• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who are the best and worst developers in gaming?

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
For me,I'd say either Retro Studios or Naughty Dog, all of the games Retro has made have all been great, and they clearly have a lot of good talent, they are what Rare was to the N64, and as for Naughty Dog, they've constantly laid down hit after hit, and all of their games were great, the Uncharted games have been AMAZING, and the Last of Us should have been GOTY, not GTA V, though GTA V was a great game, it was nothing new, TLOU was more innovative,

Two Big Guys For You

Smash Cadet
I really like Hideki Kamiya's tweets and that's what got me to get Wonderful 101. Seriously way cuhrazyeer than I expected and I ****in love it. And in terms of like "I see that label i've gotta buy it" I think Retro Studios might do pretty good. I just played DKC2 Tropical Freeze so long because of the fifth temple I can only think of dead gorillas.

I don't really hate many devs, since I usually just don't care enough from word of mouth to try their games out. But I got Fez and felt emptier and extremely disappointed upon playing. I thought it was just not for me until I saw Phil Fish on twitter and his posts, and I was like " no it wasn't me it's you" in my head. Not gonna really go into detail at risk of getting doxxed or starting a flame war.

finalark

SNORLAX
I have to second Naughty Dog. I don't think I've ever played a game by them that I didn't like. Although Crash 1 hasn't really aged well and I'm sure if you dung into their pre-PS1 era games you'll find a few mediocre titles.

The real shame is that their once sister company Insomniac has gone down the tubes. The last great game they made was Ratchet and Clank Up Your Arsenal. Everything that came after that has been a roller coaster of quality.

I don't think there's any devs I really hate. Say what you will about EA (although I think that people blow EA's corporate nonsense way, way, way out of proportion) but I'll still keep buying Mass Effect games until the day that they decide to end the series or until the day I get sick of it. Unless a certain company is kidnapping orphans and melting them down to make game disks it's just dumb to boycott a company for trivial reasons like making the new Tomb Raider game Xbox exclusive.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Best for me? Maybe Nintendo on a software level. Even their controversial games due to gameplay shifts are still loved by people. They're a good company that knows how to make talented staff members get even better at their job, and that's great.

Worst? I'll actually list one that I thought used to be one of the best until recent times, and that's Capcom. My reasons won't be something petty like no Mega Man games or whatnot. I just don't like how the company is run anymore. They lost a lot of great talent by having people leave or get laid off, the opposite of Nintendo. They're sitting on a goldmine of IPs, but unfortunately I don't think Capcom has the talent in house to make use of it like they used to.

Booster

Smash Lord
Best for Software: A tie between Nintendo, Naughty Dog and Rockstar.

The Worst: Microsoft Rareware, hands down no comparison.

Worst Bootleg Game developer: Yong Yong. Pokemon Jade Edition, Sonic Adventure 7 and Sonic 3D Blast 5, if they were real games, would be the worst games ever made, making Microsoft Rareware look like N64 Rareware

Last edited:

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
Worst? I'll actually list one that I thought used to be one of the best until recent times, and that's Capcom. My reasons won't be something petty like no Mega Man games or whatnot. I just don't like how the company is run anymore. They lost a lot of great talent by having people leave or get laid off, the opposite of Nintendo. They're sitting on a goldmine of IPs, but unfortunately I don't think Capcom has the talent in house to make use of it like they used to.
They were releasing like two Mega Man games a year that no one was buying and no one cared until they cancelled one.

Twewy

Smash Lord
and no one cared until they cancelled one.
Four, actually.

I'd say, as a developer, Capcom's in-house companies make decent games. Dragon's Dogma is really good, or so I hear, and Capcom Vancouver's Dead Rising games are great. While unbalanced (look at me, saying that on Smashboards), Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 does have decent gameplay, too. Capcom makes good to alright games still, it's just their business practices aren't up to the same quality.

Individually, I'd say the worst developers are Zoe Quinn and Phil Fish. Phil's an egotistical jerk who talks big despite making one mediocre video game, and if the recent controversy is to believe, is an overall jackass so desperate for attention he would "dox" his own website, blame it on another website, and post illegal files concerning his employees and sales numbers he is under contract not to reveal. Zoe isn't a saint either, what with exchanging sex for positive press with five men, one of which is her boss (and he's married!), and the judge of the contest her "game" Depression Quest won, who like Phil Fish, would "dox" herself and blame another party, along with supposedly running a tax fraud operation.

I will agree with an above poster on Kamiya, Kamiya is a funny dude who makes great games, and he obviously does it with a love that should be expected of anyone in this industry. Being on Smashboards, I would have to nominate Sakurai himself for a great developer, hell I consider him an inspiration. Despite being handicapped by a hand injury, he never fails to work hard with his games, singlehandedly writing Kid Icarus Uprising and playtesting Smash Bros, even using all four controllers himself. He even has a great sense of humor (See: His Miiverse posts, "Have you ever made a game?").

Another personal favorite is Pixel, the dude behind Cave Story. As a guy interested in game design, it helps to have a major inspiration to you; some people have Miyamoto, others have John Carmack, I can't help but have Pixel be mine. In a five year timespan, he, by his lonesome, developed Cave Story, he filled every spot of a team by himself. Art, programming, music (even programming a program to make the game's music with!), testing, writing, everything. Someone who would work that hard to develop a video game deserves my respect, especially with the overall quality of the end result.

As a studio, I'd say Retro Studios is one of my favorites, due to the hard work they put into their titles, and their concept art is amazing. I still find it astonishing that they pulled off their very first game, Metroid Prime, extremely well, even when the majority of the critical opinion against them. Their treatment of Nintendo IPs is very well, and I can't help but respect them greatly. Non-Nintendo, though? I love Platinum for their fast-paced, action-y, awesome games. Vanquish is quite a thrill to play. Another favorite is Tripwire, for the amount of detail that goes into their products. Killing Floor has some of the most satisfying weapons to use in a video game, in my personal opinion, and it doesn't help that one of the main dudes is an avid gun collector. Hell, he probably breathes down the team's collective necks, stroking his beautiful Mosin Nagant passionately, forcing them to make sure the gunplay is great.

I'd say one of the worst studios would be Double Helix, due to their overall horrible quality of their products. Though I hear Strider and Killer Instinct turned out well. Bethesda is another development studio I can't say I'm fond of. While their products may be fun to play, they are extremely buggy. They also have the tendency to dumb down the gameplay of their sequels, or remove things.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Best? HmmmmMMMMMMM.
Too difficult. I'd say Uber Entertainment devs, or the Epic Games devs, solely because they are incredibly open about their development, responsive to the community, and inclusive. I like that. Heck, UT4 is being made open source!
Can't say the same about PA, but they still have rad modding API.

Worst? Zoe Quinn, primarily because she is a horrible person. Next I'd say Phil Fish for the same reasons.
:troll:

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
Four, actually.
Yeah but MML3 was the only one people cared about. Mega Man Universe was a cool idea but not even the trailers could hide how ass awful it looked, and no one lost a lot of sleep over the silent cancellations of an MMO and Mega Man Act Zero.

My point was that if one sees things with any sense of perspective instead of just getting mad because they made a business decision they don't agree with, Capcom is okay.

The controversy over the Street Fighter X Tekken DLC was especially ridiculous since:

a. Not including it on disc would mean that every player would have to download it before they could go online, taking up a bunch of hard drive space for something they can't use.

b. Arc develops a new Blazblue with three-four new characters, a few stages and a new arduous, unenjoyable story mode every year as a separate retail title with three DLC characters planned and no one complains.

c. Virtually every piece of DLC is planned far in advance of release and could have been included for free if the company wished it anyway.

As far as Zoe Quinn goes I'd prefer to focus on the other side of the equation because she made a good game and the guys she slept with are awful journalists aside from this incident but no one seems to agree with me.

Twewy

Smash Lord
she made a good game
I'd have to disagree with you on that, if your main focus is writing and the writing isn't good, you have failed in making a game. And no one agrees with you because the information on what Ms. Quinn did is very widespread, so everyone already knows what she did. If they don't, all it takes is a quick search in YouTube to see a good amount of the evidence.

Last edited:

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Best: Rare (1994 - 2002)
Worst: Rare (2002 - )

Self explanatory. When Rare was with Nintendo, they could make any type of game and make it a great one at that. Now we just have Wii Sports ripoffs.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
Best: Rare (1994 - 2002)
Worst: Rare (2002 - )

Self explanatory. When Rare was with Nintendo, they could make any type of game and make it a great one at that. Now we just have Wii Sports ripoffs.
To be honest, at times it feels like they are a whole new company now. Hardly any of the original Rare staff are left on the team.

Top Bottom