• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who are you thinking of maining?

Essora

Smash Cadet
Simple enough topic. Who do you want to main? Who do you want to secondary, who are you just interested in trying out and taking to the lab, and who even do you expect to play for casual friendlies? One of my favorite things about Smash season is the characters, seeing who made it, seeing tweaks to familiar characters, and even thinking about what I'm gonna try to do when I get my hands on the game
1535323363.png

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
This is a dime-a-dozen question, but I'll play along. Gives me a chance to post this.

interest tier list.PNG

smnashysm1

Smash Rookie
Also, I do plan on playing every single character to get a feel for them, then after that I will decide on who to main. I want to see what I enjoy playing the most before I seriously start maining someone.

The_Killah29

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ta1nted_4ngel29
Switch FC
SW-6336-0165-8517
My mains from 64: :link64::jigglypuff64:
My mains from Melee: :linkmelee::younglinkmelee::jigglypuffmelee:
My mains in Brawl: :lucario::olimar::link2::toonlink::sheik::jigglypuff::wolf:
My mains in Wii U: :4villager::4lucario::4link::4tlink::4sheik::4jigglypuff::4olimar::4ryu:
My mains in Ultimate: :ultinkling::ultrichter::ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultsheik::ultwolf::ultlucario::ultjigglypuff::ultolimar::ultryu::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus: (plus whoever else looks good)

Last edited:

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
I've never really mained a character, but here's the likelihoods for me.
Definitely::ultpichu::ulttoonlink::ultganondorf::ultzelda:Isaac
Any Cute::ulticeclimbers::ultjigglypuff::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultlucas::ultness::ultyounglink::ultvillager:
Others::ultbowser::ultlink::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultluigi::ultmario::ultkingdedede::ultyoshi:
Maybe::ultfalcon::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultdoc::ultgreninja::ultlink::ultinkling::ultkrool::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultgnw::ultpokemontrainer::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultwario::ultwiifittrainer:
Not Likely::ultbowserjr::ultmegaman::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit::ultridley::ultrob::ultroy::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultsheik::ultshulk::ultike::ultmiifighters:
No::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultduckhunt::ultfalco::ultfox::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultpit::ultrobin:ultrosalina::ultchrom::ultryu::ultsonic::ultwolf:
Definitely No::ultbayonetta::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultzss:

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
My main will likely remain:ultmewtwo: and if the fighters were ported from Smash 4, I will likely keep my old secondaries (:ultjigglypuff:, :ultkingdedede:, :ultrosalina:, & :ultsonic:) if they haven't changed for the worse like some the fighters I liked from Brawl did (:wario:). I plan on picking up :ultinkling:, :ultridley: & :ultkrool:. It seems over-the-top to pick up three of the four newcomers, but these are three characters I've been dying to see in Smash. I doubt we'll be getting anymore characters I'd use. Of the remaining 7 or 8 highest anticipated characters, I'm not interested in any of them.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Ultimate Maining Predictions V1.4B.png

Edit: Adjusted Roster Placements, as well as Tier Rephrasing to be more concise.

Attachments

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Characters I'll main: :ultjigglypuff::ultlittlemac::ultmewtwo::ultmiifighters::ultolimar::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdarkpit::ultrobin:ultsamus::ultrichter::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultzelda::ultzss::ultdoc::ultness:
Characters I'll try out: :ultbayonetta::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultfalcon::ultdk::ultduckhunt::ultgnw::ulticeclimbers::ultike::ultinkling::ultkingdedede::ultkirby::ultlink::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultpichu::ultpit::ultpokemontrainer::ultrosalina::ultshulk::ultvillager::ulttoonlink:
Characters I'll play as once in a while: :ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultdiddy::ultfalco::ultfox::ultganondorf::ultgreninja::ultluigi::ultmario::ultmarth::ultmetaknight::ultdaisy::ultpikachu::ultpit::ultroy::ultchrom::ultryu::ultdarksamus::ultsheik::ultsimon::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultwario::ultwolf::ultyoshi::ultyounglink:
Characters I'll act like they don't exist: :ultridley::ultkrool:

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
I am always going to go with my boy ROB but besides that - Simon Belmont and if he's revealed then Incineroar

D

Deleted member

Want to Main:
:ultmiifighters::ultbowser::ultganondorf::ultinkling::ultmario::ultlucina::ultgnw::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultrob::ultrosalina::ultryu::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultpokemontrainer::ultroy:

Want to play often:
:ultbowserjr::ultfalcon::ultcorrin::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultgreninja::ultike::ultkingdedede::ultkrool::ultkirby::ultluigi::ultmarth::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultpacman::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultrobin:ultchrom::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultsheik::ultsnake::ulttoonlink::ultwiifittrainer::ultwolf::ultyoshi::ultyounglink::ultzelda::ultzss:

Want to play less often:
:ultfox::ultfalco::ulticeclimbers::ultjigglypuff::ultlink::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultness::ultolimar::ultpit::ultsonic::ultvillager::ultwario:

Not even interested:
:ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultdarkpit::ultshulk:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Main/Usually playing: :ultrobin
Interested in picking up/Occasionally playing: :ultpokemontrainer::ultwario::ultvillager::ultolimar::ultmarth:
Everyone else/Sometimes playing: :ultbayonetta::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultfalco::ultfox::ultganondorf::ultgreninja::ulticeclimbers::ultike::ultinkling::ultjigglypuff::ultkingdedede::ultkirby::ultlink::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultluigi::ultmario::ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultmiifighters::ultgnw::ultness::ultpacman::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultrob::ultrosalina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultryu::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultsheik::ultshulk::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultsonic::ulttoonlink::ultwiifittrainer::ultwolf::ultyoshi::ultyounglink::ultzelda::ultzss::ultisabelle:
Won't even touch/Never playing: :ultridley::ultkrool:

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Always & Forever Main: :ultdiddy:
Steadfast Secondaries: :ultdk::ultike::ultmewtwo::ultkrool:
True Teritiaries: :ultness::ultsheik::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultmarth::ultlucina:
Playing For Fun: :ultfalcon::ultcorrin::ultsamus::ultchrom::ultroy::ultganondorf::ultfox::ultpichu::ultpokemontrainer::ultyoshi::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultlucas:
Wouldn't Quit Match If Chosen As Random: :ultgreninja::ultkirby::ultlucario::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultlittlemac::ultdoc::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultsimon::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultridley::ultrobin:ultdarksamus::ultgnw::ultwario::ultzelda::ultsnake::ultryu::ultrob::ultrosalina::ultpalutena::ultolimar::ultwiifittrainer::ultrichter::ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultvillager:
Not Picking Ever: :ultsonic::ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultpacman::ultmiifighters:

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
To answer the topic at hand:
1535540976622.png

"Mains" are the characters I will play seriously - my Brawl main, my Smash 4 main and my most wanted newcomer for a very long time.

"Secondaries" are characters I have enjoyed a lot in the past and hope to get to a level where playing them won't be considered sandbagging - though realistically will be played much less than my top 3.

"Also Enjoy" are the characters I like and expect to enjoy playing, even if I won't put serious time into them.

"Occasionally" are the characters I've no strong feelings for either way, and will play for a laugh if I fancy.

"Worse versions" are characters I won't play because there's another character on the roster I deem similar enough to them that I won't play them solely for that reason. My actual feelings on the characters vary; I've no intrinsic dislike for Mario whereas I flat out don't enjoy Lucas.

"No" consists of those characters who I flat out won't play seriously, because I dislike either the character, their moveset, or both.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Main/Usually playing: :ultrobin
Interested in picking up/Occasionally playing: :ultpokemontrainer::ultwario::ultvillager::ultolimar::ultmarth:
Everyone else/Sometimes playing: :ultbayonetta::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultfalco::ultfox::ultganondorf::ultgreninja::ulticeclimbers::ultike::ultinkling::ultjigglypuff::ultkingdedede::ultkirby::ultlink::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultluigi::ultmario::ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultmiifighters::ultgnw::ultness::ultpacman::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultrob::ultrosalina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultryu::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultsheik::ultshulk::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultsonic::ulttoonlink::ultwiifittrainer::ultwolf::ultyoshi::ultyounglink::ultzelda::ultzss:
Won't even touch/Never playing: :ultridley::ultkrool:
I see, so you are a man of culture as well.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't even understand how people wouldn't wanna play Ridley or King K.Rool. I never felt that much for Ridley, but am sure gonna try him out.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't even understand how people wouldn't wanna play Ridley or King K.Rool. I never felt that much for Ridley, but am sure gonna try him out.
They don't look that interesting and I don't have any positive feelings or memories about the characters. Plus, there are over 70 characters I prefer to them, it's not that hard to get.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I seem to favor :ultpit::ultpalutena::ultbowser: as my main trio, but that can easily change depending on things, though I'm planning on keeping Pit no matter what. I do want to try :ultsamus::ultzss: for reasons featuring Pit.

:ultkrool: is one I may try out for childhood memories of playing the DKC trilogy on the Super Nintendo.

Should Phosphora or a Monster Hunter character make it in and I can get into their style, one may replace Bowser as my top 3 mains. I'm actually waiting for the full roster to be revealed to update my answer, and then playing the game for a while and seeing tiers to update my answers again. Pretty much it's current mains to mains after seeing full roster, to mains after playing for a while.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
There are so many characters I have an interest in, I figure it's easier to make one of those tier list images for it.

Top Choices are the current top 3 characters I'm most interested in. Unless I end up hating playing as them for whatever reason, these three are very likely to be amongst my mains or secondaries.

Strong Interest is the list of characters who are likely to be secondaries. I probably won't pick every single one of them up, but it's likely that several from this pool will end up on my top played characters.

Fair Interest is where characters I'm more low-key interested in playing fall. There are so many here that there's no way I'll end up playing all of them, but some of them might end up on my list, it all depends on how they feel to me when I'm playing them.

Little Interest is characters I have, well, little interest in playing! It's unlikely anyone here will make my list, unless they end up really unexpectedly meshing with me.

No Interest is obvious. I have no interest in these characters at all, either because I have no attachment to them and/or their games, or I've historically disliked their moveset.

Also, characters are ordered within their tiers, i.e. I am overall more interested in playing Zelda than Pikachu or Shulk.

thespoiler

Smash Cadet
Ganondorf actually looks viable now. He was my main in Melee, but I couldn’t get behind him in Brawl or Smash 4 because of his nerfs and hideous appearance. He’s now returning to his Melee glory days, so I’m most interested in playing him.

In Smash 4, Charizard was my main, so I’ll try out Pokémon trainer and see if I like it. The fatigue mechanic is gone, which makes Pokemon trainer a better pick in my eyes...

And finally, Castlevania is one of my favorite franchises, so I can’t wait to try Richter and Simon.

Last edited:

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
I really want to try out Pokemon Trainer. With i-frames on down-b and no more forced switching, you essentially have three characters you can take into one fight making him a bit harder to counter-pick. I don't know how good he'll be but that kind of flexibility makes him seem really strong to me if you can take the time to get good at all three of them.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Going to learn every character but:

:ultmario: Always used him the most in all the games.

:ultganondorf: Played in Melee, favorite Nintendo villain, played him in all the games.

:ultdiddy: One of my fave characters picked him up in Brawl and so on.

:ultwolf: Same as Diddy, played those two almost exclusively.

:ultpacman: Love the Pac Man games, arcade and Adventures on Genesis, was so pumped when he got in, will continue to use him I find him very fun.

:ultkrool:He finally got in and I'm going to play him a ton.

Others that I'm interested in playing are :ultpokemontrainer::ultyounglink::ultsimon:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
1535559921.png

Mains are either characters I am already invested in from Previous Smash games, or in Richter's case, I really want to pick up.
Secondaries include characters I'm skilled at, but aren't as favored as my mains. Echoes of my mains are included here due to having the same moveset.
My pocket characters don't really have as much investment as my other characters, but hey they're fun to play seriously with.
The next tier is pretty much any character I switch around to in Friendlies often. I enjoy playing as them no matter if I'm great or garbage with them.
The last tier list are characters, that won't see much play as I don't have much drive to play as them. This doesn't mean I dislike the characters, but playing them isn't as likely as any of the others.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
:ultkrool: The King is here! While I was never super vocal about K. Rool, he's a character I've wanted in the game since Melee. He was the first main boss I ever defeated in a video game in DKC1. And based on the footage we've seen, he looks great. I'm extremely excited for him.

:ultridley: If K. Rool doesn't work out, Ridley is another iconic big boss who appears to play exactly like I hope he would. Large hitboxes, uses that tail, and has that amazing side B drag. He's another character I'm very excited for.

:ultmegaman: Megaman has always been my favorite video game character. His reveal in Smash 4 had me jumping out of my seat. He's tough to get used to playing in Smash, though, so I struggled to stick with him in 4. His pellet buffs look nice in Ultimate, though, and I plan to give him a solid chance again.

:ultshulk: I absolutely adore Shulk, and I even have a Gamecube Controller styled with Shulk things. I'm excited about his new Monado art shift buffs, and based on some other small clips, he may be significantly faster in some other places now too. He's very exciting to think about for the upcoming game.

:ultpalutena: (insert outdated Ugandan Knuckles meme) MY QUEEN! Best Nintendo waifu. I played her a ton in 4 even though I found her fairly underwhelming. Her new buffed counter/reflector looks sick, and she has explosive flame on side B now. I'm excited to see how she feels now.

:ultzelda: Last on my short-list of potential characters in Zelda. She's another character I played a lot in 4 even though she was underwhelming. The new animations for her have given her so much life, and I'm excited to try some of those phantom setups. I can't wait to see her pushed her new strengths.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I've always mained Link every Smash game so far. Zelda's always been my #2. (If you can't tell, I don't play competitive)

I've always played a lot of the Pokémon Trainer, but I'm so excited about him returning that he'll probably be fighting Zelda for the #2 slot. Mewtwo, Ridley, Ike, and Robin will also get a lot of play time. And I can't wait to try out Ridley and K. Rool.

Realistically though, there's only one possible newcomer that could convince me to change mains...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Where can I get the template to these sheets?

-Cr0w-

Smash Rookie
Mains no matter what: :ultcloud::ultmarth: (as long as either of them are in smash, I'm maining them even if they're somehow bad)

Secondaries: :ultmewtwo::ultroy:/:ultchrom: (Mewtwo looks CLEAN so I at least wanna try him. Roy is just a fun character imo, but if Chrom is better like I'm expecting, I'll play him instead)

Interested in: :ultrichter:/:ultsimon::ultyounglink::ultfalcon::ultike::ultkrool::ultridley: (Richter/Simon look OD. Yink is pure nostalgia. Falcon will def benefit from the new engine. Ike looks better, not as good as Cloud, but def worth trying. K Rool looks like a solid heavy and he was movin in that gameplay. For Ridley, I just wanna see whether or not this character is OP.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom