killing blow. I'm also pretty good with Olimar. I'd like to get better with Sonic as well...I really need to work on him.

In any case...

Solo
1. Pit-Suprisingly, my absolute favorite in terms of gameplay. Excellent for my quick-natured fighting style. Includes range and flight with quick attacks to easily rack up damage. Palutena's Army to works very well to distract my opponents, allowing me to score a few kills along the way.
2. Olimar-I've also naturally picked up Olimar, also to my suprise. I've learned a lot of (but not all) of his intricacies and his gameplay really appeals to me. Pikmin Chain works very well as an attack and recovery, and the Pikmin managing really works in great depth. While not my best, I absolutely love Olimar. Great in 4-player brawls as well.
3. Sonic-I'm a fan of speed. I'm a fan of Sonic. His speed is something i need to get used to, but he's excellent in my opinion. To hit with a forward smash, run across the stage and attack with another is just great. I need work, but it'll come eventually. I'm a fan...

Team Specific
1. Captain Falcon-My friend and I team up as two Captain Falcons. 'Nuff said! Falcon PUNCH!!!
2. R.O.B./Mr. Game & Watch-I like 'em both, but need more work with them.
3. Lucas-I liked Ness....I like Lucas as well. Works well for me as a support character in a team match...

KaosAssassin

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't call him my main (since I haven't unlocked everybody yet) but I'm best with diddy so far. I've tried out a couple of other people but diddy is the one I like most so unless Wolf is good I'll probably stick with diddy

Calixto

Smash Apprentice
I am loving the Luigi-fication of Ganondorf, being able to use the Volcano Kick and the Warlock punch in battle is a godsend.

Snake is shaping up to be one of my favorite newcomers, planting explosives left and right is oh so sweet.

I like the new Kirby. His new dash attack and newfound combo abilities with fair and up+b more than make up for his inability to kirbycide with back/forward throws.

ibeplu

Smash Rookie
Lucas - Deadly attacks across the board. Amazing for timed matches, 4 player matches, and especially cheap in laggy wifi matches. Crappy *** recovery... but that power is just too beast.

Game & Watch - He got a huge boost from melee (or stayed the same while the rest got nerfed) his dsmash is beastly, and he can attack after his recovery. His tilts / aerials are all great. MANHOLE SPAM.

Shiek/Zelda - shiek is still great. downsmash and the ftilt to fair combo never fail! Not a really good choice for timed games due to lack of killing power.

I'm really interested in getting good with snake and olimar... both are complete madness.

Toonist

Smash Rookie
Surprises: Pit (I overuse his side B)
Diddy Kong: Monkey Fu is absurdly fun
Snake: Don't like his specials, but his normal attack are fun
Kirby: I'm better with him in Brawl than Melee, strangely
ZS Samus: more fun than PowerSuit Samus!
Expected: Pikachu, Pokemon trainer (Squirtle: the REAL ninja turtle), Sonic (not good with him yet)

I haven't unlocked Toon Link yet, but I think he might be fun to play.

Of those I have unlocked, I'll probably main Pokemon Trainer.

Best101

Smash Ace
Falco is still my main (i still kick butt with him in this game)
And Link is my second best character. I don't see anything wrong with him, I combo pretty well with him actually.

Bodknocks

Smash Rookie
NNID
austonwithano
I've been playing a lot of Ike so far. Olimar is so much fun, but I don't feel like I understand him enough yet. Out of the returning characters, to my great surprise I've been digging Donkey Kong, who I deplored in the first two games of the franchise. He feels so much better in Brawl, unlike several other veteran characters.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Surprisingly I really like Wario. He seems like he could be really good. His aerials seem like some really good priority. I love his tilts for some reason lol, they're weird how they have some start up lag, I think they're even slower than his (uncharged) smash moves lol. He's also got some decent recovery with his motorcycle and the occasionally charged up waft XD.

boxelder

Smash Apprentice
I actually really like what they've done with Mario. I WILL find some use for F.L.U.D., if it kill me, but even without it he's pretty fast and strong, with good priority and decent combo skills. Dedede is fun as well.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Well, you know that feeling when you are an absolute fan of a character, and you want nothing more than to wave the flag and then proceed to use that same flag as a kabob stick to ram up the rears of the opposition as a glorified "screw you I am da bomb" sort of action?

Ok, so imagine my orgasm when I realized that my favorite character ever, Olimar, happens to be a straight up beast and that the flag I am carrying happens to be extra sharp. :)

Case and point; Olimar is the man.

Ruckus

Smash Cadet
South San Francisco, California, United States, No
i only played 6 or 7 online matches with freinds made from smash boards
and for some reason when im dedede i usually win maybe i won 4 rounds of 7 i think
but i think because dedede is good at punishing people with hard hits when they slip up.
his style is more dodge and hit let the other person make the first movve and throw alot of waddle dees and then one of them will be a lazer eyball that will help alot. i'd say 20 percent of thrown waddle dees will be a lzaer one. THE HAMMER IS HUGE!

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
so far for me, I've unlocked everyone but jiggs lol, get around to that later. but I've played everyone and the ones that I feel most comfortable with are Pit, Lucario, Snake, and Dedede. If I'm really trying to win a match I'm usin Pit though lol.
That's funny... Jigs was the last for me too. Forgot for awhile that unlocking more chars = unlocking more event matches, like in Melee. XD

As for characters... almost all seem fairly well-balanced... though I can't play Link or Yoshi very well... and Sheik is too different to judge just yet. Marth is already my best by far (was best/tied for best in Melee, so easy transition... Falco, my other good char.... not so smooth of a transition... dunno if I'll pick him back up or not). I also have trouble with Zamus, but haven't put a ton of effort in, so that's prolly why. Half the problem is the unique recovery and that her Down Smash just stuns instead of directly attacking (like Snake... I seem to down smash by instinct in certain cases... doesn't go so well with those two).

I am also absolutely loving the new Kirby, he is so buffed up compared to Melee. He and Ness were my mains in Smash 64, so it's really nice to see him playable/upgraded. The hammer hits so hard... and isn't impossible to hit with. He just... doesn't suck anymore, lol. My friend (huge Kirby fan, even outside of Smash) and I were really happy half the time Kirby was laying some smack down... it's just nice to see.... now I just need to learn how to play Ness again, lol.

Haven't really picked a main... still playing practically everybody. I'll prolly stick with Marth again, but he won't be my only one. I get bored playing a single character all the time (and I've seen some people talking about match ups and character counters, so I should find what counters Marth, and pick up a counter for his counters, lol).

Diddy Kong: I was doing really good with him while playing with my friends. A tad limited in kill moves (forward smash, down smash, fair... basically... and dair as a spike or if they're on the ground at high percents). They already hate Diddy and his nanners. :) His recovery is a little funky, though. Cool part is that you can use side B and then rockets, if need be (as long as you don't double tap B when going to the side and stick your foot out).

Dedede: Played him a bit... sucked at first, but now I know not to spam his smashes. Actually pretty decent. His down B (Ima chargin' mah hammah!) is actually usable, though it can be hard to get the hit off. Very mobile (can walk and single jump with it). Waddle Dee spamming is great, and his B inhale can suck up lots of items (Wario can with his bite as well) including nanners, peanuts, turnips, and lots of explosives (including Bob-ombs... though all explosives make you take 5% damage, can't eat Samus missiles or Sheik needles). He has a lot of potential... might have to practice with him more.

Ike: Seriously strong. While slow, I can still connect with lots of his moves... but that's almost certainly partially thanks to everyone being newb at the game right now.

Falco is weird. The lasers are still easy to annoy people with. The shine is really weird. Will definately take awhile to transition from Melee Falco (and I wasn't even close to tourney good with Falco, though more than enough to waste most random people).

Sonic will require work. He's easy to write off at first glance, but he has a lot of potential. So far I see Forward smash and back air (has a delay coming out, which sucks), and his Down Smash (to a slightly lesser extent) as his good knockback kill moves. Dashing into an Up smash is sweet (or grabs/shieldgrabs, of course). Once his air game gets ironed out (that spring has lots of possibilties) we may see more streamlined ways to kill with him. He simply runs too fast and can get in the air too quickly (thanks to spring) to be really ignored. He's just kinda hard to get used to because he's so floaty in the air, but greased lightning on the ground.

Wario: I hate Wario Waft. My friend and I have killed ourselves off the top of the stage 2-3 times using it at full charge so far. -.- That's just using the move, not getting hit. I can't pull that off with Dedede's up B, which is super high. Wario's Up B can, and probably should, be used for attacking as it does really good damage. I also found something in training mode. If you up B from the ground/after one jump, you'll of course be in a disabled state. If you get hit of that, though... you WILL have your second jump (plus Bike, of course) to recover. If you used your second jump before Up B and get knocked out of it, then you don't get the second jump back. Really cool, since Up B can do around 20% or so with decent knockback (killed with it around 150% or so once). His recovery takes getting used to. I can't think of a good reason to ever pull your bike out on stage, as you can't risk losing it and not having it for recovery.

Really looking forward to getting better at Brawl and diving deeper into the game... though I'll be hating tripping every second -.- (think the game calls 'em prat falls in records... not sure, hope there's a Dojo update the gives a good reason, though I won't hold my breath).

Silverline

Smash Apprentice
It's a little to early for me to say WHO's going to be my main (Considering I got the game last night.) but I do have quite a few characters I'm rather fond off, though I'll have to play more before deciding who to main as in the end.

Wolf: Outta all the characters I've played so far, I like Wolf the best in terms of gameplay so far. I've always been a fan of the slower, stronger characters, and while Wolf is by no means the slowest or strongest of those characters, he's still got a lot to offer. One thing I've noticed about him most which I thought was interesting was his lack of combo moves. One thing I've always said about brawl was that it was more combo centric then Melee was, and yet here's a character who has only a few combos to his name (His up B being the only move alone that does more then 3/4 hits). Of course, this is just his moves alone. I bet he'll open up tones of new combos when the pros start strining moves togeather. On an unrelated note, I happen to love his White and Red costume the best.

King DeDeDe (AKA D3): Like I said, I'm a fan of the slower characters, and D3 was right up my alley, me being a Kirby fan and all. I was surprised by the ammount of easy combos that D3 was able to pull off, and it helps when your going up against the old high teirs (Sheik, Fox. Mind you, I say Old because Tiers haven't been decided yet.) I LOVE his Up B, though I gotta learn how to stop it better, since I've sucided with it quite a few times. Gotta say I was surprised when you could EAT you're Waddle Doos/Dees, making me wonder about wiether or not the Penguin was practicing canabalism when I realised that Kirby's no different throught ALL of his games.

Samus: Since I've been mostly playing as the Newcomers, I haven't been able to go into much gameplay with my old main, especially with how she's changed. However, my Woman in Armor is still quite strong, and delightfully more floaty which is a bit of a blessing when it comes to returning to the stage. I now annoy my brother with her Up B for a quick combo, something that just wasn't as prominate in Melee (in terms of feel and appearance of course). Zamus I've used only sparingly so far, and I must say she's a bit more trickier then I'd thought. The lack of a third jump and the use of of the Teather recovery is something I'm still getting used to with all the characters that have it (Ivysaur, Olimar) and I've yet to been able to use her Down B properly, at least to where it'll have a good use to me.

Wario: When the game was announced, this is there character I wanted to main. Now that I've played him, he might be loosing that spot to Wolf. He's a fun character, there's no doubt about that, and his moves are VERY FAST, making multiple hits that don't string togeather automaticly (IE, his Up B) rather easy. So far, though, my issues with Wario have been centered around his lack of good kill moves and his fart. Personally, I'm rather dissapointed that I gotta wait two minutes to get a usefull fart outta Wario, and that in itself is hard to use, especially when you're up against characters like Fox and Sonic. As for Kill moves, I haven't played Wario enough to know all the little details to his attacks, but I do know that his Down smash sucks when it comes to killing someone, despite looking hilarious.

Not going to go as in depth in these ones, but passing thoughts of the characters.

Snake: Suprised that he was as slow as he was, his unique smashes will take some getting use to.

Mario: Hate Fludd, it's an absolute nightmare trying to use that thing correctly.

Olimar: A freaking Rubix's Cube. You've gotta REALLY know what you're doing if you're going to main him and WIN.

Ness: Though changed from Melee (all the old characters have changed at least slight) I wish he had a few new things up his sleeve. Again, I haven't played much as him, so I've yet to see if there is something there that I haven't stumbled on yet.

Toon Link: Was surprised to actually find a bit more difference in him then I thought there was. It may be small, but his Up Smash is completely different from Links, where as I had thought that all of Toon Link's moves were identical in animation, just a different character.

And if anyone actually takes the time to read/reply to all that, you get a cookie.

Mr Mattastic

Smash Journeyman
Ivysaur so far, Bullet seed can lead to some pretty nice stuff but that might change once I start to get into a more competive atmospheres. We're having problems with wi-fi right now so we've been having to substitute at least two computers into matches.

Diddy has some really nice moves in the air, he doesn't feel as lofty as everyone else and over all just fun to play with.

Wario and DeDeDe have got some really cool moves. Everything about Wario is so bizzare from his run, to his aerials, to his smashes and DeDeDe has got alot of pretty power moves.

A big suprise to me so far is the melee low-tier most notably game and watch. I did some wicked things with him last night and will be at least a force to be reckon with.

Overall I play at least ever character once except Fox and Marth and a few characters twice but even after puttting about 8 hours into the game, I still haven't played anyone enougth to say who I will main but it might be Diddy or PkMN Trainer depending on how well Wifi turns out.

TimelessWind88

Smash Rookie
I'm liking Ike and Marth the best, still. Pit is fun but a little hard to use well in my opinion. Diddy Kong, on the other hand, really surprised me. He is so much fun to play with! Banana peels FTW.

Joppi

Smash Rookie
Currently, among my top characters are Ike, ROB, Mr. Game and Watch, and Pokemon Trainer.

I can easily see PT ending up as my main, he's ridiculously versatile. Game and Watch is just Melee Game and Watch, but a ton better. I honestly felt nearly no difference in him (other then him killing people much quicker, and the inherent ^B into Aerial attack).

Those are really just first impressions, since I spent most of the day playing SSE, where I mostly played ROB since he was heavy and powerful.

Top Bottom