• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who are you and why do you play BB/TB?

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
OK. I thought, in a likely futile effort to revive this subforum, I thought I'd make a sort of introductions/thought provoking thread. Really, the idea is to introduce yourself and explain why you play With Anyone Wifi. This is really an effort to get more lurkers to make an account and start getting more involved, since I tend to see a lot of guests around here. But this can also apply to those who have been around here awhile.

To start, I'm FoxBlaze. I'm 15 and I've been playing Smash since I was a little kid, but I really started getting interested about two years ago. I'm a randoms main and I play some other fighters as well, but Smash will always be my favorite. I really play Wifi because there are so many different playstyles and strategies out there, and I feel like I learn something every day, even in a largely scrubby environment. I also believe TB can help you learn a lot about doubles as long as there is at least one other good player.

TLDR version: I'm boring.

Hope some lurkers and some of the people with a little more seniority around here as well will post. Don't be afraid if you're an inexperienced player, we need more people around here since our social died was slaughtered. Here are some useful threads as well:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=258320

^Thread breaking down the behavior of Taunt Parties

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=245367

^Thread explaining counter-taunter strategy/item choice.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=292157

^Thread to document all your BB/TB adventures and hopefully meet a few people from the boards.

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
This is an interesting thread. I might as well comment.

Hello, I'm Shade. I'm 14 and have been playing Smash since I was two. I didn't get way into it until about a year ago. You usually catch me flying around as Ness, Lucas, Tlink, all in purple or blue. I'm interested in fighting games, but you don't catch me on them much. People make fun of me because I'm a girl and play games, but then they acknowledge me when they find out I'm very good. Smash will always be my favorite. I play on Wifi for the same reason FoxBlaze does. I learn many things from everyone I fight against or with; may they be good or bad. I hate TB because I can actually fool around and get kills without me even trying. You can catch me on TB with the same people, on a Saturday/Sunday only after Midnight. Yeah, that's it.

I'm quite a boring person.

FIREL

Smash Ace
Hello, I'm FIREL. I've have been playing Smash since I was a little kid. I didn't get way into it until about a year and a half ago. You usually catch me flying around as any character but if there is someone who is decent in the room, I'll be Fire Luigi, Bluchu, Red Tink, or Black DK. Smash is the only fighter I play. It will always be one of my favorite. I play on Wifi for the same reason Shade does. I learn many things from everyone I fight against or with; may they be good or bad. I like TB simply because you actually get fights, though, I also go on BB occasionally. You can catch me on TB with the same people, at any time.

I'm pretty boring too...

kaazers

Smash Master
I'm Kaaz. I played a lot of Smash 64 and Melee when I was a little kid, but had no idea what I was doing. I started playing Brawl just under a year ago in the same manner. I remember getting massacred by another Ike during my first few weeks of Basic Brawl. I found him intentionally jumping to do an aerial (Fair) revolutionary. Yes, I was that bad.

(No, he wasn't that good.)

Not long after that I found out there was a whole forum for Smash Bros. games while looking for a place to find other people from BB. I made an account. Started reading up a little and watching some vids during summer break and here I am.

I play for the same reason FIREL doe-- lol, sadly I'm going to be the combo breaker. I pretty much exclusively play BB since it's a no-hassle way to start playing, and I just plain find it fun. I'm a casual player. Enough said.

I play mainly Ike and Snake. Any color. I sometimes mess around with Toon Link, Marth, Lucario and Ganondorf… but rarely. I learn one character at a time and I'm just now starting to get the hang of Snake.

...Do I get to count as boring, too?

(This thread wasn't a bad idea. Lurkers, now's a good time to make yourself an account, introduce yourself, and start posting about other people you've fought on WiFi -- it could be one of us, or it could be another lurker. You never know!)

Toadallstar2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BadInfluenceX
Hi, I'm a Zelda main as you may have guessed but I also play around with Peach and ZSS as my secondary mains. Other characters I play with are Ganondorf, and Diddy Kong. I've been on basic brawl for over 2 years now, and I'm still quite addicted. Basically the only wii game I play nowadays.

I'm a normal colored Zelda, and yes I'm a taunter. However it gets really boring when there's 4 taunters so I appreciate a good crasher. What I enjoy about Zelda when entering a Basic Brawl is the assumption that I'm not any good and I only spam F-Smash. It's fun to show them what a low tier Zelda can accomplish.

I'll join the boring bandwagon since I'm not really any more exciting either.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Right. I forget that GOOD Zelda players spam all smashes, xD. Can't forget that Nair either.

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
I'm TheZizz. My preference for Basic Brawl over Friend matches is manifold:

1. Convenience/availability/feasibility. I just can't maintain an active list because I routinely stop playing for months at a time.
2. Complete variety in stages, items and opponents.
3. A personal preference for FFA over 1v1.
4. Chaos and randomness to the nth degree, and the need for unconventional thinking to adapt and overcome insane situations.

I can't vouch for my non-boringness outside the game but in Basic Brawl at least no one can say I'm a lifeless sad sack. I am in fact fundamentally opposed to the kind of apathy and nihilism that pollutes Basic Brawl, and I search ceaselessly for the holy grail of three motivated and self-respecting players.

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
^lol...

i play it cuz its kinda like roulette.

you will most often tget crappy players.

but occasionally you might get a decent one arond the same level as you...

...or you might get one who would blow you away....

of course you also get *******s like a white metaknight who knows how to plank properly and does so the entire match or have groups gang up on you.:glare:

buuuut such is to be expected when you gamble.....

Sephy95

Smash Lord
Everyone/thing needs a hero. I'll be a hero to BB players EVERYWHERE. lol Not really...although at some points in my BB escapades I make saves to some players getting teamed on which is another reason I love BB.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
It's my propensity to **** the teamed on as well for his/her weakness. I LOL when I get teamers on Wifi because I don't even actually fight them. I just go Ultra Meta Prick mode, and merely plank, shark, IDC, Nado and Dair. :troll:

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
However it gets really boring when there's 4 taunters so I appreciate a good crasher.
Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. The "crasher" is putting himself out there to make a stand against that boringness and you're gonna set road blocks every step of the way. That's completely schizophrenic.

This is precisely why promptly leaving after an initial victory is the best course of action. So when a fourth dullard takes my place and there's no one left to project onto, they have two insipid minutes to reflect and take a long hard look at themselves.

Nintendo Fan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer-Robert1498
3DS FC
3050-7577-7020
hack EVERYTHING
I hate it when someone joins a taunt party and chooses the Homerun Contest stage. Eventually, everyone begins attacking eachother in Sudden Death and flies or walks off the screen to the end off the stage, falls off, and leaves.

Well, it all started when I first played my sister's friend's 64 with the original. Since I had never really experienced too many genres of gaming, I easily thought it was the best game I had ever played. Sadly, I moved from where I used to live (Florida) and left my sister's friend with her gaming console (she wasn't really using it and I coulve taken it but whatever). Then, during a neighbors Christmas party, all the kids were playing Melee. Me realizing it was the sequel to that 'fun game' (not remembering the title; the box wasn't on the floor; I didnt ask...nevermind), pretty much hogged the system the rest of the night. Yet, I didn't have a GameCube, didn't really contemplate on purchasing one, or even knew what the game was (yeah, I was that obsessed). Again I forgot about it. Finally, at another party, I noticed a new additioin to the series. This led to me purchasing a Wii during my vacation in Florida solely for Brawl and to feed my obsession. I've played Brawl just slightly less than every game I have played combined, and that's A LOT. However, playing BB obsessively isn't a bad thing in my opinion. ;)

I believe that the only reason I seem to play Basic Brawl so much is because of its diverse situations (items, stages, etc.), exciting challenges; and the enjoyment of learning new combos, messing around with glitches, people hacking (NOT HRC :glare:) and taunt partys.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
This is kind of like the "Why are you a Smasher?" thread. I have been playing Smash since I was a little kid. Like 5 years old. And I fell in love with the series and video games in general when I first played Melee.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. The "crasher" is putting himself out there to make a stand against that boringness and you're gonna set road blocks every step of the way. That's completely schizophrenic.

This is precisely why promptly leaving after an initial victory is the best course of action. So when a fourth dullard takes my place and there's no one left to project onto, they have two insipid minutes to reflect and take a long hard look at themselves.
This was the best post of the thread and possibly the subforum.

Twili

The Queen
Premium
NNID
dearlyxbeloved
3DS FC
3368-2389-1288
Switch FC
3149 6967 1296
I'm Twili, I'm 19 years old, I just joined this forum recently(very), but I've been playing Smash since I was a little kid.

Back when my sister and I would visit our cousins' house all the time, they had 64 on their console and I would constantly get beaten. But after a couple years we finally got it for ours and I mained Pikachu and really learned how to play the game. Unfortunately by then neither of them played any kind of game anymore, really.
Couple boring years later a friend introduced me to Melee, though I was highly skeptical at first. I usually am with new games like that, especially sequels to the ones I love as I try to heartily defend their old legend. Eventually I caved though, and I loved all the new features, especially the arrival of Zelda. Honestly before I'd ever even played any Zelda games besides Link's Awakening(first one I ever had, on emulator even), I can definitely say I loved her. I thought she was beautiful, powerful, and underestimated. I kinda forgot about Pikachu to main her instead, but of course I went back to the little yellow guy. He has a special place in my heart and always has, always will. If only I could put down two mains for Melee and Brawl; they'd definitely be Pikachu and Zelda.
And speaking of Brawl! About four years ago, another friend introduced me to Brawl, most likely the love of my life game. Instead of defending Melee like I had 64, I instantly fell in love with the gameplay, easier controls(imho), wiiremote+nunchuk combo, and, yes, Zelda again. I insanely loved her revamp from OoT to TP, and just as instantly fell in love with her dark palette. Enough to say I quickly brushed myself up to Brawl standards and once again perfected using both of them.

I go back every now and then to the older games for some nostalgia trips, but I'll probably stick with Brawl for the rest of my life if my child's heart has anything to say about it. Enough of my life story though, I digress; I recently discovered(yes I am god-awful slow here, so shush), that I could hook my wii up to our recently obtained verizon fios wifi, and squealed with delight when it worked and I entered online. No friends, I went to TB first, uneasy about going to BB thinking everyone would attack like rabid animals. Had some fun learning how people fight, but eventually I wandered into BB just to see what it was like, and expecting the worst, I found taunt parties. 'Nuff said.
I'm now an avid taunt partyist and I main BB for the parties. It's become an everyday thing; I love getting off work to go home and party it up. I'm a decent player but prefer to taunt among other tricks, and find it quite fun to annoy the occasional crasher and flee confrontation to see how well I can dodge and escape. I personally detest when other taunters turn into teamers on one person, it's a big thing that makes people hate us so much, so I try to avoid it when others are teaming on a crasher. Also, NO SPAMMING DIN'S FIRE HERE. Honestly Nayru's and Din's are my go-to moves, as well as LK, but I don't spam them. So hurrah.

ANYWAYS that's me, I main dark Zelda and default Pikachu, my secondaries are gold Link, green Peach, purple TLink, green ZSS, light PT, and I'm not so bad at Lucas. I main dark Zelda first always, so if you see one pop up in BB who ducks immediately, it's probably me. And/or if you see a combo of all of the above. Plus I'm a furious dashdancer and ledgerunner. BB for the parties, spamming taunts with others(Zelda/Link foreverrr), watching hacks and glitches, running from/taunting against crashers, occasional TB for da fights.
LONG POST IS LONG SORRY BUT IF YOU READ ALL THIS YOU DESERVE LIKE TEN GOLD STARS AND A COOKIE. Seriously, queen of boring here.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I am me. And I joined a bit after brawl came out to see what all the coolness was about. Brawl was my first Smash game, and I learned with the wii-chuck combo. I got this game -specifically- for the WiFi mode, because I had long since moved away from any of the friends I could play in person, and fighting games just suck in general against CPU/1-player modes.

After playing BB for a long time I decided to finally give TB a try. And I was hooked. Not only were the participants better at the game, but in general the atmosphere was more competitive than in BB.

It took me a while to settle on who I'd use in the game, but I still always choose Marth as my first pick after logging in, and I still main Kirby. I have developed Ike, MK and Snake as secondaries.

For a while we had a nightly get-together on this forum with anyone wanting to do wifi matches but lack of participation has resulted in the thread going dead. It may revive one day, who knows? But for now I'm content with W/A mode and TB. When I'm not playing something else, that is (like right now I just can't put FF12 down, it's sucked me in big time).

midna.

Smash Cadet
im a 14 year old who has played SSB for years. our n64 super smash bros broke when i was life 3 so i never really played that but when i was like 6 i started to play melee with my brothers which being older and smarter, my brothers smashed me and when i was like 10 or something we got SSBB i was so excited for it and when i finally got it it was the happiest moment of my life, SSB has really grown on me, and it was a game i always used play competitively with my friends as now, all my friends have grown and 'matured' and have moved on t games like COD and halo so they consider SSB a 'kids game' but i still play it with my younger bro who plays everything with me and we still have so much fun i also love going online on BB i would love to go on TB but there are never any players on TB, im always green marth, blue pikachu, green falco, green ike, and purple toon link (or blue)

Top Bottom